AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-06-11, 18:31   Link #1
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Kira's so called newtype abilities...

OK, out of the hokeyness of Seed Destiny and with the general knowledge about Kira, he's basically a newtype. But other than the newtype flash when he launched the super DRAGOONs and ability to feel people's emotions (based on the one episode where he was on the beach), what other newtype abilities does he possess?

I know this for a fact though, he cannot use uber psychic powers a la the UC series nor has he demonstrated those close psychic links like Amuro and Lalah and others who have displayed a connection of the sort, unlike with himself and Rau/Rey/Mwu where its just a recognition. Does he even have negative reaction time or is the speed just a byproduct of him being a Coordinator?

The only reason I bring this up is because whenever someone brings up Kira in a versus thread, they tend to give Kira all the Amuro like Newtype abilities. I find that farfetched, but I'm no expert on Kira myself. I'd just like to shed some light on how much of a newtype Kira really is, especially in comparison to the newtypes of the UC and AC worlds.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 18:53   Link #2
tritoch

We can argue this in a couple of ways.

First: Naturals vs. Coordinators

We can say that Naturals are exactly oldtypes and Coordinators can be considered newtypes

Second: Seed vs. non Seed

Characters that Seed are considered newtypes and all others are old type

Third: Ultimate Coordinator Project

Since the NT flashes happen only to those who where part of the Ultimate Coordinator Project, we can say that they are newtypes.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 18:59   Link #3
shaolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
OK, out of the hokeyness of Seed Destiny and with the general knowledge about Kira, he's basically a newtype. But other than the newtype flash when he launched the super DRAGOONs and ability to feel people's emotions (based on the one episode where he was on the beach), what other newtype abilities does he possess?
That pretty much it.

Quote:
The only reason I bring this up is because whenever someone brings up Kira in a versus thread, they tend to give Kira all the Amuro like Newtype abilities. I find that farfetched, but I'm no expert on Kira myself. I'd just like to shed some light on how much of a newtype Kira really is, especially in comparison to the newtypes of the UC and AC worlds.
One differents is that UC newtypes concept plays an important part to the UC universe and CE newtypes concept plays a less important in CE universe.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 19:16   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well it seems like Mwu's family line and their clones have this 'newtype gene' which they used on Kira as well.

How much of a 'Newtype' Kira is:

1. Kira saw Fllay when she died.
2. Used DRAGOONs, though DRAGOONs are more like computer AI aided,
3. He screamed 'Atare!' when he first launched SF's DRAGOONs
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 19:25   Link #5
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Well it seems like Mwu's family line and their clones have this 'newtype gene' which they used on Kira as well.

How much of a 'Newtype' Kira is:

1. Kira saw Fllay when she died.
2. Used DRAGOONs, though DRAGOONs are more like computer AI aided,
3. He screamed 'Atare!' when he first launched SF's DRAGOONs
If I remember correctly Fukuda said in an interview that Kira didn't see Fllay. In fact that was his way for the audience to "see" what Fllay has always wanted to tell Kira ever since they separated.

Besides, didn't Shin see the ghost of Stella as well? Does that make him a newtype as well?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 19:29   Link #6
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Yes, Kira doesn't see Flay in that scene. Notice he does not respond do any of her comments and just sits in his cockpit crying and saying "Why did you have to die?!" Actually on the DVD Chapter menu for that scene (in the JP version) it says "What she wanted to tell him"

That scene was just to let us know what Flay wanted to say. Kira wasn't there at all.

Also I think Shinn is passed out when he sees Stella. That's a dream or hallucination or something. Because after Stella goes away he wakes up in Luna's arms. They do have a reaction in episode 32 though when their spirits leave their MS and dance or whatever.

And I am just loving how everyone is selling out and actually believing that Kira and Mu are genetically related, when that is speculation at best.
Old 2006-06-11, 19:40   Link #7
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Soooooooooooooooo...

Kira does not have the same negative reaction time as Amuro... right? I'm also assuming Kira does not possess precognition like newtypes of the UC. Unless I'm completely wrong on that point, Kira hasn't displayed anything like Amuro and Char like so. It just seems like a lot of people come to the conclusion that since Kira is a "newtype," he has access to those abilites of the UC newtypes.

Old 2006-06-11, 20:01   Link #8
[DarkazurESky]

Quote:
negative reaction time as Amuros.
what does this mean?
[DarkazurESky] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 20:03   Link #9
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Okay. Kira is not a Newtype. Newtypes do not exist in the Cosmic Era. This "term" was never officially introduced ANYWHERE into any publication or media source, therefore the "fandoms" wonderful "brain" seems to insist upon the fact that the \/\/\/\/\/ thing you see means "ZOMG NEWTYPE JUST LIKE TEH UC!!!!111". Well guess what... it doesn't.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 20:08   Link #10
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Okay. Kira is not a Newtype. Newtypes do not exist in the Cosmic Era. This "term" was never officially introduced ANYWHERE into any publication or media source, therefore the "fandoms" wonderful "brain" seems to insist upon the fact that the \/\/\/\/\/ thing you see means "ZOMG NEWTYPE JUST LIKE TEH UC!!!!111". Well guess what... it doesn't.
I agree Kira is not Newtype and the only reason Mu has a reaction to Rau and Rey is the clone thing. There is no Newtype in CE.
Old 2006-06-11, 20:12   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hey I didn't say Kira is a newtype or I believed Kira and Mwu is related.

Though I did say Kira may have gotten genes from Mwu's dad or something, it's a speculation yes. I believed it happened? No.

Even if Kira did get genes from them:

Scientists are already well on the way to bring cancer immunity genes from rats or anti-freezing fish genes to humans. Humans with these genes aren't genetically related to rats or fish right?

Well the last time I saw the Kira/Fllay scene was in SRW@3 and J. Seems like in those dialogues it appeared to me that they were actually talking. Since its offical that they didn't then yea, we've further disproved the theory that Kira is a 'newtype'.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 20:17   Link #12
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DarkazurESky]
what does this mean?
I think he means reacting so fast that the MS he pilots ends up overheating, and not able to move as fast as the pilot is reacting. (as seen in MSG during the fight with the MAN-03 Braw Bro if I remember right)

So fast that they had to completely rework the MS with magnetic coating to allow its joints and movement to keep up (and in the case of 0080 build an entirely new mobile suit specifically for him to be able to handle it).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-11, 20:25   Link #13
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Thank you very much for disproving the fact he's a so-called "newtype." Because to me it never made sense that he was called a newtype other than the fact he had some random "flash." It's just rather dumb hearing sooooo many people give Kira UC newtype abilities when he's never displayed any of them, especially during versus threads where they say, "OMGZZZZORRS!!! Kira can precog a ZERO SHIFT from JEhutIE and BOOOM!!!"

I guess we can all blame Fukuda then. XD

Old 2006-06-11, 20:44   Link #14
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DarkazurESky]
what does this mean?
To have negative reaction time means the ability to react to something before it occurs.

This is possible for newtypes because they have such a developed 6th sense and partial empath/telepath mind-reading of their opponent.

The effect is that a Newtype pilot could dodge an enemy missile before it is fired. Even more uniquely, it makes it possible to dodge laser fire or other speed-of-light weapons. (When two Newtypes fight each other, the effects cancel out.)
Old 2006-06-11, 23:42   Link #15
fizzmaister
The Tall One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
To have negative reaction time means the ability to react to something before it occurs.

This is possible for newtypes because they have such a developed 6th sense and partial empath/telepath mind-reading of their opponent.

The effect is that a Newtype pilot could dodge an enemy missile before it is fired. Even more uniquely, it makes it possible to dodge laser fire or other speed-of-light weapons. (When two Newtypes fight each other, the effects cancel out.)
yes that is negative reaction time. Just like Mr. Miyagi dodging punches before they're thrown. It has nothing to do with the capabilities of the suit.

Zeques managed to react faster than the tallgeesse could respond, he isn't a newtype or anything
fizzmaister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 00:00   Link #16
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Sorry to be OT again, but I haven't seen CCA, etc. - does every newtype that use funnels also scream 'ATARIII!!!!' when they attack?
Is it some kind of newtype funnel/dragoon firing trend? (e.g does Amuro say it? That'd be pretty cool, lol)
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 00:05   Link #17
tritoch

I know Gyunei said "Atari." Also when Char was using his funnels to attack the nuclear missiles.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 00:09   Link #18
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Fyi, it's "Atare", not "Atari".
Old 2006-06-12, 06:04   Link #19
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Fyi, it's "Atare", not "Atari".
My friends who are Japanese say it's 'atari' (meaning, 'hit' or 'to strike').

So I'm about to tell them that they're all wrong.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 06:21   Link #20
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Flores
My friends who are Japanese say it's 'atari' (meaning, 'hit' or 'to strike').

So I'm about to tell them that they're all wrong.
Japanese-American maybe? If they think it's atari, they don't know their own fcking language. I'm full blooded honky and even I know it's "atare".