AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-24, 01:42   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

DSL Modem Overheating

I do not know what the temperature of my modem is but it does burn my hand upon contact. I notice that my internet connection isn't doing very good lately and that my modem seems to be much hotter than usual, not mentioning that the overal temperature of the room and outside are also increasing as that it is summer.

Thus, I was wondering if there is any effective way to keep the temperature of the modem low aside from unplugging it and letting it cool down by itself.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 03:56   Link #2
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Since you didn't mention it; Did you open it up and remove the dust accumulation? If it isn't dust, might want to contact your ISP for a new modem.

If you have no other options, use a ice pack.
Old 2009-06-24, 07:49   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

As suggested, it's best to obtain a new DSL modem especially if you are not very good at fixing it... and you might end up breaking it if you open up...

I highly doubt that dust will cause it to overheat since most modems don't have fans or heatsinks like laptops which could cause a obstruction to the vents with dust, but it's worth a try.
Old 2009-06-24, 07:59   Link #4
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
As suggested, it's best to obtain a new DSL modem especially if you are not very good at fixing it... and you might end up breaking it if you open up...

I highly doubt that dust will cause it to overheat since most modems don't have fans or heatsinks like laptops which could cause a obstruction to the vents with dust, but it's worth a try.
Most DSL modems still have a natural circulation of air (flow). Its the same effect you get when you have a source of heat under a chimney. So it is possible that too much dust blocks the airflow.
Though I guess if it gets too hot this is a good reason to demand a new more energy safing one.
Old 2009-06-24, 09:55   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If a good puff of compressed air into its guts doesn't improve it, you've got a poorly designed modem (as others have pointed out, just noticed)
Unless you can put it on an icepack, cool place, or point a fan at it and maybe pop the pretty case open --- its just cheaper to get one better designed. If your ISP gave you the modem - yeah, tell them it had a meltdown and request a different brand. If they want to charge you for it --- you're better off doing some consumer research and buying your own modem.
Old 2009-06-24, 19:30   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

I need to go buy a can of compressed air sometimes later but the thing is.. Considering how hot the device is, is it even safe to pump compressed air into it? Or should I want til it cools off before trying to remove dust as that I have never done so before..
Old 2009-06-24, 19:42   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, if its really hot, you might crack something with the sudden cold air - so let it cool off.
Old 2009-06-24, 22:13   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Thanks everyone for the various replies of advice. I greatly appreciate it.^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, if its really hot, you might crack something with the sudden cold air - so let it cool off.
I will that sometimes next week.