AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2007-01-13, 12:52   Link #41
Ryuujin

It's simple:

named ANBU- awesome
nameless ANBU- fodder

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 13:24   Link #42
Ichimaru

anbu = footsoldiers in ninja turtles...
Ichimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 14:30   Link #43
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi

Wow. People think they suck. I think they rock. Exactly where has the ANBU failed?

1)sarutobi's fight with oro. Neither sarutobi nor oro could break that shield. Can you blame the anbu for not being able to? I will say that in deed they let the sound 4/ oro escape, but remember they did have to attend to the dead 3rd hokage

2)invasion of konoha... even sarutobi with his crystal ball couldn't forsee that entirely

3)protecting sasuke from kabuto. I looked at the chapter this morning. There was hardly any blood (if zero at all) in the room where the anbu where killed. There was even one lying across the door into the room sort of reaching towards kabuto. I suspect a dirty method like a poison. i don't think kabuto actually beat those guys in battle. Simply put, the room was just too clean...

4) sound 4 being able to abduct with sasuke in the middle of the night. That one I think is just a plot device. Can't have the anbu ruin that by interfering.

5) anbu not eliminating akatsuki. Blame tsunade for that one. ANBU are designed for eliminating S rank ninja. They're 4 man teams designed for that purpose. Why tsunade isn't using them and instead is sending the likes of shika and chouji (chouji??!!!) is beyond me. For this one I say PLOT DEVICE.

Other than that, i can't think of any major anbu failures. Judging from past anbu members and anbu leaders (ie kakashi, yamato, jiraiya, zabuza, itachi, danzo) I'd like to think they were very good. Also I'mnot sure if this is in the manga, but in the anime when anko said oro was in the forest only 4 anbu squads were to be dispatched to deal with him. Also I'm not sure if this is in the manga, but in the anime gai during the initial invasion of konoha states absolutely clearly that the ANBU are supposed to be the best. The two examples I stated in the anime are 100 percent true,but I'm not sure if they are in the manga. Anyway toodles.
Suna no tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 16:20   Link #44
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Well, it's not so much that they suck, it's just that they are never shown doing anything worthwhile. It's true that a lot of the time they are shown in situations beyond anyone's control, anything they do accomplish isn't ever shown in the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suna no Tate
1)sarutobi's fight with oro. Neither sarutobi nor oro could break that shield. Can you blame the anbu for not being able to? I will say that in deed they let the sound 4/ oro escape, but remember they did have to attend to the dead 3rd hokage
Yeah, there was nothing they could really do but sit and wait. But had they participated in the battle though, I think things would've turned out more or less the same. Oro just would've used the 1st and 2nd to wipe them out at the beginning of the fight before concentrating on Sarutobi. We saw in the 3rd's flashback how good ANBU backup was against Oro (two ANBU were instantly taken out by Oro's justu)

Quote:
2)invasion of konoha... even sarutobi with his crystal ball couldn't forsee that entirely
Nope, no one saw that coming. However, Kakashi, Gai, Asuma and the genin's parents are all shown taking out Sand and Sound nin. Various other Konoha nin are shown defending the village. Iruka takes the academy students to safety, Jiraiya defeats Oro's snakes. ANBU is shown not really doing anything except getting killed by Kabuto and arriving too late to help the 3rd. Once again, this isn't really an fault on ANBU's part. It's just that all the heroic stuff is reserved for the main and secondary characters.

Quote:
3)protecting sasuke from kabuto. I looked at the chapter this morning. There was hardly any blood (if zero at all) in the room where the anbu where killed. There was even one lying across the door into the room sort of reaching towards kabuto. I suspect a dirty method like a poison. i don't think kabuto actually beat those guys in battle. Simply put, the room was just too clean...
Don't forget, Kabuto has the ability to cut vital arteries and organs without breaking clothing or skin.

Quote:
5) anbu not eliminating akatsuki. Blame tsunade for that one. ANBU are designed for eliminating S rank ninja. They're 4 man teams designed for that purpose. Why tsunade isn't using them and instead is sending the likes of shika and chouji (chouji??!!!) is beyond me. For this one I say PLOT DEVICE.
Oh, it's definitely a plot device. But it wasn't Tsunade's intention to send out Shikamaru, Chouji and Ino after Akatsuki. They chose to go out themselves and said that they would with or without Tsunade's permission, then Kakashi convinced Tsunade that she should just let them go. But of couse, if any ANBU ninja were sent out after Akatsuki, they would've been sorely beaten and probably killed. That's because all the Akatsuki victories are reserved for the main characters. No one in Akatsuki will be beat by no-name ninja, no matter how skilled they are, like you said a plot device. But now we know through Yamato and Sai that ANBU ninja can also operate as regular ninja and be assigned to normal ninja teams. So we don't know how many of the ninja Tsunade sent out were actually ANBU operatives.

Quote:
Other than that, i can't think of any major anbu failures. Judging from past anbu members and anbu leaders (ie kakashi, yamato, jiraiya, zabuza, itachi, danzo) I'd like to think they were very good. Also I'mnot sure if this is in the manga, but in the anime when anko said oro was in the forest only 4 anbu squads were to be dispatched to deal with him. Also I'm not sure if this is in the manga, but in the anime gai during the initial invasion of konoha states absolutely clearly that the ANBU are supposed to be the best. The two examples I stated in the anime are 100 percent true,but I'm not sure if they are in the manga. Anyway toodles.
Anko also seemed to think she had a chance fighting Oro by herself. Still, 4 squads is a lot of ninja. That means they thought it would take 16 ANBU ninja to track and take down one S-class enemy. I don't ever remember Gai ever saying referring to ANBU as the best but he probably did. ANBU are hyped up as elite ninja, and as Hunter said, are used as a measuring stick to show how powerful the villains are. Once you recognize the role of ANBU in the story, you realize that it's unlikely we'll ever see ANBU triumph over any major villain as a group.
Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:55   Link #45
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi

Yeah you're absolutely right. Like I said, it'd be weird if the ANBU interfered with sasuke's escape. They beat up the sound 4, and drag sasuke by the collar back to konoha. Its a real plot killer you know. Though I think it'd be humourous to see sasuke try and explain to sakura why knocked her out.

Its interesting that so many of the top nin's we've seen have had stints in the ANBU. I mean jiraiya?! With his personality? Jiraiya as an assassin? Get out of here. I'd like to think that personality goes into ANBU selections. Sai is pretty cold and dark; he has anbu written all over him. But what about Gai? Could he have been ex ANBU? What about naruto? Could he ever take a brief role in that? Those two are such loudmouths!

About S class ninjas, I don't know. I sort of believe that even Asuma would be listed as s class in the bingo book, yet we know he's not that tough. S class is pretty broad and still Orochimaru I think is probably the number 3 most dangerous nin we've seen. Anyway, its possible that saying at least 4 should be dispatched would be required not for the actual contact with orochimaru but simply for the actual finding of him in the forest. Remember the statements Anko made about the forest of death when gaara and his squad arrived? Its not an easy place to travel and find stuff even for a jounin. 4 squads to search for him but only one squad to take him out? Its not unthinkable...
Old 2007-01-13, 18:38   Link #46
zamme
Wandering Prophet

Send a message via MSN to zamme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
Besides (my avatar) was a great moment ....within that war ANBU succesfully defended the feudal lords...(you didnt hear anything about that )
Yeah, really impressive since the Feudal lords werent even targeted. The goal was to take out the village, not cripple the country.
zamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:31   Link #47
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Though I can picture Jiraiya as an Anbu I just can picture Gai as an Anbu . His skills are top notch not that :-

- Did Gai Make any Changes to Anbu Uniform ? - shudders -

- What mask did Gai use ? - more shudder -

Btw What are those animal masks specifically called ?
Old 2007-01-14, 18:56   Link #48
Mr. Johnny 5
Konoha's ANBU

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamme View Post
Yeah, really impressive since the Feudal lords werent even targeted. The goal was to take out the village, not cripple the country.
Which makes me wonder...why the hell were the enemy shinobi looking for villagers? Everyone was a target...if they could've taken out the Fire Country's Feudal Lord....then they would've done so. In times of war no one is spared...especially not the leaders..

Jiraiya was a former ANBU but Gai...hah...i doubt that he was always wearing that green turtle outfit..
Old 2007-01-14, 19:19   Link #49
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to 0TaKu0 Send a message via MSN to 0TaKu0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Johnny 5 View Post
Which makes me wonder...why the hell were the enemy shinobi looking for villagers? Everyone was a target...if they could've taken out the Fire Country's Feudal Lord....then they would've done so. In times of war no one is spared...especially not the leaders..

Jiraiya was a former ANBU but Gai...hah...i doubt that he was always wearing that green turtle outfit..
Well, your forgetting that the orders were not directly from the Kazekage, meaning it was Orochimaru pretending to be the Kazekage, and he ordered the Sand Shinobi as he saw fit due to his ambitions, and hateful/vengeful attitude toward Konoha.
Old 2007-01-14, 22:58   Link #50
Sogoro
Desu

All the good Anbu are always out on the so called S Rank Missions...Its always a convent time for ANBU to be out on a mission when Naruto gets a mission that should normally be for ANBU...
Sogoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 00:33   Link #51
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0TaKu0 View Post
Well, your forgetting that the orders were not directly from the Kazekage, meaning it was Orochimaru pretending to be the Kazekage, and he ordered the Sand Shinobi as he saw fit due to his ambitions, and hateful/vengeful attitude toward Konoha.
And you are seriously overestimating the knowlegde kohona had at the moment of the attack... Kohona was not certain orochimaru was behind it all until he revealed himself... all they could gather was, first the sand ninjas were attacks, and sounded they sound was helping them. By all means it was impossible to figure out their exact goals at the begining of the attack

Considering their high level of importance, the fuedal lords MUST be given some kind of protection during such an event... especially since some attacks like those done by the giant snakes (which we actually summoned by the sand not oro) were rather indiscriminate of their targets... Even when not targeted, All it takes is one stray shuriken, or one big jutsu to not even accidently kill them. And the fuedal lords were indeed a very possible target for the sand ninjas, afterall, who do you think are the ones you support kohona finacially? Take out the lords and then even if you loose the battle you can atleast make them weaker in the long run... not to mention the remaining lords could loose serious faith in kohona...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-15, 20:00   Link #52
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi

Actually to be sure, I don't really know what the ANBU do. Do they stay and protect the village all the time? Or do they go out on missions and are never home? And what kind of missions do they go out on seeing as konoha was in peacetime? Certainly not assassinations that would cause wars?
Old 2007-01-15, 20:45   Link #53
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suna no tate View Post
Actually to be sure, I don't really know what the ANBU do. Do they stay and protect the village all the time? Or do they go out on missions and are never home? And what kind of missions do they go out on seeing as konoha was in peacetime? Certainly not assassinations that would cause wars?
Assassinations is one thing they do. They also are sent to engage S-class nins and act as the Hokage's personal bodyguards. But they are a covert ops group that does handle situations like assassinations. That's why their true identities are a closely guarded secret and they don't wear forehead protectors.
Old 2007-01-16, 17:03   Link #54
Suna no tate
Akatsuki Bart is Tobi

I don't see the advantage of hiding the ANBU ninjas faces. Who are they hiding them from and why? Think about it like this. If konoha ANBU assassinate someone, the retaliation will be against konoha. If a konoha anbu is captured and his mask is revealed to the enemy so what? He has the big konoha head protector so its not like people can't tell where he's from. I'm going to come out and say it. The only reasons they wear the masks are:
1) they're cool
2) they're symbolic (of being faceless assassins)

I don't think protecting the ANBU ninja's identities is really of any concern to konoha.
Old 2007-01-16, 17:57   Link #55
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suna no tate View Post
I don't see the advantage of hiding the ANBU ninjas faces. Who are they hiding them from and why? Think about it like this. If konoha ANBU assassinate someone, the retaliation will be against konoha. If a konoha anbu is captured and his mask is revealed to the enemy so what? He has the big konoha head protector so its not like people can't tell where he's from. I'm going to come out and say it. The only reasons they wear the masks are:
1) they're cool
2) they're symbolic (of being faceless assassins)

I don't think protecting the ANBU ninja's identities is really of any concern to konoha.
It's a huge concern. That's why Yamato and Sai operate under false names when they are on non-ANBU missions. That's why Oro and Kabuto were so interested in getting the identities of ANBU operatives from Danzou. ANBU don't wear forehead protectors under masks or on any other part of their bodies so they can't as easily identified. But all the secrecy is just as much to keep their identities secret from the general public of Konoha as it is from enemies. Compare it to the FBI and CIA where agents sometimes have false names and occupations. Their true identities are only supposed to be known within the organization.

The tatoos though, that's just being cool, I think. Though it might be a special seal. Who knows?
Old 2007-01-16, 19:06   Link #56
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
It's a huge concern. That's why Yamato and Sai operate under false names when they are on non-ANBU missions. That's why Oro and Kabuto were so interested in getting the identities of ANBU operatives from Danzou. ANBU don't wear forehead protectors under masks or on any other part of their bodies so they can't as easily identified. But all the secrecy is just as much to keep their identities secret from the general public of Konoha as it is from enemies. Compare it to the FBI and CIA where agents sometimes have false names and occupations. Their true identities are only supposed to be known within the organization.

The tatoos though, that's just being cool, I think. Though it might be a special seal. Who knows?
Maybe they don't reveal their faces because the ANBU could also do Espionage and works as insiders on other villages, instead of using Henge to disguise themselves (which heres a possibility to be sense and waste Chakra) they keep their identedy secret and thats it.

Yamato even called kakashi attention in not calling him by his real name, So its seems ANBU's Identities are a very important secret. .
Old 2007-01-16, 19:20   Link #57
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Maybe they don't reveal their faces because the ANBU could also do Espionage and works as insiders on other villages, instead of using Henge to disguise themselves (which heres a possibility to be sense and waste Chakra) they keep their identedy secret and thats it.

Yamato even called kakashi attention in not calling him by his real name, So its seems ANBU's Identities are a very important secret. .
Yet when Itachi was suspected of murder, his status of ANBU member didn't look like such a secret.
Hayate's lover didn't wear his mask until it was time for the counterstrike during Konoha's invasion. (unless she only removed it to pray, that's not clear).
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 19:25   Link #58
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Yet when Itachi was suspected of murder, his status of ANBU member didn't look like such a secret.
Hayate's lover didn't wear his mask until it was time for the counterstrike during Konoha's invasion. (unless she only removed it to pray, that's not clear).
Given the people who knew about it (The Konoha Military Police and his family), we need to wonder the extent of his status as an ANBU been known.

Hayates lover only appeared Without Mask in moment where she was surrounded by other ANBUs.

Last edited by Rurik; 2007-01-16 at 20:21.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 20:05   Link #59
naruto89

do you think any of the rookie nine or team gai willl end up in the anbu, i think shikamaru is a sure choice
naruto89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-16, 23:13   Link #60
IVIavrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto89 View Post
do you think any of the rookie nine or team gai willl end up in the anbu, i think shikamaru is a sure choice
Shikamaru wouldn't really be a good person to send out on assassination missions... he only has Kagemane, Shurikan Kagemane, and Kage...strangulation(forgot the name) the last of which he requires greater chakra than his opponent. The only real way he could kill someone with greater chakra is by controlling them near a cliff and walking them backwards or something...

Sasuke would have been an excellent ANBU member, what with Sharingan and Chidori, a technique designed for assassinations.

As for anyone else...

I'd have to say Shino would make a good ANBU. He is intelligent, cool-headed, secretive, powerful, has the ability to scout, surprising, and already has the mysterious thing going on.

Eh.. really the only one I am seeing..
IVIavrick is offline   Reply With Quote