Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-11, 13:48   Link #1
Grungir

Otaku in training seeking advice

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the whole anime scene and would like some suggestions on some good series to watch. In particular, I would like something with action and romance. I will attempt to explain what kind:
I REALLY liked Elfen Lied, something comparable to that would be great. I think it is the angsty UST throughout the show that made it enjoyable. Similar feeling anime (to me at least) are something like Robotech (the Rick/Lisa angle) and RahXephon or maybe even like Full Metal Panic! (not sure where the relationship is going there). Basically when you can tell 2 people really like/love eachother but one or both cant figure it out... but then finally do. Fanservice is fine (im well above age ) as well as other themes (scifi, mecha, etc.) Like I said, my knowledge of the subject is pretty limited so I probably havent seen even the "famous" anime of this genre. Ive been reading this forum quite a bit but the sheer amount of info is overwhelming.

If you have any questions to help clarify my request, please feel free to post. I didnt realize it would be that hard for me to describe when I started the post
Old 2006-08-11, 13:56   Link #2
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

You must watch Gunparade March

others:

Shakugan no Shana-must see
Zero no Tsukaima-not as gripping as shana but still good and funny
Vandread-its good

can't describe, very tired

@_@
Old 2006-08-11, 14:33   Link #3
jedinat

Yeah, Gunparade March is good. I always love the whole girl is cold and mean towards guy, then starts to like guy but can't be honest with herself... that type of thing... I think the word for it is tsundere

hmmm... perhaps Gundam SEED? That had a bit of romance to it. And the Gundam battles were very pretty to look at.
Old 2006-08-12, 00:54   Link #4
Grungir

Yea, I kinda like the Tsundere thing but im more interested in when there is a problem/block to their getting together. Especially when the woman wants the guy (a la RahXephon or Robotech) and he either likes some other girl and he cant figure it out, OR there is some block that she has to assuure him of that he can actually get around if he stops being a dumbass.

edit: thanks for the suggestions BTW.... added the lisenced ones to my netflix queue
Old 2006-08-12, 01:28   Link #5
Edgewalker
Nani ?

If you havent seen escaflowne already, give it a try.
Old 2006-08-12, 01:31   Link #6
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungir
Yea, I kinda like the Tsundere thing but im more interested in when there is a problem/block to their getting together. Especially when the woman wants the guy (a la RahXephon or Robotech) and he either likes some other girl and he cant figure it out, OR there is some block that she has to assuure him of that he can actually get around if he stops being a dumbass.
The relationship in Midori no Hibi fits your preference I believe. Ah, and Video Girl AI, even more so.
Old 2006-08-13, 02:30   Link #7
andromeda0201

Suzuka fits it perfectly, their relationship is really difficult

Karin....well they do have problems, the most with her being a vampire

Ranma 1/2 would be the classic one as the couple quarrel most of the time, I recommend the manga for this though
Old 2006-08-13, 04:12   Link #8
Akeval

Send a message via AIM to Akeval
Suzuka i find to be pretty boring, but Karin is pretty good, i havent finished it, but i think its a good one too

i think something you should check out (even though its a tad off of your genre desire) is Kono Minikukumo Utsukushii Sekai A.K.A. This ugly and beautiful world, it has the romance, with a dash of action, and also has a nice feel to it. It was one of my favorites with the development of the story, really a must see
Old 2006-08-13, 14:07   Link #9
howzitboy

if your a real otaku in training, u gotta see genshiken, its a show bout OTAKU"S!! and its really funny.
i think for anyone to be a real otaku, u gotta go force yourself to watch all the gundam series. then u can really talk bout animes!!
Old 2006-08-16, 10:23   Link #10
Grungir

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
The relationship in Midori no Hibi fits your preference I believe. Ah, and Video Girl AI, even more so.
Thanks for pointing me to Midori no Hibi! It was just about exactly what I was looking for. Felt bad for Asuya though

Edit:
Any more suggestions would be great!
Old 2006-08-16, 19:32   Link #11
horsdhaleine
i miss japan!

watch samurai champloo...
Old 2006-08-16, 20:41   Link #12
Grungir

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsdhaleine
watch samurai champloo...
I have
Not much in the way of romance there though
Old 2006-08-16, 21:55   Link #13
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I think Shakugan no Shana and Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase would probably all fit with what you're looking for. In SnS both characters are kind of clueless (the one's inexperienced and the other is worried about her because of her occupation). Tsukuyomi has a vampire and her servant (that won't obey).
Old 2006-08-16, 22:32   Link #14
Grungir

Thanks again for the tips... Ill watch the recommended ones and then report back
Old 2006-08-22, 09:20   Link #15
Grungir

Double Post!
Currently watching Shakugan no Shana... excellent so far.

One question:
Are there any of these series that actually have a relationship? Just about all the ones I have seen, the unrequited love is affirmed in the last 2 minutes... then they just show a differend ending or whatever. I would like to see one where they figure it out (one way or another) BEFORE the last episode.
Old 2006-08-22, 13:25   Link #16
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungir
One question:
Are there any of these series that actually have a relationship? Just about all the ones I have seen, the unrequited love is affirmed in the last 2 minutes... then they just show a differend ending or whatever. I would like to see one where they figure it out (one way or another) BEFORE the last episode.
Kare Kano is a great one in that regard.
Old 2006-09-29, 10:54   Link #17
MamoruUsagi

There are lots of anime and manga where the couples are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and get married. You just need to read shoujo manga.

Sailor Moon
Bokura ga Ita
Fushigi Yuugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Mars
High School Debut
The Devil Does Exist
Kare First Love
Happy Hustle High
Wild Act
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Doubt!!
Absolute Boyfriend
Fushigi Yugi
Ayashi no Ceres
Kare First Love
Ultra Cute
Paradise Kiss
Mars
Sensual Phrase
Happy Hustle High
Ultra Maniac
Akuma De Sourou
His and Her Circumstances
Punch!
Missile Happy!
Kare Kano
Kaikan Phrase
Love Attack
B.O.D.Y
Sand Chronicles
Land of the Blindfolded
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Sailor Moon R
Sailor Moon S
Sailor Moon SuperS

Sailor Moon has 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. The romance is wonderful. The couple are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and get married and have a child. Their are lots of romantic kisses. Tuxedo Mask is a wonderful character. I've been a fan since 1995.

Fushigi Yuugi is 18 manga volumes. It's really romantic, the couple are boyfriend and girlfriend during the series and get married. I recommend you read the manga, the manga is 18 volumes long and the anime only goes up to volume 13. The Fushigi Yugi manga is very romantic.

Ayashi no Ceres is a great manga, but the anime takes out everything. Only read the manga, do not watch the anime. The manga has romance, sex, drama and more. The anime cuts out half the plot and all the sex.

Marmalade Boy is a romantic series that is realistic. The couple are boyfriend and girlfriend and dating during the middle of the series. It is 76 episodes and 8 volumes.

High School Debut is another.

The Devil Does Exist is a realistic romance series.

Wild Act is a great romance manga.

Missile Happy! is a sweet romance manga.

Love Attack

Mars is a realistic series with a couple that is boyfriend and girlfriend and dating and lviing together and engaged and in a relationship.

Happy Hustle High, the manga, is romantic and funny. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend early on and it's really cute, romantic and funny.

Doubt!! is a romance/comedy manga.

Ultra Cute

Absolute Boyfriend is another romantic comedy.

Kare First Love is a romance manga with drama. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend early on and date during the series.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou, His and Her Circumstances, Kare Kano, a completely different series from Kare First Love is an anime and a manga. It is a completely different series from Kare First Love. The manga is 21 volumes, the anime goes up to volume 7. It's really good, His and Her Circumstances.

Mars is a romance/drama manga. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend early on and date during the series. Rape, sex, dating and engagement are covered.

Peach Girl is a realistic manga. The manga is great, the anime cuts out a lot and waters everything down, changing sex references to kissing. The manga is 18 volumes. Volumes 1-8 are sold as Peach Girl 1-8, volumes 9-18 are sold as Peach Girl Change of Heart 1-10. You might accidentally buy the wrong volumes, so make sure you get the right volumes.

Bokura ga Ita is good.

Sensual Phrase is romantic and mature.

Akuma De Sourou is realistic.

Paradise Kiss has a couple that is dating and boyfriend and girlfriend and in a relationship.

The series I recommend have the couple as boyfriend and girlfriend and dating during the middle of the series. I like series which have the couple get together a long time before the end and are dating and boyfriend and girlfriend early on in the series and get married.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-24 at 23:40.
Closed Thread