AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-01, 06:13   Link #21721
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Insight: From a ferry, a Chinese fast-attack boat
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84U1HG20120601
Old 2012-06-01, 07:43   Link #21722
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
A high school teacher in Alberta was suspended and risks being 'fired' for giving students zero (grade) for not submitting assignments. Teacher has already been warned before that he cannot give the zero grade, even if assignments are not handed in.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...895/story.html

Wtf, when did the education system become so infantile? Maybe instead of using GPA or %, they should put stickers on student assignments as the grading instead.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:48   Link #21723
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Dammit I want a gold star for my uni assessments from now on!

Also, lol @ not being able to give a zero for a non-submission... that pretty much defines a zero. What are they supposed to do, give a minimum pass? Heh, if the guy wanted to be an ass he could give a 'one' and tell em, there no zero!
Old 2012-06-01, 10:29   Link #21724
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Time to break out the negative grades.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:40   Link #21725
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I would give them an imaginary number for non delivered homework
Old 2012-06-01, 10:48   Link #21726
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
While I was reading the Toronto Sun, there was a random poll on the side:

Should Canada reinstate the death penalty?
Yes - 10698 votes (80%)
No - 2069 votes (16%
Unsure - 499 votes (4%)

Which was overwhelmingly imbalanced from what I'd imagine it would be. I thought Canadians would be a lot more idealistic with the 'no one should be killed)' with a 60% no, 40% yes. quite fascinating.

Please don't discuss justification of death penalty here :P
Old 2012-06-01, 11:14   Link #21727
Zakoo

He just needs to give him a , that's not really a zero.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:17   Link #21728
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Perhaps their system is set from 1 - 100 and zero doesn't not fit in their system.

In which case he needs to hand out 1s as it would be the lowest grade possible.
Old 2012-06-01, 11:50   Link #21729
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
While I was reading the Toronto Sun, there was a random poll on the side:
Polls done without a statistical methodology (aka random) are worthless, they are no different than asking your family members about some topic and publishing the results as a national poll.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:16   Link #21730
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
A high school teacher in Alberta was suspended and risks being 'fired' for giving students zero (grade) for not submitting assignments. Teacher has already been warned before that he cannot give the zero grade, even if assignments are not handed in.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...895/story.html

Wtf, when did the education system become so infantile? Maybe instead of using GPA or %, they should put stickers on student assignments as the grading instead.
Sad to see another country with a public education system just as bubble-wrapped as the US systems have become. This and other similar reasons is why I dropped the idea of becoming a certified teacher. I now tutor as a sideline.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:29   Link #21731
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sad to see another country with a public education system just as bubble-wrapped as the US systems have become. This and other similar reasons is why I dropped the idea of becoming a certified teacher. I now tutor as a sideline.
i don't know, it kinda feels good to see the rest of the world being flush down with the US.

Forget the US stockpile of nukes, its most dangerous weapon are its hundreds of thousands consultants.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:33   Link #21732
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't know, it kinda feels good to see the rest of the world being flush down with the US.

Forget the US stockpile of nukes, its most dangerous weapon are its hundreds of thousands consultants.
What kind of consultant?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:38   Link #21733
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Generally the overpaid kind if I recall.
Old 2012-06-01, 18:45   Link #21734
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

In Amurrica, 46% of People Hold a Creationist View of Human Origins

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Ho...n-Origins.aspx

Son, I am dissapoint.
Old 2012-06-01, 20:51   Link #21735
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Generally the overpaid kind if I recall.
Being '' overpaid'' isn't the problem, it's what they ''do'' .

U.S. publishes satellite images of Syria
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85101020120602
Old 2012-06-03, 01:24   Link #21736
flying ^

Animal Rights Legislation Would Make Eggs a Luxury Food !!!

One day soon, America could wake up to a dozen eggs costing $8 or more. And unless you are involved in some aspect of farming or agriculture, you would never know that egg prices are about to skyrocket or the reason why. With food prices already increasing due to high grain and fuel costs, extraneous so-called animal welfare regulations are being imposed on U.S. food producers, large and small, by the animal rights powerhouse known as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

With HSUS' vegan animal rights platform as the motivations behind crafting a controversial egg bill, S. 3239 was introduced in the U.S. Senate on Friday, May 25, 2012, inching U.S. egg producers closer to a mandate which would require them to phase out conventional cages for egg-laying hens and transition to a system called "enriched colony cages" by 2029, at a cost to U.S. egg producers ranging between $4 billion to $10 billion.

And while most Americans shrug their shoulders and live their lives, they are completely unaware of how this regulation will affect the cost of food and its availability in the future. The current egg shortage in the U.K. should be a jolting wake-up call for Americans, illustrating that the onerous animal welfare regulations which have phased out conventional cages there have caused egg prices to quadruple, while diminishing egg supply to a "crisis" level. This is a glimpse of what's coming to America if HSUS' egg bill becomes law ..........
Old 2012-06-03, 01:31   Link #21737
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It would be more hilarious than horrifying to see the law pass from an outsider perspective, because it sort of reflects how your government will listen to any fringe organization with a metric fuckton of money.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:39   Link #21738
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can see someone has never seen "conventional cages" (which are like something out of Sinclair's The Jungle) ... and the Humane Society is far from some "fringe animal rights" group or a "powerhouse" in comparision to the corporate farm lobby (not a friend to family farms, btw). Do some research on how family farms were hijacked/enslaved by the large corporations who demand extraordinarily abusive treatment of the assets (the chickens) and the threats they use to force family farms into their systems.

This has all happened in the last 20 or 30 years so I suppose someone younger might not be aware of just how fucked up the "food" industry has become. Oh but wait, we have this thing called the Internet.... :P
Old 2012-06-03, 01:44   Link #21739
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Last video I recall seeing on eggs was a product of the late 1940s or early 1950s.
Old 2012-06-03, 02:10   Link #21740
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You gotta stop linking to the American Thinker. That place is not a site that tries to be unbiased. It is like the step-child of Fox News. In fact, I just looked up more articles from that site tonight. It is even worse than Fox News.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international