AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 13:43   Link #821
blade82

i like it when new author dont make the same old mistake (weak Mc and annoying tsundere girls) but its just the first volume so far
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 14:59   Link #822
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I can't thank you enough Log. Ever since IS went downhill, I've grown a lttle disilllusioned about the world. This looks like a potential substitute.
People say 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 is similar to IS, but I digress. IMO, it's closer to Strike the Blood, Campione (without the detailed explanation of mythology), and Successor to the Sword Saint (closest).

Yes, there's the school setting and the whole single male thing, but the actual read is nowhere similar to IS.

Spoiler for some characteristics:

Overall, I wouldn't say it's too unique, but the execution is decent. If IS and Campione suits your tastes, you can go ahead and try it.

And for the record, tsuns are utterly useless in front of the MC because he knows (through a plot mechanism) exactly how well each girl feels about him.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 15:29   Link #823
All Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Eh.

Might as well contribute something.

For harem fans and the likes.

I present you 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 (not nearly confident enough to translate it into English). It's pretty standard as a harem genre LN but lacks the annoying traits that a lot of harem LN's have. It's also translated into Chinese.

It's pretty new (only has one volume thus far) and given the recent uprising trend for harem LN I have a feeling that this one's going to be fairly popular. I would bet that it has a decent chance of being turned into a anime.

Spoiler for review:
At first, I thought it would not be on MF Bunko J because it just screams more of a Blade Dance clone instead of IS due to the magic fantasy setting.

And then, I Googled it and it is indeed MF Bunko J. Media Factory giving no fucks about originality as usual(which is why I find their titles mindlessly entertaining and fun).
Old 2013-07-09, 17:36   Link #824
whsie

At a certain point, a lot of mangas, novels, and movies all feel repetitive. There are unique works, but those are a hit or miss. The misses miss hard and the hits are the rare masterpieces. On the other hand, while the typical work will probably remind in some way shape or form of another work, it's the "safer" route. If the producer or writer busts, their resume won't take as big as a slam.

This is why when I see a similar work, I don't really see if they're cliched or repetitive because they will be. Rather, I see how the author writes and whether it's an enjoyable read. In other words, if the execution is good, I'm willing to give it the thumbs up.

And btw, this doesn't apply to just entertainment mediums, it also applies to businesses. You can have a great and unique idea, but if it busts, all the responsibility will clearly be on you. If it succeeds, you will horde all the glory and be hailed as a genius or an innovator. If you take the safer route (i.e. the protocol or norm), you can fail and get another chance since you followed the rules.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:53   Link #825
apr
Pedestrian

I've been reading Dainihon Samurai Girl by Shidou Ryuusei lately. It tells the peculiar tale of a guy who quits his job and cuts ties with his very rich family in order to start up an idol production company, after convincing a supremely gorgeous 16-year-old ultra-right wing extremist that becoming a popular idol and capturing the hearts of the nation's populace is the fastest way to rising to a position where she can gain political power and become dictator of Japan, so she can restore the country's former glory by dumping America and showing China who's truly boss in Asia.

While I admit it may be a case of me being totally ignorant of things in Japan, I've been finding it incredibly fascinating and very entertaining. Kind of in love with it. I've only read 2 volumes so far, but it's a bit worrying that the series started a year ago, and vol 6 is already coming out in a couple of weeks. Hope the author can keep it up.

A couple of weeks ago I also went through Kohitsuji wa Mayowanai v1 by Gangdo. Surprisingly good, after seeing the questionable cover. Only halfway through the book did I notice that this title won the Sneaker Grand Prize, an award that was hyped to space after Haruhi won it, but then went awkwardly silent when Sugar Dark couldn't reproduce the success.

Anyway, Kohitsuji is a talky "school mystery" where unlikely people get together and try to solve student problems, big and small. Unlike most other light novels, this is remarkably plain, but it nevertheless manages to show some charm without resorting to aliens or ghosts. Might even check out the sequels.
Old 2013-07-09, 22:58   Link #826
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Eh.

Might as well contribute something.

For harem fans and the likes.

I present you 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 (not nearly confident enough to translate it into English). It's pretty standard as a harem genre LN but lacks the annoying traits that a lot of harem LN's have. It's also translated into Chinese.

It's pretty new (only has one volume thus far) and given the recent uprising trend for harem LN I have a feeling that this one's going to be fairly popular. I would bet that it has a decent chance of being turned into a anime.

Spoiler for review:
Oh, I remember that one. Came out quite recently and the second volume will be coming out soon. The one who draws the illustration is a famous Chinese illustrator.
Old 2013-07-09, 23:48   Link #827
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
Oh, I remember that one. Came out quite recently and the second volume will be coming out soon. The one who draws the illustration is a famous Chinese illustrator.
The cover and colored illustrations are nice, but the in-book illustrations are a mixed batch. Of course, illustrations are moot if the story stinks.
Old 2013-07-13, 08:12   Link #828
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

I have recently finish with reading HO and now I have nothing to read.
While waiting for new vols for to be translated or be released, I have been conflicted on what I should read next.

which 1 should I read next?

1 - Hidan no Aria
2 - IS
3 - C3
4 - LN you would recommend to me.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”

Last edited by mike211; 2013-07-13 at 10:23.
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 09:02   Link #829
setsuna86

Hi,
I have discovered this light novel. The title is 学戦都市アスタリスク (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk). After reading the sysnopsis, I find it interessant. There is also a manga for that (but only 1 chapter is out). I will translate it into English, but I will begin the Project in 3 or 4 months.

Here is the summary (von kissmanga)

Spoiler for summary:

Last edited by setsuna86; 2013-07-13 at 09:24.
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 10:26   Link #830
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Yeah I read the manga as well, didn't thought it was a LN as well.

How many vols currently out?

*edit*

Never mind, I just googled, there 2 volumes out.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
Old 2013-07-13, 10:47   Link #831
setsuna86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
Yeah I read the manga as well, didn't thought it was a LN as well.

How many vols currently out?

*edit*

Never mind, I just googled, there 2 volumes out.
No, there are already 3 volumes out. One was recently released.
Old 2013-07-13, 12:07   Link #832
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Thank for the info, I will be looking for forward to reading this, when you start translating.

But for now, I will continue reading the manga, same goes with Absolute Duo.

Old 2013-07-13, 12:43   Link #833
whsie

Quote:
While waiting for new vols for to be translated or be released, I have been conflicted on what I should read next.

1 - Hidan no Aria
2 - IS
3 - C3
If you're referring to the works on Baka Tsuki, have you read mahouka, high school Dxd, or campione? Those are decent works with a good amount of release . I personally enjoyed the 3 I just listed over hidan, is, and c3 (yes, I read all of them).
Old 2013-07-13, 23:06   Link #834
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Yes, I have read those you mention earlier, I am more leaning toward Hidan no Aria then the other 2 options, I might start once I finish reading this thread.

*edit*
After reading through this thread, there are some titles I'm interested in.
Can some one translate these titles for me, so I can know what it called if the english translation for it come out.
1 - 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱.
2 - あるいは現在進行形の黒歴史.
3 - 黒鋼の魔紋修復士.
4 - 冴えない彼女の育てかた.
5 - 氷風のクルッカ―雪の妖精と白い死神
6 - 火の国、風の国物語

Thank in advance.

Last edited by mike211; 2013-07-13 at 23:20.
Old 2013-07-14, 00:25   Link #835
whsie

Quote:
Yes, I have read those you mention earlier, I am more leaning toward Hidan no Aria then the other 2 options, I might start once I finish reading this thread.

*edit*
Can some one translate these titles for me, so I can know what it called if the english translation for it come out.
1 - 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱.
2 - あるいは現在進行形の黒歴史.
3 - 黒鋼の魔紋修復士.
4 - 冴えない彼女の育てかた.
5 - 氷風のクルッカ―雪の妖精と白い死神
6 - 火の国、風の国物語

Thank in advance.
That's a decent list though #6 on this list- 火の国、風の国物語 - is essentially the Guilty Crown of lightnovels for me. Was super hyped and then horribly disappointed by the execution. You'll probably like #1- 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱- if you like the previously listed.

As for the previous list of Hidan no Aria, IS, and C3, I misread the post. I thought you already read those. My bad. If that's your list, I'm assuming you also read Seirei Tsukai No Blade Dance and Sword Art Online. If so, I would read the the LN in the order you gave- Hidan no Aria, IS, and then C3.
Old 2013-07-14, 01:31   Link #836
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Thank whsie for replying.

The only reason Hidan no Aria is before IS, is that I heard alot of bad thing about the MC in IS and how the fans have succeed in forcing the author to rewrite a vol that were about to be publish.

In any case I will still read IS but just not now.

*edit*

I just finished reading vol 1 of Hidan no Aria, and it's exactly how the anime portrayed it to be. It seem to me that the anime only covered up to vols 3, so I have 2 more vols before I hit new material.
So far so good.. off I go to start reading vols 2.

Last edited by mike211; 2013-07-14 at 06:11.
Old 2013-07-16, 12:35   Link #837
setsuna86

Regarding 学戦都市アスタリスク (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk), I want to know if there is someone who is willing to help me with the terminology. I have already began to convert the scan into text document, so if there is someone, please tell me.
Old 2013-07-17, 00:43   Link #838
whsie

I just spent the entire weekend reading Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (probably 10 hours of sleep in 2 days). Gotta say, it's pretty damn good. It's a highly immersive piece. So if anyone hasn't read it yet, I would give it my thumbs up.
Old 2013-07-17, 01:40   Link #839
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
People say 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 is similar to IS, but I digress. IMO, it's closer to Strike the Blood, Campione (without the detailed explanation of mythology), and Successor to the Sword Saint (closest).

Yes, there's the school setting and the whole single male thing, but the actual read is nowhere similar to IS.

Spoiler for some characteristics:

Overall, I wouldn't say it's too unique, but the execution is decent. If IS and Campione suits your tastes, you can go ahead and try it.

And for the record, tsuns are utterly useless in front of the MC because he knows (through a plot mechanism) exactly how well each girl feels about him.

Spoiler for eh:

Also by successor of the sword saint you mean Kenshin no Keishousha?

Quote:

1 - Hidan no Aria
2 - IS
3 - C3
No clue on C3 but HnA>IS (not by much though and HnA gets worse as it goes).

If you're looking for a harem genre LN Gekka no Utahime to Magi no Ou, is a lot better then both HnA and IS.

Quote:

*edit*
1 - 聖剣使いの禁呪詠唱.
2 - あるいは現在進行形の黒歴史.
3 - 黒鋼の魔紋修復士.
4 - 冴えない彼女の育てかた.
5 - 氷風のクルッカ―雪の妖精と白い死神
6 - 火の国、風の国物語

Thank in advance.
3 is called Kuro no Hiera Glaphioos.

1 probably will either have a romanji title or be called chant of the swordsman (or something like that).

No clue on the rest.

Quote:
Thank whsie for replying.

The only reason Hidan no Aria is before IS, is that I heard alot of bad thing about the MC in IS and how the fans have succeed in forcing the author to rewrite a vol that were about to be publish.

In any case I will still read IS but just not now.

*edit*

I just finished reading vol 1 of Hidan no Aria, and it's exactly how the anime portrayed it to be. It seem to me that the anime only covered up to vols 3, so I have 2 more vols before I hit new material.
So far so good.. off I go to start reading vols 2.
Kinji honestly isn't that much better then Ichika especially in some of the latter volumes.

In particular he's arguably even more dense then Ichika and he says some incredibly stupid things due to said denseness that would want the reader to hit his own computer screen.

Last edited by Log; 2013-07-17 at 02:11.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 03:46   Link #840
whsie

Quote:
Spoiler for eh:

Also by successor of the sword saint you mean Kenshin no Keishousha?
Yes.

As for IS's similarity with 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, I just don't see it. Yes there is magic/tech, world domination, school setting, harem but that's about it. Not to mention the latter has a sword and magic faction. When you add in the 72 Devils, things start to really stray off from IS.

As for IS, I personally believe 学戦都市アスタリスク (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) is a almost a mirror copy of IS. Much more than the aforementioned series.

Tags
light novels