AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

Old 2006-10-03, 19:06   Link #21
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Man that guy's like 80 bazillion feet tall!

Still tho, saw the raw. Like it a fair bit. But as it's Gonzo I'm gonna put it towards the back of the stack. IMO they've been tripping up a lot lately and I don't wanna put too much faith in them.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-03, 20:55   Link #22
DwArD
mAnIaC

Just watched the raw this morning...the animation quality is pretty decent, as expected from GONZO. I've read the manga about 2 months ago and the story really caught my attention. The whole....man fighting tank concept was very impressive. I mean....how many soldiers are able to stand against a tank equipped with only a gun?
Old 2006-10-03, 23:39   Link #23
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Now, there are cases where anime original turned out brilliant, like FullMetal Alchemist... but it's a rare case.
Not really, FMA turned out a stupidity fest in 2nd half, and to call that "brilliant"...*shivers*
In other words, it was just one, big giant filler with a big giant purpose of destroying the whole laid out story.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 00:00   Link #24
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot
Not really, FMA turned out a stupidity fest in 2nd half, and to call that "brilliant"...*shivers*
In other words, it was just one, big giant filler with a big giant purpose of destroying the whole laid out story.
Seconded.

FMA started out great, so much potential.

Somehow the story just self- detructed, and by the end it was a half-baked moral lesson wrapped around dopey sentiments.

I'm hoping for more here
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 05:33   Link #25
wao
OK.

Well, the show nonetheless became extremely popular... I guess many people in Japan liked the ending. But I think it could get pulled off with FMA because it had a buildup and surrounding characters/locations which people were familiar with by the time the story started changing.. And not to mention, slick production values. For something minor like this it should really be a good plot change because I don't think they'd be able to cover up plot holes well...
Old 2006-10-04, 10:50   Link #26
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Time to move this to the Fansub forum, as Eclipse has released episode 1, although they say it's a "side project for warmup"...perhaps a "better" anime?
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 10:56   Link #27
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowClone
Time to move this to the Fansub forum, as Eclipse has released episode 1, although they say it's a "side project for warmup"...perhaps a "better" anime?
I am guessing they are referring to Kanon(2006).

I am cautiously optimistic about Pumpkin Scissors. I do not have a lot of faith in GONZO, but they did make Last Exile. Everytime I watch an anime series from GONZO, I think to myself, "They made Last Exile."

So... I am setting my expectations low, and hope to be satisfied by the conclusion of PScissors. The first episode has been very satisfying, and I hope it keeps it up.

Cheers.
Old 2006-10-04, 11:01   Link #28
Lost

Yummy. I'm having Pumpkin for supper.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 11:13   Link #29
Mentar
Banned

The "side project for warmup" was more intended to be a little jest, because we'll stick to a 48 hour turnaround, which is kinda "relaxed". Kanon will be a "go go go" project, in comparison.

And just for the record, I'm VERY optimistic about PS. I think it will be one of the best animes this season
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 11:23   Link #30
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

My fault with the comment, I screwed up >_>
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 11:39   Link #31
Cyz
"Show it to me"

the first sub episode is out. go and download it now
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 11:46   Link #32
Lost

Just caught the RAW OP. Wow wow wow. Potential potential potential. Talk about impressive. I'm starting to get Mentar's optimism. OMG AND ALL THIS JUST ON THE OP. Am I already a fanboy!?! Sorry, I'm limited to mindless one liners for the time being. Will try to comment sanely once I get Eclipse's.

//God I can't stop watching the OP. This is the third time in under 10 minutes. Fourth time! The vocal is HAWT.
Old 2006-10-04, 11:53   Link #33
Skane
Anime Snark

901 - Anti-Tank Trooper(ATT)
Old 2006-10-04, 11:57   Link #34
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, episode one was good. Looked good. Sounded good. Some interesting characters, even if they are to some extent anime "types." Emotion and realism undermined by humor, but that's okay. Some decent hooks: the visual contrast between the big veteran and the aggressive little female commander. The semi-honorable dishonorable bad guy. The fully involved tea-girl secretary (Ueda Kana, I believe). Definitely a more watchable first episode than I expected, considering this is not a genre I love.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 12:07   Link #35
Lost

^ Nicely put.

W00t! Sub done, OP for the fifth time! I'm impressed with the job Eclipse did on the subtitling for the lyrics. First thought: where our Main guy says why didnt the ceasefire come earlier, and zoom out to destruction, meaningful indeed. Shows some of his character so far.

//On his character; a war veteran whose one, only true burning desire now is to rebuilt and bring relief to people, yet with a dark past he has to use to bring this relief he wants, so that he cannot escape it. Intriguing.

I laughed my head off at the "You can't bite lightly; You call that lightly!?" part.

Someone compared this to FMA (or was that another thread) and I'm agreeing. So long as it doesnt end like FMA did and have the angst it had. I'm okay with the generous amount of humour. It isnt sufficiently emotional/dark yet, so humour would still be acceptable I guess ~ tho yes, admittably such humour is a little unsettling for a show that is set in a gritty war setting (or maybe I'm just jaded from FMA) but as long as it doesnt encroach on the real parts and the series delivers Emotional, then kudos.

//Then again, I suppose any agreement on my part with a comparison to FMA would be due to the humour, the presence of a cute Lt. and a cute puppy-dog. Looking at it again, I guess the drawing is more realistic then FMA's was. I think this show will get very serious (tho the ED really doesnt help in the serious department).

Actually the ED is getting me really scared. I would have preferred it to be darker, something that hints of dark deeds to come etc etc. Hmm. The ED really doesnt gel with the seriousness I'm hoping the Anime will deliver. Ah well I suppose I shouldnt be expecting too much at this early time.

In anycase, Wow, a great introductory episode. I am optimistic for this series. On the technical side; Animation looks good and clean, nothing really special; except for the Tank, which IMO was quite nicely done. Storywise, there's alot of potential, especially in the fleshing out of Olan, plus his relationship with Alice. Hopefully, it'll keep humour in its place. All in all, a guarded optimism would be necessary.

Now, the OP on the other hand....

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-04 at 13:13.
Old 2006-10-04, 12:35   Link #36
Cyz
"Show it to me"

That's one huge man. What is he? A former basket ball player? Lol! and he likes eating those veggies too
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 12:45   Link #37
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ yea a big veggie eater ^_^ and he looks as timid as any other rino...until they get mad ofc

one thing puzzles me...why call a platoon "pumpkin scissors"?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 12:49   Link #38
Karnot
Banned

Very impressive OP, but not much sense in the main part. Its got very good athmosphere, but i'm kinda afraid it will be way too episodic for my liking.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 12:54   Link #39
kuromitsu

It was watchable but nothing impressive. The drama was okay, but the humor was really out of place for most of the time. (I actually expected this to be a comedy, so I'm a bit disappointed.) It's as if the show couldn't decide if it wants to be a somewhat serious war story with some comedy or a light-hearted comedy with a somewhat serious side. Anyway, at least it looked good (nice animation, easy-on-the-eyes chara designs, okay backgrounds). But as for now, the other Gonzo show, Red Garden, shows much more potential.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-04, 12:57   Link #40
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Seems extremly intresting and yes the chracter dersign is sure similar to FMA . Correct me if I am wrong do Pumpkin Scissors amd FMA share same manga ka by any chance ?

Anyway am downloading it ^^