AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2013-01-14, 13:58   Link #141
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
I've got a pair of black Beats by Dre, which I usually use due to how loud they can get.

I also have AKG K240's. I love the way they look and sound, I just wish they were louder.

[IMG]http://vintageking.com/media/catalog/product/a/k/akg_k240_headphones.jpg[IMG]
Do you own a Headphone pre-amplifier? If you don't then you need to get one. AKG's need more juice then just the source. Not owning one means your not using it too its full potential. Maybe with-out the amp its at 45% of its capacity. Not only will the Pre-amp make the phones louder, they add more detail, sound, and fullness. Overall make it stronger. You'll start to hear things in a good way. Dre-phones have a built in pre-amp that's why there so loud.

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2013-01-14 at 16:20.
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 16:06   Link #142
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Also consider the break-in time for headphones of that caliber. My AKG K701s took about 250 hours of solid use to start sounding like they were worth the money. As for the preamp, you don't need anything substantial unless you're doing actual mixing work and the such. Something simple from the FiiO line should do adequately.

I've got a pair of Sennheisers, but I've got a FiiO E10 preamp powering it, and it's more than enough for me.
Old 2013-01-14, 16:16   Link #143
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

As for me I rock the cMoyBB v2.03 Headphone Amplifier, good for my portable needs.
Old 2013-01-14, 17:04   Link #144
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Tea View Post
Do you own a Headphone pre-amplifier? If you don't then you need to get one. AKG's need more juice then just the source. Not owning one means your not using it too its full potential. Maybe with-out the amp its at 45% of its capacity. Not only will the Pre-amp make the phones louder, they add more detail, sound, and fullness. Overall make it stronger. You'll start to hear things in a good way. Dre-phones have a built in pre-amp that's why there so loud.
Ah, I see. The problem is a pre-amp looks to be bulky. I usually like to walk around listening to music with them. the only other thing I'd use them for besides casual listening would be for voice acting. What's the usual price range for one?
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 18:19   Link #145
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Ah, I see. The problem is a pre-amp looks to be bulky. I usually like to walk around listening to music with them. the only other thing I'd use them for besides casual listening would be for voice acting. What's the usual price range for one?
Those would be high-end preamps, which would seriously power your headphones for stuff like having your own recording studio and/or having those $2000 tin cans that sit over your ears and sound like pure heaven.

Look for a small preamp that runs on batteries. They run anything from $50-200 for the smaller sizes. The cMoyBB is cute because it's designed to look like one of those old Altoid tins with little mints in it. Quality on that's pretty good too, but nothing substantial. Just find what works best for you.
Old 2013-01-14, 18:21   Link #146
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Well I like to categorize Headphone amps into three sections Desktop Amps, Portable Amps, Amp/DACs. I assume you want a portable one, fortunately there the cheapest out of the 3 types! They range from $25-$150 (anything more you can get your self a nice desktop amp for better sound)

For the best I would say (good investment if you plan on upgrading your cans or want more sound out of your cans, quite honestly you pay for what you get. plus they can fit in your pocket/bag)
---
Top 3
JDS Labs CMoyBB - $59.99 ($70-77.99 for custom)
Electric Avenues PA2V2 - $59.99 - $75.00 (the next one I plan on getting)
FiiO E11 - $59.14

And there are the Really expensive ones like

Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G Headphone amplifier - wooping $150 buckaroos
The zo Personal Subwoofer - $100

----
I looked into your headphones its about 55 ohm, yeah your going to need a pre-amp to drive these cans. Anything above will perfectly drive them. Your ears will thank you later, but if this is still out of price range. The cheapest/quality ratio for the price. I would say:
Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - $23
If I would get the E6, I would NEED a L3 Line Out Dock Cable to make it sorta better with Apple loss-less files on the classic.
again you pay for what you get.

In addition if you plan on getting a headphone pre-amp, you need to get either a L3 Line Out Dock Cable (If your source is IPOD) anything else you need a 3.5mm Stereo Male To Male Cable (which also works on Ipod). ($8 for male to male, or direct L3 connection for max quality on IPOD $13). Of course to connect everything. Amazon, and the cMoy web are both one stop shopping places to get the two things you need. Pre-amp and cable.

When its set up it looks like this. Not only does it give you a cool tecky retro look, they make your music sound so much sweeter! Welcome to the Hi-fi realm.

This is my set up

---
another picture I found on the PA2V2 website

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2013-01-14 at 19:03.
Old 2013-01-15, 04:02   Link #147
DorkingtonPugsly

I want to invest in a pair of AKG 240's, but I'm not sure whether to get the K 240 MK II or the K 240 Studio. What's the difference? Is the K 240 MK II better?
Old 2013-01-30, 19:57   Link #148
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkingtonPugsly View Post
I want to invest in a pair of AKG 240's, but I'm not sure whether to get the K 240 MK II or the K 240 Studio. What's the difference? Is the K 240 MK II better?
The Mark II seems to have two inclusions from the Studio version: XXL transducers (which cause the headphones to require less boosting to provide a wider range) and what AKG calls "Varimotion Technology", which seems to give focus to a more realistic, central-resonating sound instead of the cheaper headphones that oscillate and give off bad resonation once you hit louder volumes and higher/lower tones.

Naturally, the MK II would be an improved version over the Studio version, but looking at price differences, it's a matter of whether you'll be using it for very high-end stuff or not.
Old 2013-02-01, 14:13   Link #149
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
The Mark II seems to have two inclusions from the Studio version: XXL transducers (which cause the headphones to require less boosting to provide a wider range) and what AKG calls "Varimotion Technology", which seems to give focus to a more realistic, central-resonating sound instead of the cheaper headphones that oscillate and give off bad resonation once you hit louder volumes and higher/lower tones.

Naturally, the MK II would be an improved version over the Studio version, but looking at price differences, it's a matter of whether you'll be using it for very high-end stuff or not.
Thanks for the info. I found some in my school's studio and was trying them out, really nice.I might go for the MK II just because I need better headphones than what I have now. My music production and what not has gotten more frequent and serious so.
Old 2013-02-08, 20:47   Link #150
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i would actually go for a fiio e7. its a combined DAC/amp. something tells me a k701 doesn't get much juice of a cmoy. haha.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 12:58   Link #151
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Thinking of getting Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, but I have no idea what amp I should buy for them could anyone recommend me one? I will be using these for home use so size doesn't matter and price around $120, flexible if needed.
Old 2013-03-12, 15:27   Link #152
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i would actually go for a fiio e7. its a combined DAC/amp. something tells me a k701 doesn't get much juice of a cmoy. haha.

You would be surprised. Cmoy was voted onheadphone's editors choice, and rated highest on many hi-fi websites. I wish I still had my custom Headphone cMoyBB Frequency Response chart they gave me when I customized mine, but saying the cmoy doesn't get much juice to the K701 is a HUGE understatement. K701 has an Impedance at 1kHz: 62 Ohms, cmoy can juice up to 251-600 ohms. Mine is custom made to perfectly juice a k701 - GS1000i and anything in-between. Of course a dedicated desktop amp is always better; this portable amp is one of the highest in its class next to the Electric Avenues PA2V2. Looks can be very very deceiving.

for specs
http://www.jdslabs.com/diy_mods203.php

if you want to test out your cans cMoyBB Frequency Response Calculator
(they do the calucations for you, if you want it cosmized for certain type of cans)
http://www.jdslabs.com/cMoyBBCalculator.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Thinking of getting Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO, but I have no idea what amp I should buy for them could anyone recommend me one? I will be using these for home use so size doesn't matter and price around $120, flexible if needed.
$120 is kind of hard to work with for a really good desktop amp, I would recommend the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1. For the price of $190-$199 (low/entry level price), that's amazing. Excellent unit for beginners. You can use it so many ways, it's really an all-in-one. In addation source selection, swappable opamps, upgradeable tube. For the price there should be no cons at all! More then enough to juice up your cans, and put it at its max.

(this might be my next buy) link to Maverick audio tube
http://www.mav-audio.com/

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2013-03-12 at 23:35.
Old 2013-03-13, 15:05   Link #153
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Well I don't mind another type of amp I will see if I can get that shipped to were I live, do you have any of suggestions. I don't mind if its portable.
Old 2013-03-14, 02:34   Link #154
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The other thing to keep in mind with portable amps is their power source. If it's battery, than it'll need to be recharged, and often times it can't be used while being recharged.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 08:58   Link #155
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
you're looking for a dedicated amp, right? assuming you already have a dedicated dac laying around somewhere.

Schiit Magni Amp is one of the amps around your pricepoint for those headphones. how well it'll sound with the amp is another matter. i'll leave that up to you to decide.

if you want portable use, the fiio e12 is worth looking into.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 09:47   Link #156
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
you're looking for a dedicated amp, right? assuming you already have a dedicated dac laying around somewhere.

Schiit Magni Amp is one of the amps around your pricepoint for those headphones. how well it'll sound with the amp is another matter. i'll leave that up to you to decide.

if you want portable use, the fiio e12 is worth looking into.
I like the look at that and the price however, a dac? Not too sure what that is, I havn't had a new amp for about 5 years so a bit rusty.
Old 2013-03-14, 16:56   Link #157
iceyfw

DAC stands for digital to analogue converter. audio today is stored in digital format (zeros and ones) and needs to be converted to an analogue signal before it can be sent through amplification, or to speakers.

you can find some type of DAC in anything that deals with digital audio today. like a PS3, computer, TV, cellphone. keep in mind there's your cheap DAC, good DAC, and awesome sauce DAC just like how amps are.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote