AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-20, 00:55   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Lucky Star FanFiction Discussion

Welcome to Lucky Star FanFiction Discussion thread.

This thread is meant for Lucky Star fanfiction and its discussion. Fanfiction works can be either posted in this thread or in the Fan Creations Forum and linked to in this thread. You may also link to Fanfiction works posted on other sites and discuss it here.

General rules of our forum still apply:
  • No sexually explicit material. Yes, this goes for text format as well.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members
  • Have fun, but post intelligently

Please respect the authors, fanfictions are written in their free time, they have have no gain and owe you nothing; if they a like a particular character and/or a particular pattern for their story, it's a personal choice and can't be blamed. In general, you are free to post constructive criticisms but not insults which (as in any other part of the forums) won't be tolerated. Remember that writers post here to get help and not to get troubles.

Thanks and have fun
Old 2008-10-20, 01:40   Link #2
BOOKGLUTTON
;;'

This thread will deliver. I have high hopes...
Old 2008-10-20, 14:00   Link #3
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Thanks a bunch for starting up this board.

Like I've said, Lucky Star is one of those series that does not have a definite ending yet the source material is large/untapped and the popularity is immense. It has nowhere to go but up as things stand.

Now, there's no reason to feel really intimidated by it's size either. There's about 150 fics/one-shots at Fanfiction.net at the moment, which is pretty good. It's not too small to lose hope but not too large to be over-run by insanity. From personal experience as well, the community is quite tightly knit together, so writing an accomdating story will help. I've talked to about 10 or so other authors and many of them are welcoming to critique or praise. The key is simply not to isolate yourself.

On the topic of actual fics themselves, there are few general topics to work with. Since this is an all-girl cast so yuri is imminent. Everyone knows this already, but you'll expect to see a lot here. Mostly Konata/Kagami stuff, but most of it is good for the most part. When it comes to pairings popularity it's them, then Minami/Yutaka, then Misao/Ayano. Though that doesn't exclude irregular pairings. One of the best ones I've ever read does Hiyori/Kagami out of all things.

Original Characters are more rare than I anticipated, but they do exist. The "Insert-Male" is the most common form there is. However, the route is kind of taboo. It seems that a core-audience likes this stuff, not like a normal yuri or parodies that everyone will try. Since I particularly use that and I own the largest story on the subject, the key is simple to have a fic in this category. Make your character likeable and not boring. He/She doesn't have to be perfect, but they should be able to strike a conversation with someone. Oddly enough though, it surprises me no one has tried doing this with a girl, and having them fall for someone in the cast. /shrug Guess there are just too many to choose from.

There's a good amount though of lulzy or romantic one-shots. Most people stick to the core element of the show. If you want Sci-Fi or Dramatic or Insane stories, they are there but are in limited quality. I just hope that clears up anything for anyone.

If any new writers would like to try anything in this series, I will be happy to read over them for you. I strongly urge everyone though to be honest. If too many people run around thinking what they write is perfect, problems can arise. Not to mention, it would be nice if we got more of a review than: "It was good, write more." Stuff like that leaves us in suspense because we don't know what we did good or bad or if any scene was particularly fun.

Hope this was worth the read for you guys. ^_^

Last edited by Nukerjsr; 2008-10-20 at 15:57.
Old 2008-10-20, 15:20   Link #4
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Hmm...sounds interesting. Can I as a fan writter have my own setting? Example Lucky Alien World lol and something parallel to the L.S.
Old 2008-10-20, 15:55   Link #5
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Hmm...sounds interesting. Can I as a fan writter have my own setting? Example Lucky Alien World lol and something parallel to the L.S.
Might be a little difficult. Slice-of-Life shows are very dependant on the setting, especially with the way the Japanese High School works. I think an alien world would work as long as you keep the characters and interctions in tact.
Old 2008-10-20, 15:58   Link #6
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Send a message via AIM to Kagami~n
Ah, it's great to see this board here. ^^

I agree that Lucky Star was a series that left itself very open to fanfiction. It was a show about everyday life, so it's great for casual writing. It's also been great for yuri (which I'm naturally a fan of). I love the influx of Konata/Kagami stories, and I gotta admit that one Hiyori/Kagami story is pretty good.

Original characters are hard to do well. A lot of writers don't seem to put very much love into them. I kinda lose hope for them as decent characters when I see they've been created just to be paired off with one of the canon characters. How much personality and likability can you really put into a character you created just to be someone's boyfriend/girlfriend? I think that the best OC's come from writers who want to make a character for the character's own sake, rather than the sake of a plot device. That's my stance.

Since Lucky Star is a very Japanese show, one of the things that I found the most challenging about writing was trying to remain true to Japanese culture. I would research and read into every aspect I was insecure about, until I felt like a loser and stopped. :P But I really think that it helps to make a story feel like an actual episode if you know the most you can about what you're writing about. Has anyone else here had a hard time researching cultural or language stuff in general?

Should those of us who are writers start with an intro and post a link to a fic maybe?
Old 2008-10-20, 16:08   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

It'd be damn fun if we do a chain story, each of us doing exactly one chapter. There will be no rules as to where the fic goes, except perhaps no original characters are allowed and all significant out-of-character twists need to be voted upon.
Old 2008-10-20, 16:44   Link #8
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
It'd be damn fun if we do a chain story, each of us doing exactly one chapter. There will be no rules as to where the fic goes, except perhaps no original characters are allowed and all significant out-of-character twists need to be voted upon.
Hey, I like that idea.
Old 2008-10-20, 16:48   Link #9
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
Hey, I like that idea.
I support it to. But how do we think of an icebreaker or general topic to start it on?

And if we really want to get things moving, I say we talk about what fics we write (or are planning to write) and what ones we would recommend to others.
Old 2008-10-20, 17:22   Link #10
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

I'll introduce myself as a writer then. :P

My ff.net name is weluvgirlswithglasses (get it?) I actually collaborate my fics with my fiance, because she writes Konata so fabulously. We write mostly...er... almost all yuri. >.>; All Konata/Kagami. I love writing for Kagami and we both enjoy writing back and forth and playing on their unique interactions and such. And we're fangirls. :P

My most popular story is "Level Up! Love!". I tend to have really long chapters, so I'll spare everyone the obnoxious textwall and just post a link to it at ff.net.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4219558/1/Level_Up_Love

If anyone goes and reads it, I'd love to hear what you think. Keeping in-character is (supposedly) one of mine and my partner's biggest strong-points, and it's definitely what's most important to me as a fanfic writer. I really like getting feedback.... honest, wordy feedback is my favorite kind. As Nuke said, if you like it, I am happiest when you tell me why.

About this potential chain story.... how would we set that up?
Old 2008-10-20, 18:28   Link #11
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I wanted it to be like in the PS2 game where anything can happen, like Konata being an E.T. lol no kidding. Oh well...better think of a more slice of life storyline.
Old 2008-10-20, 20:03   Link #12
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I will distance from angsty storylines, but I've noticed that the roster on FF.net has been...a little too happy. Somebody's got to have thought of how Konata deals socially in the big picture with being an otaku (because at least in the imaginary worlds of anime and manga, bullying looks pretty brutal).

It could go several ways, either she is actually having a big problem with it and depend on her friends so she doesn't break down (but we don't see it because this is a happy anime), or she simply was too damn weird to pick on. But that wouldn't be story-worthy now, would it?
Old 2008-10-20, 22:13   Link #13
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

I guess I shall introduce myself too, since I suggested the idea.

My username here matches the one I have at ff.net. Nukerjsr. (People screw this up all the time, lol) Anyway, I've been writing my fic since Janurary of 2008 and it's definitely my proudest work so far. It's an "Insert Male" story, but I assure everyone that it is not what you would normally expect.

The romance isn't pushed on all cylanders, I'm more of a humor-description kind of writer, so I look at that first. That would explain why it's so long (Second longest fanfic in the section. ^^ But I do wish that my original character is pleasing and will not make you rage. And even though I do create a story based on an original character, I have no objections to yuri or anything regular.

Here it is: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4006187/1/A_Second_Opinion

While you read this you should know two things.

1. I'm a Harmonix fanboy. (Guitar Hero 1, 2, 80s, Rock Band 1 and 2) It's not improbable to have the games there even if it is a bit odd, but I do love the games. So hopefully the descriptions or chapters on games won't bore you.

2. If you are a new reader, please, do not read the reviews. Unless you want to be spoiled on what will happen, don't read the reviews. And if you do review my story here put a spoiler tag on anything Chapter 22 and After. Just a precaution. ^^;

I've dabbled in a couple of other things though. Here is my non-OC one shot about a certain little parody. And along with that, I have two other one shots that are spin-offs of the current story. One is an extended scene of Chapter 21 while the other one is just a supernatural gaming funfest.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4561299/1/Dark_Chocolate

On a couple of other notes, A Second Opinion is close to completion and I'm already thinking of other alternate scenes or sequels and stuff. (Sequel would be more of a series of one-shots, but whatever) I just thought I should tell you all that.

And, I know this is a bit shameless but if you are in the mood for a more rare pairing, you should look at this fic that me and Kagami~n have been suggesting by an author called Mad Pierrot Le Fou. It's just fantastic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4429212/...ighschool_Girl
Old 2008-10-21, 14:03   Link #14
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
I will distance from angsty storylines, but I've noticed that the roster on FF.net has been...a little too happy. Somebody's got to have thought of how Konata deals socially in the big picture with being an otaku (because at least in the imaginary worlds of anime and manga, bullying looks pretty brutal).

It could go several ways, either she is actually having a big problem with it and depend on her friends so she doesn't break down (but we don't see it because this is a happy anime), or she simply was too damn weird to pick on. But that wouldn't be story-worthy now, would it?
Something that gloomy isn't really my thing. I can't get enough happy in the Lucky Star section. Now if it were the Evangelion section and was this happy... then I'd leave.

If you want to explore the scenario, you could always try to write it yourself. ^^ Konata doesn't really seem to care what other people think of her. She definitely inherited her father's personality, and he's the same way. I think that the latter of your two scenarios is more likely. Imagining Konata as the victim of female bullying is sort of a stretch... in fact, I've never really seen her interact with any classmate that she doesn't already know or know through someone. I'm guessing she's too weird to pick on. And if someone tried, I assume that she would give so little in the way of a reaction that it wouldn't be worth it.

And Kagami would kick their ass anyway.
Old 2008-10-21, 15:09   Link #15
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Lucky Star is a happy place, so angst isn't really that appealing. I don't mind if a character gets in despair once in a while, but a full on dramafest makes me feel uneasy. (Lonely Kagami >_>)

I don't mind that idea though with Konata however. You don't really have to force it on her, but I can easily see her getting the message. Like Miyuki or Misao or Ayano saying "Hey, you might want to leave Kagami alone or she might leave you." That would scare the crap out of her. She shouldn't turn her life around, being an otaku is in her blood. Something that would make her think is the key to getting Konata.
Old 2008-10-22, 00:16   Link #16
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
1. I'm a Harmonix fanboy. (Guitar Hero 1, 2, 80s, Rock Band 1 and 2) It's not improbable to have the games there even if it is a bit odd, but I do love the games. So hopefully the descriptions or chapters on games won't bore you.
If you desire to keep the fic Japan-centered, people have been enjoying GuitarFreaks and DrumFreaks in Japanese arcades since 1998. Konami must cry themselves to sleep now with Harmonix and Red Octane making so much money off the consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
I wanted it to be like in the PS2 game where anything can happen, like Konata being an E.T. lol no kidding. Oh well...better think of a more slice of life storyline.
That opens up for lots of funny, actually. Now we can explore why Konata: a) came to Earth, b) decided to become an otaku, and c) absolutely doesn't care what people think of her. Seriously, I wouldn't mind thinking people as weird as that to be aliens.

Last edited by Claies; 2008-10-22 at 00:43.
Old 2008-10-23, 19:21   Link #17
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
If you desire to keep the fic Japan-centered, people have been enjoying GuitarFreaks and DrumFreaks in Japanese arcades since 1998. Konami must cry themselves to sleep now with Harmonix and Red Octane making so much money off the consoles.
No worries, I researched all of it before posting it. It turns out that Japan does sell the Guitar Hero series so it's possibility isn't completely gone. There's also the modification of systems for legion-locked games, which isn't too uncommon. I did look into the history though of Konami would GuitarFreaks and DrumMania. It's pretty interesting how things are. In fact, Konami took a swing at things and tried to release something similar to Rock Band for the states. The result...not too great.

But I've also updated my own story. One more chapter to go. @_@

Quote:
That opens up for lots of funny, actually. Now we can explore why Konata: a) came to Earth, b) decided to become an otaku, and c) absolutely doesn't care what people think of her. Seriously, I wouldn't mind thinking people as weird as that to be aliens.
I wouldn't mind that either, as long as it doesn't get too scientific on us. I can imagine Konata being really blunt about the subject like. "Do you know how BORING it is flying around in a saucer all day?!" Plus, that could contribute to why she loves Haruhi Suzumiya because Yuki is an alien and we all know how awesome she is.
Old 2008-10-24, 10:41   Link #18
Kagami~n
I want to @#$% with--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I wouldn't mind that either, as long as it doesn't get too scientific on us. I can imagine Konata being really blunt about the subject like. "Do you know how BORING it is flying around in a saucer all day?!" Plus, that could contribute to why she loves Haruhi Suzumiya because Yuki is an alien and we all know how awesome she is.
Now -that- is what we would call a crack fic. Completely implausible and off-the-wall. I think so few of those are actually done well... because if it's not funny, then a crack fic has (usually) failed.

I know a certain someone who is working on one now that I'm really looking forward to.

Alien Konata could also go into explaining her ahoge, lol.
Old 2008-10-24, 13:13   Link #19
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I'll probably end up not writing anything, because I don't have the time. I'm simply throwing ideas around for people to pick up.

See, if Konata's ever an alien, we don't go to her saucer or go scientific or whatnot. Being that serious about aliens is terrible in my opinion. >_>;;

My rationale is that she's a damn bored alien who figured that being an otaku is fun and would keep on doing it. The slice of life would revolve around her being extremely naive on social affairs and pulling off completely unexplainable feats that people don't seem to notice as weird (but Kagami does, right?).

And if you paid attention you would notice that I just want Nagato Yuki to be an otaku for a day and see what happens.
Old 2008-10-24, 13:43   Link #20
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Quote:
I'll probably end up not writing anything, because I don't have the time. I'm simply throwing ideas around for people to pick up.

See, if Konata's ever an alien, we don't go to her saucer or go scientific or whatnot. Being that serious about aliens is terrible in my opinion. >_>;;

My rationale is that she's a damn bored alien who figured that being an otaku is fun and would keep on doing it. The slice of life would revolve around her being extremely naive on social affairs and pulling off completely unexplainable feats that people don't seem to notice as weird (but Kagami does, right?).

And if you paid attention you would notice that I just want Nagato Yuki to be an otaku for a day and see what happens.
That's what one-shots are for. Moments of inspiration that you just have to put down on Word. It's happened to me. Aliens are mixed for the most part just because they are divided between humor and serious-business. And while some can be great/insightful, others can be annoying/cheesy/tedious.

On the subject of Nagato and Otakus, there was one crazy thought I had. What if Minami were a closet otaku? The idea sprung to me when they had that Yuki cosplayer in the Cosplay Cafe episode and...well...they are nearly identical in every way. (Except the hair) But still, I think it would interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami~n View Post
I know a certain someone who is working on one now that I'm really looking forward to.

Alien Konata could also go into explaining her ahoge, lol.
You talking about Akai-Kurenai? I know that guy, his crack fics are pretty good. Nice guy too. As for the ahoge, maybe this picture would come into play:

Spoiler for Picture:
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction