AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 30 37.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 35.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 18.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 7.50%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.25%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-27, 15:54   Link #61
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'm fond of the Anjou and Yadomi pairing as well. Given his background, he deserves someone by his side, as Anjou herself alluded to in an earlier episode. My only question is if there will be a conflict with Menma's ghost regarding the issue. Further, Yadomi may be held back from pursuing such feelings due to his regret in insulting Menma prior to her death. I wonder what is making him wait to apologize for that incident. Is he too afraid to broach the subject, even with the ghost, or is he unsure when an appropriate time to do so would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I've started that despite how cute she is (and she really was adorable in this episode), I don't really care about Menma herself. I'm far more interested in Jintan, Anal, Yukiatsu and Tsukurou. I like Poppo too, but the poor dude's such a fifth wheel
I agree, but I think in the next few episodes Menma will become more interesting. We've yet to really get a firm grasp on her end of the story.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:04   Link #62
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I wonder what is making him wait to apologize for that incident. Is he too afraid to broach the subject, even with the ghost, or is he unsure when an appropriate time to do so would be?
Perhaps in the back of Jintan's mind, he feels that once he apologizes, Menma would disappear. Maybe he still isn't ready for that yet.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:08   Link #63
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

My favorite part of this episode was the kids' idea to build a rocket and then everyone's reaction to seeing the plans again as teens. That little bit rang so true; kids can get into some crazy dangerous situations sometimes.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:10   Link #64
miketyson

Also: in the first flashback in episode 1 Menma-the-kid told Jintan-the-kid that she had a wish she wanted Jintan to grant (it's right before the OP starts). Jinta might actually know what her wish is, and it might be something he is too afraid to bring up to Menma -- since she doesn't seem to remember it -- and he's hoping something else will be her wish.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:17   Link #65
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
In fairness to Yukiatsu, he did come to Anaru's rescue.
Yes, but even he admitted he rescued her in a cowardly way (or as he said it, smart way). He had no intention of putting himself in danger for her. Jinta would have just punched that guy or ask him to rape him instead (hey, it's be consistent with what he's been doing so far - diverting the attention from Anaru to himself )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
PS. The amount of Tsuruko x Yukiatsu fans in here is disturbing my inner fangirl. Anaru x Jinta for eva!
I support both pairings. There is no conflict of interest. Jinta is paired up with Anaru, Yukiatsu with Tsuruko (why do I always write Tsukuro?), Poppo with his hand. Perfect.
Old 2011-05-27, 16:23   Link #66
CWW
Lurker

Yes, there is conflict! There is always conflict in shipping wars! Every second spent on the other pairing could have been spent on this pairing! Rawr!
Old 2011-05-27, 16:58   Link #67
kitten320

Well Menma's mum was weird from the moment they came to visit her, the look she was giving them from behind was not the most pleasant one. I guess she might have lost it once Menma died and still didn't over come it. She probably will be the next traget for redemption like Yukiatsu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
PS. The amount of Tsuruko x Yukiatsu fans in here is disturbing my inner fangirl. Anaru x Jinta for eva!
How exactly do those pairings stand in each others way? They are not even related. Now if it was Yukiatsu/Anaru and Jinta/Tsuruko, I would get your problem.
Old 2011-05-27, 19:29   Link #68
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Good episode. The cute Anaru moments are so fun. I just wonder where this is all leading to exactly.
Old 2011-05-27, 20:46   Link #69
Raiga
tl;dr

Ah man, the kid flashbacks this episode... I'm supposed to be too young to be having nostalgia but this episode just...

That one line Anaru said, about how when you're a kid you look up to the "big kids" and think they can do anything, but then you grow up and realize it was the other way around. That really hit home.
Old 2011-05-27, 21:17   Link #70
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Episode 7

Besides the obvious Anaru Tsundere-ing which was on higher volume this week, it looks like the focus of the series this time is on the mom. That shading in her face in the end of the episode tells everything!
Old 2011-05-27, 23:07   Link #71
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

What the hell was up with Menma's mom?
Old 2011-05-28, 00:14   Link #72
Excorsism

Jintan was definitely pretty cool this episode. Go leader!
Old 2011-05-28, 06:45   Link #73
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Started watching this series yesterday and seriously.. why didn't I start this earlier?

So this time's wish about the fireworks seems to be Menma's true wish. Or Not.

Anyway Menma's mom was and +point to Jintan for helping Anaru again!
Old 2011-05-28, 12:08   Link #74
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Very heartwarming episode. As much as I hate to repeat, it is yet another simple but powerful episode. So yes, for those who were speculating domestic abuse or whatever, I would suggest you dropping the idea because that is really not what this show is about.

And we found out what the line in previous episode's preview meant. It indeed should be taken literally, interestingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
That might show how broken she really is, because my untrained self heard her last line as 'You're f***ing kidding me, right?' (in a very monotone, serial killer manner )

I wonder how guys who know Japanese would translate that line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Second time I heard it as "ふざけてるはね" (fuzaketeru wa ne), like everyone else (well almost like everyone else, I keep hearing "wa ne" not "yo ne"). That seems right, and I do have a tendency to mishear voiced as unvoiced and vice-versa.

But if that's right: it seems like she's saying that affectionately to Menma, and not about Jinta's friends? Like the dialog is essentially "Menma, it seems like Jinta and his friends sure are doing all kinds of things on your behalf. *Pause*. You're goofing around, right?", with the same affection as when she described Menma as a bit of an airhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Indeed it's "wa ne", I was focused on the first part and misheard the rest. I don't dislike your take on the dialogue, since I'm more inclined to think it's the father.

On a related note, UTW subs are out and translate that line as "What a joke". Previously though, the whole discussion between the three and the fireworks' man has been translated as if they were talking of a female (she, her).
First of all, yes, the line is indeed "fuzaketeru wa ne". Fuzakeru is usually translated as "what a joke/you gotta be kidding me" in English subbing, but that is just one of the ways the term can be interpretated. Other than meaning kidding/nonsense/making fun of, it can mean 2 more things:

1. Flirting between a man and a woman; or
2. Kids/animals messing around/making a fuss.

And in this case, it's the 2nd one. Menma's mom was still talking about Jinta and others, not Menma. The 2 lines are connected together, so the whole dialogue is:

"Onee-chan (Menma), Jinta-kun and others seem to be working really hard for your sake." (not working as literally working even though they did "work")

"They are really messing around."

As noted by miketyson, she said that affectionately, so she wasn't blaming them or anything. She simply meant they went too far to fulfill Menma's wish, trying to get an adult to make fireworks for them.
Old 2011-05-28, 16:25   Link #75
miketyson

quuchan: thanks. Would Menma's mom's remarks be consistent with a theory like: "Menma's mom has a pretty good guess at what might cause Menma's ghost to appear and ask Jinta for help. She thinks it's a bit cute the way Menma's old friends are trying to help out, but they'd have to know the things they're doing aren't what Menma's ghost actually came back for?"

cyth: Before this episode I was really loving it -- it was legitimately good, kept me wanting to find out what was really going on. It had the extra hook that it was that rare show that I could mostly follow in raw form -- even with my vestigial language skills -- and was also pretty good. Usually it's one or the other: I can follow it without subs but it's not good enough to hold my interest, or it's good but I'm basically lost w/out subs.

After this episode it's reminding me of what I thought of Planetes, which was a show I could intellectually observe was really well-made in all kinds of ways but somehow still left me feeling flat and unengaged; I could see it was good and well made but it just didn't have any magic for me.

The change in outlook from this episode is that before this episode it seemed like there'd be a lot of "big things" left to happen -- is Menma a ghost or Jinta's imagination? Poppo faking his travels? does Jinta have a disease? was Menma's family abusive? -- but the way this episode went it seemed to close the book on most of those "big possibilities".

I'm still quite curious to see how it all wraps up, but after ep7 the show seems a lot smaller-scale and down-to-earth than before, and that's taking some of the excitement out of it for me.
Old 2011-05-29, 00:50   Link #76
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Just to inform its participants, I've moved the current discussion about "general feelings about AnoHana and other spring shows at this point of time" in the generic thread.

How many times do I need to tell you that these widely spread overviews do not belong to a specific episode thread, since they break the flow and prevent actual episode discussion to people who'd wish to do so.
Old 2011-05-29, 02:01   Link #77
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
quuchan: thanks. Would Menma's mom's remarks be consistent with a theory like: "Menma's mom has a pretty good guess at what might cause Menma's ghost to appear and ask Jinta for help. She thinks it's a bit cute the way Menma's old friends are trying to help out, but they'd have to know the things they're doing aren't what Menma's ghost actually came back for?"
I doubt Menma's mom is aware of the "ghost". She associated the fireworks with Menma either because she heard from Menma before when Menma was alive, or she read Menma's diary. I seriously doubt she knows what the wish of Menma is, nor she is aware that they are doing it for Menma's "ghost". That comment was more like a comment from a sensible adult with a tone betraying her real thoughts. "The kids are going too far but I surely appreciate what they are doing for Menma."
Old 2011-05-29, 03:24   Link #78
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Good episode, but i think the firework arc is a red herring. While the title may reference a firework explosion, im more inclined to belive it references the dried flowers we saw in episode 1 and the blossums we see... everywhere in the ED and OP. Menma wanted to keep something a secret before Jintan, that must be related to her true wish. Unless i got confused at some point, ep7 wasn't too clear about the firework incident beeing real or imagined.
Old 2011-05-29, 03:41   Link #79
Sides

I gave it a 10, because there was a Wagnaria!! poster in the background ^^
Old 2011-05-29, 10:36   Link #80
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Good episode, but i think the firework arc is a red herring. While the title may reference a firework explosion, im more inclined to belive it references the dried flowers we saw in episode 1 and the blossums we see... everywhere in the ED and OP. Menma wanted to keep something a secret before Jintan, that must be related to her true wish. Unless i got confused at some point, ep7 wasn't too clear about the firework incident beeing real or imagined.
Note the timing when the title appears - it's right after Yukiatsu saying Menma asked everyone to gather without Jinta knowing and Tsuruko saying "Menma did?", so the "True Wish" most likely refers to that. As for the rocket firework scene, it's imaginery.
Closed Thread