AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 13.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 20.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-27, 11:43   Link #61
hai_san

Well it was a confusing ep, with the animation change it didnt help either... the scenery and atmosphere was still as good as in the previous eps but the chara design went down...

And about the sex or near sex scene i think in our society there is a taboo about showing minors having sex so i dont think it is that bad that the scence was downgraded from the novel from what i've heard in this thread even if it only was animated.

Last edited by hai_san; 2012-10-27 at 13:57.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:51   Link #62
Jerseykid

how dare he put the moves on shun's girl
Old 2012-10-27, 11:56   Link #63
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
How dare him indeed.

Shun better gets his act together soon though.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:58   Link #64
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Could you please stop with the shipping wars already? It's really OOT.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:58   Link #65
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
...I tried to clarify later... yes letting primal urges drive you is as bad as totally denying them... but in this case (anime original) a balance between the two was not reached in favour of political correctness....
I thought what they did was interesting in itself, whether or not something else might have been better. I think the makers probably erred on the side of caution, to avoid provoking the anime-banners.

I should also say that I agree with your overall point that excessive self-restraint can lead to big problems. I like to quote Socrates, Confucius and the Buddha in saying that moderation and a middle way are best.

I'm also a fan of Jung's idea of the Shadow: those "negative" impulses within oneself that can come back to bite you if you deny them completely, and don't even recognize that you have them. You take for granted that anything you do is good, so you can bomb and kill and shun without feeling guilty. Not that I think sex is bad. But it is very powerful (among humans, as opposed to bonobos) and has to be treated with care.

As for shipping wars: lol. Seems out of place to me, but go for it, as far as I'm concerned -- as long as we don't sink to the level of neg rep and anger. And anyway, I didn't read those two posts as shipping wars so much as humour.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:04   Link #66
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
Could you please stop with the shipping wars already? It's really OOT.
It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. No shipping war here, at least from my part.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:05   Link #67
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment. No shipping war here, at least from my part.
Of course I don't mean you. Other users, on the other hand...
Old 2012-10-27, 12:06   Link #68
Jerseykid

The episode just came out, let everyone get their post in before people start crying
Old 2012-10-27, 12:19   Link #69
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
It's just the idiosyncratic style of the episode director (Shigeyasu Yamauchi).
I hope he's not back for future episodes...

well despite the sudden changes in animation the episode was still good we learned about the queerats so i guess thats something.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:22   Link #70
kpk10
Banned

Quote:

It's the other way around, really.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-27 at 12:34. Reason: misinterpretation of the first post, undeleted
Old 2012-10-27, 12:25   Link #71
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I hope he's not back for future episodes...
Maybe his style would suit the anime better after the time skip.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:35   Link #72
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Saki and Satoru came very close to having sex, and groped each other a bit. The visuals conveyed that well enough. What more needs to be shown/said here?

Making it more graphic would have changed the feeling of it. I don't think the viewer is supposed to be titillated by it. Quite the contrary, I think it's supposed to reinforce what the library-creature said. So, on the whole, the scene is meant to show how Saki is continuing down the path of feeling doubt and conflicted emotions over virtually everything she knows. Sexing up the scene (especially with the characters looking a bit older with this art style change) probably would have made it less effective in this regard.
Hmm, yea it was fine for what it was trying to do. I thought it was pretty effective for what it did. I would take it over your standard almost-sex ecchi scene we see so much for at least it handles it in a better fashion. I don't need to see everything to realize what's going on... the mind fills the dots.

/pervwing

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-10-27, 12:49   Link #73
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Hey, Satoru took his awesome pills this morning, and is suddenly a swashbuckling hero, complete with swag. Okay, so maybe the last part has more to do with bonobo conditioning, but work with me, people.

Folks have already talked about the art direction. I loved the visual style, and it helped lend to the uncomfortable, claustrophobic feel of the episode, but there's no question that it was distracting and made the action difficult to follow. I consider that a net negative for the show, even if it was a treat for the eyes.

The near-sex scene was perfectly justified given last week's explanation, but it still left me really uncomfortable. That's not a bad thing, of course, in fact I assume that's the whole point. I wonder if it's going to become a plot-important part of this society's conditioning, or if it's only meant to illustrate how removed this culture is from what we'd consider normal today.

The flammable gas thing bothered me. I assume it was being pumped into the tunnels by those tubes (again the quick still cuts made it hard to follow the action) but this seems like a bad idea given that there are more torches down there than just the one Satoru borrowed. Maybe the queerats don't usually use them, and the guide only had it for the sake of Saki and Satoru? Putting that aside, I can see Satoru making an educated guess that breathing it was bad, but how could he know it would go up like that?

Aside from that I still liked the episode. Great tension, just enough squick to get the point across, and some good action, along with some development for Satoru. And the ED remains one of the best OP/ED sequences I've seen in all of 2012.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:51   Link #74
neshru

Quote:
Saki and Satoru came very close to having sex, and groped each other a bit. The visuals conveyed that well enough. What more needs to be shown/said here?
I agree the scene was fine the way it was. It got the point across, and that's all it needed to do.

Quote:
I don't think the viewer is supposed to be titillated by it.
I don't think that's even the problem here. I think they could have had a longer sex scene without making it look arousing, but I don't think they could have avoided making it look shocking or unsettling in some way. I don't think that's the kind of reaction they were shooting for, especially considering it would have been completely out of place in what is basically an action episode.
Old 2012-10-27, 12:59   Link #75
kpk10
Banned

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-27 at 13:16. Reason: Please use spoiler tags for comparison
Old 2012-10-27, 13:01   Link #76
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Remember, in this world NTR isn't just the subject for niche hentai stories -- it's a vital element of the social order.
Old 2012-10-27, 13:09   Link #77
moshika

Quote:
Squera (スクィーラ Sukuīra?)
Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa
What a waste of talent
Old 2012-10-27, 13:42   Link #78
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I've been loving this anime up to now, but this episode was terrible.

Yamauchi's directing style went overboard and it was difficult to tell what was going on due to the abuse of close-ups and failure to animate essential shots. I'm fine with and I even encourage stylistic variation within a series, but not at the cost of the narrative.

The character animation was also terrible, with characters making inappropriate and weird faces all the time.

Also:
Images
inconsistencies
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I'm so glad that this episode is a one-time thing. We're probably going to get a normal-looking episode after this.

Last edited by Tempester; 2012-10-27 at 14:06.
Old 2012-10-27, 13:49   Link #79
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

There were a lot of odd facial expressions in this episode. At first I thought the characters were smiling at inappropriate times (and wondering at the meaning behind that), then I thought maybe they were grimacing under stress (like you see some people laugh when they are really uncomfortable), but now I wonder if it's just the director's weird style?

Edit: Tempester just posted before me and noticed the same thing about the odd faces.
Old 2012-10-27, 14:29   Link #80
ookamigirl

Their problems just continue to accumulate.
Lots of running and hiding.
Didn't think those rat creatures could talk.
That rat queen was really weird.
So a legit colony is having problems with a rogue one.
Those kid just ended up in the middle of it all.

My Blog --> ookami
Closed Thread