AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-08-19, 12:37   Link #8141
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Social cooperation has its cons too. Being too cooperative can lead to the decline of scientific progress as people will not challenge ideas, and also creates a "lazy" society as each of us becomes more and more reliant on others to make up for our flaws instead of learning things for ourselves.

There must be a middling balance between cooperatives and individualism, else we become dogs eating each other, or sheep being led by some dog. Either ways spells disaster for the rest of humanity.

I refuse to cooperate with anyone with regards to claiming lolis! Mine! All mine!
That really isn't what I'd call "social cooperation" - freeloading is a problem no matter what form of society exists. But a balance between collectivism and individualism should be a goal -- as we see the downsides of hyper-individualism in the US, we also see the downsides of hyper-collectivism in, say, Japan or wherever.

It just so happen in the US, I'm inundated by faux hyper-individualism. Basically inverted freeloading of people who benefit from community and infrastructure but don't want to pay for it. They pretend they're islands of rugged individualists, when actually they could not have made it without the community and even more psychotically, they want everyone to culturally lockstep with them
Old 2012-08-19, 12:58   Link #8142
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That really isn't what I'd call "social cooperation" - freeloading is a problem no matter what form of society exists. But a balance between collectivism and individualism should be a goal -- as we see the downsides of hyper-individualism in the US, we also see the downsides of hyper-collectivism in, say, Japan or wherever.

It just so happen in the US, I'm inundated by faux hyper-individualism. Basically inverted freeloading of people who benefit from community and infrastructure but don't want to pay for it. They pretend they're islands of rugged individualists, when actually they could not have made it without the community and even more psychotically, they want everyone to culturally lockstep with them
I agree. Though it seems that we also have faux hyper-collectivism where everybody is pretending to contribute their most and the results are is the best they can get.

At least they named themselves with the right word : optimists. Do the minimum and hope for the best.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-19, 19:54   Link #8143
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Social cooperation has its cons too. Being too cooperative can lead to the decline of scientific progress as people will not challenge ideas, and also creates a "lazy" society as each of us becomes more and more reliant on others to make up for our flaws instead of learning things for ourselves.
Vexx summed it up nicely, but I also wanted to say it for myself. What you're describing isn't cooperation, but being overly polite and agreeable. In terms of scientific research, it's the difference between academics and private industry. In academia there is competition and disagreement amongst labs, but labs will partner up (splitting technology and expertise for different purposes), and ultimately the goal is to publish your data; that is, to share it with the world. The funds to do the work are provided largely by society, and the work is done for society's benefit. That is "social cooperation" from top to bottom.

By comparison, private industry is incredibly closed. They keep much of their work secret (publications are not the goal), and go so far as to keep their employees under non-disclosure agreements. The end goal is to create a product that can be marketed and sold (or at the very least, for patents to be generated). Cooperation is still involved (industry does provide grants to academia), but it takes a very different form.

My opinion is that scientific progress would be stunted if we didn't have academia. Industry doesn't exit for the greater good, it exists for itself. Many Americans downplay the good and necessity of public projects, naively believing that industry alone will lead to a perfect society.
Old 2012-08-20, 13:55   Link #8144
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Augusta National OKs 1st female members, including Condoleezza Rice
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...tory?track=rss
Old 2012-08-21, 11:29   Link #8145
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Facekini craze hits China beach as swimmers try to avoid a tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the article
"I myself don't mind getting tanned, but I can see why pale skin is attractive," Alina Zhao, a college student in the U.S. who grew up in Zhejiang, China, said.

"It definitely has to do with the history of China, which is largely an agricultural society,” she added. “Getting tanned means you work outside in the fields a lot, so skin color is like an indicator of your social status. The fairer you are, the wealthier or more respected you seem."
I...just don't know what to say about this.

Endless"..." Soul
Old 2012-08-21, 11:53   Link #8146
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

Endless"..." Soul
It probably means my white as bleach self would make a killing with the chinese ladies that's what.
Old 2012-08-21, 13:07   Link #8147
Lota

Quote:

Endless"..." Soul
Lol, I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing when I saw that picture XDDD

Well, this is the other extreme. Not too long ago girls were crazy about tan, now this? It's just too funny either way. I feel sad for the poor things.

(Un)Fortunately for me, nature took care of this problem by making me a blond with white white skin (no melanin for meee~), making it almost impossibe to tan unless I want to get severe sunburns or even (worst case scenario) cancer. It's about as fun as it sounds.

Honesty, I don't see what the big deal with white skin is. I'm not saying it's unatractive, but, if I had a chance, I'd like to have skin that gets a nice bronze tan in the summer, mmmmm....
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 13:11   Link #8148
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
Lol, I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop laughing when I saw that picture XDDD

Well, this is the other extreme. Not too long ago girls were crazy about tan, now this? It's just too funny either way. I feel sad for the poor things.

(Un)Fortunately for me, nature took care of this problem by making me a blond with white white skin (no melanin for meee~), making it almost impossibe to tan unless I want to get severe sunburns or even (worst case scenario) cancer. It's about as fun as it sounds.

Honesty, I don't see what the big deal with white skin is. I'm not saying it's unatractive, but, if I had a chance, I'd like to have skin that gets a nice bronze tan in the summer, mmmmm....
Quote:
"It definitely has to do with the history of China, which is largely an agricultural society,” she added. “Getting tanned means you work outside in the fields a lot, so skin color is like an indicator of your social status. The fairer you are, the wealthier or more respected you seem."
as the article said, it is a culture status symbol.
Old 2012-08-21, 13:24   Link #8149
Lota

^ Yeah, I read that part, but I still don't see it. Tan was fine until a while ago and now it isn't? Come onnnnn... White skin, since long ago, has been a sign of high class, of royalty. Wimen would walk with umbrellas as to not get tanned. But those times are long gone. And bringing it up as a culture status symbol? It's just a silly excuse to wear Facekini's for the next big thing(?) — white skin. And honesty, even if that were the case, I'd rather get a tan than be seen in THAT
Old 2012-08-21, 13:36   Link #8150
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Whenever I see the ladies (usually Asian) going around town with the forearm sleeves and the full face shields, I always though it was the fact that they are protecting themselves from the sun so they don't appear to age as much. ~shrugs~

This Facekini things seems to be a bit over the top though.

Also, as a white guy, I actually tan very easily. I guess I can attribute that to a very small portion of Cherokee ancestry.

Endless "Boys of Summer" Soul
Old 2012-08-21, 13:41   Link #8151
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

after thinking about it a bit, the facekini is good export item to Islamic countries.
Old 2012-08-21, 13:53   Link #8152
Lota

^
^ Luckyyyyyyy...

I live in eastern-northern Europe, my parents are both Russian so no luck with genetics Funny enough, my brother gets the nice bronze tan I've always dreamt of, my dad turns red and then gets the tan, my mom is like my brother and I'm the only one in the family not allowed to tan. Tried before, wasn't fun. Skin turned red and then began peeling off, uhhh...

Anyway, I think we've established that the Facekini is a no-no, no matter how much you want white skin. Anyone care to disagree?

^ Lol, you're probably right.
Old 2012-08-21, 14:00   Link #8153
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
after thinking about it a bit, the facekini is good export item to Islamic countries.
Maybe with another name .
Old 2012-08-21, 14:08   Link #8154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Endless"..." Soul
Brilliant, so they get lip and eyelid burned...
Old 2012-08-22, 00:46   Link #8155
JokerD

Family trees: Tracing the world's ancestor

So, incest is irrelevant?
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 08:28   Link #8156
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
BBC is printing another piece of pop-news to sell their site content. Incest isn't irrelevant; that is why we have anti-incest laws around!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-08-22, 08:31   Link #8157
Sumeragi
Banned

Answer: Who cares? All is fair in love and war.

*Hugs SaintessHeart-chan*
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 08:43   Link #8158
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
What is the anti-incest law in most countries anyways? 2 degrees of separation?

Is incest illegal even for non-genetically related relatives like adopted kids?

Time to create a new fantasy world in my head where I have a step sister a year older than me.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 08:59   Link #8159
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Answer: Who cares? All is fair in love and war.

*Hugs SaintessHeart-chan*

*runs and hides*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
What is the anti-incest law in most countries anyways? 2 degrees of separation?
If I remember correctly, marriage is prohibited between blood siblings in countries adopting Commonwealth law or its derivative.

But I think that the community will go up in an uproar if siblings intermarry within their family.

Quote:
Is incest illegal even for non-genetically related relatives like adopted kids?
If I am not wrong, adopted kids and non-blood siblings ARE OK under the eyes of the law, though conservative factions may not approve of it.

A flamethrower can easily solve that problem though.

Quote:
Time to create a new fantasy world in my head where I have a step sister a year older than me.
You'll live to regret it if it comes through. I would prefer to have a step-sister who is 8 years younger.

Old 2012-08-22, 09:08   Link #8160
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
If I am not wrong, adopted kids and non-blood siblings ARE OK under the eyes of the law, though conservative factions may not approve of it.
Buahahah! Excellent.

The sad reality is I haven't even met most of my relatives. The ones I do know are all male with one morbidly obese female cousin with cardiac problems.

Quote:
You'll live to regret it if it comes through. I would prefer to have a step-sister who is 8 years younger.
No I think you'll do fine with a maniac who is the same age as you.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor