Old 2014-07-27, 05:06   Link #34341
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But prison guards don't have tank,. rocket, and missle defense network either
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Honestly the answer for this is the same with "what if you owe 1 millions to your local mafia and have to choose between getting killed or rob the bank". And the answer is: don't let yourself into that situation in the first place
Yes, yes, very useful advice there. Or it will be, if someone ever invents a time machine.

Quote:
This is not an issue of Islamic versus Israel.
Never said it was.

Quote:
For example, Israel could easily made peace with Egypt to prevent escalated conflict, despite the later have much stronger military power (comparing to Palestine) means have much more capability to be aggressive. It's not impossible to make peace with the Palestine, considering their inferior positions in military, social and economical power...
Egypt also has a lot more to lose, and therefore an incentive to be reasonable.

Quote:
How to do that? To start with, don't bomb a UN shelter full with civilian!!
They were at war before that happened. There's been off again, on again conflict since the existence of Israel. So what's your plan? Make one of them cease to exist?

Unlike you, I don't think what happened in war is the main problem. I think what happens in "peace" is. Israel has a chokehold on Gaza, which of course the Palestinians can't accept. Hamas shoots at Israel, which of course the Israeli can't accept. As long as either of those things keep happening, we'll keep dancing the same dance.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2014-07-27 at 05:17.
Old 2014-07-27, 06:12   Link #34342
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They were at war before that happened. There's been off again, on again conflict since the existence of Israel. So what's your plan? Make one of them cease to exist?

Unlike you, I don't think what happened in war is the main problem. I think what happens in "peace" is. Israel has a chokehold on Gaza, which of course the Palestinians can't accept. Hamas shoots at Israel, which of course the Israeli can't accept. As long as either of those things keep happening, we'll keep dancing the same dance.
There is a saying in international politics: "The strong do what they can. While the weak do what they must". This conflict has only been happening because Israel have the capability to wage war while relatively encounter little damage on their side. In fact if Hamas or Palestine could cause a considerate destruction toward Israel, maybe Israel would have been much more eager to keep regional peace.

But as it is now, Israel government could freely wage war and use it for short-term internal political gain as they like

Oh and just to prove my points, every war involved Israel after Yom Kippur, was having Israel as invasion forces, and suffer more militant casualties than civilians. It's always opposite for the Palestine or Lebanon side
Old 2014-07-27, 17:48   Link #34343
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

China Satellites Keep Fishermen Connected As They Sail Into Disputed Seas

Time to build Beidou jammers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-07-27, 19:19   Link #34344
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Japan's 'Moe' obsession: The purest form of love, or the fetishization of young girls?
Old 2014-07-27, 19:23   Link #34345
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

That should be in the Japan Culture thread. And obviously it is the purest form of love. It is just those fearmongering alarmists who spin it into something so unrealistic as "fetishisation". Get a life.

The U.S. should push for the disarming of Hamas in Gaza-Israel cease-fire

Quote:
THE DISTINGUISHING feature of the latest war between Israel and Hamas is “offensive tunnels,” as the Israeli army calls them. As of early Wednesday, 28 had been uncovered in Gaza, and nearly half extend into Israel, according to Israeli officials. The tunnels are the reason that the government of Benjamin Netanyahu decided last weekend to launch a ground invasion of Gaza, and they explain why that operation has strong support from Israelis in spite of the relatively heavy casualties it has inflicted. Most significantly, the tunnels show why it has been difficult to reach a cease-fire and why any accord must forge a new political and security order in Gaza.

Hamas’s offensive tunnels should not be confused with the burrows it has dug under Gaza’s border with Egypt to smuggle money, consumer goods and military equipment. The newly discovered structures have only one conceivable purpose: to launch attacks inside Israel. Three times in recent days, Hamas fighters emerged from the tunnels in the vicinity of Israeli civilian communities, which they clearly aimed to attack. The concrete-lined structures are stocked with materials, such as handcuffs and tranquilizers, that could be used on hostages. Other tunnels in northern Gaza are designed for the storage and firing of missiles at Israeli cities.

The resources devoted by Hamas to this project are staggering, particularly in view of Gaza’s extreme poverty. By one Israeli account, the typical tunnel cost $1 million to build over the course of several years, using tons of concrete desperately needed for civilian housing. By design, many of the tunnels have entrances in the heavily populated Shijaiyah district, where the Israeli offensive has been concentrated. One was found underneath al-Wafa hospital, where Hamas also located a command post and stored weapons, according to Israeli officials.

The depravity of Hamas’s strategy seems lost on much of the outside world, which — following the terrorists’ script — blames Israel for the civilian casualties it inflicts while attempting to destroy the tunnels. While children die in strikes against the military infrastructure that Hamas’s leaders deliberately placed in and among homes, those leaders remain safe in their own tunnels. There they continue to reject cease-fire proposals, instead outlining a long list of unacceptable demands.

One of those demands is for a full reopening of Gaza’s land and sea borders. While this would allow relief and economic development for the territory’s population, it would also allow Hamas to import more missiles and concrete for new tunnels. Secretary of State John F. Kerry, the Egyptian government and other would-be brokers are right to seek a cease-fire, but they should reject Hamas’s agenda. Instead, any political accord should come after a cease-fire and be negotiated with the Palestinian leadership of Mahmoud Abbas. It should link opening of the borders and other economic concessions to the return to Gaza of the security forces of the Palestinian Authority, the disarmament of Hamas and elections for a new government.

In setting such conditions, international mediators will likely have the quiet support of most of Gaza’s population. Polls show that they are fed up with Hamas’s rule and with its use of women and children as cannon fodder in unwinnable wars with Israel. The next government of Gaza should be one that invests in schools, health clinics and houses, not in tunnels.
Just smoke the tunnels. Or flood it full of seawater.

Or even easier, flood it with liquid radioactive waste so that the signature comes up on satellite imagery and poison the crap out of those bastards.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-07-28 at 00:36.
Old 2014-07-28, 04:48   Link #34346
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Japanese high school girl 'dismembers classmate'

Quote:
The 15-year-old was arrested on Sunday in Sasebo city in Japan's southern Nagasaki prefecture.

Police said the girl beat her friend and then strangled her on Saturday. She then severed the victim's head and cut off one of her hands, they said.

The victim has been identified as a 15-year-old girl who attended the same high school as the suspect.

Her body was found in the apartment of the suspect, who was living apart from her parents, according to Japanese media reports.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-2...alflow_twitter

Old 2014-07-28, 06:06   Link #34347
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Damn thats crazy... all because she made fun of her looks.
Old 2014-07-28, 07:08   Link #34348
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I dare you to ask her out then look at other girls while on a date with her.

Seriously though, she must have been a bully victim in order to snap like this because of a simple insult.

Old 2014-07-28, 08:14   Link #34349
Mr Hat and Clogs

Heh, dating a yandere the relationship of an adrenaline junky.

Yeah, either a bully victim or some other social or mental issue. But really, a 15 year old living alone doesn't really sound like the best of ideas to begin with with isolation and so on. Strangling is a horrid slow way to die, but at least she was dead before she started cutting her up (why cut though? Too much Dexter or something?). I'm curious, did people report a struggle to the police and they took her in and charged her the next day, or did she just stay the night with a dead body until someone noticed something the next day?
Old 2014-07-28, 08:42   Link #34350
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Lucky that we don't have got a boat to deal with...
Old 2014-07-28, 09:57   Link #34351
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Heh, dating a yandere the relationship of an adrenaline junky.
I don't mind if she is a loli and loves me. Or she is my imouto. One day I am going to regret this statement.

Though with all that posting on 2ch, I think she is more of a yangire. That act is truly psychotic.

Quote:
Yeah, either a bully victim or some other social or mental issue. But really, a 15 year old living alone doesn't really sound like the best of ideas to begin with with isolation and so on. Strangling is a horrid slow way to die, but at least she was dead before she started cutting her up (why cut though? Too much Dexter or something?). I'm curious, did people report a struggle to the police and they took her in and charged her the next day, or did she just stay the night with a dead body until someone noticed something the next day?
If I murdered someone and had time to dispose of the body, I would do the same. It is much easier to dispose of a body piecemeal than in an entire piece; even though I can lift more than half my body weight (68kg @ 178cm). Less attention too.

She really needs someone to be by her side at a moment like this. We can only hope that she hasn't gone past the road of no return.

Old 2014-07-28, 10:09   Link #34352
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've often wondered about the absence of parents in many anime. I think it began with School Rumble when I saw the Tsukamoto sisters living alone in a house that is probably worth well over half-a-million dollars. In Hidamari Sketch we see four high-school girls living alone in apartments. This tragic story suggests that what I thought of as simply a plot device to appeal to adolescent viewers may have some basis in reality.

How common is it for high-schoolers to be living on their own in Japan?
Old 2014-07-28, 10:24   Link #34353
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I've often wondered about the absence of parents in many anime. I think it began with School Rumble when I saw the Tsukamoto sisters living alone in a house that is probably worth well over half-a-million dollars. In Hidamari Sketch we see four high-school girls living alone in apartments. This tragic story suggests that what I thought of as simply a plot device to appeal to adolescent viewers may have some basis in reality.

Well from her biography, it is hinted that Mizuki Nana did so when she is in one of those prestigious music high schools. Then also, there are probably dozens of variety shows showcasing how independent young kids are since the age of elementary school.

High schoolers living alone is a common thing in big countries across the world I guess. There is a research done by UoC that there are kids who are like that, and the research has shown what has been demonstrated in this case - the kids are high risk drop-outs to be.

I trawled through google and there seems to be no study done on this, maybe because it is a common phenomenon in Japan to be ignored despite the claim that many kids stay with their parents due to the high rent in Japan. Maybe I should search in Japanese and see what I can find.

Old 2014-07-28, 12:02   Link #34354
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

not sure about Japan but in China, it is not unusual for high school student to stay in Dorms. I am guessing in Japan and probably korea, students who are enroll in prestige private high schools are living in Dorms as well.
Old 2014-07-28, 12:08   Link #34355
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
High schoolers living alone is a common thing in big countries across the world I guess.
Not in the US, as far as I know, and certainly not most kids from intact families. A quick search on Google shows little on the subject, and what there is concerns run-aways, orphans, kids escaping from abusive households, and the like. Sending one's child off to live alone while attending high school is practically unheard of in the US. Affluent parents may send their children off to boarding schools like Exeter, but that's a small segment of society. The Census Bureau reports that, in 2013, 12.0 million of the 12.8 million American kids aged 15-17 lived in a "family group," and most of the remainder lived in "subfamilies."
Old 2014-07-28, 14:08   Link #34356
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

That is partly due to the way towns and cities were constructed as population grew. Especially in the Baby Boom following World War II. As they expanded the suburban regions, they built schools to service the local population based on the census. IF the population went up, they would build more schools. Where I live there are I think eight high schools and a slightly larger number of elementary schools, and a smaller number of middle schools (due to some of the elementary schools going up to grade 8 while most of the high schools start at grade 9). Most people live within a few miles from a school.

Basically, because of this design feature, there is no reason to send teens off to public schooling unless it is a military school or a relgious school (or other type of private school). Even if one decides to go to school in a different school in the region, it can be accessed via school busses or public transit, if not just the parents driving them there before work.
Old 2014-07-29, 01:40   Link #34357
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah I've never heard of it in Australia... unless its a boarding school (or runaways and the like). I don't think it would be really even legal to let someone below a certain age to live extended periods alone - you'd probably get done for negligence or something. Hell, renting would be a straight up no, since real estate places are kind of strict about who lives in a house and a kid on their own would be a red flag.

Speaking of schools in Japan, I was google-mapping Takiyama and like I saw something like a dozen schools in a few KM radius (High, Junior, and... Nursery?). Seems crazy to me.
Old 2014-07-29, 06:09   Link #34358
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Shit, anyone heard the news about the ISIS rebels in Iraq and Syria and how they beheaded governement soldiers and then take picture/ stuck it on the fence? And it's not an isolated one or two incidents also. It seemed to be really widespread , like hundred cases or so.

I don't want to search for the detail, because accidentally click on a news page with uncensored pictures and it's sicken.

Honestly with all of those money throw in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia.... And talk about military actions against Syria and Iran. Can't the Western government actually do somethings here? I means, i can't think a good defend against an organisation carrying out beheading and public displaying at this time and age.
Old 2014-07-29, 10:22   Link #34359
LoveYouSaber

Well, we all want the powerful governments to promote good and justice in the world, but that's really ideal talk. If a country (say, the US) went in to clean things up (and that's assuming their citizens approve of using money and risking lives to help people in other countries - that's a huge hurdle already), other countries are going to be suspicious of a bid for hegemony or be jealous of the US enlarging its influence. And that's actually not good for world peace.

So really simplifying things, it sometimes boils down to this: whether turning a blind eye to unfortunate things in a single place or region can help preserve peace or promote development in the greater regions...

And in regard to the Japanese killing:

Quote:
The Guardian says that she did it because she wanted to dissect someone, and in respect to someone saying above that at least there wasn't a boat to deal with, the poor dead girl's belly was cut open - would really be mind-blowing if the suspect was trying to look for signs of pregnancy...
Old 2014-07-29, 11:24   Link #34360
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Shit, anyone heard the news about the ISIS rebels in Iraq and Syria and how they beheaded governement soldiers and then take picture/ stuck it on the fence? And it's not an isolated one or two incidents also. It seemed to be really widespread , like hundred cases or so.

I don't want to search for the detail, because accidentally click on a news page with uncensored pictures and it's sicken.

Honestly with all of those money throw in Afghanistan, Iraq, Lybia.... And talk about military actions against Syria and Iran. Can't the Western government actually do somethings here? I means, i can't think a good defend against an organisation carrying out beheading and public displaying at this time and age.
the last time US sent troops into Iraq, the whole world with Europe at the fore front criticizing the US (not that i agree with sending troops myself). Quite frankly I think it is time for the rest of the world to pick up some of the slack.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international