AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-03-21, 12:51   Link #101
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hikaru no Go was actually driven at getting people interested in Go, and as such guided the viewer through Hikaru ordeals, from learning the basics of the game to steadily leveling up, including a Go Tutoring session at the end of each episode. This one just uses Mahjong as a story ploy without caring to explain how Mahjong works, which is the same case with Shion no Oh. (which is one of the reasons I consider Hikaru no Go to be much superior to the other two, among other reasons like Hikaru no Go being much more believable in terms of Hikaru ad his companions strength and their learning rate.)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 14:04   Link #102
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

That's also true. I guess I was talking about myself, seeing how Saki sparked my interest in Mahjong.
Old 2009-03-21, 16:21   Link #103
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
After reading to vol.4, I can safely say that this show is loli heaven.
That volume 2 cover for the manga is (*´Д`)ハァハァ

einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 16:25   Link #104
bayoab

Quote:
Hopefully this will draw people's interest in Mahjong, just like how Hikaru no Go has done.
I doubt it will. Akagi didn't seem to draw much interest and Akagi had much more of an explanation than this one ever does. This one even requires understanding the scoring system.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 19:34   Link #105
Falkor

If you are trying to learn mahjong, I strongly suggest that you play an actual game with other people. Playing mahjong on the computer or against the computer is not really the same. I haven't played mahjong in 4 years (it's time consuming in my case), but I must say that nothing can be more fun or entertaining than playing the game itself--it's surprisingly addictive once you get the hang of it.

I'm not sure of this fact, but from my personal observation, I get the impression that mahjong is already a popular game--at least in China, where my family1 comes from (I haven't been in China, though). On the other hand, I don't think this show is going to increase the interest in the game because, well, if you look at the manga, it has no intentions of "promoting" mahjong, as opposed to: "assuming" that you already know how to play so you can follow the story along those lines. However, this shouldn't be an impediment to enjoy this anime because of the other selling point...

And yeah, I think there are going to be more yuri undertones than lolis in this show... :P
1. my whole family knows how to play mahjong, even grandma does...
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 19:55   Link #106
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Saki has been picked up for Crunchyroll streaming. Being that it is Gonzo, it might be available on Youtube too like their other projects.
Terrible news.
Also, DAT COVER.
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-21, 22:17   Link #107
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash002 View Post
Terrible news.
Also, DAT COVER.
Being able to watch anime legally, legitimately, with officially accurate translations, and the same day it's broadcast in Japan is bad news?

If you want to download the show illegally, people will still be putting it up on torrents. And if it's like Druaga and Strike Witches etc (following the Gonzo trend), there'll be legal downloads too.

Also, NOPAN?! FROM SUCH A HEIGHT?!
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 01:39   Link #108
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~

Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
accurate part is a little bit far stretched I believe, given my impression over the brief look I had with Pantsu Witches.

While this show may draw people into playing more Mah Jong, It will nothing to teach with to do so. As I stated before, I'll look at this show as a Mahou Shoujo series given all the ultimate moves that the some of the cast seems to have...
Darco_emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-22, 23:51   Link #109
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
If you are trying to learn mahjong, I strongly suggest that you play an actual game with other people. Playing mahjong on the computer or against the computer is not really the same. I haven't played mahjong in 4 years (it's time consuming in my case), but I must say that nothing can be more fun or entertaining than playing the game itself--it's surprisingly addictive once you get the hang of it.

I'm not sure of this fact, but from my personal observation, I get the impression that mahjong is already a popular game--at least in China, where my family1 comes from (I haven't been in China, though). On the other hand, I don't think this show is going to increase the interest in the game because, well, if you look at the manga, it has no intentions of "promoting" mahjong, as opposed to: "assuming" that you already know how to play so you can follow the story along those lines. However, this shouldn't be an impediment to enjoy this anime because of the other selling point...
Non of my acquaintance knows how to play Mahjong, so I have no choice but playing against computer. Not a bad choice because quite I'm still learning, I can practice calculating the score and compares with computer's result. Thus, playing against computer has its advantage, I can take my time to think without people bugging me. For beginner, I think playing on the computer is the best choice.

On the manga itself.....I don't think there is any shorter skirt in the world.
Old 2009-03-23, 12:33   Link #110
bayoab

Quote:
Non of my acquaintance knows how to play Mahjong, so I have no choice but playing against computer. Not a bad choice because quite I'm still learning, I can practice calculating the score and compares with computer's result. Thus, playing against computer has its advantage, I can take my time to think without people bugging me. For beginner, I think playing on the computer is the best choice.
Also, you don't have to worry about "is this actually a winning hand" when playing a computer as most will block you from incorrectly declaring victory. This is much better for a beginner who doesn't realize that they've entered furi-ten or that they actually don't have a winning hand when they think they do.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 12:36   Link #111
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I seen too many mahjong games and how this game broke up so many lives because of the gambling addiction caused by this game since I grew up in a mahjong parlour. I just couldn't wrap my mind around this as just a game aspect and watch it.
Old 2009-03-25, 16:35   Link #112
E_I
Yuri fan

This show is so unlike Gonzo's usual stuff.

Do they really really need to slam down the tiles? I didn't know Mahjong is a contact sport.
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 16:42   Link #113
kyouray
2D > 3D

Trailer from Tokyo Anime Fair is available on the official website : select the "第二弾" video.
Nice.
Old 2009-03-25, 17:43   Link #114
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post

Do they really really need to slam down the tiles? I didn't know Mahjong is a contact sport.
It's sort of an 'in your face' thing. Like, 'HAH, I'VE GOT THIS COMBINATION AND YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING!' My family does that.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 18:42   Link #115
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_I View Post

Because we like it? =/
It's anime, and you want it become a realistic Mahjong movie?
Old 2009-03-25, 21:17   Link #116
Falkor

let's say that is normal to slam down mahjong tiles---it's just that they exaggerate this notion in the anime.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 21:31   Link #117
Midonin
Last Engage

Saw the second trailer, and now having heard it, I like the OP. All that remains is to see what animation it has going with it.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 21:34   Link #118
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

My Mahjong board is kinda small, so in fact, I have never slammed down the mahjong tile before (although I always wish to do it once).
Tried to make a pose when winning once, but it looks stupid so I stopped . Sigh, those girls can make themselves cool or cute by doing that.

By the way, when I was reading the manga, I always wonder why do they keep putting the tile horizontally on top of other tiles?
Old 2009-03-25, 21:39   Link #119
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
reallly loved the way the CGId hands fused cleanly with the normaly drawn frames..
also, nice op song.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 22:56   Link #120
npcomplete

Quote:
After reading to vol.4, I can safely say that this show is loli heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darco_emp View Post
You forgot to mention this show is 99% Yuri heaven too.
-> R18 doujin heaven
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen