AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-21, 16:03   Link #301
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenNori View Post
Old 2007-07-22, 02:07   Link #302
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Now, now, let's not stab anyone's gut until we've heard the end result.

Anyone know if Ms. Lee can actually sing?
Old 2007-07-25, 17:55   Link #303
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

I was going to get the DVDs, until I read about the messed up subs. The next time a licenser needs decent subs, they should talk with one of the subbing groups that were subbing the series prior to it being licensed. Bandai should've talked to a.f.k. about the subs.
Old 2007-07-26, 01:48   Link #304
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaGDB View Post
I was going to get the DVDs, until I read about the messed up subs. The next time a licenser needs decent subs, they should talk with one of the subbing groups that were subbing the series prior to it being licensed. Bandai should've talked to a.f.k. about the subs.
Refresh my memory - what exactly is wrong with the subs? I haven't watched them on the second volume yet, but the first one seems fine. The font's a little big, granted, and some of the translations are a bit too literal, but they weren't awful by any means. What's stopping you from supporting Haruhi like you should be?
Old 2007-07-26, 03:19   Link #305
Robotnik
Not a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
Refresh my memory - what exactly is wrong with the subs? I haven't watched them on the second volume yet, but the first one seems fine. The font's a little big, granted, and some of the translations are a bit too literal, but they weren't awful by any means. What's stopping you from supporting Haruhi like you should be?
I think people are referring to this post a little ways back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I finally got my box and watched the first volume...

In short: dub passes, sub fails.

I liked the dub, and I also agree with a lot what's been said about it... though I think that Wendee is playing Haruhi a little too chipper (guess I'm used to Aya's vocal range), but she does get better as we get to the later episodes.

I watched the sub for Melancholy I and I was extremely disappointed by the excessive use of inappropriate jargon for a lot of the lines... and why the hell couldn't they use "time travelers" instead of "future men?" It looked like they translated some parts more literally than others and it turned out to be a huge mess... (guess I'm spoiled by what has gone before, though "moe" was used for both the sub and dub)

I hope that there is an improvement in the next volume (fat chance I know).

Isn't it real sad when an "amateur" work looks more professional than a "professional" work?
FWIW, stuff like that didn't ruin it for me; I'm still buying the regular editions.
Old 2007-07-26, 17:57   Link #306
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Changed my mind. I may get the Haruhi DVDs after all. Just saw an ad for the volume 2 DVD in a Canadian music mag I picked up today. It marks the first time I've seen an ad for any Haruhi merchandise.
Old 2007-07-29, 16:19   Link #307
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Wow.. the dub is suprisingly good. I havent found anything wrong with it so far.. I like.

I prefer the non-official subs though.

If there are 4 episodes to a volume.. does that mean 4 volumes total? with it going

volume 1: 4 eps
volume 2: 4 eps
volume 3: 3 eps
volume 4: 3 eps

will it work like that? and what are the release dates for the final 2?
Old 2007-07-30, 04:45   Link #308
M.Marangio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziek View Post
If there are 4 episodes to a volume.. does that mean 4 volumes total? with it going

volume 1: 4 eps
volume 2: 4 eps
volume 3: 3 eps
volume 4: 3 eps

will it work like that? and what are the release dates for the final 2?
The running time of the third DVD is 75 min, i.e. it contains 3 episodes (and therefore the fourth DVD contains the last 3 episodes). The release date of the third DVD is probably september 4, 2007 (see e.g. amazon.com).
Old 2007-08-06, 00:12   Link #309
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Now, now, let's not stab anyone's gut until we've heard the end result.

Anyone know if Ms. Lee can actually sing?
Well, Wendee Lee did start out as a singer before she became a voice actress...
Old 2007-09-07, 11:20   Link #310
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

did anyone see that ASOS ep that has interview with the dubbers well here a clip of that ep http://one.revver.com/watch/310444 of ASOS meeting the dubbers (with a cameo doing of power rangers)
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2007-09-07, 22:55   Link #311
Animexcel

lol I saw Patty aka Haruhi at AX, I saw her at walking with her group and I tapped on her shoulder and waved =p

Me trying to cosplay Kyon ^^;... I also entered the dance contest as well. >_>;;
Old 2007-09-08, 11:54   Link #312
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

do you think the ASOS going to have it own tv series?

besides it's on the internet http://www.asosbrigade.com/cms/index.php ?
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2007-09-15, 10:48   Link #313
FireChick

I saw the dub of this while watching Anime TV on Anime Selects. Although I don't like the series, the dub is actually quite good to me. Mikuru reminds me of Hinata (Naruto).
Old 2007-10-04, 21:13   Link #314
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I think all of the characters have Great Voice Acters Specialy Kyon his voice is perfect for his personality.
Old 2007-10-05, 03:22   Link #315
Raptor73
ブラック・ロック・シューター

Send a message via MSN to Raptor73
Any English dub will nearly always be inferior to the normal Japanese version, regardless of how well the english dub is done, mainly due to the fact that in Japan voice acting is much more highly regarded, whereas in most english dubs it sounds as if they've just pulled someone off the street and said "read these lines".
Old 2007-10-05, 07:21   Link #316
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

except in this anime. It goes the same for American made anime ... we can't have Super man talking japanese .. or the hulk (that would be funny as hell)

I think the English cast for Haruhi is almost as good as the japanese cast.
Old 2007-10-06, 00:18   Link #317
Animexcel

You should've heard the dubbing bit at the SOS Brigade Concert at AX when both Aya Hirano and Wendee Lee were on stage lipsyncing to Haruhi's class introduction scene. After Aya's performance was a huge roar of applause. After Wendee Lee did her's, I think less than half of the audience was clapping; or they were clapping very quietly, and the stadium was pretty packed too.
Old 2007-10-06, 11:06   Link #318
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

is Wendee Lee american? or Aya?
Old 2007-10-07, 05:33   Link #319
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
You should've heard the dubbing bit at the SOS Brigade Concert at AX when both Aya Hirano and Wendee Lee were on stage lipsyncing to Haruhi's class introduction scene. After Aya's performance was a huge roar of applause. After Wendee Lee did her's, I think less than half of the audience was clapping; or they were clapping very quietly, and the stadium was pretty packed too.
Sounded like people liked Aya's performance more than what Wendee Lee did for Haruhi in the dub.
I personally think that the dub for Haruhi is pretty good and is what we can get close enough to the original Japanese dub of Haruhi. Anyways, the studio was asking fans of Haruhi to post their votes on sample voices when Haruhi was first licensed. But judging from that experience, it just goes to show you that everyone who is into anime prefers the original Japanese dub more than the American dub.

And to Kyero Fox, Wendee Lee is the American voice for Haruhi while Aya Hirano is the original Japanese voice for Haruhi.
Old 2007-10-07, 08:22   Link #320
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Personaly I perfer Kyon's english voice more and .. the spirit guy X'D i forgot his name ... the one who's voice acter is Johnny

and the English Yu Yu Hakusho sounds better in English than the Japanese IMO (sorry for a little off topic there)

and of course they like the Original better... It was afterall made in japan first... its the same for American made stuff... When the country makes it the Original Voice acters are better than any of the dubs.