AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-11-20, 04:46   Link #1
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
A Shana-Fanatic's Christmas anime raid, ALL suggestions accepted

I'm bored... and I will be bored this Christmas holiday. I need something to watch... so here's the deal.

I have a waiting list ready, so you can suggest anything from that list be moved up. If you win, I'll try to get things on track, and hopefully make a personal DVD for myself.

I have strict conditions making a DVD, the most notable being that one season has to fit on one or two DVDs, and I'm usually very hesitant about watching something new on youtube.

Also, I'm requesting... pretty much anything at this point. If you'd like a genre, then go for something similar to Shakugan no Shana, although some previous requests are now on my waiting list. However, the Shana genre is not important this weekend, so suggest anything you like. No restrictions (except the usual no hentai rule).

Here are your lists:

Anime watched and DVD made (in order of preference):

1. Shakugan no Shana
2. Fate/Stay Night
3. Kanon
4. Chrono Crusade
5. Zero no Tsukaima (I & II on one disc)
6. Rockman.EXE (1st Season, 3 disc request by little brother)

Anime watched/watching but DVD not made:

1. Shakugan no Shana II
2. Clannad
3. Karas (OVA)
4. Naruto
5. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan (waiting for one sub group to complete in whole)
6. Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters GX
7. Konjiki no Gash Bell

Ze Waiting Liste (not exactly ordered at this point)
-- To be watched sooner
1. Shuffle! (requested by a cousin)
2. Mai-Hime
3. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

-- To be watched later
1. Air
2. Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase
3. Lucky Star
4. Hayate no Gotoku
5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
6. Juuni Kokuki
7. Welcome to the NHK
8. Rozen Maiden
9. School Rumble
10. Full Metal Panic
11. Seirei no Mobito
12. Death Note
13. Claymore
14. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
15. Kaze no Stigma
16. Mai-Otome
17. Full Metal Alchemist
18. Eureka Seven
19. S-Cry-Ed
20. Cowboy Bebop
21. Major
22. Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
23. Kannazuki no Miko
24. Sola
25. Iriya no Sora/Hanbun tsuki ga Noboru Sora
26. Ghost Hunt
27. Tsukihime
28. Trigun

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2007-12-05 at 01:55.
Old 2007-11-20, 05:42   Link #2
Saleh
Inactive

I would be requesting Air to be moved up in the list since it has better plot, storytelling and more emotional ending than Kannazuki no Miko unless you are fan of mecha (but then there are many enjoyable animes below priority no 8). Also requesting Mai-Hime to be moved up the list along with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha since they are similar to Shakugan no Shana in some aspects.
Old 2007-11-20, 06:16   Link #3
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
1. Shuffle! (requested by a cousin)
2. Mai-Hime
3. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
4. Air
9. S-Cry-Ed
11. Hayate no Gotoku
12. Juuni Kokuki
14. Mai-Otome
15. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
16. Lucky Star
17. Rozen Maiden
Above are the shows you should watch (and Shuffle since you said it's locked.) And here's the order they should be in.

2. Mai-Hime
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4. Air
6. S-Cry-Ed
7. Juuni Kokuki (hold on, you know that's 45 eps right O-o)
8. Lucky Star
9. Nanoha
10. Hayate (it's still going BTW)
11. Rozen Maiden
12. My-Otome

let everything else fall in where it may. However, if you haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, you may want to throw ALL of them in there somewhere. You know, and change your life over this break XD
Old 2007-11-20, 06:39   Link #4
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Above are the shows you should watch (and Shuffle since you said it's locked.) And here's the order they should be in.

2. Mai-Hime
3. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
4. Air
6. S-Cry-Ed
7. Juuni Kokuki (hold on, you know that's 45 eps right O-o)
8. Lucky Star
9. Nanoha
10. Hayate (it's still going BTW)
11. Rozen Maiden
12. My-Otome

let everything else fall in where it may. However, if you haven't seen Welcome to the NHK, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, you may want to throw ALL of them in there somewhere. You know, and change your life over this break XD
List edited. Just a few comments:

Did you misnumber your suggestions? I had half a mind to throw Kaze no Stigma back at 5 for a while.

I have already seen Gurren Lagaan in full over in youtube. The only reason why I haven't made a DVD is because no fansub group has done the series in full, and I'd like some sort of consistency.

Two people and already Mai-Hime has been moved to the top of my list...

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2007-11-20 at 06:54.
Old 2007-11-20, 18:38   Link #5
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Shuffle! is now currently being torrented.
Old 2007-11-20, 18:57   Link #6
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Mai-Hime is pretty good, but don't watch Otome it's downright horrible.
Haruhi I would say is must watch, the show is really fun to watch.
Nanoha, personally I don't think the first one was very good, though the second season A's was really good, however the third season, Strikers was just disappointing for me.
I would really recommend watching Kannazuki no Miko, I just love this show for the ending and it was freaking yuri! Of course that might not be plus for you but it was plus for me.
G Gundam, I got to say that this is a good show, but this is nothing like other Gundam. I would recommend it but if you are trying to get general idea on what Gundam is like, this is not the show to watch it.
Old 2007-11-20, 19:00   Link #7
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Adjustments have been made. Mai-Hime is now locked.
Old 2007-11-20, 20:09   Link #8
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Be careful, listening to everyone is an unwise idea. KnM sucks hard ass. The rest of his post is valid though.
Old 2007-11-20, 21:01   Link #9
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Well, the thing is, I am a KOTOKO fan, although that plays no factor in watching anime, I'm sure. Kannazuki no Miko is still pretty low in my list, though, and I may not be able to watch everything on my list this weekend.
Old 2007-11-20, 21:38   Link #10
blewin

1. Juuni Kokuki
2. Welcome to NHK
3. Mai Otome / The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

The first two choices could be classified as unique animes, since you don't see many of them around, and obviously they're not mainstream. Thought provoking, great animation, deep storyline and characterisation. You name it!

Personally, I prefer Otome over Mai Hime. Otome is so much deeper in terms of storyline and characters. yes, I also watched Hime before Otome, but both my brother and I find Otome much more engaging and epic. The ending is also more satisfying rather than convenient, as demonstrated in Hime.

As for The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, I've heard great things about it but haven't personally seen it yet.

Last edited by blewin; 2007-11-20 at 22:17.
Old 2007-11-20, 21:57   Link #11
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Be careful, listening to everyone is an unwise idea. KnM sucks hard ass. The rest of his post is valid though.
Oh well people have different opinion, I still liked Kannazuki no Miko for what it was. I could still see why some people won't like it though.
Old 2007-11-21, 00:23   Link #12
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Juuni Kokuki and Welcome to the NHK have been moved up a few slots.
Old 2007-11-21, 05:18   Link #13
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Juuni Kokuki and Welcome to the NHK have been moved up a few slots.
3. Welcome to the NHK - Utterly dark humor spliced with harsh reality and drama that really accentuates the horrors of society and the brutality of social awkwardness. For someone like me, it’s not only a bit reflective, but almost an outlook onto my future. The show creates the perfect atmosphere of madness to the point that it’s like watching Hell itself. From the freaky and trippy imagery to the winding music and even Satou’s voice actor (this guy needs ore roles!) everything fits utterly perfectly. The entire show carries the feeling of total hopelessness that sinks deep into your soul.

Does that help? lol
Old 2007-11-21, 05:44   Link #14
yeye
I see.

Here's a bump for melancholy, welcome to the nhk and neon genesis evangelion. three of my top four.

btw skip the tsukihime anime, the time spent on watching it is much better spent playing the visual novel.
Old 2007-11-21, 07:32   Link #15
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Quote:
3. Welcome to the NHK - Utterly dark humor spliced with harsh reality and drama that really accentuates the horrors of society and the brutality of social awkwardness. For someone like me, it’s not only a bit reflective, but almost an outlook onto my future. The show creates the perfect atmosphere of madness to the point that it’s like watching Hell itself. From the freaky and trippy imagery to the winding music and even Satou’s voice actor (this guy needs ore roles!) everything fits utterly perfectly. The entire show carries the feeling of total hopelessness that sinks deep into your soul.

Does that help? lol
Well, it's not really my style, but I still might watch it. After all, I have two cousins, both brothers to each other, and they are like at different ends of anime interests. For someone who's a neophyte otaku, I may need to watch some anime of that type, even if I may not like it.

After all, I watched Chrono Crusade, and I liked it to an extent.

Welcome to the NHK moved up to #4. Evangelion moved up 4. Tsukihime moved down 1.

Just a reminder that you can also add to the list if you want to.
Old 2007-11-21, 11:52   Link #16
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Well, you've already seen TTG-L, but other than that Neon Genesis, Haruhi, NHK, and Mai-HiME are my favorite anime of all time, so there's not much to add. I'd tell you to watch my other favorite, Serial Experiments Lain, but I REALLY doubt you'll like or understand it - no offense.
Old 2007-11-21, 12:08   Link #17
Saleh
Inactive

Also don't get your expectations too high on Mai-Hime since it has a very infamous ending.
Old 2007-11-21, 12:11   Link #18
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleh View Post
Also don't get your expectations too high on Mai-Hime since it has a very infamous ending.
Mind you, I loved the ending. It all depends on the person watching. Just make sure you don't read ANYTHING about the show before you watch it, for it is easily spoiled (LOTS of plot twists)
Old 2007-11-21, 12:46   Link #19
d.sinclair

Hmm...I'd definitely bump up Evangelion, which is pretty much a required watch for all anime fans, and Juuni Kokki, which is an awesome fantasy.

Seriously though...someday you need to get around to watching Mushishi, Monster, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, GTO, School Rumble, Honey and Clover, Full Metal Panic (all), Trigun, and about ten others which I consider to be way better than the majority of the anime on your waiting list
Old 2007-11-21, 12:50   Link #20
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sinclair View Post
Hmm...I'd definitely bump up Evangelion, which is pretty much a required watch for all anime fans, and Juuni Kokki, which is an awesome fantasy.

Seriously though...someday you need to get around to watching Mushishi, Monster, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen, GTO, School Rumble, Honey and Clover, Full Metal Panic (all), Trigun, and about ten others which I consider to be way better than the majority of the anime on your waiting list
A lot of those, though, are things that are too much for a new anime fan. And I'd be surprised if he really hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop or Trigun lol.
Closed Thread