Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-10, 02:41   Link #401
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Response

Thats true. Your right. But at least consider this, the WG has more resources at there disposal then any other being and organization in the One Piece Universe. The head of CP9 Spandam was able to give out Three devil fruits to three of his people. Thats does not include the other two devil fruit users in the CP9 group. That just the intelligence division. Have the Marines ever given out powerful devil fruits to marines before? What about WG themselves? Did the WG give the Admirals there Devil Fruits?

Two Devil Fruits Cheap or Cheesy?
I don't think so. I think it is just part of an evolving arms race between factions. Good example is WWI, WWII, and the Cold War great example of arms race. Black Beard has two devil fruits that make him powerful. He displayed that right in front of the media. Everyone know now that it is possible to wield two fruits. Its natural that the marines and WG are going to want it too if it benefits them. I think Oda will make this situation on rare occasions since that is powerful.
Thats precisely what makes it cheap and cheesy. At least to me one of the things that makes me really love one piece, is the fact that it hasn't been driven by power ups, which becomes the case in a lot of Shonen Series. A lot of the excitement of Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach is driven by the "arms race", e.g. the quest to become the super saiyan, or going to King Kai's place, or Bankai in Bleach, and kyuubi/rasengaan in Naruto.

However, in one piece no single power has been a game changer. Instead powers in One piece has been treated like a set of tools, and the actual skill, creativity, lucky will power, and strength of the fighter has determined out comes. Luffy didn't get his butt kicked because he doesn't have a logia fruit. He got his ass kicked because his opponents were that much stronger than him. I suppose this is somewhat subject to argument, there have been many characters in the world of One piece that did not have devil fruits and are very strong. There are many characters in One piece that have devil fruits, and are weak. Even haki, has been shown to not be such a big game changer, especially the lower levels of haki (the ones wielded by the Kuja pirate). The SH Pirates already have defeated people wielding haki on sky island. At the end of the day powers in One piece, is they are only as strong as their user, thats precisely why One piece hasn't been driven by an arm's race.

Until now plot in One piece has been pushed mostly by events in the story. Such as luffy's taking on Enies Lobby against odds to save robin, or breaking down into impel down to save his brother. Or the quest to reach sky island, or Ussop and luffy's fight over the Going Mary. I really strongly hope one piece continues on this path in the future. Its certainly why I consider it a superior series to other action shonen series. The time skip is the first real "training arc". I hope it really doesn't continue on like this in the future.
Old 2010-09-10, 05:57   Link #402
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

On the subject of BB...i think Sanjuan wolf does infact have a DF ability of some kind. If u look back to 595, he is complain about how he can barely move his legs & no power will fill his body...maybe that is because most of his body is underwater....etc

Just throwin it out there
Old 2010-09-10, 09:38   Link #403
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

He's complaining because he's tired from swimming the whole way and the fish are biting him.
Old 2010-09-10, 09:48   Link #404
Kallen4life

Quote:
the New World Sea Kings are biting him.
holyfix
Old 2010-09-10, 09:50   Link #405
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Might as well be fish considering how freaking big the guy is.
Old 2010-09-10, 10:40   Link #406
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Eh?

No, I'm talking about the "Buddha" part.
Just like Admiral "Aokiji" Kuzan.

Also, I recall Admirals being called by their real names by other marines many times in the manga.
Codenames don't necessary supersede it, it just depends on who's calling him.
I know you're talking about the "Buddha" part. That's no different than "Garp the Fist" or "Crane the Tactician". Those are just add-on nicknames, since the aforementioned are known for such things.

The point is, only the 3 admirals have codenames.
Old 2010-09-10, 14:12   Link #407
orangejuicetang

Wasn't Sengoku still called 'Sengoku' back when he was just an admiral during the 'Strong World' chapter?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Old 2010-09-10, 14:32   Link #408
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I'm making a guess on the new admiral is named Ashige (grey horse), devil fruit power will be earth (rocks etc...) following the logia theme of the other admirals.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Old 2010-09-10, 15:50   Link #409
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Wasn't Sengoku still called 'Sengoku' back when he was just an admiral during the 'Strong World' chapter?
That was many years ago, though. Really, it all simply comes down to Oda making a reference to that momotaro legend with the 3 admirals.
Old 2010-09-10, 15:56   Link #410
Munty192
Life is a Game...

SO a year pass so far in OP universe 1 more year to go guys
Old 2010-09-10, 17:40   Link #411
Kallen4life

it could also be that the 3 naming thing for the admirals started just now, because they happen to have such nicely complimenting (color-wise) logias xD
Old 2010-09-10, 23:38   Link #412
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

Guys, I got this.

Vegapunk surgically combines Aokiji, Akainu and Kizaru to form a super FA. Kind of like what happened in X-Men Wolverine with that one guy.
Old 2010-09-11, 00:06   Link #413
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Thats precisely what makes it cheap and cheesy. At least to me one of the things that makes me really love one piece, is the fact that it hasn't been driven by power ups, which becomes the case in a lot of Shonen Series. A lot of the excitement of Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, Bleach is driven by the "arms race", e.g. the quest to become the super saiyan, or going to King Kai's place, or Bankai in Bleach, and kyuubi/rasengaan in Naruto.

However, in one piece no single power has been a game changer. Instead powers in One piece has been treated like a set of tools, and the actual skill, creativity, lucky will power, and strength of the fighter has determined out comes. Luffy didn't get his butt kicked because he doesn't have a logia fruit. He got his ass kicked because his opponents were that much stronger than him. I suppose this is somewhat subject to argument, there have been many characters in the world of One piece that did not have devil fruits and are very strong. There are many characters in One piece that have devil fruits, and are weak. Even haki, has been shown to not be such a big game changer, especially the lower levels of haki (the ones wielded by the Kuja pirate). The SH Pirates already have defeated people wielding haki on sky island. At the end of the day powers in One piece, is they are only as strong as their user, thats precisely why One piece hasn't been driven by an arm's race.

Until now plot in One piece has been pushed mostly by events in the story. Such as luffy's taking on Enies Lobby against odds to save robin, or breaking down into impel down to save his brother. Or the quest to reach sky island, or Ussop and luffy's fight over the Going Mary. I really strongly hope one piece continues on this path in the future. Its certainly why I consider it a superior series to other action shonen series. The time skip is the first real "training arc". I hope it really doesn't continue on like this in the future.
Response
I see your point. This arms race could destroy the story, and turn it into Bleach or some other average manga. I understand your fears, but you should have a little more faith in Oda's abilities. He done a very good job so far. The point of Luffy being a pirate king means he will need to increase in power. If you look at the story line up till now, luffy is a walking Rabbits foot. Smoker would have destroyed the Strawhat crew in Loguetown if it weren't for Dragon. The Enies Lobby series Admiral Akoiji could have dealt with the StrawHat crew many times. The only reason he didn't take care of luffy in the Enies Lobby was that he owed Garp. Admiral Akoiji could have easily skipped the Buster Call and go in himself and end it. Then you have the Crocodile who could have killed Luffy couple of times if it weren't for his ego. Then you have the Thriller Bark series were Kuma is letting Luffy live. Kuma could have easily destroyed Zoro and then just dispose of the Strawhat crew like WG asked. Fifth one is Sabaody Archipelago, Silvers Rayleigh and Kuma to the rescue. They saved his ass from Kizaru and his gang. Next you have impel down, thank you very much Ivankov, Crocodile, Jinbei, Mr. 3, and anyone else I forgot to mention for helping luffy. Finally we have the war against White Beard. Luffy was literally carried all the way to the top. I don't see this happening very much after the two year time skip.

The fact that Black Beard is has two devil fruits, White Beard is dead, the WG waiting to see who will come out of the Power Vaccum to determine the next Shichibukai, change up in the marines ranks, Luffy learning Haki from Rayleigh, Oda thinning out the Supernovas, and every strawhat crew getting training is a pure sign that things are only going to get more chaotic. Luffy is going to need more power to back up his dreams. If he doesn't he will be like Ace. The battle for one piece demands the strong and powerful. In the end there can only be one. It is the nature of the beast. Oda has done a good job. I am sure he will handle the one piece with out destroying it.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2010-09-11 at 00:17.
Old 2010-09-11, 01:34   Link #414
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Luffy is going to need more power to back up his dreams. If he doesn't he will be like Ace. The battle for one piece demands the strong and powerful. In the end there can only be one. It is the nature of the beast. Oda has done a good job. I am sure he will handle the one piece with out destroying it.
Yeah he will.

Pretty sure it won't have anything to do with having 2 fruits tho.
Old 2010-09-11, 12:53   Link #415
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

I also don't think that anyone else will have 2 DFs, Blackbeard will be the only one.

And hey, this is kind of random, but while we are on the topic of Devil Fruits, is there any speculation on what Roger's DF was, if he had one? This could tie into what we are talking about.... somehow?
Old 2010-09-11, 13:46   Link #416
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
And hey, this is kind of random, but while we are on the topic of Devil Fruits, is there any speculation on what Roger's DF was, if he had one? This could tie into what we are talking about.... somehow?
I can't be really sure if Roger ever had a Devil Fruit or not because there are no hints so far that he ever had one. But I s'pose it's certainly possible.

Only thing we know for sure that he had was Haki, probably the Haoushoku kind.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:37   Link #417
Netevolution

Im still having a hard time with Ace being killed by Akainu, or what ever hes name awa. I mean i understand that he was coverinng for Luffy with hes solid body, but the part where Magma burns fire...just doesent feel right from the laws of physics. I understand Ace had to die for the sake of the story but...well, Akainu is technicly HOTTER than Ace! Yes! But in a REAL FIGHT like with Blackbeared Ace would simply chance the air around him to Plasma. There is no way that Magma can beat PLASMA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
Old 2010-09-11, 20:40   Link #418
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Ace is not made of plasma. He is made of fire. Regular, orange fire. And Ace did no such thing against Blackbeard. He created a giant fireball. That's it. And he lost.
Old 2010-09-11, 20:49   Link #419
Netevolution

I would simply like to add, that if you study the laws of physics you would discover, that the center of the earth has about the same level of heat as the SURFACE of the sun! Take a look at these links!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

Technicly Ace can create a similar inferno. But hes Devilt fruit takes time to activate. For him to "warm up" so to speak, and only an opponent of somewhat equal strength(like blackbeared)can do that to him. So yes, Akainu can create tempatures fast, that are HOTTER then Aces normal fire. Hower if Ace is given enough time to truly"activate" hes ability, than there really is no limit to just how HOT he can get! I ben he could easily BURN that punk ass admiral
Old 2010-09-11, 20:50   Link #420
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Magma is liquid rock. The melting point of rock is approximately 1,200 degrees celcius.

I don't know if plasma temperatures can go that high, but that's a pretty high number to beat.

The heat of fire varies depending on what it's burning, so I can't make an average guess on how hot Ace's flames might've been, but it's easy to assume it wasn't on the level of Akainu's magma.