AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-07-13, 15:40   Link #3661
Ura-dora

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
A thought on Saki vs. Awai.

When Awai does her thing, she declares a double riichi and then kans at the corner then discards and waits to ron on someone. We also know that Saki knows what's in the wall and likes to rinshan kaihou, tsumoing on the tile she just drew from the dead wall. Awai, however, will discard that tile (and can't keep it if she's doing her double riichi).

As such... if Saki can build her hand in time for the kan, doesn't this mean Saki can easily ron off that tile? I mean, she'd be building that hand anyway... If she thinks Awai will get there first, instead of the kan she'd make to get the dead wall tile, she can just keep it as a pon and ron Awai's discard.
Saki doesn't always win with rinshan kaihou though, sometimes she uses it to help build her hand. The more kans Saki makes the more ura-dora Awai gets.
Ura-dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 16:49   Link #3662
night_sentinel

Errr... not really. I agree with tjal on this one.

Awai's power is this.
When she calls a kan, those will become the four dora she needs. Thus, really it is only the FIRST FOUR URA DORA that is covered by Awai's power. If Saki calls for more, it will open another dora indicator but it does not necessarily mean that those ura dora will be in Awai's hand. It can be in another person hands or Saki's hand. That and I find it highly unlikely that Saki will call more kans if she knows that it will only make another player's hand raise value.

Looks at Quarter's match
Looks at the second to the last hand specifically Kyouko's ...

Well, unless its part of her plan or she wants that player to win.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 01:33   Link #3663
Ura-dora

Saki most likely won't be able to build her hand in time for the kan because of Awai's 5-6 shanten. After Awai declares her kan and discards Saki's winning tile, Saki's hand becomes crippled.
Old 2013-07-14, 02:16   Link #3664
night_sentinel

Actually about that, it is possible for Saki to win in 3 shanten.

Anyway, this is only a specific scenario assuming that Saki will have her winning tile on the dead wall which Awai will draw. Its more likely it isn't, unless Saki specifically aimed for it. Admittedly, there is a high chance that Saki will do it. In my rewatch, Saki actually got making your opponent's ability do the work for you in artform. Besides, the scenario is more or less moot, the person that Awai will be focusing on is Shizu and not Saki. Awai did have that big declaration of defeating her a 100 times in the finals.

BTW, I just realized. Your avatar is cute and I still haven't seen that picture. Did you draw it?
Old 2013-07-14, 20:29   Link #3665
Ura-dora

I've been doing some research and I have a feeling Awai, Shizu, Saki and whoever advances to the finals with them are somehow connected with the Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum tiles.

No, I found it online.
Old 2013-07-15, 01:32   Link #3666
The Green One

So then, any thoughts on how far Zenkoku-hen is going to cover? I have a feeling that it's going to go up to the end of the semis. If that goes well we'll probably have a one cour season 3 to cover the finals.

Last edited by The Green One; 2013-07-15 at 14:27.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 02:08   Link #3667
eavein18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ura-dora View Post
I've been doing some research and I have a feeling Awai, Shizu, Saki and whoever advances to the finals with them are somehow connected with the Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum tiles.
Ok so plum, orchid, bamboo, and chrysanthemum are the four chinese noble plants... but what is that gotta do with awai shizu saki and the other one... .__. ?

Last edited by eavein18; 2013-07-15 at 12:15. Reason: after a bit of googling...
eavein18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 05:12   Link #3668
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Saki - Teru connection that some teams are speculating on...

In QF, Saki uses a kan to unlock a dora indicator for Kyouko, giving her hand more dora.

In SF, although Toki focuses on the more flashy 'rinshan kaihou,' Teru actually does the same as Saki. She unlocks a dora indicator for *another* player, which gives Kuro's hand more dora.

Of course, they have quite different reasons for doing so (like two sides of one coin) but the mechanic is the same.
Old 2013-07-15, 14:24   Link #3669
King-Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
So then, any thoughts on how far Zenkoku-hen is going to cover? I have a feeling that it's going to go up to the end of the semis. If that goals well we'll probably have a one cour season 3 to cover the finals.
I think its probably as you say. They even bothered to give Satoha a voice so I can't see why they wouldn't.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 04:03   Link #3670
Fantasy-Magician

That's an interesting finding... but what is represented by Orchid by the way?
Fantasy-Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 14:04   Link #3671
Ura-dora

The Orchid is sometimes described as the mirror of the Plum Blossoms always trying to take the place of or fill in the gap of something missing but doesn't fully succeed. Like the plum blossom, its fragrance is never overpowering, symbolizing humility and nobility.

Maybe Awai is trying to substitute Saki in Teru's life.

Last edited by Ura-dora; 2013-07-16 at 16:17.
Old 2013-07-16, 21:30   Link #3672
The Green One

Awai: Arrgoant, snobbish, and condescending girl who thinks she's the best thing since sliced bread with the exception of Teru.

Saki: Meek, passive, and socially awkward girl who can trip over nothing and be mistaken as a doormat when she's not on rare occasions making girls piss themselves when she walks by.

Not too much in comparison there really unless Awai is the girl Teru wishes Saki would be? No...I still can't see it.
Old 2013-07-17, 04:59   Link #3673
eavein18

Hum maybe not Saki, but the girl in the wheel chair? I swear I seen some fan-art of it before...

Maybe~ Maybe not~
Old 2013-07-17, 07:46   Link #3674
yuu-nee

i think in the captain match, awai, saki, and the other player will become the players who fighting tightly. shizu is the netral person because she is superior in the defense rather than attack. Based on this, shizu will be the second. Then, the winner from among the three players it will be a champion.
yuu-nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 10:58   Link #3675
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

As we have told people a million times over; linking to scanlation sites is not allowed. Do not try to pass along info or hints about those sites either, else you'll risk a ban from the forum.
Old 2013-07-23, 21:27   Link #3676
King-Slayer

Seems it'll be a pro spinoff we're getting called Side story of -Saki- Shinohayu: The dawn of age.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 21:32   Link #3677
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official.

Spoiler for Spinoff info:

Well, it seems king and I are in synch tonight.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 21:33   Link #3678
night_sentinel

Yes! yes! yes!
Pro spin-off!

And it also confirmed what we long speculated.

Spoiler for ....:
Old 2013-07-23, 21:34   Link #3679
The Green One

Hmm....interesting. This has potential, will have to hear more, but this could go places.
Old 2013-07-23, 21:42   Link #3680
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Yes! yes! yes!
Pro spin-off!

And it also confirmed what we long speculated.

Spoiler for ....:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri