AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-13, 21:07   Link #361
Sumeragi
Banned

For some reason, I want to be a necromancer.

Old 2012-11-13, 21:24   Link #362
Ridwan

^Rise of The Zombie Cats ?
Old 2012-11-14, 01:51   Link #363
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Thread necromancy is the 'in' thing nowadays?

Anyway, konnichiwa to all the non-westerners here and konbanwa to the westerners who are still up this late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
http://www.quantcast.com/animesuki.com#!countries

It's a general overview of all people that check the site, but it can give you an idea from where we get the most visitors and likely members that end up joining the forum.
I guess I don't have to fix anything after all. Americans are the majority of visitors, as expected. I'm more surprised by how many visits there are from Japan, but not that many Japanese seem to register and post. Or maybe that number also includes foreign members currently staying in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Talking about their local times.. Im not bothering about to change my clock during my work. In the past 4 days, i have been switching timezones 9 times.
If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned in one thread that you're an airplane pilot? If so, then I agree it is useless to bother with timezones.
Old 2012-11-14, 10:04   Link #364
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
I guess I don't have to fix anything after all. Americans are the majority of visitors, as expected.
There used to be a lot more Americans a few years ago, and they would easily amount for half of our registered members. Eventually, more people from Asia started to join and many of our American friends moved on to something else.
Old 2012-11-14, 11:31   Link #365
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm slightly surprised by the amount of Japanese people who visit the forum. Only slightly because I remember seeing translated AS posts posted on 2ch, so it looks like they're interested in western reactions (even if there aren't only westerners here), at least sometimes.
Old 2012-11-14, 13:13   Link #366
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm slightly surprised by the amount of Japanese people who visit the forum. Only slightly because I remember seeing translated AS posts posted on 2ch, so it looks like they're interested in western reactions (even if there aren't only westerners here), at least sometimes.
I remember seeing a thread a while back where someone that was Japanese that wasn't particularly proficient in English was trying to be a semi-active member here. If I recall, they were particularly curious about the "western" perception of anime and manga culture.. so maybe there's that?

They were also barraged in response with tons of questions about Japan, so all's fair in the end right? I'm more surprised how little Japanese traffic 4chan.org gets considering it was inspired by 2chan..

http://www.quantcast.com/4chan.org?country=JP

The outcome is uncertain at this time
Old 2012-11-14, 16:06   Link #367
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I'm not surprised that not a lot of Japanese would register... after all, even if they're required to learn English in school, this forum might be too heavy of English.

And I also remember that thread where the young lady from Japan wanted to learn stuff... shame it died, but I think she got some very simple, to-the-point answers and in return was bombarded with questions.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2012-11-14, 17:36   Link #368
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
I'm not surprised that not a lot of Japanese would register... after all, even if they're required to learn English in school, this forum might be too heavy of English.

And I also remember that thread where the young lady from Japan wanted to learn stuff... shame it died, but I think she got some very simple, to-the-point answers and in return was bombarded with questions.
remind me to korean girl in my school. new student korean girl in my school. get bombardment by question. quit school

Old 2012-11-14, 19:45   Link #369
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
remind me to korean girl in my school. new student korean girl in my school. get bombardment by question. quit school
Since we're on this topic, I was born in Canada so my legal first name is an English name, even though I'm ethnically 100% Chinese. One of my friends, a 100% Japanese girl by ethnicity is the same way. So our high school had an exchange program, she went to Japan, where she's never been before .. and apparently had a miserable time cause everyone was expecting a Caucasian or mixed girl..

The outlook is mixed
Old 2012-11-14, 19:55   Link #370
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

my dad is a Vietnamese and my mother is Chinese, so i guess i'm half half? lol.
i was born in Vietnam, but i left that country when i was 5 years old. so i pretty much
dont know much or anything about my country. i have been living in America for almost 22-23
years now. i feel like more of an American than anything.

oh yeah, when i was in the military. i was like the only asian around. everyone was expecting
me to be like Jet Li or something...come on now, just cause i'm like the only asian dood around,
you cant start calling me Jet Li.

i did know how to do some martial arts and split. i show them a little and they were
all going "dood, that was CRAZY!" lol. ah, the memories.

EDIT: they did kind of make fun of my Engrish. i had some trouble speaking english properly.
you know like how most of those anime characters tries to speak english? yep, that goes same
for me...lol. they laugh @ my engrish, but i didnt mind much. i was happy that it made them laugh
since the military was quite depression at time and just to smile and laugh was a blessing. i still
love all of them, my comrades, brothers and friends in arm. you guys were the best, even though you
made fun of me! ;p

Last edited by Xefi; 2012-11-14 at 20:27.
Old 2012-11-14, 22:41   Link #371
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Five Reasons To Date A Man Who Wears Panties

http://hopealexander.hubpages.com/hu...-Wears-Panties

Old 2012-11-14, 23:05   Link #372
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post

oh yeah, when i was in the military. i was like the only asian around. everyone was expecting
me to be like Jet Li or something...come on now, just cause i'm like the only asian dood around,
you cant start calling me Jet Li.
Another thing I noticed here; alot of us seem to be ex-military What's up with that ?
Old 2012-11-14, 23:16   Link #373
Ridwan

That, or coming from military family.
Old 2012-11-14, 23:19   Link #374
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
That, or coming from military family.
What if we just like to stand around making sounds like "Boom!" and "Pow!"

Actually, I never joined the military myself, but I do have a few friends that did .. and I just like guns. This may be nothing to you military folk, but man.. when I was in Vegas, firing a tripod mounted Browning 1919 was FANTASTICO!

All signs point to .. BOOM!
Old 2012-11-14, 23:19   Link #375
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

@RRW: heh, if you let the men get together, they'll start wearing panties. there
are all sort of people out there, so i'm not too SHOCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Another thing I noticed here; alot of us seem to be ex-military
military was the life! lol. well, i only join because i wasnt really good at school.
i'm average at best and not very certain with my future when i graduated from
High School. i join the military (army) to better my life and help me become a better
person. i'm actually happy with my choice to join the military. it was harsh and
a totally different lifestyle compare to the civilian life.

but the military change my life. i guess to meet a lot of people from White people,
Black people, Indian friends, Latino, Mexican, Korean, Chinese, heck...even some
Vietnameses, my own kind. all in all, i did really enjoy my time there. thanks to all
that exposure to different people and their cultures, i learned to respect them
even more.

which did you join? Navy, Marine or Army? and from past experience, i suggest not
going the Airborne school. it was not worth the extra $150 pay check...lol. i'm still shaking
from all of those jumps from the C-130 / C-140 military aircraft...gives me goosbumps.

EDIT: @willx: the only guns i guess to fire during my service were M-16, M-4, .50 calibur machine gun (this gun was crazy as hell), and that were it.
but most of us mainly just fire M-4 (i hate this gun because it's so freaking loud and my ear hurts a lot after firing it.).
Old 2012-11-14, 23:24   Link #376
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

Actually, I never joined the military myself, but I do have a few friends that did .. and I just like guns. This may be nothing to you military folk, but man.. when I was in Vegas, firing a tripod mounted Browning 1919 was FANTASTICO!

Oh yeah, it's all fun and games until you have to clean them =_=

Quote:
which did you join? Navy, Marine or Army? and from past experience, i suggest not
going the Airborne school. it was not worth the extra $150 pay check...lol. i'm still shaking
from all of those jumps from the C-130 / C-140 military aircraft...gives me goosbumps.

Joined? Lol, I'm what they called 'forced-volunteered' Haha, that term always cracks me up...

I was sent to the Army's Combat Engineer Formation - CBRD Apparently the Government deemed me competent enough to be left handing dangerous substances

Ahh those were kinda fun times looking back... But only when looking back -_-;

Quote:
EDIT: @willx: the only guns i guess to fire during my service were M-16, M-4, .50 calibur machine gun (this gun was crazy as hell), and that were it.
but most of us mainly just fire M-4 (i hate this gun because it's so freaking loud and my ear hurts a lot after firing it.).
BANG! beeeeeep BANG! beeeeeep BANG! beeeeeep

Sounds something like that ?
Old 2012-11-14, 23:30   Link #377
Ridwan

A lot of people here often wonders why 1st world city state like Singapore has conscription, while a formerly military junta like us doesn't. Sometimes it becomes tricky to explain them that we ourselves being part of the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

My late grandfather was a veteran of both independence and civil wars, and was then assigned to govern Maluku province to deal with separatism (it was when Southern Moluccan terrorism was in its peak.)
Old 2012-11-14, 23:42   Link #378
Sumeragi
Banned

I believe that other parts with Singapore having conscription are

1) Malaysia: After all, where did Singapore secede from?
2) Multi-ethnic state: Nothing like the military to forge a single nation.
3) Statism: Let's face it, originally Singapore was nothing but a benevolent fascism-based state. What fascist state wouldn't have the military be engrained into the society as a whole?
Old 2012-11-14, 23:48   Link #379
Ridwan

We were pretty much fascist military regime ourselves. The difference is that we have much bigger manpool and a military institution developed in such way by history that it presented a fairly nice route for social mobility.

And we don't have as many potential security threats.
Old 2012-11-14, 23:52   Link #380
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Oh yeah, it's all fun and games until you have to clean them =_=

Joined? Lol, I'm what they called 'forced-volunteered' Haha, that term always cracks me up...

I was sent to the Army's Combat Engineer Formation - CBRD Apparently the Government deemed me competent enough to be left handing dangerous substances

Ahh those were kinda fun times looking back... But only when looking back -_-;

BANG! beeeeeep BANG! beeeeeep BANG! beeeeeep

Sounds something like that ?
lol, i guess we all have to go through all the same stuffs then. yeah, i really like
shooting the M-4 as well at the range, but cleaning and picking up the brasses
were definitely not fun.

i agree with you that part with fun times looking back. i can brag all i want like "i
already been there done that." but if someone ask if i want to go back and do all
those silly stuffs the military made me do again? no thanks, i wont come back there ever
again! lol. i like my life right now. i dont think i wanna go back there ever again.

Bang bang bang? yep, pretty much. lol. not to forget that one time when a brass fell onto
my hand. oh god, it BURNS!