AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-25, 14:49   Link #2481
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I personally felt that this filler episode lacked any tact. The thing about filler is that you really need somebody who loves the material their writing for, someone who can iminate the voice that adachi evokes. Here things were just very heavy, the one decent scene was when we look over the shoulder of akaishi and he's looking at kou with his head tilted toward the setting sun. This had some adaichi essence where as the nakanishi scene was decent but it just didn't feel like adachi, the characters have always been stoic and past their prime so even though she's retiring, I would have felt differently if the tone had been more in line with the series.
This might be my first Adachi experience but it just looks like you're looking way too much into this episode. In all honesty, this episode should just be taken for what it is. I believe someone said it already, this is "the calm before the storm."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
OH shit... next episode is gonna be good, miki, my favorite character not on seishu, seriously this guy is better than mishima, oikawa, or anyother characters adachi has written for this manga/anime. Also... the who azuma/sendo moment was just too cheesy, I know the animation studio is trying to show how azuma has changed, but even though he's the have fun play baseball type, I don't think he would have gone as far as to tell sendo how to bat, let alone a compliment.
I disagree, Azuma has made great strides as a character and has gone through a significant but subtle growth. Maybe if we were still at the point in the story where Azuma had just joined Seishu I would agree, but it's been some 2 years since then and he's gone through a lot in that time. I didn't see anything wrong with what Azuma said to "Sendo" () at least in my opinion.

As for Miki, I agree. I have respect for him and he's an intelligent baseball player from what I can remember about him.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 17:33   Link #2482
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
Ehhh is it not obvious They are both just really slow. Does admiration make you jealous? They don't have to be open about anything for the viewer to notice things. Even Azuma thinks so and Akane thinks there is something going on. And I know nothing will happen soon, I don't even know if anything will ever happen. It might just end like this...
Its more along the line that the romance is an afterthought since its a shounen orientated manga but to emphasis the point the baseball is priority and in most cases it might turn out to be like hikari no go where it only an icing that nothing more than a flimsy fan wish. However I would like to point that from my perspective kou sees aobo as an inspiration that motivates him to play baseball while Aoba shows the hidden romantic from that admiration, i felt like call her tsundere. I get that vibe that aoba is love with kou but I'm have trouble seeing Kou caring more for aoba than childhood friends.

Not to say it can't happen but im a person that looks at evidence present in both the anime and manga. I can't seem to recall many instance where Kou does something unusually outside but at best would be kou buying a shirt for aoba at that market.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:01   Link #2483
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Its more along the line that the romance is an afterthought since its a shounen orientated manga but to emphasis the point the baseball is priority
I would beg to disagree here, given that the baseball is almost like the afterthought of the series, given the quantity of episodes that is dedicated to actual baseball matches compared to that which is dedicated to character development.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:10   Link #2484
Theowne
耳をすませば

Yeah, I really don't see how anyone could say that baseball is the priority in Cross Game. Maybe with some of Adachi's earlier stuff (aka Touch) you could make an argument about balance, but on the whole, actual baseball drama has played a fairly minimal role here. And the romantic subplots in particular are definitely prominent enough that I really don't think it's just fan-interpretations.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:15   Link #2485
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I think the only time the sport plotlines were actually focused on way more than the romance ones - at least in one of Adachi's series I know of - was actually in H2. And we all know how well that turned out for some people, right?

I think this is jus fine as it is, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:42   Link #2486
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, no doubt in my mind that baseball has the supporting role here - the personal drama (it really can't be called "romance" based on what we've seen so far) is the featured star. And that's how I like it - with a story this good and characters like Kou and Aoba, their story should be in the center of things.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:42   Link #2487
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

I have no problem with the slower pace but I don't understand the logic of slowing down now after such a crazy episode the week before. I would either have done it the other way around (and given what is discussed in #42, it was possible to show this episode last week) or balanced out the important events in between the two episodes.

I had no problem with the "Sendo" scene but I agree that the trademarked Adachi subtlety™ was missing at times, especially with the Akane flashback hammering down the idea that hey she is feeling weak and you might remember she mentioned she had a weak body last week so it all makes sense AMAIRITE? On the other hand, I thought it was clever to give a personal reason for Nakanishi to reach Kōshien.

I am only nitpicking, though. I am having a great time every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
It was hinted at before.
Spoiler for preview:
Indeed you guessed correctly. I didn't want to delve too much into that topic but...

edit: spoiler removed by Mod

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-01-26 at 02:29. Reason: future manga spoilers or comparisons, even if minors, are not allowed here
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 20:10   Link #2488
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you have to write that spoiler tag, you ought to seriously consider whether the post belongs here at all...
Old 2010-01-25, 20:18   Link #2489
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I would beg to disagree here, given that the baseball is almost like the afterthought of the series, given the quantity of episodes that is dedicated to actual baseball matches compared to that which is dedicated to character development.
to me the baseball plot or rather the goal to koshien is more poignant than the romance which I still believed as a support or an afterthought, it is probably my fault for using baseball as an over arcing term trying to encompass the entire development of cross game as a single plot but yes you are correct in saying it is more about that interpersonal relationship which is what I was aiming for using the koshien path to weave a story. Depends on what people consider the main dish here. A team competitive strives to koshien and their character growths are all part of the same plot. The romance is secondary or minor there is no denying there.

@Guardian Enzo

The spoiler in regards to The Rumblefish post is rather minute and at best only hints at nothing more than whats already shown in the series. It just sounded serious with the warning.
Old 2010-01-25, 20:23   Link #2490
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Not for you, perhaps. For me, on the other hand, it's exactly the other way around...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 20:32   Link #2491
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
@Guardian Enzo

The spoiler in regards to The Rumblefish post is rather minute and at best only hints at nothing more than whats already shown in the series. It just sounded serious with the warning.
Thanks (I didn't read it anyway). I just figure that when it comes to manga spoilage, one should always err on the side of caution.
Old 2010-01-25, 20:33   Link #2492
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemuru View Post
to me the baseball plot or rather the goal to koshien is more poignant than the romance which I still believed as a support or an afterthought, it is probably my fault for using baseball as an over arcing term trying to encompass the entire development of cross game as a single plot but yes you are correct in saying it is more about that interpersonal relationship which is what I was aiming for using the koshien path to weave a story. Depends on what people consider the main dish here. A team competitive strives to koshien and their character growths are all part of the same plot. The romance is secondary or minor there is no denying there.
I do agree that this can be argued either way but the anime in itself has been throwing romantic suggestions around throughout the series so I do think that the romance isn't exactly an "afterthought" as you put it, but rather a very significant part of this series. Nakanishi has a girlfriend, Momiji has a boyfriend, Ichi-nee is about to get married and Aoba is the only one left between the sisters without a significant other. Although you can make a case for Kou about his interest towards Aoba, there is still an interest there and it's been hinted before.

I mean, the whole 160 km fastball was just mentioned this past episode and that has to do with the type of guy Aoba would date, and the only person that I can think of with the ability to reach that velocity is none other than one of the main protagonists, Kou. I agree that the romance isn't prominent but it certainly isn't merely an afterthought, it's as subtle as Adachi's style.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-25, 20:45   Link #2493
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I am a little concerned about pacing as we've got only nine more episodes to go. The baseball tournament will have to cover at least three or maybe four to give it the weight it deserves in the story. We've been waiting for this event to happen for months now. Also I'm still not certain whether Aoba will join the other ladies or not. She keeps saying no, but I think her natural competitiveness might make her change her mind. You could see the glimmerings of that decision in her face-off with Ozaki-san. If she does join the Japanese women's team, they'd need at least two episodes to cover that.

My earlier concern about pacing remains. I don't want to see all the interpersonal relationships get resolved in a rush during just the last episode or two.

I also didn't think it was particularly out of character for Azuma to make suggestions to Senda about his batting style. As someone else said, Azuma wants to win at Koshien, so having a reliable lead-off hitter will be important. I think this exchange also shows what an excellent judge of character Azuma is. He understands that Senda's natural tendency to show off makes him want to swing for the fences, exactly the wrong motivation for a lead-off hitter. Overall I think Azuma might be my favorite character of all.

As for Kou, that glance he cast at Akaishi (tnx, Theowne) and Akane, and his later observation of Aoba surrounded by her harem, seemed to me to indicate the beginnings of some resolution about his feelings. I thought he seemed rather happy to give his blessing to Akaishi and Akane and a bit jealous of the attention Aoba was drawing from those other boys.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2010-01-25 at 20:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 20:50   Link #2494
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I do agree that this can be argued either way but the anime in itself has been throwing romantic suggestions around throughout the series so I do think that the romance isn't exactly an "afterthought" as you put it, but rather a very significant part of this series. Nakanishi has a girlfriend, Momiji has a boyfriend, Ichi-nee is about to get married and Aoba is the only one left between the sisters without a significant other. Although you can make a case for Kou about his interest towards Aoba, there is still an interest there and it's been hinted before.

I mean, the whole 160 km fastball was just mentioned this past episode and that has to do with the type of guy Aoba would date, and the only person that I can think of with the ability to reach that velocity is none other than one of the main protagonists, Kou. I agree that the romance isn't prominent but it certainly isn't merely an afterthought, it's as subtle as Adachi's style.
I still find it hard to take those example as classification of romance since its part of growing up. The intergration of marriage or momiji getting a boyfriend are as natural as kids playing in a playground that it doesn't strike me as something significant or out of the ordinary. However I do see the 160km pitch being something of a higher degree as its establish a base for two characters to get together.
Old 2010-01-25, 20:53   Link #2495
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As for Kou, that glance he cast at Adaichi
I think you mean Akaishi, unless Kou has entered our dimension

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 21:04   Link #2496
Nosauz

Baseball is never really the focus of Cross Game, it's there as more of a way to unite the characters in the manner that Adachi wants, as others have mentioned, the only real series that adachi uses baseball as the main plot line is H2, where as baseball here is used to show the nuances of the players and people surrounding kou. Of course in the anime with all the female baseball stuff which has zero subtlety, just look at the batting scene between fatty and the batting scene between midori, the scene just screams awkward and lacks Adachi's subtle hand. So of course with these kinds of episodes yes baseball feels extremely important, but in the manga and in most of the episodes, baseball is more of a tool to develop the characters, we discover a lot about kou through baseball, his work ethic, his confidence, his love for aoba, his aspirations, his motivations. Baseball is the harmony whereas the relationships play the melody, and of course when you have sudden key changes the score can sound off but still it's obvious what parts are the melody and what parts are harmony.

Well on the comment about the abrupt nature of this series, from experience with other adachi works, it seems like he'd wrap this up in one episode, probably have new op and ed so that they can have more animation time, and in all honesty I don't see how their gonna fit in all the

edit: removed by Mod

Last edited by Pellissier; 2010-01-26 at 02:29. Reason: spoilerish comments or "deductions" are a no-no
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 21:07   Link #2497
Nemuru

you want to edit that for spoilers Nosauz!!!! if you're going to make speculative comments do so with the implied words in front if not you're being quite inconsiderate to others.
Old 2010-01-26, 01:03   Link #2498
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

I forgot this week's ep was a filler/anime original. It is a pretty good one at that. Definitely enjoyed the material in it and the music too. Though I can definitely understand why people are worrying about how Cross Game is going to end with only 9 episodes left (I think 51 is the assumption here). While Kou x Aoba is not really developed in this episode, it was nice to see Akaishi walking Akane home (which a big thing for him), Junpei-Ichiyo's date/meeting parents, and even the exchange between Aoba and Ozaki. I thought it is a nice addition of fleshing out the general story even further. ED4 is growing on me... As usual you can find my synopsis & review with pics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
On a side note: if anyone wants a new CG sign, I made a very simple one about two great men standing in the rain.

That's a good scene. Good job on it. I will use it thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
Besides the romantic triangle, there was room for him [Mizuki] as either the "I hate baseball" foil or the "awkward teenager surrounded by girls in a house" character. Yet none of that happened, with the exception of a few throwaway joke panels to remind us he exists. Since Mizuki has been around Kō and Aoba for a while, Adachi could have made him an interesting achor to the past constantly reminding them of their childhood antics when they "despised" each other; he could have also tried to maintain that explosive relationship between them via absurd schemes. Much more could have been done with Mizuki.
Agreed, I think his role has lessened into just another one of Aoba's hopeful suitors. That is not to say he is completely useless, I believe he continues to serve a purpose to push Kou into realizing and acting on his feelings for Aoba. Might not be much of a rival though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My biggest fear after 42 is that we're headed for some sort of tear-jerker arc with Akane, and I really hope that's not the case. That would be quite the red herring and an unfortunate distraction. Perhaps I'm reading too much into those little hints in 42.
Good point; it has me worried too if that will affect anything... (why bring up the fact that Akane is getting sick?), personally I hope it's nothing too (just watching the anime right now, so not sure either)

Let's go Kou - ask Aoba out!!! <--- What does Azuma/Mizuki/all aoba's suitors have to do to make him do this? Maybe he is just waiting till he can fulfill Waka's dreams? or when Waka's gift guide is complete??

Last edited by HitagiIsHot; 2010-01-26 at 02:22.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 01:54   Link #2499
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitagiIsHot View Post
Let's go Kou - ask Aoba out!!! <--- What does Azuma/Mizuki/all aoba's suitors have to do to make him do this? Maybe he is just waiting till he can fulfill Waka's dreams? or when Waka's gift guide is complete??
Or maybe Kou is waiting to accomplish the 160 km mark

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-01-26, 02:06   Link #2500
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Good point that too
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports