AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-08, 18:01   Link #221
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
So is the basic thinking now that studios just can't sell Mecha anime anymore without littering them with countless multi-national female pilots?

I mean, I just don't think at this point that there is any hope for ever getting another respectable and down to earth mecha series anymore.
Gundam AGE is pretty respectable and down to earth in my estimation, but nobodies watching it or giving it much of a chance cause of the character designs. Much as it is very kid friendly at times it still feels more like the type of mecha series I've come to know and love versus say Aquarion EVOL and Guilty Crown which clearly have no idea what they want to do with themselves other than flaunt their character design assets.

Also Rinne no Lagrange is still littered with female pilots, but it's actually been pretty decent mecha fare and feels like it's going to have more of a traditional slant to it in the long run. Also the characters are highly likeable, which is something that the likes of Aquarion EVOL and Guilty Crown have struggled with. Basically at this point not expecting too much out of any mecha series that is produced by Satelight or BONES seems like a pretty safe bet to me unfortunately. Both have some serious work to do in finding ways to be interesting again without falling back on the cute/hawt girl/guy pilots running around crutch.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 18:32   Link #222
aardvark

I thought the first episode of Lagrange was pretty bad. Sure the main character is kinda likeable, but when the show I'm reminded of the most afterwards is Fafner, then there is a problem...it just didn't make me feel like it was a show worth following.

These new E7 designs are also just depressing. They're so...anime, if that makes sense. Kenichi Yoshida is just so damn talented and brought with him a sense of style, and hell even sophistication, that I haven't seen from many other modern anime character designer, if any. Not only that, but he would create so many great designs for utterly minor or background characters, designs that most of other artists can't even match with their MC ones. Yoshida was one of the elements that elevated E7 beyond the usual crop of shows, imo anyways, and seeing these almost typical anime designs in a show that is supposedly E7s sequel kind of just deflates my enthusiasm a lot.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 18:47   Link #223
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
I thought the first episode of Lagrange was pretty bad. Sure the main character is kinda likeable, but when the show I'm reminded of the most afterwards is Fafner, then there is a problem...it just didn't make me feel like it was a show worth following.

These new E7 designs are also just depressing. They're so...anime, if that makes sense. Kenichi Yoshida is just so damn talented and brought with him a sense of style, and hell even sophistication, that I haven't seen from many other modern anime character designer, if any. Not only that, but he would create so many great designs for utterly minor or background characters, designs that most of other artists can't even match with their MC ones. Yoshida was one of the elements that elevated E7 beyond the usual crop of shows, imo anyways, and seeing these almost typical anime designs in a show that is supposedly E7s sequel kind of just deflates my enthusiasm a lot.
Well unfortunately I'm not going to sit here and prejudge the show based solely off of character designs, but I will admit that it is kind of telling that both of the ones released so far are of the cute looking girl variety. Still not much to go on though. IMO it's still too early to make a call on how good or bad the show is going to be. That sort of thing is best left for when it's actually been on TV for a while.

That said if this Ao character turns out to be yet another Yuki Kaji voiced wussy lead that's clearly designed to deflect attention off on to his female compatriots I'm going to be extremely cross with Bones.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 19:12   Link #224
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Now who voices the MC? I'd be nice if we can have Miyano Mamoru again....
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 22:00   Link #225
pirateking

This series is becoming an Infinite Stratos wannabe...
pirateking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 01:17   Link #226
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Some additional details about the show. Not really sounding good at all imo:

The setting is "Earth" in the year 2025 A.D. The story is about Ao and his friends fighting against monsters known as Secret. "Generacion Bull" (sp?) is a private military company in the business of defeating Secrets, and they have assembled IFO (Intelligence Flying Object) pilots with great skills - all of which are girls.

The first new character shown is a 16 year old girl from France called Flair. She's the leader of Team Piped Piper, and sees Ao as a rival. The second new character is a 15 year old girl from America called Elena. She's a geek girl and little bit of a klutz, also a member of Team Piped Piper.
This is the first time I'm hearing of this...and I believe I just tied a little inside...
Old 2012-02-09, 01:26   Link #227
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Now who voices the MC? I'd be nice if we can have Miyano Mamoru again....
Miyano Mamoru is a bit long in the tooth to play a 13 year-old, ne? I mean, I love him but...

I'm not pre-judging this at all, and I actually liked the first manga chapter - but the leaks of images and plot in the last couple of days are depressing. I think one of the reasons "Fam" is underperforming in BD sales (and no, I don't want to turn this into a Fam debate) is that Gonzo tried too consciously to "update" the material for what they saw as current fan tastes. And it's hard not to conclude BONES is making the same mistake here. I really hope I'm wrong, but long after-the-fact sequels to anime classics don't have the best track record, generally speaking.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 02:21   Link #228
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Just imagine Mutsumi Tamura as Ao. Male characters like this are usually voiced by voice actresses, but recently some of them are voiced by voice actors (male) with a more feminine or childish voice.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 02:28   Link #229
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Kaori Nazuka should voice Ao for maximum trolling.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 03:59   Link #230
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Miyano Mamoru is a bit long in the tooth to play a 13 year-old, ne? I mean, I love him but...
He did Cinque and Takuto well.
Old 2012-02-09, 14:34   Link #231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
He did Cinque and Takuto well.
Well, Takuto is about 17 and he sounded preposterous as Cinque (who was a pretty preposterous character anyway).

Of course, it's generally best if studios get age-appropriate males for roles like this (Capeta, Hourou Musuko, Colorful, Usagi Drop etc.) but so rare that I never actually expect it. For a character as young as Ao is supposed to be, the best bet is a female seiyuu who's competent at playing boys.

All things considered, that's not the biggest concern I have about this series by a long shot, after seeing the last batch of promo art.
Old 2012-02-09, 16:08   Link #232
miketyson

Yeah, overall reactions to the series seem to depend a lot on what you'd want to see (big surprise there, I know).

If you're more of a general fan of mecha, then what we've seen so far doesn't look too shabby. Not guaranteed-awesome, but respectable looking, if recently a bit too "cute girls flying cute things"-ish.

If you're not a big mecha fan but still liked E7, it's probably due to some mix of interest in the story, interest in the unique setting (coral, trapper, sky-surfing), interest in the characters, and so on. That's what's been mostly missing from all of the advance info, and why there's been so much gnashing of teeth as new info comes in.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-09, 20:45   Link #233
Cloudy

I'm hoping for Aoi Yuuki to voice Ao.
Old 2012-02-10, 01:39   Link #234
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Er...

No. I love her, but... No.
Old 2012-02-10, 02:40   Link #235
djmaca
My Girl ↓

^Enzo is hard to please when it comes to voice actors LOL.
Old 2012-02-10, 03:13   Link #236
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
^Enzo is hard to please when it comes to voice actors LOL.
Guilty as charged. But has Aoi Yuuki ever even played a boy before? She's a fantastic actress but her voice seems ill-suited to it to me.

I'd be more than happy to have Paku Romi get the role. We don't hear enough of her and she's always reliably good in these types of roles.
Old 2012-02-10, 04:35   Link #237
Kakkou
Tch.

I've never actually heard Aoi Yuki voicing male characters... and I kinda want to now. I wouldn't mind her being casted in such a role here, simply because I'd love to see if she could pull it off. Voicing Ao might be a stretch though.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 04:38   Link #238
Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Guilty as charged. But has Aoi Yuuki ever even played a boy before? She's a fantastic actress but her voice seems ill-suited to it to me.

I'd be more than happy to have Paku Romi get the role. We don't hear enough of her and she's always reliably good in these types of roles.
She did Sena from Blazblue.(who is sort of a boy since he is a male split personality of Platnium The Trinity.)

Also, if you listen to the BD extra radio drama of Ben-To, her voice could be rendered deep enough to voice male characters.
Old 2012-02-10, 09:48   Link #239
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/64295

More new info and clean design art.

Spoiler for Flair Blanc:

Spoiler for Elena Peoples:

Spoiler for RA272 Nirvash:

In addition, there is a second manga that has started running in Newtype Ace this month. Unlike the adaptation manga, this is the typical spin off manga which takes place in the same world but with a different story. The main character of this manga is a girl named Yuna Maltan.

Eureka Seven AO ~Save A Prayer~ is drawn by Ran Butou, and written by Akiko Waba.

Spoiler for Eureka Seven AO ~Save A Prayer~:
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-10, 10:39   Link #240
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://natalie.mu/comic/news/64295

In addition, there is a second manga that has started running in Newtype Ace this month. Unlike the adaptation manga, this is the typical spin off manga which takes place in the same world but with a different story. The main character of this manga is a girl named Yuna Maltan.
Martin maybe?

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen