AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-11-19, 12:34   Link #21
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
US military is pushing for technology which will increase the speed and efficiency of its resources. Basically what the US wants is a faster and more responsive fighting unit that can deployed anywhere around the world without sacrificing too much power and effectiveness. There is also a big push for non-lethal technology (basically subdue or incapacitate our targets with little to no permanent damage) due Homeland defense and this is where all my work is currently concentrated on.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 13:01   Link #22
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

WHY URANIUM??? dont ask me, its the US military's idea not mine
US military uses depleted uranium shells for tanks. The chinese use condensed lead shells.

Patriots are high technology in terms of anti air, also it'll give the chinese a heads up on missle technology. If the chinese say no no to USA invading N. KOrea, we're gonna have a hard time over there if they decide to fire a nuke. Which is bad considering i am S.korean american. yea u get why i hate it.

magnetic weapons are not very effective i think. Itll slow down the weapon, there's iron and steel everywhere in the battle field, including ur own equipment. They are developing "smart" bullets. (dont ask me how it works, i have no idea) Its something to do with laser targeting and such. The US will soon get mini rocket pods in their standard issue guns. (which may be attached to the soldier's wrist)

US is also building the Leviathian (tats the code name). ITs like a GIANT cruise ship that holds copters and unmanned fighter planes.

also the city carrier. Its a carrier that houses about a million troops, comes with barracks, a dock, several air fields, and of course our fav. marines. Its supposed to replace our allies for base, since Saudi Arabia didnt help us in the middle eastern wars.

also under developement are the supersonic bombers. Basically it drops bombs and they're gone before u know it.
comanches... they were supposed to be stealth too... i believe they canceled that.
Rocket box. Its just a box tat fires HIGH tech rockets. (They hover until they find a target or they can just fire straight at something)

of course unmaned combat planes.

exoskeleton suit that enhances human physical ability by 20%

a new suit that moniters ur body, so the medics can know wats wrong and where u are, and how ure doing all the time. Not to mention good comunication with other soldiers in ur batalion no matter how far away they are.

video guns, so u can hide and shoot at the sametime.

i have some more, but i dont have my mag with me.

Sherman tanks outnumbered the Tiger 10 to 1. But the land battle was often equal cuz it took that much shermans to attack a tiger. My friends grandpa actually had an interesting story. He was a Sherman pilot or gunner, forgot which, and they fired on a Tiger, DIRECT hit. The shell bounced off, the tiger fired at them, it kinda missed, the shell skinned the side of the sherman, and it kinda exploded. It wasnt so bad that they couldnt survive ovbiously. But tats how insane these tanks were.

i got a new question. Your favourite AIR unit.

F-22 Raptor for me.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 13:37   Link #23
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

My favorite figther right now is the Su-37. It is very agile, and it can carry a large payload

F-22 is good, but it is kind of costly.

Anyone here is a big fan of Naval Ships ???
144M_HYPERION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 18:25   Link #24
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Send a message via ICQ to Mad Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
Just 3 months? I´m in for 10 Months of conscription starting 26th of January, first 12 weeks at Karlskrona I believe and then the rest at Berga Naval Base.

http://www.os.mil.se/article.php?id=9052

We´ll be playing fun games like Pistolwhip the punk and Bury the Skinhead´s face in the snow
Its becouse im off to France and im joining the french foreign legion so ill have plenty of time in the military

@144M_HYPERION
I like Bismarck, it was (and still is) the biggest ship in the world.
With its 44500 ton and half of the weight is armor platings, its just wounderful really.
Mad Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 21:22   Link #25
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat
Its becouse im off to France and im joining the french foreign legion so ill have plenty of time in the military

@144M_HYPERION
I like Bismarck, it was (and still is) the biggest ship in the world.
With its 44500 ton and half of the weight is armor platings, its just wounderful really.
ships are obsolete thanks to carriers and subs. Its been proven in WW2.
but if ure going with ships, u gotta pick the British ones, even the US ships come from Britain.
Old 2003-11-19, 22:16   Link #26
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

British Warships are small compare to the US ...
A British destroyer (Type 42) is around 4,800 tons, while the US Arleigh Burke Class Destroyer weight around 9,400 tons (full load)

In terms of weapons ... the US destroyer has the upper hand.
In terms of cost efficiency ... British warship has a lower maintaince cost.

The largest destroyer ever built is the US Kidd Class Destroyer which weight around 9600 tons with full load (but Taiwan bought these babies already )

Re: BME

yeah Bismarck is the beast of all warships. Its armor plating is very thick. During WWII King George V fired almost 800 rounds at Bismarck and it wasn't sinking at all.
Old 2003-11-19, 22:59   Link #27
Silent Spring
Sealab Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat
Tsk tsk the gun is to heavy and if your going to carry ammo in it, it gets even heavyer.
My favorite is AI Arctic Warfare Super Magnum also known in Cs as AWP

Its light for a sniper rifle and it has a desent kill range of 800 and more depening on the sniper rifle typ (yes there is more types then one)
Well the gun may be heavy, but it is a long range rifles, and can hit things over 1000m away. Plus it probably can hold armor piercing rounds. But I think what Mad Cat is talking about is that it's not ideal for stocking or recon. It'll be pretty loud first of all, second with that much power the flame that comes out the the muzzle would probably be huge and give away your position, third It'll be hard to carry or move around with. Mad Cat's choice of the L96 is an excellent choice for stocking, it's the choice of British snipers. But I prefer the M24, it's lighter and more compact than the L96 but has the same kill range. The disadvantage of these guns are that they are bolt actions, so you can only fire one shot at a time. I think it's because they are afriad that the gas escaping will give away their position or maybe it makes it more acurate, I'm not sure, does anyone know?

Wow everyone's getting geting conscripted, how long are your conscriptions? I'm glad there's no draft in the states, but I do want to be a comissioned officer of the US airforce after college and graduate school. Then rise to the rank of colonel from manditory time period promotions then reap the benifits of military pensions.

And I don't see why Taiwan is spending money to buy a destroyer, first off, the motherland is not going to let anyone invade taiwan, and taiwan still wouldn't stand a chance agianst the motherland. Also ships are not obsolete because of carriers, because of carriers they become more useful, to protect the carriers in battle fleets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
WHY URANIUM??? dont ask me, its the US military's idea not mine
US military uses depleted uranium shells for tanks. The chinese use condensed lead shells.

Patriots are high technology in terms of anti air, also it'll give the chinese a heads up on missle technology. If the chinese say no no to USA invading N. KOrea, we're gonna have a hard time over there if they decide to fire a nuke. Which is bad considering i am S.korean american. yea u get why i hate it.
Depleted Uranium and condensed lead are excellent penitrators, so it pierces armor or other stuff even more effectively.

I doubt China would get involved even if the US does invade N. Korea, its relations with the North is not a friendly as before, also China wants to concentrate more on it's economy, which is the fastest growing in the world, that's why they don't want to risk anything that might bring it down, such as war.

Also I don't think the city carrier is such a practical idea, I mean how would it be defended, plus think of how much fuel is reqired to move such a huge thing

Last edited by Silent Spring; 2003-11-19 at 23:15.
Silent Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 23:29   Link #28
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Spring
Well the gun may be heavy, but it is a long range rifles, and can hit things over 1000m away. Plus it probably can hold armor piercing rounds. But I think what Mad Cat is talking about is that it's not ideal for stocking or recon. It'll be pretty loud first of all, second with that much power the flame that comes out the the muzzle would probably be huge and give away your position, third It'll be hard to carry or move around with. Mad Cat's choice of the L96 is an excellent choice for stocking, it's the choice of British snipers. But I prefer the M24, it's lighter and more compact than the L96 but has the same kill range. The disadvantage of these guns are that they are bolt actions, so you can only fire one shot at a time. I think it's because they are afriad that the gas escaping will give away their position or maybe it makes it more acurate, I'm not sure, does anyone know?

Wow everyone's getting geting conscripted, how long are your conscriptions? I'm glad there's no draft in the states, but I do want to be a comissioned officer of the US airforce after college and graduate school. Then rise to the rank of colonel from manditory time period promotions then reap the benifits of military pensions.

And I don't see why Taiwan is spending money to buy a destroyer, first off, the motherland is not going to let anyone invade taiwan, and taiwan still wouldn't stand a chance agianst the motherland. Also ships are not obsolete because of carriers, because of carriers they become more useful, to protect the carriers in battle fleets.

Depleted Uranium and condensed lead are excellent penitrators, so it pierces armor or other stuff even more effectively.

I doubt China would get involved even if the US does invade N. Korea, its relations with the North is not a friendly as before, also China wants to concentrate more on it's economy, which is the fastest growing in the world, that's why they don't want to risk anything that might bring it down, such as war.

Also I don't think the city carrier is such a practical idea, I mean how would it be defended, plus think of how much fuel is reqired to move such a huge thing
i know about the uranium, someone asked why they would use a uranium rod from space. so that was my answer to that.

Yea china isnt a threat, but last time they said "Dont come to close to the Yalu river" and the US thought "bluuuuuufing" then u know wat happened. Korea is remained seperated because of the US's acknowledge of Chinese power and their "promise"

city carrier is actually being built. Defend? its a military base, what defends a regular military base? Planes from bombers, anti-air, troops, cannons etc etc.
its powered by nuclear fuel so im told. It came out in "Popular Science" magazine.
Old 2003-11-20, 04:32   Link #29
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Spring

The British Army L96 sniper rifle is design to be uset in -40C (-104F)!
British Army L96 sniper rifle has a better handeling the M24 but i agree that both are good rifles, this is some basic info about my favo gun.

In early 1980's British Army started the search for the replacement of the aging L42 Enfield sniper rifles. Main compettitors were british companies Parker-Hale with their model 82 bolt action rifle, and Accuracy International, with their PM rifle. Eventually, PM rifle won the competition and was accepted by British Army under the designation of L96
One of the most notorious features of the PM rifle was design of the stock. Instead of the solid polymer or wooden stock, PM/L96 used hollow polymer stock, made from two halves and assembled around aluminium bedding block, that extends to whole stock lenght. L96 also was equipped with backup iron sights.
In mid-1980s Sweden forces began their own quest for the new sniper rifle, that could survive heavy nordic environments. The AI again become the winner in this race with improved L96 design, named "Arctic warfare". In 1988 Swedish forces adopt AW rifle in 7.62mm NATO chambering under the designation of PSG.90. British Army, in its turn, also adopted this improved design under the designation of L96A1, as well as many other militaries and Law Enforcement agencies around the world. In 1998, the Bundeswehr (Germany Army) also adopted the AW Super Magnum rifle chambered in .300 Winchester magnum (germany designation 7.62x67mm) as Scharfschutzengewehre (sniper rifle - german) G22.

Built by Accuracy International of Portsmuth, England, this line of rifles is among the best in the World of sniper rifles today. This rifle can shot less than 2" (51mm) groups at the distances of 600 yards (550m), using boat-tail match ammunition. Arctic Warfare is a line of 5 rifles. Original Arctc Warfare was designed for the British military. It gained its designation by special anti-icing features, allowing sniping operations to be carried out under Arctic conditions as low as -40C (-104F)! Other models are Police (AWP), Suppressed (AWS), Folding (AWF) and Super Magnum (AW SM). Three first rifles designed for 7.62mm NATO ammunition, while Super Magnum can be chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum. AW has a 26" (660mm) barrel, AWP has 24" (609mm). AW SM barrels available in lentths from 24" (609mm) to 27" (686mm). The standart scopes supplied by Accuracy International are Smidt&Bender 3-12X variable or the Leupold Mark 4 fixed 10X scope. Enjoy!
Old 2003-11-20, 05:51   Link #30
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

Quote:
So I'm going to start off this thread with a questions, which battle tank do you think is the best overall in both efficent, cost effective, mobility, armor, and firepower.
I'm going to pick from the WW2 period since that it was the era of the tank, and I'd go with either the Russian T-34 or the German Panzer V (aka Panther). If not including factors such as mobility or cost effectiveness, then without a doubt it is the German Panzer VI (aka Tiger or the later variant, the King Tiger).

To continue with this thread, who are some of your favourite generals in history?
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 06:44   Link #31
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepiraph
I'm going to pick from the WW2 period since that it was the era of the tank, and I'd go with either the Russian T-34 or the German Panzer V (aka Panther). If not including factors such as mobility or cost effectiveness, then without a doubt it is the German Panzer VI (aka Tiger or the later variant, the King Tiger).

To continue with this thread, who are some of your favourite generals in history?
Well i think overall the T34 but today its gotta be the T-80 or T-90 becouse you got 2 t-80s on 1 Abrams witch i think is better AND T-80s are built to work and if they dont you can fix it with a hammer and some good kicks

My favo General gotta be Rommel becouse he was VERY wise and know what he was doing.
For example, everything in Africa went as planed but Rommel had to go away becouse he got sick and when he was gone it all went downhill and when he came back it was a impossible thing to fix.
Old 2003-11-20, 10:00   Link #32
Kensuke

How many of you have seen working T-34? I saw one when I was in army. Finnish troops captured many of them during WWII and used them against their former users. Some are at museums and still works.

I think that Leopard 2A6 is best overall MBT, Abrams has superb firecontrol and speed, Israeli Merkava has excellent crew protection, but based what I know, I "vote" for Leopard.

Best WWII tank... T-34 or Panther, so hard to decide...

Too much electronics is weakness, althought ability to hit targets at 3000 m is a big advantage (when its possible, like in Iraq-style flat deserts), but its prone to malfunctions (battlefield is not very gentle enviroment) and difficult and timeconsuming to fix. That's one reason to prefer russian tanks, all you need is a hammer.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-20, 10:12   Link #33
Mad Cat
You only live once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
How many of you have seen working T-34? I saw one when I was in army. Finnish troops captured many of them during WWII and used them against their former users. Some are at museums and still works.

I think that Leopard 2A6 is best overall MBT, Abrams has superb firecontrol and speed, Israeli Merkava has excellent crew protection, but based what I know, I "vote" for Leopard.

Best WWII tank... T-34 or Panther, so hard to decide...

Too much electronics is weakness, althought ability to hit targets at 3000 m is a big advantage (when its possible, like in Iraq-style flat deserts), but its prone to malfunctions (battlefield is not very gentle enviroment) and difficult and timeconsuming to fix. That's one reason to prefer russian tanks, all you need is a hammer.
I have seen one AND i have been inside ONE TO!!!
But i did that when i was a little boy, my early visits to finland to meet relatives and so on but i have been inside one.
Abrams break down to easy and they are to hard to fix without all thoes super tools and so on
Old 2003-11-20, 13:03   Link #34
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Napoleon is one of my fav generals, but that was LONG time ago haha.

general MacArthur was great, pacific general.
Rommel was a great general too... but i remember he had some sort of mental problem or some sort of diesease.
Old 2003-11-20, 21:00   Link #35
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Admiral Nelson ... "All Englishmen have done their duty"
General Mac Arthur ... too bad he had to be relieved of his command
Ike and Monty ... Best combination ...
Old 2003-11-20, 21:44   Link #36
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144M_HYPERION
Admiral Nelson ... "All Englishmen have done their duty"
General Mac Arthur ... too bad he had to be relieved of his command
Ike and Monty ... Best combination ...
eh Ike and Monty had a problem tho. They didnt trust good ol Patterson. If they listened to Patterson, Soviet Union might never have existed... therefore no cold war, probably china wouldnt be much of a threat today either.
Old 2003-11-20, 23:14   Link #37
Silent Spring
Sealab Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
Napoleon is one of my fav generals, but that was LONG time ago haha.

general MacArthur was great, pacific general.
Rommel was a great general too... but i remember he had some sort of mental problem or some sort of diesease.
Mac Arthur was crazy, if he has his way, we probably wouldn't exsit. If he had his way, he would have used Nuclear weapons and the cold war would have escalated to nuclear war. I like Gen. Eisenhower.

Also I think China being a threat is a good thing for the world. I mean when the cold war was raging there was always a sense of balence in the world prevent both powers from oversteping. If there's just one power it'll lead to a power that can do what ever it feels like without backlash, and it can also lead to terrorism. During the cold war at least we can see who out enemy was, unlike the war on terror we're fighting now.
Silent Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:23   Link #38
Go-lytely

Ike and Monty were wimps. If they had done what Patton wanted, the war could have ended a lot sooner. Also, Operation Market Garden was Monty's idea too and we all know how that turned out.

I always liked Rommel because he was the master at tactics and improvisation. He effectively used the 88mm flak gun as antitank weapons and constantly won battles over the larger British force. If he got the reinforcements and supplies he asked for, the Germans could have held North Africa. He was also well respected by his men as well as the enemy. He often cut the water rations of his own troops so that the POW's could survive.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:40   Link #39
144M_HYPERION
Miracle Yang !!

Let's just say Ike and Monty were blinded by their pride.
Monty ordered Canadian troops to clear the German Beach Head while Antwerp was already occupied. He wasted so many Canadian Troops in the war.

I don't like both of them
but they did help end WWII so ... I guess they are good Generals in someway ...
Old 2003-11-21, 01:47   Link #40
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

actually lets be thankful rommel didnt get the reinforcements huh? haha

actually if it wasnt for mussolini there is a high chance Europe would be just Germany. yea those italien soldiers had no morality at all. They just gave up, like French did in Paris.

Yea Monty and Ike were pussies. Patton wouldve stopped not only germans quickly, but he even suggested we go all the way to russia, and stop them b4 its too late.

Actually during the korean war, US was the only ones with nukes i believe. it took Russia 3(?) more yrs to develope their first nuke. So it wouldve been US just nuking China. and korea would be safer. I mean that border is so heavily foritified. They stand 5 ft from the border and stare at each other. Couple of gaurds, the whole time, they just stare at each other. N koreans at the S. and americans