AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-04, 21:13   Link #901
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That is of course, if her character is meant to be disliked.
Could be the case, not that it will happen mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
So she'd stay the same all throughout the show?How is that character developement?
A character does not need to change to be well developed, a character can have a personality established as their own and be left at such a personality for the duration for a story, you then go on to learn about their quirks, reason, and inner thoughts. That is their character's development. You don't need change to have character development.
Old 2012-02-04, 21:17   Link #902
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
I'm calling it now: Andy will win her over by stubbornly risking his life to help her and just narrowly surviving.
Ah! Too late

Quote:
If not by defrosting could you give some other examples ?
Wait... why are we using the term "defrost"? Stop treating my waifu like a popsicle! (well it is true I like to lick her so...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In other words, I'd be fine if there's a male character (Shrade would indeed be ideal here).
I actually think that might backfire a bit. Shrade has a bit of an overly-friendly approach(which is the opposite end of the extreme) that might gross her out in her "all men are dirty" view

Still though, maybe he can play a tune that supercharges her emotions *runs*

Quote:
Mikono is an interesting character, too. I thought she'd just be your standard shy but generally cheerful/nice moe girl (which would be Ok, but nothing very interesting), but she's been given an edge in how she's actually pretty prideful and doesn't make-up easily with people. She's quick to take offense, and she's hard to smooth things over with. Other than that she seems like an Ok person, but these flaws give her a good edge, and probably make her a bit more realistic than most moe girls. The best thing is that even though she's quick to offend, and hard to smooth things over with, she doesn't give me a classic tsundere vibe at all. Some great nuance here with her character.
I think Mikono's edge is that she was somewhat of an outcast, pretty much isolated. So her behavior largely stems from a more quiet approach than a shy approach to situations and people.

Interesting that you mention the tsundere part, I too didn't get that vibe from her at all. Sure, there were tendencies, but first and foremost I saw her as that quiet outcast.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:23   Link #903
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Mikono is an interesting character, too. I thought she'd just be your standard shy but generally cheerful/nice moe girl (which would be Ok, but nothing very interesting), but she's been given an edge in how she's actually pretty prideful and doesn't make-up easily with people. She's quick to take offense, and she's hard to smooth things over with. Other than that she seems like an Ok person, but these flaws give her a good edge, and probably make her a bit more realistic than most moe girls. The best thing is that even though she's quick to offend, and hard to smooth things over with, she doesn't give me a classic tsundere vibe at all. Some great nuance here with her character.
Eh? She's really not that hard to make up to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post

Wait... why are we using the term "defrost"? Stop treating my waifu like a popsicle! (well it is true I like to lick her so...)
At least it's better than treating her like a piece of white meat
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:29   Link #904
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
apparently on 2ch they have the titles for episode 7 - going to be about yunoha, 8 - zessica, 9 - mix.
i can't don't know japanese but i think they were mentioned.
Do you mean summaries? Because I can't imagine that the titles would actually tell us much of anything, not for this show at least... unless they suddenly changed their naming convention.

(You could also post us a C&P of what was on 2ch, some of us can read Japanese. (And it makes certain discussions about the meanings of certain words very entertaining.))
Old 2012-02-04, 21:44   Link #905
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Do you mean summaries? Because I can't imagine that the titles would actually tell us much of anything, not for this show at least... unless they suddenly changed their naming convention.

(You could also post us a C&P of what was on 2ch, some of us can read Japanese. (And it makes certain discussions about the meanings of certain words very entertaining.))
The titles are:
第7話「真夜中の少女」
第8話「さらけだせ」
第9話「男と女のアナグラム」
... so indeed, that doesn't really tell us anything, except that episode 9 should involve Andy (what with the play on words with anagram/ana/hole), and a girl with him, so most likely MIX.

Then another post on 2ch attributed a character to each episode, and I have no idea if they're using anything to back the post up - it may very well be based on Newtype spoilers, or be pure speculation. Let's just assume it's the latter until we see Yunoha take the spotlight in episode 7 or something.
7話 ユノハ
8話 ゼシカ、ヘッドで必殺技も 双星の書登場
9話 MIX
Anddddd I'm not even gonna try to translate what the description for ep8 says because I don't want to set off another debate after the warui onna deal.
Old 2012-02-04, 21:59   Link #906
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
The titles are:
第7話「真夜中の少女」
第8話「さらけだせ」
第9話「男と女のアナグラム」
... so indeed, that doesn't really tell us anything, except that episode 9 should involve Andy (what with the play on words with anagram/ana/hole), and a girl with him, so most likely MIX.

Then another post on 2ch attributed a character to each episode, and I have no idea if they're using anything to back the post up - it may very well be based on Newtype spoilers, or be pure speculation. Let's just assume it's the latter until we see Yunoha take the spotlight in episode 7 or something.
7話 ユノハ
8話 ゼシカ、ヘッドで必殺技も 双星の書登場
9話 MIX
Anddddd I'm not even gonna try to translate what the description for ep8 says because I don't want to set off another debate after the warui onna deal.
While Episode 9's focus seems much more obvious just by the play on words in the title, I do have to wonder on what they are basing Episode 7 being about Yunoha. Has she had any nightly motifs tied to her character? Seems like its mostly guessing unless some magazine source (or otherwise) pops up with more details. Episode 8 is even more vague in that it effectively has a one word meaning. I could see Episode 8's title being quite the possible fire starter... especially if we were to translate the rest of those guesses.

For those curious:
第7話「真夜中の少女」 - Midnight Girl
第8話「さらけだせ」 - Confession
第9話「男と女のアナグラム」 - Anagram of a Man and Woman

7話 ユノハ - Yunoha
8話 ゼシカ、ヘッドで必殺技も 双星の書登場 - Let's leave sleeping bears... asleep, shall we?
9話 MIX - MIX!

Last edited by Vena; 2012-02-04 at 22:13. Reason: Yunoha is the frog, not fujoshi girl...
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 22:11   Link #907
miketyson

Wow, lol. I'm joining the mutual-non-aggression-let's-not-touch-ep-8-at-all team.

About 7: I think it has to be guesswork. IIRC Yunoha is the frog and the frog has been shown a bunch of times hanging out around candles? So I goes you can get Yunoha from the candle-midnight connection, but it seems dicey just going off the title.

About Mikono: she's a nicely complex character and that complexity was part of what held my interest in this. I'm not entirely sure what I think of her or about what makes her tick, but she's got an interesting edge to her for sure.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 22:14   Link #908
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think Mikono's edge is that she was somewhat of an outcast, pretty much isolated. So her behavior largely stems from a more quiet approach than a shy approach to situations and people.

Interesting that you mention the tsundere part, I too didn't get that vibe from her at all. Sure, there were tendencies, but first and foremost I saw her as that quiet outcast.
Yeah, quiet outcast. That works for me. It's not that she's inherently shy due to the personality she was born with, but rather that her "quiet outcast" status has to do with the situation she grew up in, which means that she doesn't open up to other people easily.

Quote:
Eh? She's really not that hard to make up to
With that comment, I'm honestly thinking more of how she refused Zessica's handshake and offer of friendship than of how she's treated Amata. I found that handshake refusal pretty cold of Mikono.

But again, I like that about her. Most moe girls would have just made up with Zessica there. Mikono's response isn't as nice, but it's more interesting.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-02-04 at 22:26.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 22:33   Link #909
mangatron

Quote:
At least it's better than treating her like a piece of white meat
Oh.... damn you Always straight to the point, you never sugarcoat this stuff, do you?

Quote:
Yeah, quiet outcast. That works for me. It's not that she's inherently shy due to the personality she was born with, but rather than her "quiet outcast" status has to do with the situation she grew up in, which means that she doesn't open up to other people easily.
Situational circumstances is what I like. I find it hard to relate to a character who just so happens to be the way they are with no sensible reason

That's a part of my slight concern about Mixy-chan. Why does she find men deplorable? Surely it can't be simple like she grew up in a pristine environment, or maybe she saw mom and pops making out one night?......
Old 2012-02-04, 22:55   Link #910
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
With that comment, I'm honestly thinking more of how she refused Zessica's handshake and offer of friendship than of how she's treated Amata. I found that handshake refusal pretty cold of Mikono.

But again, I like that about her. Most moe girls would have just made up with Zessica there. Mikono's response isn't as nice, but it's more interesting.
A fair point, that was also an unexpected response from her for me Though I would like to think that at that point in time, she was under the impression that she would never see any of them again so it's one of those case of don't get too close.

Quote:
Oh.... damn you Always straight to the point, you never sugarcoat this stuff, do you?
You started it

Quote:
Situational circumstances is what I like. I find it hard to relate to a character who just so happens to be the way they are with no sensible reason

That's a part of my slight concern about Mixy-chan. Why does she find men deplorable? Surely it can't be simple like she grew up in a pristine environment, or maybe she saw mom and pops making out one night?......
Eh, it's really not that strange for girls to think they're better than guys or likewise
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 01:11   Link #911
mangatron

It's always my fault

Quote:
Eh, it's really not that strange for girls to think they're better than guys or likewise
Oh sure I've seen that a few times But she's apprehensive at the thought of unions with guys, doesn't she know how good it feels!?!? I mean.... the.... part about the robots.... you know, combining into a bigger bot..... *cough*not really about the love hotel part *runs*

Ah, without a doubt, I've got some Mix'ed feelings right now

Now don't they look good together?

Anyone who isn't a Zessi fan is a criminal!
Old 2012-02-05, 01:13   Link #912
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Forget about the paper bag girl, who is the frog?

...it would be nice if someone explain the paper bag girl too
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 01:25   Link #913
Ypocaramel

Neko! Cat!
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 02:01   Link #914
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post

...it would be nice if someone explain the paper bag girl too
SHE'LL turn out to be the reincarnation of Silvia! The paper bag is there to keep us from realizing it!
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 02:55   Link #915
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
SHE'LL turn out to be the reincarnation of Silvia! The paper bag is there to keep us from realizing it!
That's so bad that it's probably going to be the case #Kawatrolled4ever

Btw for what it's worth, 恶女 in chinese means "disgusting woman, bitch, or skank." I'll talk to my cousin who works in Japan to confirm if it's the same in Japanese.
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 08:44   Link #916
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh sure I've seen that a few times But she's apprehensive at the thought of unions with guys, doesn't she know how good it feels!?!? I mean.... the.... part about the robots.... you know, combining into a bigger bot..... *cough*not really about the love hotel part *runs*
Oh don't worry, she'll turn around once the experiences the glory that is SOUSEI GATTAI.

Maybe they can prolong it by making her tsundere about the process, but secretly getting embarrased and even hopeful at the opportunity to GATTAI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
There's a wild theory going round that Yunoha isn't the actual frog/cat, but a girl controlling it using her element powers. Personally I'd like it if that were true, though no qualms if Yunoha really is that frog/cat thing

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 09:38   Link #917
Ypocaramel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Maybe they can prolong it by making her tsundere about the process, but secretly getting embarrased and even hopeful at the opportunity to GATTAI.
Sounds like the Tsugumi episode all over again
Ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 09:49   Link #918
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Heck, it's Aquarion... they can turn someone getting addicted to GATTAI'ing into an opportunity for character growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
Sounds like the Tsugumi episode all over again
To be fair, having things explode around you as a child when you get excited would probably give you quite the complex about things when you got older, so her episode did make a lot of sense.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 09:52   Link #919
miketyson

MIX's psychology: I'd like to see it be something like "Zessica has always been the #1 girl pilot, MIX has always been the #2 girl pilot". MIX is a natural perfectionist and has a complex about always being the best, etc., and the fact she's always #2 has made her into something of a fanatic.

Mikono: she seems like she wants to be more than what she is (a weak shut-in), and has a lot of confused anger at herself; sometimes she's angry at herself for letting herself become such a loser, other times she's angry at herself for getting her hopes worked up. So the way her character works is she does make efforts to change -- going out of the house like in ep 1, piloting like in ep 4, etc. -- but she's easily discouraged. Once anything goes wrong her anger pops out, looking for a target to latch onto. So far a nicely-crafted character for something like this.

Amata: still coming out of his shell. He's spent most of his life hiding his abilities and just hoping to get by, and is only just getting used to the idea that it's ok to be what he is now that he's at the academy. He resembles your average protagonist but doesn't have the typical heavy emo angst like a Shinji, Yukiteru, Shuu, etc.; those guys have deep issues (lol), Amata just needed to find a place he could be himself and still be awesome.

This is the Mari Okada touch at work, I think: we're going to get trolled (hopefully not too painfully), but the characters feel more real; they fit certain stereotypes but aren't *just* stereotypes turned into characters.

Also: wasn't the Crea in the original a vampire? She might be a better focus for episode 7 than Yunoha.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 10:00   Link #920
mayumi

To me amata and mikono seem a little too similar. But I definetely prefer amata over mikono's character atm.
mayumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, science fiction