AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2014-02-16, 05:09   Link #1021
battle22

Yes, it's Stephen Paul. He does a wonderful job. The epitaph for example is nearly the same as WH. Though Twilight has been changed into "Night". The Epitaph is as solvable with Yen version as with the WH one.
Old 2014-06-03, 02:59   Link #1022
fuff

so i just looked over this and...
**link removed due to the rules
Spoiler for gives ending?!:

Last edited by fuff; 2014-06-04 at 00:50.
fuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 06:58   Link #1023
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff View Post
so i just looked over this and...

Spoiler for gives ending?!:
It is not the ending.
The EP7 and (especially) EP8 manga is considerably longer than the other ones. We are currently up to 29 chapters (25 chapters + 4 bonus chapters) released for EP8, with this chapter (24) also to be included in the 4th volume of the manga going to be released in August 2014.

If you have read the VN you should know that this scene (in considerably less detail) also featured there and Ange "killed" herself there as well. If you remember that portion you should also know what plot is going to be featured next (and it has got a lot more details to it).

Last edited by haguruma; 2014-06-04 at 03:29.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-04, 00:30   Link #1024
fuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
It is not the ending.
The EP7 and (especially) EP8 manga is considerably longer than the other ones. We are currently up to 29 chapters (25 chapters + 4 bonus chapters) released for EP8, with this chapter (24) also to be included in the 4th volume of the manga going to be released in August 2014.

If you have read the VN you should know that this scene (in considerably less detail) also featured there and Ange "killed" herself there as well. If you remember that portion you should also know what plot is going to be featured next (and it has got a lot more details to it).
is chapters 25+ out yet? i cant see to find them online
Old 2014-06-04, 03:29   Link #1025
haguruma

Quote:
is chapters 25+ out yet? i cant see to find them online
Excerpts of them can be found on this blog, though they are never the complete chapters (and sometimes crucial contents are missing). I also provided some text-translations for three of the bonus chapters and chapter 25 in the spoilers thread.
Old 2014-06-04, 05:00   Link #1026
fuff

Quote:
Excerpts of them can be found on this blog, though they are never the complete chapters (and sometimes crucial contents are missing). I also provided some text-translations for three of the bonus chapters and chapter 25 in the spoilers thread.
thanks! ya the chapters seem to hard to find in full and that site i use only has up to ch 24

edit: can i please have a link to the translations as well
Old 2014-06-05, 01:01   Link #1027
haguruma

Quote:
thanks! ya the chapters seem to hard to find in full and that site i use only has up to ch 24

edit: can i please have a link to the translations as well
Since manga-scanning has begun to be pursued a lot harder in recent months, people have stopped uploading in such quantities, and of course magazines with only a small reading public outside Japan (like GANGAN Joker) get tossed off the wagon. It's probably good to do something against illegal scan uploading...I just wish magazines would start to release digital versions of their monthly magazines.

The translations are these here:
The bonus chapters (though missing Interlude: Hachijo Ikuko at the moment) are here, here, and here, and this is Chapter 25, which is the most current chapter until June 21st.
Old 2014-06-06, 01:22   Link #1028
fuff

Quote:
Since manga-scanning has begun to be pursued a lot harder in recent months, people have stopped uploading in such quantities, and of course magazines with only a small reading public outside Japan (like GANGAN Joker) get tossed off the wagon. It's probably good to do something against illegal scan uploading...I just wish magazines would start to release digital versions of their monthly magazines.

The translations are these here:
The bonus chapters (though missing Interlude: Hachijo Ikuko at the moment) are here, here, and here, and this is Chapter 25, which is the most current chapter until June 21st.
thanks!! ya it took so long for ch 24 to come online...ive been stalking the site for months
Old 2014-06-10, 23:07   Link #1029
Void_Heart

Sorry to sidetrack, but I have a quick question.

I'm looking to get a hard copy of Umineko, because I'd rather not rely on youtube and manga scanlations, in the event I lose my internet connection.

For personal preference, which version of Umineko do you guys like better? The VN or the Manga, and why do you prefer that version?
Void_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 04:06   Link #1030
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

I'd have to say, the VN, definitely the VN. Though the manga is a very good, almost meticulous adaptation, it lacks one thing: the epic soundtrack, which is, clearly, one of the main reasons to love Umineko.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 09:06   Link #1031
haguruma

The only problem with the VN is the very obvious incompleteness of EP8, as well as some additions made to the manga in terms of clarified elements (like the added Red in EP3 for example).

If anything I'd say, read the manga while listening to the soundtrack
Old 2014-06-11, 13:37   Link #1032
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void_Heart View Post
Sorry to sidetrack, but I have a quick question.

I'm looking to get a hard copy of Umineko, because I'd rather not rely on youtube and manga scanlations, in the event I lose my internet connection.

For personal preference, which version of Umineko do you guys like better? The VN or the Manga, and why do you prefer that version?
I'll say the VN for the first 4 episodes and the manga for Chiru.
The VN is undoubtely more rich in details. The manga isn't bad though, it keeps most of it and even adds some extra hints but well, for me the culprit's reasons are better hinted in the VN's first 4 episodes. Things start turning with Chiru where the manga expresses much better the characters' feelings adding deep to their portrait (even Erika's character was better explained in Ep 5 manga version than in Ep 5 VN version) while the VN starts progressively losing quality until it reaches that mess that's Ep 8.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 16:16   Link #1033
Void_Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
I'd have to say, the VN, definitely the VN. Though the manga is a very good, almost meticulous adaptation, it lacks one thing: the epic soundtrack, which is, clearly, one of the main reasons to love Umineko.

Quote:
The only problem with the VN is the very obvious incompleteness of EP8, as well as some additions made to the manga in terms of clarified elements (like the added Red in EP3 for example).

If anything I'd say, read the manga while listening to the soundtrack

I have most of the OST on my phone so If I had the manga that's not much of a loss (apart from the ps3 voice patch anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
I'll say the VN for the first 4 episodes and the manga for Chiru.
The VN is undoubtely more rich in details. The manga isn't bad though, it keeps most of it and even adds some extra hints but well, for me the culprit's reasons are better hinted in the VN's first 4 episodes. Things start turning with Chiru where the manga expresses much better the characters' feelings adding deep to their portrait (even Erika's character was better explained in Ep 5 manga version than in Ep 5 VN version) while the VN starts progressively losing quality until it reaches that mess that's Ep 8.
Thanks, unfortunately though, Chiru isn't available as a hard copy ( and wont be for quite a while )
Old 2014-06-11, 17:00   Link #1034
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

The manga is a very good adaptation, but I'd say the VN overall is vastly superior, except for episode 8. It's not that the ep 8 VN is bad - I found it lots of fun - but it's as Haguruma said: it's obviously incomplete. The manga fills in all the gaps.

As for versions of the VN, my preference is very much for the original. The ported version with new graphics is pretty and all, but Ryukishi does the best expressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void_Heart View Post
I have most of the OST on my phone so If I had the manga that's not much of a loss (apart from the ps3 voice patch anyways)
Personally, I think it would be a big loss. The VN has carefully placed songs. Just listening to the soundtrack on its own can't be a substitute for that.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-11, 19:16   Link #1035
Void_Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
Personally, I think it would be a big loss. The VN has carefully placed songs. Just listening to the soundtrack on its own can't be a substitute for that.
I'll agree to that. It's fun watching everything on Youtube.
Old 2015-01-16, 15:52   Link #1036
DoubtGin

Got two questions (out of curiosity):

1. In Episode 8, we got that great (imo) hide and seek game that actually told us quite a bit about how the murders happened right? There were lots of interactions between the characters in those chapters. I only got these:
- Beatrice painting the door with her handprints (was it mentioned before that it wasn't really blood?)
- Hideyoshi opening the door because he sees Kanon.
- Shannon and Kanon pretending to be dead.
- Rosa/Maria interaction (did this one give away any hint?)
- Battler being Kyrie's son (while we are at it, why didn't Rudolph tell Kyrie that Battler in her real son in Episode 7? She said she doesn't care what happens to Battler because he isn't her kid, didn't she?

2. What are some foreshadowing scenes in the manga (or the game as a whole, but this is the manga thread, so yea)? So I'm talking about scenes that kinda hinted at what happened but since we didn't have any information back then, we didn't really think about it.
- Kanon blushing after seeing Battler.
- Shannon letting Battler feel her breasts.
- Kanon/Kinzo garden scene where Beatrice tells Kinzo "without love it cannot be seen"
- Beatrice checking her breasts after being "revived" (?) by Battler at the end of Episode 3
- ???

What are other scenes? I really like looking back and saying "oh damn, how didn't I notice this the first time" to myself.

Thanks in advance.
DoubtGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-07, 15:54   Link #1037
jTiKey

are there any plans\news on Forgery of the Purple Logic's translation?
jTiKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-14, 09:55   Link #1038
Megumi Kitagawa

I just ordered all of the manga and pre-ordered the first volume for EP5, and I love them so far. One volume is about as thick as Infinite Jest which is crazy. I like the manga collages at the end. Editor-in-Chief Eva-Beatrice seems really fun.
Megumi Kitagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 17:40   Link #1039
Megumi Kitagawa

The first volume for EP5 came out. I love this volume, and I'm so happy that I got it since it's now covering my favorite Episode. I'll be re-reading this a few times.
Megumi Kitagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-21, 21:40   Link #1040
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megumi Kitagawa View Post
The first volume for EP5 came out. I love this volume, and I'm so happy that I got it since it's now covering my favorite Episode. I'll be re-reading this a few times.
That's good to hear! My copy just shipped today, and I'm really looking forward to it since EP5 is also my favorite episode. I can't wait to see how the manga captures Erika's character.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, shounen