Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-05-04, 17:29   Link #181
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm Filipino. Dried Anchovies is like a special of the needy people like me. I know a neighbor of us that eats dried anchovies every day!!!
I like it but I can't eat it everyday because it's really salty though. Plus, I have to remove the heads if I want it to taste better.

More importantly, it's hard to get it in the UK

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:39   Link #182
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Well too bad.But look at the bright side. The more hard to get it, the more you wanna eat it.

Oh, I also add slices of tomatoes while it is being fried (not deep fried, a tablespoon for an handful of dried anchovies is enough). Damn, I think fry some right now... hehehe..if there are still left over rice.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:50   Link #183
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Stir fry's mostly and salads, have to eat healthy for my job. Also I buy a lot of pasta and sushi really can't get enough of it
Old 2012-05-05, 14:22   Link #184
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Oh god...I sooo am subscribing to this thread...FOOD IS MY FIRST (and only ) LOVE

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 14:23   Link #185
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlike1889 View Post
Oh god...I sooo am subscribing to this thread...FOOD IS MY FIRST (and only ) LOVE
Glad to hear that

Old 2012-05-05, 14:25   Link #186
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
So what's today's recipe?

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 14:36   Link #187
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlike1889 View Post
So what's today's recipe?
Well, I cooked for today's dinner Szechuan chicken with tofu. Really spicy~~

Old 2012-05-05, 21:13   Link #188
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I made a simple white spaghetti with prosciutto, minced garlic, shallots and calabrian peppers, seasoned with rosemary and fresh-ground black pepper.

Basically just take some salty water in a pot, boil it and add spaghetti noodles when it's boiling. If you have any, toss a chunk of Parmesan rind into the water while it boils and the noodles cook.

Get a big shallot or two small shallots and slice them thinly. Chop up a little bit of calabrian pepper (but not a huge amount, they're really strongly flavored) and take that and the shallots in a frying pan with some olive oil and sautee them. When the onion goes translucent, mince some garlic and slice up some prosciutto (thin ribbons) and toss those into the oil with the onion and peppers.

Cook this for about half a minute to take the edge off the garlic, then add some dried rosemary, a bit of kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper, then a few small glugs of cream sherry to the pan. Cook off the mixture at high heat to take the raw alcohol flavor out and add a quarter cup or so of chicken stock. Cook this for a bit longer, cut the heat to medium and then add a half cup of milk or cream (depending on how rich you want it).

Cut the heat to almost completely off--you don't want the milk/cream curdling. Let it cook away slowly so all the good flavors get nice and infused. While this is steeping the milk and chicken stock go ahead and finely grate about a cup of good-quality Parmesan cheese (not the crap made with vegetable rennet either) and a quarter cup of Gruyere cheese. Set the cheeses aside for now.

Drain off the pasta (make sure to get rid of the Parmesan rind if you used it) and put it in the pan with the sauce. Sprinkle all the cheese on top and start stirring it. Raise the heat a little bit if the cheese doesn't melt right away.

Once it's done you want to plate it up right away and then serve immediately, garnishing with a bit of fresh parsley.
Old 2012-05-05, 21:38   Link #189
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Yep, Synaesthetic knows how to cook better than all of us here. In terms of cooking technique, I know she is good. I know she has had a job or two as a cook before (right?). The pasta you made sounds good.

I want to make homemade pesto sometime, serve it up on pasta and then serve it with bruschetta. Make the tomato based topping with fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs and serve it on toasted french bread slices. Should be good!
Old 2012-05-06, 03:58   Link #190
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll tell some of my Japanese/Korean recipes if there are requests.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 04:55   Link #191
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yep, Synaesthetic knows how to cook better than all of us here. In terms of cooking technique, I know she is good. I know she has had a job or two as a cook before (right?). The pasta you made sounds good.

I want to make homemade pesto sometime, serve it up on pasta and then serve it with bruschetta. Make the tomato based topping with fresh tomatoes and fresh herbs and serve it on toasted french bread slices. Should be good!
I had many jobs as a cook. But mostly what I've learned is from my own mucking about in the kitchen.

Homemade pesto is wonderful. Really, it's worlds better than the jarred stuff, and it's dead easy to make. You want about 4:1 ratio of Italian flatleaf parsley to basil to get a good basil flavor without being massively overpowering. Then it's just a matter of a good extra virgin olive oil, a good Parmesan or peccarino romano (or both, like I do), garlic and some toasted pine nuts. I also tend to finely mince some shallots (yes, I really like shallots ) and add a bit of kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
Old 2012-05-06, 06:40   Link #192
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I had many jobs as a cook. But mostly what I've learned is from my own mucking about in the kitchen.

Homemade pesto is wonderful. Really, it's worlds better than the jarred stuff, and it's dead easy to make. You want about 4:1 ratio of Italian flatleaf parsley to basil to get a good basil flavor without being massively overpowering. Then it's just a matter of a good extra virgin olive oil, a good Parmesan or peccarino romano (or both, like I do), garlic and some toasted pine nuts. I also tend to finely mince some shallots (yes, I really like shallots ) and add a bit of kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
Sounds good. Do you have more flat leaf parsley or more basil? I thought it was basil, but the way you worded it, it seems like the opposite.
Old 2012-05-06, 13:24   Link #193
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Sounds good. Do you have more flat leaf parsley or more basil? I thought it was basil, but the way you worded it, it seems like the opposite.
More parsley. If you used mostly basil it would be so powerfully flavored that you wouldn't be able to eat it, probably. It'd also be really expensive--basil costs a lot more than Italian parsley.

Usually what I do is get two or three big ole bunches of Italian flatleaf parsley and about a quarter to a third of that in basil. Make sure the big thick parts of the parsley stem don't go into the pesto (same with the basil, actually) and blend it all together with the garlic, cheese, toasted pine nuts, shallots or purple onion (optional, but I lurvs it) and olive oil in a food processor or using a stick blender.

If you want to make a shitload of pesto and save some for later, the stuff freezes remarkably well. Just make a huge batch, use what you will for dinner that night and then put the rest in ice cube trays and cover them with clingfilm. Put that in the freezer and whenever you need some pesto just retrieve a few cubes and toss them in hot pasta--the heat from the noodles will melt and warm the pesto through.
Old 2012-05-06, 14:40   Link #194
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I never had homemade pesto. I hear it is very good.

And yeah, the jarred stuff tastes like crap. The refridgerated stuff that comes in plastic containers is good. But I never buy the jarred stuff. Tried it once, and don't wanna have it again.
Old 2012-05-06, 19:13   Link #195
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Just got hungry...for a picture! I ain't no photographer or cook, damn it!
Spoiler for I smell Italy...or is that the supermarket?:
Old 2012-05-06, 19:16   Link #196
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Im so hungry , going downstairs to raid my kitchen Will see what I can make
Old 2012-05-06, 19:20   Link #197
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Sure does a home cooked meal I guess... is the chicken roasted or fried? Oh the pasta..... * checking the ref.
Old 2012-05-06, 19:22   Link #198
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Im so hungry , going downstairs to raid my kitchen Will see what I can make
I hear ya, I had to wait like...5 hours for the chicken to defrost! xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Sure does a home cooked meal I guess... is the chicken roasted or fried? Oh the pasta..... * checking the ref.
Can't beat it (unless you're like...at a good restaurant...)! The chicken was slowly simmered in a Marsala sauce over a decent period of time. I'm eating it right now.
Old 2012-05-06, 19:25   Link #199
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I'm eating it right now.
Damn..... *crying...
Old 2012-05-06, 20:05   Link #200
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Cooked a load of jasmine rice with cardamom pods in it. Put some omomom chilly sauce on the top and I am good for the night