AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-02, 15:26   Link #2861
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The narrator is the main villain? What a twist! No, really, I jumped out of my seat when I heard his voice. I'm guessing he's from that mysterious galactic empire (?) we heard about early in the series. That would explain the gap in technology. They may have gotten tired of waiting for Pirates to die on their own and decided to exterminate them. I was amazed to find out there were still sixty pirate fleets around, I thought there were a lot less than that left.

The next episodes ought to be very interesting. It feels weird to see this show become so serious all of a sudden. I had assumed it would stick to slice of life in space to the very end.
Old 2012-06-02, 15:40   Link #2862
Theo

I have no idea why the characters refuse to acknowledge or even mention death. These ships clearly explode yet the crew just say "damage unknown" or "gone silent".

Dude, they're fuckin' DEAD.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 15:40   Link #2863
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Looks a little like the Full Metal Panic designs. More realism in that the ten year old actually looks ten instead of like a kindergartner, and teenagers look like young adults.
The manga adaption is drawn by Touge Hiro, who is also drawing Maoyuu Maou Yuusha - Other Side of the Hill, one of five manga adaptions based on the Maoyuu Maou Yuusha(The Demon Queen and the Hero) light novels.
Old 2012-06-02, 16:39   Link #2864
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Spoiler for Generic nerdrage, probably:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 17:46   Link #2865
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Those are 2 huge enemy ships. Kane seems to be keeping something from the rest of the crew.
Old 2012-06-02, 17:58   Link #2866
00Coyote

And so the big bad(s?) appear.

Spoiler for pirate hunting:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 19:39   Link #2867
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Spoiler for ep22:
Well I'll be. Never'd think someone would hand me the winner from the get go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm guessing the next few episodes will give you more that enough ship ideas.
Its filling up alright. I was thinking of something twice the length of Bentenmaru, dual secondary hulls and rocket nacelles. The saucer cargo bay would have to have one set of doors in and another set out so that loading and unloading can take place simultaneously. The entire craft must be able to land should the saucer not be able to separate from the star drive. That means this ship would appear somewhat aerodynamic.

And yet, there's a ship which already has all that:

This shall be the Imperial Star Ship Fairy Jane then.
Old 2012-06-02, 19:40   Link #2868
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

That... was rather disappointing.

The first half was pretty nice; a good mix of mystery and slice of life, more background information of the Mouretsu universe. The gradual leaking of information about the pirate hunters to Gruelle and Rin was well done and helped build the atmosphere.

And then they blew it in the latter half. I'm not sure if it's due to the acting, BGM, or directing in general, but I lost all the tension built up. Or maybe it's because of the the pirate hunter ship (with needless zig-zagging) or the new-comer ship (with Cap'n Harlock) that broke through my suspension of disbelief barrier. It was supposed to be serious, but didn't feel like it. Marika seemed worried, but I thought it was out of character for her to be so un-concerning of Big Catch's crew.

I like the idea of pirate hunters so I'm keeping my hopes up, but I hope the staff delivers better next week.
Old 2012-06-02, 19:41   Link #2869
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
And so the big bad(s?) appear.

Spoiler for pirate hunting:
Gravity base drive can bend the rules i.e. it can reduce the object's mass relative to real space.

In Star Trek, you can have ~150m x ~150m box (i.e. USS Defiant) or 440m x 470m (i.e. USS Phoenix, tactical type Nebula Class) box capital starship moving like a fighter.

Last edited by encia; 2012-06-02 at 20:00.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 19:46   Link #2870
Theo

Marika had opportunities to poke around when she discovered her father's secret UI but sure as hell doesn't seem interested enough. It's not like they're trying to keep her in the dark; she just never seemed interested enough to ask. She even did a Space Google search for pirates back in the first ep, yet doesn't know much about pirates now even with the information so publicly available.
Old 2012-06-02, 20:04   Link #2871
Texas84
よろしく

Did my silly Saturday fun just get serious?
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 20:12   Link #2872
Algent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas84 View Post
Did my silly Saturday fun just get serious?
Well, a trans-am rotating (magnet power ? or maybe cat+butter would explain the rotation) spaceship and a guy in a gay outfit without helmet on top of a tank-like spaceship.... you call that serious ?

Seriously these 2 things got me past the "wtf" mode directly into the "did I just saw something like that in that show"
Algent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 20:23   Link #2873
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
From the next episode preview it seems the guy isn't literally on top the ship,looks like it's a hologram.
Old 2012-06-02, 20:24   Link #2874
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well as you can see here (from many many pages ago), that is what Chiaki looks like in the Light Novels:

This would be a good fit, except for two things:
- Hair should be black (or blue) instead of lame brown
- Ugly granny blouse in ugly granny colour. Yuck. Wear a school uniform!
Old 2012-06-02, 20:28   Link #2875
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Marika had opportunities to poke around when she discovered her father's secret UI but sure as hell doesn't seem interested enough. It's not like they're trying to keep her in the dark; she just never seemed interested enough to ask. She even did a Space Google search for pirates back in the first ep, yet doesn't know much about pirates now even with the information so publicly available.
There's probably a vast difference between the public face of the pirates, and what goes on behind the scenes. Even in her father's log book/notes I really doubt there is one file that summarizes the intricate web of tangled alliances, betrayals and powers that exist in the shadows. What information there is, is probably scattered across hundreds of entries, written in a personal style that assumes the reader is intimately familiar with the subject.

Marika's problem isn't lack of information, between the Bentenmaru's log, the info Lynn provide as payment, and her father's log book, she has more data than she can hope to sift through in her hectic life. Given enough uninterrupted time, she has the dedication and intuition to sort through, and make heads or tails of the whole mess, but time is something Marika is always short on. Misa, Kane, and Ririka know a great deal about the workings of the underworld, but they are being very tight lipped about everything that is happening. So they leave Marika so far in the dark she has to ask elementary questions like 'How many Pirates are still active?'
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:12   Link #2876
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
that pirate hunting ship is a total nightmare fuel when it reveals its 'face'
& by the way, they should play this when that kamen rider & his ship appeared out of nowhere
http://youtu.be/
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:23   Link #2877
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
There's probably a vast difference between the public face of the pirates, and what goes on behind the scenes. Even in her father's log book/notes I really doubt there is one file that summarizes the intricate web of tangled alliances, betrayals and powers that exist in the shadows. What information there is, is probably scattered across hundreds of entries, written in a personal style that assumes the reader is intimately familiar with the subject.

Marika's problem isn't lack of information, between the Bentenmaru's log, the info Lynn provide as payment, and her father's log book, she has more data than she can hope to sift through in her hectic life. Given enough uninterrupted time, she has the dedication and intuition to sort through, and make heads or tails of the whole mess, but time is something Marika is always short on. Misa, Kane, and Ririka know a great deal about the workings of the underworld, but they are being very tight lipped about everything that is happening. So they leave Marika so far in the dark she has to ask elementary questions like 'How many Pirates are still active?'
She didn't display this curiosity with her mother, who she had a LOT of time with even after her license. She never asked Ririka about pirate politics or history. All the evidence points towards Marika being passionate towards her position, ordering her crew around, and missions, but not about the history or politics involved until its of immediate importance. If there were scenes of her inquisitively asking about these things with her being shot down or diverted, then yes I would agree, but we don't see that anywhere.

And it even seems contradictory to that scene where Misa teaches her the history of the I-War back in ep 6, yet she's "tight-lipped" about how many pirates are left?

For the sake of less keystrokes, I'll be calling those guys "anti-pirates" now.

Last edited by Theo; 2012-06-02 at 21:44.
Old 2012-06-02, 21:51   Link #2878
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Spoiler for Generic nerdrage, probably:
Well... I'm a little wary. I don't want to start screaming that the sky is falling yet, but I did sort of get a One Piece vibe. And not the good One Piece, the filler One Piece. (Reviving the "Pirate Council"?)

But it's really early to be worrying, so I'm just gonna go along for the ride and trust that since the last 21 episodes were good, this arc will be too.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:54   Link #2879
Kyuu
=^^=

That's so not fair dumping the Yacht Club onto Marika. So not fair.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 21:57   Link #2880
ReddyRedWolf

Is it just me or are they raising flags between Kane and Marika?

Oi Oi Did Marika's ass was saved by a mysterious masked man?!

Potential love triangle along with the genre shift? Maybe I'm hoping too much.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri