Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2007-04-13, 06:07   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

New "Public Groups" on AnimeSuki?

Silly Question..
Q. Can we have some abstract public groups?
Spoiler for Boring Explanation:
Old 2007-04-13, 07:24   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Silly Question..
Would that be necessary? I want mini bananas around my user name then ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 04:16   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Aoie
Lol~ .. Even tho' it can be abused I just wanted to ask if this silly thing could be implemented so I can tell who's what just by looking at their username

Simple yes/no is good enough..
--------------------------------------
I'll take it since nobody said anything it's a NO.. -_^
Oh well....
Old 2007-04-16, 17:32   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
@ Aoie
Lol~ .. Even tho' it can be abused I just wanted to ask if this silly thing could be implemented so I can tell who's what just by looking at their username

Simple yes/no is good enough..
--------------------------------------
I'll take it since nobody said anything it's a NO.. -_^
Oh well....
Actually I found your suggestion to be absolutely fascinating and immediately started a discussion in the mod forum about how best to implement it. Cool idea. It would be extremely helpful for newcomers to know who is a fansubber or who loves to photoshop banners. There are many times when that information would change how people are perceived and responded to. It would also make it a lot easier to be a newbie who doesn't know anyone yet.

You'll probably see this implemented sometime soon.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 18:31   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Make sure to include an ex-fansubber group please
Old 2007-04-16, 20:34   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually I found your suggestion to be absolutely fascinating and immediately started a discussion in the mod forum about how best to implement it. Cool idea. It would be extremely helpful for newcomers to know who is a fansubber or who loves to photoshop banners. There are many times when that information would change how people are perceived and responded to. It would also make it a lot easier to be a newbie who doesn't know anyone yet.

I am guessing this will be optional and that it would not have a "default group" for the people not interested in it. >_< !!
Old 2007-04-16, 21:06   Link #7
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Silly Question..
I really like this idea, I just hate restricting myself to just one.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 22:05   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:

I suppose that would be good in it's own way. I wouldn't mind having a little extra on my user name. Makes me feel more special ^_^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-04-16 at 23:29.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 22:53   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I am guessing this will be optional and that it would not have a "default group" for the people not interested in it. >_< !!
Absolutely 100% optional. It is just a way for you to choose to clique and identify yourselves. If you have no interest, then just don't join a public group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I suppose that would be good in it's own way. I wouldn't mind having a little extra on my user name. Makes me feel more special ^_^.
We're thinking of having it list the title under your name that best describes you. You can join groups like Fansubber, Photshopper, Artist and choose one of them as your identity. It will then list the primary group under your username though your profile will show all the groups you've chosen to belong to. Your posts will look something like this:

Though it might be implemented slightly differently. Obviously IRC Team and Staff Team would not be available as public groups.

Can anyone suggest any other groups that we might want to implement? So far I'm only thinking of Fansubber, Photoshopper, IT Group and Artist. What else should we include? Would Fanfic Writer be popular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Make sure to include an ex-fansubber group please
That's an interesting request. I can definitely see why you might want it, but I'm not sure we want to fill every tiny niche. I think you should have to decide if you still want to be identified as a fansubber even though you are no longer actively participating in the activity.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-04-16 at 23:08.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:13   Link #10
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Question: Besides IRC Team and Staff Team, is there a criteria for joining the other groups? I mean, can someone claim to be a fansubber when he's actually not?

The term "Photoshopper" is a bit broad. Can we have a term for avatar and sig makers? Would "Avatar/Signature maker" be sufficient or do we have to seperate it into "Avatar maker" and "Signature maker" in case someone only does one of the two?
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:23   Link #11
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I'm thinking I'm going to have to split off a dozen responses from this thread to form a new "Let's discuss Public Groups" thread. We're still discussing the exact implementation, but to answer your question, they work just like Cats suggested. Anyone can join these groups. That's why they are public. The advantage of these groups is to identify yourself to your peers so there is no real advantage to lying other than annoying other members and making the moderators upset. Yeah, there are always people who are a-holes eager to do that, but we are already used to dealing with such "people" on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
The term "Photoshopper" is a bit broad. Can we have a term for avatar and sig makers? Would "Avatar/Signature maker" be sufficient or do we have to seperate it into "Avatar maker" and "Signature maker" in case someone only does one of the two?
Do you think there is an advantage to being that specific?

Old 2007-04-16, 23:35   Link #12
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I'm putting in a vote for "Scanlator" group, or similar.

I'd say something about including particular skills in the groups, like "Scanlator - Translator" or "Fansubber - Encoder", but I think that would just fall into the issue of too many niche groups.

I don't think there'd be any advantage to having separate groups for avatar and sig-makers, considering that they use the same/similar skills in Photoshop, but it may be advantageous to have separate groups for, say, people who use Photoshop in another pursuit versus people who use Photoshop to do freebies for other board members.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:39   Link #13
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Do you think there is an advantage to being that specific?
You mean whether to have the term "Avatar/Signature maker" or whether to divide that term into two?

For the former, I think it's helpful to identify who are the ones who make avatars and signatures as on a forum, it's very common to request for those.

For the latter, I think "Avatar/Signature maker" should be enough. I'm just curious about the opinions of other avie and sig makers.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 23:44   Link #14
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Perhaps then we will have Avy/Siggy Maker instead of Photoshopper. How would you prefer to be called? "Avy/Siggy Maker" or "Avatar/Signature Maker"? I see the former used quite frequently and it is more fun, but I perhaps the formal name would be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I'm putting in a vote for "Scanlator" group, or similar.
Good one. I had somehow overlooked that group. Are there many of you on AnimeSuki?

Old 2007-04-17, 00:43   Link #15
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Perhaps then we will have Avy/Siggy Maker instead of Photoshopper. How would you prefer to be called? "Avy/Siggy Maker" or "Avatar/Signature Maker"? I see the former used quite frequently and it is more fun, but I perhaps the formal name would be better.

Good one. I had somehow overlooked that group. Are there many of you on AnimeSuki?
I personally would think "Avatar/Signature Maker" would be better, even though it's a bit long. Perhaps Signature could be reduced to "Sig" if length is a problem.

As for scanlators... I'm not sure how statistically significant we are, and I don't personally know any other scanlators here, but I have noticed several during my "travels" on the AS forums.
Old 2007-04-17, 00:44   Link #16
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Actually, IIRC every user belongs to special groups. It's just not always shown. There are groups like "unregistered", "standard user", "moderator", "admin" and the like. This would just be an additional thing.
Well, I dont really know all the details regarding this new feature, but I am hoping is not going to be like the hidden rep. option, were you are actually left with a black dot (mark) regardless of your reason for hidden it in the first place.

That is, if I decide to not join a group, I am hoping it doesn't leave a mark on my posts saying so. >_< !!

At the same time, I am not gonna make a lot of fuzz if it does. I am just trowing my two cents here.
Old 2007-04-17, 01:02   Link #17
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Well, I assumed if you applied for a group you'll want to have it display on your username tab.. if you are not interested in joining any, yours would be normal view like the current one <--

I guessed I belong to the graphic design group =/ altho I rarely have time to do requests anymore, with the occasional freebies I throw in my thread.

AV/Sig Maker would suffice IMO.. Sig Maker are fine but AV Maker could bring a different connotation

I just hope peoples dont start bombarding those in AV/Sig maker group with pm request
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 01:06   Link #18
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
I just hope peoples dont start bombarding those in AV/Sig maker group with pm request
That's one thing I did worry about.

I definitely think we should avoid having too many groups, but perhaps this might be a case where dividing the groups would be justified: One group for makers open to commissions/freebies, one not.

Then again, maybe if one isn't open to commissions, they can just choose another, more general group for their primary.
Old 2007-04-17, 02:00   Link #19
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
if I decide to not join a group, I am hoping it doesn't leave a mark on my posts saying so. >_< !!
Nothing will change unless you (the user) actively chooses to participate. If you do you, you'll be able to pick from a list of groups to join, and from that list which is be used for display. You could join groups and not display anything. Also, while this idea would use public groups, to provide a user-driven join/part mechanism, we have no plans to make it effect anything other than the visuals (i.e. no hidden forums, extra or restricted access, etc.).
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 02:32   Link #20
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
Nothing will change unless you (the user) actively chooses to participate.
That's good to hear.

Nevertheless, if for some reason I come up with a nice division/name for a group, I'll let you guys now.