AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-11-06, 10:21   Link #1981
Woland
Latin Rascal

http://www.animenewsservice.com/

Quote:
11-6-06 (5:20AM EDT) Haruhi Suzumiya Omnimedia Negotiations Underway For NA Market Now
Swinging by the Kadokawa Herald Pictures booth at TIFFCOM 2006 ANS was able to confirm licensing negotiations for The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya TV animation in the North American market are now ongoing among several USA-based distribution companies. The Kadokawa representative we spoke to could not confirm any complications to a US release stemming from any existing trademark issues related to Playboy and bunnies. A deal could be closed in several months' time. Besides the existing animation the Americans are interested in adapting the the manga and novels for the world's largest English Language market as well. The entire omnimedia product (anime, novels, manga, etc..) could be sold as a package deal to one company although the liklelyhood of that being the end result is currently unknown.
At least something is moving...
But now I'm a bit envious... in my country all the publishers seem really scared about any attempt to gain SHnY license (probably because of the cost )
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:05   Link #1982
typhonsentra

I'm actually hoping ADV doesn't get this, because I'd prefer this show to reach the maximum number of people possible by appearing on television, namely Adult Swim. Geneon or Funimation would do, as they seem to have better relations with AS.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:07   Link #1983
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I'm actually hoping ADV doesn't get this, because I'd prefer this show to reach the maximum number of people possible by appearing on television, namely Adult Swim. Geneon or Funimation would do, as they seem to have better relations with AS.
If we're talking about TV broadcast, then hope for FUNimation. Geneon only has their shows broadcast only if the episodes are already released on DVD.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 22:31   Link #1984
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Evangelion was shown on [adult swim], and it's ADV's hottest property
Not sure if this show if relevant to FUNimation's interests. Or Geneon's, as I heard they were getting out of the licensing business. I'd say ADV is most likely to end up with this, as they would have to cash.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 04:21   Link #1985
Cloudkiller1
Spina~

So whats the verdicts my friends? ADV, Geneon, Funimation or some company I havent listed(pray its not 4kids.. -_-), from the looks of it in my opinion its gonna fall into ADV's lap.
Cloudkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 04:57   Link #1986
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
It's whoever bids the most money, and I hope it's FUNimation! And whoever gets it, I hope to GOD that they get Kadokawa to let them release the broadcast order.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 10:24   Link #1987
bl4xb0x
AKA Merlow
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to bl4xb0x Send a message via MSN to bl4xb0x Send a message via Yahoo to bl4xb0x
Whoever gets it better not ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet (Such as bad dubs...) and should release it in broadcast order. Now I watch it in chronological order just to make more sense of it (and to help it coinside with the novels) but for those who haven't seen it, I hope that they get to experience it in the original order.
bl4xb0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 10:30   Link #1988
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Evangelion was shown on [adult swim], and it's ADV's hottest property
Not sure if this show if relevant to FUNimation's interests. Or Geneon's, as I heard they were getting out of the licensing business. I'd say ADV is most likely to end up with this, as they would have to cash.

I hope not, because besides Eva I'm having trouble thinking of ADV shows that get on AS, was Milk Chan one of them? Also, why is it outside of Funimation's interests? They bid on a lot of different shows, and this is of course the "Next big thing" from Japan, with record setting DVD sales and a huge built in American fanbase thanks to Youtube. Hell, Funimation even bought the rights to School Rumble, and I'd say that's far less likely to suceed in this market compared to Haruhi.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 11:49   Link #1989
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

SHnY would fit in to any of those companies' "market focus" (science fiction, romance, comedy). Geneon has done quite well packaging Kamichu! ... Funimation's work on Negima (as broken as that series was) has been excellent in marketing, packaging, and even the dub (from the episode I saw at least). ADV's packaging and encoding vary. As for my *want*, I'd say either Funimation or Geneon.

However, ADV got that infusion of cash from the JP venture cap group, so they may have the bargaining edge.
Old 2006-11-09, 19:13   Link #1990
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspah View Post
i watched the last 2 episodes again.... and i reckon the whole reason behind haruhi bringing kyon back to the real world after being kissed is that he said the world is developing in an interesting manner or something to that effect. So haruhi sees more potential in adventure by staying in this world and not trying to imagine something that may or may not be more interesting...
Or that particular event is to be understood more in the viewpoint of kyon, in which he does something to achieve some result. Haruhi is flexible enough to suffer through plot holes. If anything the nastier closed plot space occurs in the form of a question like so: "How did all-woman mikuru/everyone else undestand haruhi enough to suggest a very specific clue to kyon. "

Anyways I need haruhi like a drug now. sigh.

Last edited by anselfir; 2006-11-09 at 19:33.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 22:48   Link #1991
LCeh

I have a question. Does anyone know if there is an excerpt out there about the author of the series, where he talks about various things such as about the characters, the series, or other stuff like that?
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 23:09   Link #1992
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Woland] View Post
The sky is falling!

Ok, this is a really good news (what I was eagerly waiting) but it's better to calm down and wait for something official.
Congrats Woland! You are Mr. 2000th post in this thread!

Otherwise, it is great news! Now we can start dreaming of a second season spec thread!

Now back to my Snoopy dance!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-10, 00:05   Link #1993
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Don't get too excited. Remember the number one rule when it comes to second seasons: "It doesn't exist until the anime production company says it does". In other words, all announcements are merely speculations until they're official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh View Post
I have a question. Does anyone know if there is an excerpt out there about the author of the series, where he talks about various things such as about the characters, the series, or other stuff like that?
Well, there has been a lot of published interviews with Tanigawa Nagaru (I'm sure The Sneaker did a few). The official Haruhi fanbook, for example, contains long interviews for all the main voice actors, staffs, the original character designer, Itou Noizi, as well as one between Tanigawa-sensei and Gatou Shouji, the author of "Full Metal Panic!". All aspects of the series, the history, the anime adaptation process, etc. are all discussed.

...Yeah, it's all in Japanese, I know. Don't hit me.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 12:58   Link #1994
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Congrats Woland! You are Mr. 2000th post in this thread!
Ah! I steal (?!?) the spotlight and I didn't even notice... Haruhi will is such a mistery...
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 13:29   Link #1995
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Let's hope that Haruhi will come Soon
Just Something for the Fans...
Novel 9? Interactive Novel for Cellphones? Comic Anthology? OVA?

I'm happy Today... I have talk about "Suzumiya Haruhi" In my English Test and My Teacher Rate it 15/20... The Best Mark of the Class...
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 14:11   Link #1996
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Let's hope that Haruhi will come Soon
Just Something for the Fans...
Novel 9? Interactive Novel for Cellphones? Comic Anthology? OVA?

I'm happy Today... I have talk about "Suzumiya Haruhi" In my English Test and My Teacher Rate it 15/20... The Best Mark of the Class...
what did you talk about Haruhi ?
Noppapana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-13, 14:48   Link #1997
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
All and about how i have dancing Hare Hare Yukai on Japan expo (The Video on My Sign) and That All. He's pretty interested about the Series...
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 05:18   Link #1998
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Juz a short note abt the title Endless Eight. Yes it may be translated to sound nicer English wise, but it is actually more like Endless August. That's what I drew from the kanji.
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 10:34   Link #1999
illogicalcow
nyah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiWi View Post
Juz a short note abt the title Endless Eight. Yes it may be translated to sound nicer English wise, but it is actually more like Endless August. That's what I drew from the kanji.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104

long story short:

the title of the chapter is in katakana (the only chapter with its title in katakana, i checked the raws i have). it indeed directly translates to endless eight. they are using the direct literal translation of the title. that's what the staff at baka-tsuki came to, and what i checked for my own curiosity with my poor katakana reading skills and following up with a translation web site.

the chinese version translated it as endless august, which i assume was in kanji. maybe you got it from there.
illogicalcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-22, 10:56   Link #2000
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicalcow View Post
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104

long story short:

the title of the chapter is in katakana (the only chapter with its title in katakana, i checked the raws i have). it indeed directly translates to endless eight. they are using the direct literal translation of the title. that's what the staff at baka-tsuki came to, and what i checked for my own curiosity with my poor katakana reading skills and following up with a translation web site.

the chinese version translated it as endless august, which i assume was in kanji. maybe you got it from there.
Refer to this timeline in Japanese
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20040105

エンドレスエイト

It's Endless Eight. Maybe in the book they used kanji that reads "Endless August" but with the furigana on top that says "Endless Eight". Besides the Arabic number 8 resembles the loop of infinity, reflecting the endless time loop in this story.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen