AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-12, 06:00   Link #1
FireChick

Jungle Emperor special

You all know about that series from the 60's called Jungle Emperor (commonly known as Kimba the White Lion) by Tezuka Osamu, right? Well, I read that there's going to be a TV special for it that's gonna air in October. I have proof.

Official website: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/leo/welcome.html
ANN link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10923

Apparently Taniguchi Goro (Code Geass) is directing it and Amano Yoshitaka (Final Fantasy) is designing the characters. I'm really liking how the characters are drawn, especially Leo (I should be calling him Kimba, but I'm gonna call him Leo since it's his real name) who is SO DURNED CUTE!!! I'm watching the original 1966 dub somewhere (PM me if you wanna know where to watch it) and I'm liking it so far. I've seen up to episode 4. I hear people used to watch it when they were kids (I'm not one of them). Does anyone remember this Tezuka classic? Then speak!
Old 2009-08-12, 06:05   Link #2
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
You all know about that series from the 60's called Jungle Emperor (commonly known as Kimba the White Lion) by Tezuka Osamu, right? Well, I read that there's going to be a TV special for it that's gonna air in October. I have proof.

Official website: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/leo/welcome.html
ANN link: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=10923

Apparently Taniguchi Goro (Code Geass) is directing it and Amano Yoshitaka (Final Fantasy) is designing the characters. I'm really liking how the characters are drawn, especially Leo (I should be calling him Kimba, but I'm gonna call him Leo since it's his real name) who is SO DURNED CUTE!!! I'm watching the original 1966 dub somewhere (PM me if you wanna know where to watch it) and I'm liking it so far. I've seen up to episode 4. I hear people used to watch it when they were kids (I'm not one of them). Does anyone remember this Tezuka classic? Then speak!
Yeah,Guilt as charged, I remember it fondly as a kid.
It was the first Japanese TV anime in full color.
Here is the original epic opening which differs from the US adaptation.

Old 2009-08-12, 21:02   Link #3
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I'm a HUGE Jungle Taitei fan. In fact my user name is part dedicated to Leo ^-^ It is one of y all time favorite animes.
My favorite is the 1997 (highly recommend) movie combined with the Symphonic poem. It has the best effect when one has seen the original and know about Leo-sama

Goes to see what new character designs look like 0_0 WOW ! Look at Panja! He looks &%$# EPIC! Leo is too adorbale!!! The human designs are very different from Tezuka's. I wonder how Hideoyoshi will make the scene? Crystal Kay is good choice depending on ending of episode.

Sorry for fan moment of spaz

I love this ending ^-^

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2009-08-12 at 21:21.
Old 2009-09-04, 22:06   Link #4
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Oh OH they added a trailer >.> it isn't HD or big res at all, but still awesome! I'm a little odded out by the human design of the boy >.> just because it isn't the usual tezuka style. I really like the Crystal Kay song, usually I'm not a fan of them but this one I like ^-^
Old 2009-09-07, 18:18   Link #5
Xander

From what I can tell, apparently this has already aired. Anyone seen it yet?
Old 2009-09-08, 14:22   Link #6
FireChick

It's already aired!? I didn't know that! I wonder who's going to sub it? I wanna see it! I've seen a few episodes of the original 60's anime!
Old 2009-10-01, 01:28   Link #7
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Dear lord what the hell was that 0_0 Anyone who is familiar with any form of it would be appalled. To anyone who has no idea will be bored to tears.

The writing and direction was appalling! The story really went no where, was cliche and was dumb down for children. As for the art I could not understand the design changes for Leo or the humans. The only design that was good were the other animals. Who the hell decided to change Tezuka's trademark style? The show completely lot it's edge! The animation was sub par at best the backgrounds were far superior to the actual moving cast, unless it was an action scene (which was rare). Everything was sloppy and did not go together properly.

As a fan of Jungle Taitei and anime I was let down completely not to mention bored mei. No wonder it isn't getting subbed. Just what the hell was that? Seriously.... if you want to watch the best of Leo please watch the 1997 movie which has superior animation and story.
Old 2009-10-01, 14:42   Link #8
Xander

For those who want to look at another opinion, I've noticed that there's a more positive review here.

I haven't seen it myself yet, so it's a good idea to take everything with a grain of salt, but I can understand how it's supposed to be a completely new production aimed at a family friendly audience. That was apparently the point.

I think that explains why those expecting this to be a carbon copy of the original in either designs, characters or story will be disappointed. That doesn't mean it's a bad show, just probably not meant for purists who will always make comparisons or hardcore otaku, as opposed to casual TV viewers and children.

Whether or not I'll like it will be another matter, but if I ever check it out I'll try to do so from that perspective.

Last edited by Xander; 2009-10-01 at 14:52.
Old 2009-10-02, 22:32   Link #9
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Still I expected more since the director was the same as code geass, what a let down >.>
As well for a show that is now 60 years old they could do some justice like for Kitaro.
My friend who is also a casual viewer could not wait for it to end.

I was not expecting a carbon copy, the changes didn't make any sense is what I'm saying. It did not feel like Jungle Taitei (Which they constantly said over and OVER which was not needed) at all. It felt cliche and carbon copied of some other shows from today.

As I said before watch the 1997 movie i highly recommend it. This could have been done much better with all the now available resources for animators, directors and so forth. How is it that the 1997 cel drawn anime looks better?

Let's just say I had high standards for my absolute favorite anime of all time. I can see some people enjoying it, having seen nothing prior. Or perhaps those who have not seen or read Tezuka's works before.
Old 2009-10-13, 14:20   Link #10
FireChick

Great news!!! The special has been subbed!!!
Old 2009-10-14, 00:29   Link #11
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

I want to hear what everyone else has to say. Thinking back if it was cut better then it would have given it bit of a boost.
Old 2009-10-14, 04:14   Link #12
Xander

I finally watched it, but I'm in a bit of a hurry since it's very late around here.

That review I linked to was right. I think it pretty much met my expectations, which weren't very high.

The character designs were alright, the music was fine and the animation was a little bit better than that of an average TV anime series without quite reaching movie standards. Technically speaking, it was all decent enough and didn't distract me. Remember that this was a TV special, not a theatrical movie.

The actual story was good as children's entertainment with a predictable environmentalist message and a few interesting elements here and there that weren't really the main focus.

I'm not familiar with the original incarnations of any of these characters, but I thought Leo and Ken'ichi were likeable enough as co-protagonists. I wished we had seen more of Panja's and Toto's respective backgrounds though. The antagonist didn't do much for me, one way or another, but at least there was a brief attempt to humanize him and wasn't entirely unlikeable in spite of his evident greed and self-delusion.

Unfortunately, I will admit that the worst part was probably how the ending was rather convenient and felt a bit forced at times. For the sake of having a hopeful resolution, several events were rushed.

In an ideal world, I think this would have made a better TV series or, at least, should have been 15 to 20 minutes longer. The first half could have been shorter, but it didn't actually bother me while I was watching and kept me fairly engaged as a viewer. Can't honestly say I was bored, at least not until near the end.

If anything those early scenes were reasonably interesting for what they were, character introductions and setting build-up, if definitely nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

Overall, I think this TV special was a fair attempt as a tribute but certainly not a timeless classic.

The final rating would be either a 7/10 or a 7.5/10 depending on my mood. I'm not sure right now.
Old 2009-10-25, 11:36   Link #13
FireChick

Quote:
The writing and direction was appalling! The story really went no where, was cliche and was dumb down for children.
Actually, it wasn't dumbed down. For example...

Spoiler for events in the special:

Plus, this special did REALLY well on the TV ranking system on ANN. It's at #2!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...31-september-6

Last edited by FireChick; 2009-10-25 at 17:05.
Old 2009-10-26, 22:25   Link #14
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Actually, it wasn't dumbed down. For example...

Spoiler for events in the special:

Plus, this special did REALLY well on the TV ranking system on ANN. It's at #2!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...31-september-6
It did well because it is beloved classic of Tezuka and everyone knows of Tezuka.

It was dumbed down, not talking of the scenes but the over all presentation of character's and their interactions. Never have I seen Leo in such a pathetic manner, it wasn't even him. Same goes with Keichi what was with him... If you have seen this series before you know what happens and know what was changed for today's audience.

Spoiler for the series:
Closed Thread