AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 82 52.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 59 37.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.64%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-30, 23:30   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=your title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for reminder:

Greetings! It seems there have been a few careless spoilers in the episode discussion threads for 16 and 17. Kanon section of the forum has been stellar in regards to dealing with spoiler so far, and it all thanks to the fans of the show who have kept it as such. We ask the fans to continue with their effort to keep the episode discussion thread spoiler free. If you must need to reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags. If anyone fails to observe those simple courtesies, then we'll just have to delete those posts. Feel free to use the report button if you observe when someone is not being careful with spoiling. Thanks!
Old 2007-02-01, 12:21   Link #2
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Well we finally see some serious deviation from the game script this time, but the changes do make a lot of sense.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 13:23   Link #3
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

You're just deluding yourself if you honestly think a Nayuki ending is even remotely possible. The only thing even left in her 'story' is
Spoiler:
and I'm fairly certain that they're not going to have that happen 7 episodes from the end and have them just sort of hang out with that overhead for five or six episodes because that would get old really REALLY fast.
Old 2007-02-01, 13:24   Link #4
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This is the 2nd time that my anticipation for a Kanon episode stretched to the limit. It was a loooong week. Few more hours of rocking the chair and then, peace.
Old 2007-02-01, 15:46   Link #5
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Hmmm... Rumi? :P Ribbons are a little different, but otherwise, damn close.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 16:00   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
You're just deluding yourself if you honestly think a Nayuki ending is even remotely possible. The only thing even left in her 'story' is
Spoiler:
and I'm fairly certain that they're not going to have that happen 7 episodes from the end and have them just sort of hang out with that overhead for five or six episodes because that would get old really REALLY fast.
Depends on what you're calling an "ending"... Ayu and Nayuki are fairly deeply interwoven and it isn't clear whether the story is going to focus more on caring or romance or some hybrid.
Old 2007-02-01, 16:45   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Screenshots of episode 18 courtesy of Random Curiosity. LOOK AT IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

--> No comments for the moment
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-02-01, 16:50   Link #8
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

To those wondering what was written in the sketch-book at the end of the episode:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 17:29   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. I looked at the screen caps .... the awful part is that they weren't necessarily illuminating - actually more anxiety
The party appears to be quite a riot though....
Old 2007-02-01, 18:25   Link #10
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
i need to know what happens , the screens dont give enough information
*goes off to download the RAW*
Old 2007-02-01, 19:41   Link #11
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Here are some highlights:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 20:27   Link #12
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
That was such a great ep. I was wondering if they were going to break into the Haruhi Dance XD or at least do a bit from it. Highly amusing. I want some cake now....

Jun is soo odd. The look on Kaori's face was great too.
Old 2007-02-01, 21:00   Link #13
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
again KyoAn did a great job on the animation
i dont want to wait till the subs to rate cuz this deserves a perfect 10
Old 2007-02-01, 21:16   Link #14
Meophist

I really did not expect Shiori's classmate to reappear. That was surprising.
Old 2007-02-01, 21:51   Link #15
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

This episode plays itself out with amazing lighting effect over the waterfall, as usual, and that party scene was not what I had expected at all...

again, I am feeling more and more worried for Kyuuichi. Never before have I had felt this kind of concern over a male lead...

EDIT: I thought for a second that they'd do the Hare Hare Yukai... now people are going to expect a full animation sequence for Kitagawa/Aizawa dance?

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2007-02-01, 22:11   Link #16
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I really did not expect Shiori's classmate to reappear. That was surprising.
Well I expected it. It wouldn't be like KyoAni to introduce somebody and leave her alone for the rest of the series. They showed Kuze twice, Taiyaki Master twice, and Amano more than twice. = P

I must say, this wasn't as highly anticipated for me, but I was still eager to see the outcome of Shiori's subplot. In my eyes, Shiori is the most beautiful of the five leading females of the series. In addition to that, I've always had a kind of hook for the ones who use "Desu/Masu" all the time. This wasn't very action-oriented nor was it surreal. It was basically a slice of down-to-earth soap opera drama and you kind of have to view it in that sense. People trying to cope with things, people trying to make decisions for themselves, people making casual jokes, people engaged in causal talk. Half the time it seems trite and dull, but really that's what real life can be sometimes... just ordinary.

Well, it seems over. It feels over. I'm just abound and not sure what to say. I guess I'll comment on the animation first. The beginning had its yucky moments. I didn't particularly like what they did with the eyes - shadowing their faces and not drawing in the eyes at all. This felt a little sloppy to me. But if you're into expressing mood more than animation detail (or as KyoAni has demonstrated several times already but not here, both), I guess this wouldn't be a complaint for you. It picked up towards the end, and that much I'm happy about. The beginning is just iffy.

On to the plot. The beginning half starts out pretty uneventful. The cat clock, the overstuffed bentous, reiterating to Kaori about Shiori's wishes. They're all stuff we've seen before presented in a way to show how the producers are keeping track with continuity. But it seems unnecessary to me. I've had a week to reflect on what has already been said. I've seen and reseen the episode/s prior to this one. Why do I need to be reminded, you know what I mean?

The second half is good in some places and failed to meet my expectations in other areas. The disco is awsome (look at Ayu's face btw. pure lol) and it really highlights Shiori and Kaori's relationship like a lightbulb in a dark room. Afterwards, it's all drama. Kaori finally smiles. They redo their activities as before with a little more meaning. They've gotten close. Very close. She asks if she can hold his hand. She confesses some rather intimate things to him. She kisses him. I don't know what all this may indicate to all the viewers out there, but to me these are all progressions of romance - however young those two might be (16 we know but we get my point = P). A person like Yuuichi wouldn't be so blind to realize how she feels about him. His shock of her kiss is understandable since he wants her to make the decisions; he didn't expect how far she would take it.

At this point, time stopped for me. It felt like this scene by the fountain was going to continue forever and I had hoped so. But really, the ending theme was 30 seconds away and it hit me like a truck going 90 on the highway. I had absolutely no time to absorb all this light and sound, no time to deal with the shock of the resolution of this episode. In short, I felt it, but I couldn't feel it that long nor could I feel it the length I wanted it.

So what am I trying to tell myself and to others? Okay, I'll be honest. This episode didn't affect me in terms of mood. It ran out of time. The ending was timed incorrectly. Everything else was good. Great, even. Shiroi is beautiful. The party was awsome and it really emphasized something BIG. Their last few hours that they spent together was magnificent and the animation definately highlighted that. The confession felt real. It looked real. Everything was perfect. She kissed him; my heart sunk (and you'll never make a smooth .gif with that scene! KyoAni has made certain of that!). I was touched.

And then I see this letter in the snow, which is good and all in terms of drama. But really, this came too fast. He looked desparate. He was desparate to find her; it's so apparent on his face. But we cut to a shot of this letter. It's like, "jeez, this can't be real. This is too sudden." What I really would've wish for was Yuuichi trying to search areas in vein for Shiori (the place he first met her, for instance. It can't be far). But then, Shiori did say she was going to buy something. She wouldn't travel miles for it. The other factor was Yuuichi seemed too ready to let this go. This doesn't settle with me very well. This bond was so much more romantic than it ever was with Makoto. He should've felt or acted more upon seeing that letter in my opinion. But no, Shiori disappeared just like Makoto did, and it looked to me like his reaction was the same as before. No tears, no weak legs. Just a fade to black and BOOM! You have happy Ayu running in the snow. That kills the mood. Seriously.

But again, this could all be a result in a loss of time, and maybe forcing this kind of conclusion on the voice actor of Yuuichi must've felt like an impossible task for him too. The scenes were great in the end. But it could've ended better.

I'll talk again. But yeah. What happened?
Old 2007-02-01, 22:16   Link #17
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

This episode was really "wow" for me. I really loved how they made the environment play into the characters' feelings, even if some effects felt a little awkward (and convenient). Shiori's too sassy and cute for her own good! How do Ayu and Nayuki's stories rank in the emotionally-wrenching scale compared to Shiori's story? Does the coaster have higher peak, or have we passed the top already?
Old 2007-02-02, 00:25   Link #18
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Is it me or does this episode lack closure?
Spoiler for Next episode:
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-02-02, 00:28   Link #19
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
I do believe the true closure for kanon is actually during spring. I bet KyoAni will make a conclusion episode after all arcs are done.
Old 2007-02-02, 00:43   Link #20
Meophist

I thought this type of ending is pretty common…
Closed Thread