AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-25, 01:45   Link #3481
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
I'm not surprised with the way he was always holding and rubbing them.
And nothing came out of it!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:48   Link #3482
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
haha oh lord. I think Leons creepiness was really amped up in the 2nd movie. I'm glad they kept out any... uhhh... "romantic" scenes of him and Lucas sister.

Last edited by MichiNekoChan; 2011-11-25 at 03:41.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:52   Link #3483
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunbo View Post
But aren't like 99% of the anime love triangles always like this? You always can tell which 2 are the main characters and which isn't.

I always thought that Ranka had the upper hand in the triangle in the first movie. :/
There are very few anime that have love triangles, where you can't pick out the winner at almost first glance.

Kimi ga nozomu Eien, Kimagure Orange Road, kimikiss, Touch, and many others that I could name off, that start out in a way that are easy to predict the final pairings. From the first few minutes no less.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:56   Link #3484
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
haha oh lord. I think Leons creepiness was really amped up in the 2nd movie. I'm glad they kept out any... uhhh... "romantic" scenes of him and Lucas sister.

wheres a barf emote when you need it?
Romantic? THAT WAS BLATANT RAPE!! When watermelon went down with Kathy in the series... I think something died inside of me.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-11-25 at 02:06.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:56   Link #3485
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Watermelon? You mean mushroom.
Old 2011-11-25, 01:59   Link #3486
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Kimi ga nozomu Eien, Kimagure Orange Road, kimikiss, Touch, and many others that I could name off, that start out in a way that are easy to predict the final pairings. From the first few minutes no less.
And I rooted for Motoko in Love Hina... although I knew she was going to lose. Fortunately, losing a prediction has yet to cause an averse health effect...

Quote:
Watermelon? You mean mushroom.
Oh wait, you are right... I actually like watermelons.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-25, 02:16   Link #3487
teelatsuki

Spoiler for I really should stop replying to your non sense:

Well, to be fair that's how balls are supposed to be holded (Guys you will make me LOL and I have to resist)

And who designed Leon because he didn't have to try to act creepy he was creepy, even with a different love interest.

I also think something broke when Leon and Kathy... UGH!
Old 2011-11-25, 02:32   Link #3488
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
And I rooted for Motoko in Love Hina... although I knew she was going to lose. Fortunately, losing a prediction has yet to cause an averse health effect...

Oh wait, you are right... I actually like watermelons.

- Tak
Ahhh Love Hina. I didn't have a favorite in that series, but it was clear as daylight who was going to win that one.

My prediction rate is almost perfect. Shuffle at least required a few episodes for me to figure out. I knew who my favorite was from the first episode, but it took about 10 episodes or so before I figured out she had taken that inside track for sure.

It's kind of funny. I'll play the shipping war if a character peeks my interest, but I at least admit when my favorite character is losing the war, or that the war is already lost, halfway into a series. I might still argue why I think the 'winner' is not as good a fit for the main character, or where character development was few and far between, but I admit who was going to win, and who infact did win.

And boy have there been times where characters I did NOT want to win, won. Da Capo for example. Ugh... Or Fate Stay Night. Or Ichigo 100%. Or Samurai Deeper Kyo. Just to name a few. Watching the end was always painful...
Old 2011-11-25, 03:04   Link #3489
magnuskn

Quote:
So guys, what did you think of Leon's balls in this movie?
He had two sets of them. Seriously, he fared much better than in the series. Well, as far as his actions go, his hair styling still was terrible.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:11   Link #3490
teelatsuki

Leon has the smarts but he is quite lacking in the weapon department.

Also he should have know that that haircut would never take him far.

1.Your writing sucks.
2. Your reading sucks.
3. You have low self steem.

Next time try to argue with valid arguments, not throw a tantrum.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:21   Link #3491
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

wheres a barf emote when you need it?

Quote:
Romantic? THAT WAS BLATANT RAPE!! When watermelonmushroom went down with Kathy in the series... I think something died inside of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
And who designed Leon because he didn't have to try to act creepy he was creepy, even with a different love interest.

I also think something broke when Leon and Kathy... UGH!
That is definitely among the top reasons why the movies trump the series: no heinous violation of Kathy. It does seem they went a bit overboard making Leon such a dislikable character. Creepy barely seems an adequate description.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:40   Link #3492
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Thank you kindly. Off to edit my post

Quote:
Romantic? THAT WAS BLATANT RAPE!! When watermelon went down with Kathy in the series... I think something died inside of me.

- Tak
Haha I was trying to be... nice(?) about it. Though yea. it was pretty bad @_@
Old 2011-11-25, 03:52   Link #3493
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Spoiler for *sigh*:
Old 2011-11-25, 04:37   Link #3494
teelatsuki

Spoiler for no quoting not worth it:

Movie Ranka did mature, she acted her age, she tried to be helpful, she made smart decisions heck movie Ranka might as well get to have a different name beacuse she is an amazing character (though yes she is way too perfect none of her series counterpart flaws carried on) and doesn't deserve to be compared to series ranka.

1.Your writing sucks.
2. Your reading sucks.
3. You have low self steem.

Next time try to argue with valid arguments, not throw a tantrum.
Old 2011-11-25, 08:28   Link #3495
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, what did you guys think of all the surfing motiff, in this movie? Surely that's worth discussing, no?

Old 2011-11-25, 11:24   Link #3496
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^

The Captain's surfing (first mentioned in the light novels? I think...and apparently very well received by fans) and Eureka 7. Is there another relevant homage?

=====

Official Complete Book Interview: Kawamori Shouji Part 4 (link to previous parts)

I found this part of the interview really interesting, because...
  1. they talk about how the films came to be, sort of answering a question that has been at the back of the minds of some posters here...and
  2. they talk about why the three main characters were changed to various extents...

Quote:
[It was actually really tough to have to reproduce Sheryl and Ranka over and over, in order to bring them to life.]
Spoiler for length:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-11-25, 11:45   Link #3497
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
He had two sets of them. Seriously, he fared much better than in the series. Well, as far as his actions go, his hair styling still was terrible.
Fared better...? He got a bullet in the forehead!!

(But if you mean he was smarter, more sinister, and got a lot more done, then yeah...I agree.)
Old 2011-11-25, 12:00   Link #3498
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
^

The Captain's surfing (first mentioned in the light novels? I think...and apparently very well received by fans) and Eureka 7. Is there another relevant homage?
What about Leon's picture with Luca's sister? He's holding a surfboard! Clearly, there's something else afoot.

Also, thanks for the interview! I agree that Sheryl didn't need to change - speaking as one who totally disliked her the first couple of episodes in the TV series - but I loved what they did just the same.

Old 2011-11-25, 15:27   Link #3499
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
First, all you did was look at a character and decide they were going to win?

Why'd you pick Sheryl? Because you thought she looked good from the designs? Because you overlooked she had a harsh attitude and was as closed off as a girl's locked diary? Because you thought she was hot?

That's the most shallow way to pick a character.
More like previous Macross experience (since I've been a huge fan):

Lynn Minmay was a loli (back in the 80s, she was).
Mao Nome was a loli.
Ranka looks like a loli of Mao's age and in the first pic I saw of her, she was dressing like Minmay (the spread where she's dressed in her Chinese restaurant outfit).

It has nothing to do what appeals me or not. It's not personal preference, my personal preference is Queen Vajra/Alto and Ranka/Sheryl- Call it a hunch. The only times a loli is successful is when she leads the triangle (Mylenne, but... really she didn't even win Basara, did she?). From then on, I thought the one with the blonde/pink hair was going to bag the trappy lead.

When I realized Sheryl didn't get along with Alto in the first episode, that sealed it from 90% to 100%. The biggest surprise was the Sheryl's and Ranka's bond, not who will Alto pick, for me. And it was a nice surprise.

There's a difference between shipping something and believe it would happen. I've supported crack pairings and alternative ships, but it doesn't blind me from seeing the series canon. It doesn't stop me, either.

Quote:
So guys, what did you think of Leon's balls in this movie?
I love that quirk! It was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
That was a surprise. At first, I thought that we could just split the two films such that the first contained the ‘introduction’ and ‘development’, with the second having the ‘turn’ and ‘conclusion’*. However, when you try to do that, you’ll find that you can’t make a movie just out of ‘introduction’ and ‘development’. And so we decided to increase Alto and Ranka’s levels of maturity, and added the subplot of Sheryl being suspected of being spy. Many of the staff kept saying that “it’s fine if Sheryl doesn’t change”, but we somehow managed to get them to accept it.
Thank you Karice (and Kawamori).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-11-25 at 15:51.
Old 2011-11-25, 16:29   Link #3500
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
More like previous Macross experience (since I've been a huge fan):
I was speaking of anime in general when I say "pick a character based on designs." Realize that in the posts above, I have mentioned this.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-25 at 19:54. Reason: Anything labeled "off-topic" is going to get deleted unless moved to the appropriate thread.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song