AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira (OVA) - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 7 9.72%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 4.17%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 6.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 6.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 8.33%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 11.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 19.44%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-02, 08:19   Link #81
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Well this was painful.
Old 2011-08-02, 08:31   Link #82
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorKK View Post
I don't understand why there're a lot of people think "Higurashi must be guro".
No, Rei had fun episodes, even fanservice episodes which were awesome. This one insulted the brains of many. The fanservice, while not the worst I've seen, is tasteless and downgraded almost all the characters in the series. It was trying to be funny, but failed for the most part since it was soured by bad fanservice. I think my IQ went lower watching this actually.
Old 2011-08-02, 13:23   Link #83
Oblivion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorKK View Post
You haven't ever thought like that before?
Mayeb Rena or Mion but Rika? C'mon that's too much lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
And with this being said I can't wait to see the premier of a dream come true...Magical Girl Rika!

Go watch Umineko. She's a "magical girl" in there too.
Old 2011-08-02, 20:55   Link #84
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
Go watch Umineko. She's a "magical girl" in there too.
Bernkastel's tail is the most passive add-on I've ever seen. It's like she's cosplaying as herself.
Old 2011-08-02, 21:25   Link #85
WarriorKK
天下御免の園崎詩・魅音
*Scanlator

Send a message via Yahoo to WarriorKK
Not that far.
We've already known a magical girl Rika named "White Devil"

IRC Server: Quarknet - Channel: #higurashi or #hidebu - Time: 22:00-1:00 (GMT+7) - Language: Tiếng Việt/English/日本語
Higurashi Daybreak Wikia (V)
Old 2011-08-02, 23:41   Link #86
XGeneral2000

Sometimes I feel like there should be some kinda of legal maximum to the amount of "extra" content a franchise can generate. I've seen too many studios corrupt a series by milking it after it's essentially finished. Higurashi is done. The mystery's solved and everyone earned their "happily ever after." Rei was a nice lighthearted take I enjoyed. This...is more or less unacceptable.

I saw nothing but tasteless fanservice in this OVA. I understand that this is not always a bad thing, and that people enjoy it, but none of the characterization and atmosphere that made me love Higurashi was present here. I could have replaced everyone with random unknown characters and the result would have been mostly the same. I've seen fanservice and random comedy done well many times in other anime. This was not one of those times.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Higurashi should be solely confined to mystery and violence. But anything with Higurashi in the title should be distinctly Higurashi. The characters are flawed people with inner demons they're trying to overcome. And despite that, they're amazingly close friends that'll do anything for each other. That's what makes them them, not their hair color and outfit. If DEEN's going to make more Higurashi, they've got to live up to this, and keep the essence of Higurashi intact. Otherwise, it becomes no different from the third-rate drivel I try so hard to avoid every season.

I don't hate this OVA for being bad. A lot of stuff is. Objectively speaking, this could have actually been a lot worse. I hate it for simultaneously being bad and being Higurashi, and I hate DEEN for trying to get away with a complete lack of soul and effort by packaging it in Higurashi-flavored wrapping paper.

Rated a 4 purely on the terms I've seen far worse in the past. Here's to hoping the next one will be better.
Old 2011-08-04, 02:50   Link #87
Meri-chan
アイドルになりたい

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
Sometimes I feel like there should be some kinda of legal maximum to the amount of "extra" content a franchise can generate. I've seen too many studios corrupt a series by milking it after it's essentially finished. Higurashi is done. The mystery's solved and everyone earned their "happily ever after." Rei was a nice lighthearted take I enjoyed. This...is more or less unacceptable.

I saw nothing but tasteless fanservice in this OVA. I understand that this is not always a bad thing, and that people enjoy it, but none of the characterization and atmosphere that made me love Higurashi was present here. I could have replaced everyone with random unknown characters and the result would have been mostly the same. I've seen fanservice and random comedy done well many times in other anime. This was not one of those times.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Higurashi should be solely confined to mystery and violence. But anything with Higurashi in the title should be distinctly Higurashi. The characters are flawed people with inner demons they're trying to overcome. And despite that, they're amazingly close friends that'll do anything for each other. That's what makes them them, not their hair color and outfit. If DEEN's going to make more Higurashi, they've got to live up to this, and keep the essence of Higurashi intact. Otherwise, it becomes no different from the third-rate drivel I try so hard to avoid every season.

I don't hate this OVA for being bad. A lot of stuff is. Objectively speaking, this could have actually been a lot worse. I hate it for simultaneously being bad and being Higurashi, and I hate DEEN for trying to get away with a complete lack of soul and effort by packaging it in Higurashi-flavored wrapping paper.

Rated a 4 purely on the terms I've seen far worse in the past. Here's to hoping the next one will be better.
I uh... hate to mention it, but this arc isn't DEEN's fault. It's an original arc by Ryukishi. It was included in Higurashi Rei but wasn't animated until now.

On another note...
Spoiler for does anyone else notice this:
Old 2011-08-04, 06:35   Link #88
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Wow agreed , it was painful to watch... they fell into top fanservice...
Old 2011-08-04, 08:59   Link #89
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri-chan View Post
I uh... hate to mention it, but this arc isn't DEEN's fault. It's an original arc by Ryukishi. It was included in Higurashi Rei but wasn't animated until now.

On another note...
I'm not one of the people you speak of (although, maybe I am, I haven't thought about my review once since I typed it), though I do believe I understand their position.

Spoiler for Text:
Old 2011-08-04, 13:29   Link #90
XGeneral2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meri-chan View Post

On another note...
I actually did not know that. Thanks for correcting me.

It doesn't really change how I feel about the arc, though I can somewhat forgive Ryukishi simply based on the fact there's so much original Higurashi (although I have to ask if the original content was this...tasteless). I guess my question, then, is why DEEN chose to animate this, of all things. Do they not have permission to adapt any of the PS2/DS/manga stuff? Because that material's honestly a lot more interesting than Rei. And if that's the case, what's the source material for the 2nd episode of Kira (or does no one know)?

I suppose if DEEN really had nothing else to adapt, they can get some of their points back. Batsukoishi-hen was literally the last thing I wanted to see animated.
Old 2011-08-04, 17:16   Link #91
Kantoku
見ぬが花

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGeneral2000 View Post
I actually did not know that. Thanks for correcting me.

It doesn't really change how I feel about the arc, though I can somewhat forgive Ryukishi simply based on the fact there's so much original Higurashi (although I have to ask if the original content was this...tasteless). I guess my question, then, is why DEEN chose to animate this, of all things. Do they not have permission to adapt any of the PS2/DS/manga stuff? Because that material's honestly a lot more interesting than Rei. And if that's the case, what's the source material for the 2nd episode of Kira (or does no one know)?

I suppose if DEEN really had nothing else to adapt, they can get some of their points back. Batsukoishi-hen was literally the last thing I wanted to see animated.
No source material for the 2nd episode of Kira. The rest of the arcs are all new original stories. I don't see why they can't get permission from Alchemist to animate the PS2 / DS arcs, but I don't see why they should, if it's already voiced and has sold pretty well in Japan.

As for the manga stuff, I wouldn't have entirely minded if they animated a sugary arc like Kokoroiyashi-hen if they were aiming for a silly comedy. That arc was cute and hilarious at some parts, in my opinion

I'm not sure if I can really classify Batsukoishi-hen as extreme "fanservice" in my dictionary. If fanservice by definition is meant to please the fans, this would be quite the opposite, judging by the general reaction of it.

Also, @Meri-chan, check your visitor messages~
Old 2011-08-04, 17:22   Link #92
fuff

did anybody buy the limited edition copy?? what did u guys get with it? i didnt get the rika and hanyu...so im kinda wondering if amiami forgot or somehting
Old 2011-08-04, 23:49   Link #93
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I didn't think it was that bad. I mean sure there was some pretty over the top fanservice, but after all that the characters have gone through I don't mind. Though to be fair I thought we were going in a bad direction when the Satoshi yaoi bit got going....

Honestly it's just good to see the characters again even if it's in this kind of situation. Think it'd be fun just to see episodes with the group going through their club activities and just having some crazy fun.

Whatever the rest of the OVAs are about it should be fun. Will be good to see what they will do with Rika and Satoko as magical girls.
Old 2011-08-05, 20:46   Link #94
Mnemosyne
Ruler of the Universe

Well... That was terrifying in all the wrong ways. I don't even know how to rate it... On the up side, the Onikakushi-hen echo was fun and the end was creepy.

Eh heh, I really just don't know what to say about this one. A little less over-the-top fanservice next time, okay? Okay.
Old 2011-08-09, 16:18   Link #95
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
No, Rei had fun episodes, even fanservice episodes which were awesome. This one insulted the brains of many. The fanservice, while not the worst I've seen, is tasteless and downgraded almost all the characters in the series.
Exactly

The comparison that immediately sprung to mind for me was the first episode of Rei. That was a silly episode (and Higurashi has always had lots of those, no problem there) and the lovely female cast of the series showed off their assets plenty, but the episode was entertaining. Hell, it was great; I watched it twice.

Which just goes to show that what people are complaining about here, for the most part, isn't the concept of fanserivce Higurashi, it's the God-awful execution and lack of creative writing that went into this bottom of the barrel episode. The first half of the episode can't even be called writing, it was just a montage of lecherous fantasies.

It annoys me that they even used entirely inappropriate music at some parts, which were put to great use in the original series. Yeah, we really need that atmospherically scary music while they're talking about getting all hot and bothered staring at a kid's butt.

There was one genuinely great part of the episode, though. The scene where Rika went "We're not going to let you get away with this!" *pause* ... Nii-pa! I've missed her antics. Here's to hoping the rest of this OVA will up the ante a little bit, as I found this episode not only bad compared to Rei, but just plain bad in general.
Old 2011-08-09, 22:27   Link #96
Nemu

The fan service was scary on some parts, and I was a bit bothered by how some of my favorite Higurashi songs were used on ridiculous scenes, and it seemed really unfitting.

I do like the design, it's awesome and cute. ^^ The opening was cute too but I can see why some people are calling it lazy. The repeated animation of their heads moving was kinda... weird? .-. The ending was nice too. But yes I am grateful that Higurashi is getting new episodes again, it was nice to see more of one of my favorite anime again. It's great to see Rena again. *-*

Next episode looks awesome judging form the preview, so I look forward to it.
Old 2011-08-21, 04:21   Link #97
TheWitch0fDivinty

I got bored to death as well...

2/10 from me. Urgh... how horrifingly boring... lets pray for a better episode!
Old 2011-08-22, 04:09   Link #98
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

I didn't mind it and I'm not a loli-con either.

I know a lot of people are having trouble with Rika's scene, at least she just did that instead of Satoko being in a towel washing K1. Everyone is different and I know that, no one can change their opinion either.

I did think to myself though that one of the School Days games Summer Days had an ero scene with Kokoro. In my boys that is what is really wrong but School Days isn't Higurashi I know. But it also points out that there are people in Japan who do fancy and support the loli service. I think they try to cater to everyone but in the end it ends up being a bad result.

That's all I have to say and i don't want ANYONE to reply since I'm not arguing anything or saying who is right or wrong ok?

Overall I had a few laughs in the episode but I didn't like the OP and ED much though.
I can't wait to see Mahou Shoujo Rika though ^^
Old 2011-08-22, 17:35   Link #99
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHoney View Post
That's all I have to say and i don't want ANYONE to reply since I'm not arguing anything or saying who is right or wrong ok?
That's a pretty funny way of viewing a forum. If you're only interested in one-way communication, how about a blog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitch0fDivinty View Post
lets pray for a better episode!
To Oyashiro-sama, I hope.
Old 2011-08-22, 21:50   Link #100
Dr. Casey

I didn't mind the butt window cleaning with Rika. I actually thought that part was funny, and... well, things are just different with Rika because she's mentally an adult (An adult a lot older than me or anyone else in the entire world at that). With Rika I'm in kind of in a weird spot; I'm not attracted to her physically, I'm not into lolis, but I do think she's pretty attractive mentally/emotionally. Rika's kind of like a trap in that sense, I guess. And yes I do know how weird this sounds I'll shut up now

I'm not outraged or offended by the sexualization of Rika or Satoko, I just find it kind of weird that everyone in Hinamizawa seems to be a raging pedo. I think most Higurashi males show more interest in prepubescent girls than the going-on-17 Sonozaki twins.
Closed Thread