AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-03, 16:11   Link #121
styr

Even with boss fights they can still use the teleport crystals, like the one he gave Silica, to warp to a safe zone. Except in rare situations, like what happened in RNR.

I do wonder when the port crystals started showing up though. Before floor 20, 10, 5? I imagine it would be sold by vendors, as player demand would be enormous. Would be the one of the best money sinks in-game. With enough col you could probably teleport everywhere

If it was anything like D3 HC, Kirito being able to play in the beta test really gave him a huge advantage, allowing him to make mistakes and learn from them and having prior knowledge of the mobs/attack patterns/quests/etc work. That is basically the advantage Kirito had going into the SAO launch. He died a bunch in the beta test (basically Diablo softcore/normal) honing combat skills/reflexes and that really helped him big time when it became D3 Hardcore mode with 10k people.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 16:27   Link #122
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
Even with boss fights they can still use the teleport crystals, like the one he gave Silica, to warp to a safe zone. Except in rare situations, like what happened in RNR.

I do wonder when the port crystals started showing up though. Before floor 20, 10, 5? I imagine it would be sold by vendors, as player demand would be enormous. Would be the one of the best money sinks in-game. With enough col you could probably teleport everywhere

If it was anything like D3 HC, Kirito being able to play in the beta test really gave him a huge advantage, allowing him to make mistakes and learn from them and having prior knowledge of the mobs/attack patterns/quests/etc work. That is basically the advantage Kirito had going into the SAO launch. He died a bunch in the beta test (basically Diablo softcore/normal) honing combat skills/reflexes and that really helped him big time when it became D3 Hardcore mode with 10k people.
Yep, except based on your example .. the game is designed to not let you use teleport crystals in trap situations where you'd MOST want to use them! Sneaky jerks!

The more I think about it, the more I want someone to create it. An MMORPG where the bosses and difficulties are designed with the "life preservation #1" as the intent.

The bosses in WoW or other MMORPGS are DESIGNED to wipe you unless you do everything precisely, ie. "Stand there" "Jump now" "Team Comp must be X, Y & Z".

The flip side is, for a game DESIGNED to be hardcore mode from the beginning, is to design encounters that wipe you ONLY if you're careless. You could also send in heavily equipped scouting parties to check out boss abilities and teleport out afterwards!
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 16:36   Link #123
styr

The lack of magic really limited the difficulty of SAO, I think. With everyone using a melee weapon of some sort tactics would be simple. Imagine a patchwerk type fight in SAO? Would be crazy, but only possible if they had healers. Same thing with range weapons, wtf were you thinking Kayaba?
Old 2012-08-03, 16:37   Link #124
Deathrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
by 2022 i suspect internet connections will t3 or better and drives will be gaseous or liquid base and hold a couple of hundred TB.
I thought we were talking talking about a SAO game being released within the next 3 years ? But just not with the VR setting.

Geez. The more I think about the idea the more I want it!
Deathrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 16:39   Link #125
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
I thought we were talking talking about a SAO game being released within the next 3 years ? But just not with the VR setting.

Geez. The more I think about the idea the more I want it!
without the vr graphics why would it need 80gb?
Old 2012-08-03, 16:42   Link #126
Deathrip

Hundred floors with a main city in each. Take Aion for example which is 16 GB and only has two major towns with three major "continents". ( I'm talking about Aion pre-Balaurea for who ever knows the game )

I assume that if they make it graphic wise up to date it would take waaay more than 80 GB.
Old 2012-08-03, 16:48   Link #127
Tenza-Zangetsu

yeah, I'm guessing that the entire SAO game probably a couple terabytes, like 10 or so
Tenza-Zangetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 16:51   Link #128
Deathrip

Depending on how big they would make each labyrinth. But this game won't be released for another 10 years I believe. Maybe it will since technology has been going with rocket speed these last few years.
Old 2012-08-03, 18:07   Link #129
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrip View Post
Hundred floors with a main city in each. Take Aion for example which is 16 GB and only has two major towns with three major "continents". ( I'm talking about Aion pre-Balaurea for who ever knows the game )

I assume that if they make it graphic wise up to date it would take waaay more than 80 GB.
I don't want to post any LN spoilers, but there are very few "cities" in terms of large size. I would guess at less than 10 that are somewhat comparable to the Starting City in size or population. Most towns in Aincrad are villages, hamlets, and other small population communities.

I believe the Starting City is the largest (1km diameter) and most populated city only for the fact that so many players refused to leave.

Until the first floor got cleared, I imagine it was very dangerous for players having nearly 10k players cooped up in a 10k wide area. With only one floor's worth of quests and the max amount of players around, the likelihood of running across others would be the highest. When more floors began to unlock the player-base would spread out naturally. This would reduce the chance of coming across other players significantly. That first month must've been quite dangerous for solo player like Kirito.
Old 2012-08-03, 19:39   Link #130
Deathrip

Okay let's say that not every floor has a big city, wouldn't the labyrinths still be as big or bigger than the previous one ( I'm sure the LN never stated that the stages got smaller and this aint a spoiler right ._.?)? I've been talking about big towns but towns are actually small compared to training areas, except that they're usually the most detailed.
Old 2012-08-03, 19:57   Link #131
styr

Well, the castle is cone shaped so the floors do get smaller the further up they go. I imagine each dungeon tower thing would be the same size. Each dungeon tower was 20 floors, with a dungeon boss blocking the door to next floor on the last level. Episode 2 showed the boss fight only, in Aria
Spoiler for LN Aria spoiler relating to ep2:
Old 2012-08-04, 21:54   Link #132
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by styr View Post
Well, the castle is cone shaped so the floors do get smaller the further up they go. I imagine each dungeon tower thing would be the same size. Each dungeon tower was 20 floors, with a dungeon boss blocking the door to next floor on the last level. Episode 2 showed the boss fight only, in Aria
Spoiler for LN Aria spoiler relating to ep2:
Spoiler:
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 22:04   Link #133
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenza-Zangetsu View Post
yeah, I'm guessing that the entire SAO game probably a couple terabytes, like 10 or so
Talk about the Fast internet connection that is A MUST!!!! 1-2GB per sec!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-04, 23:35   Link #134
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Talk about the Fast internet connection that is A MUST!!!! 1-2GB per sec!!!!
or when you buy the game, you don't buy a disc but a hard drive with game on it.
Old 2012-08-05, 00:23   Link #135
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
or when you buy the game, you don't buy a disc but a hard drive with game on it.
...oh.. the power supply too... damn
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 01:36   Link #136
n120cky

In SOA the hard thing is it's created as close as possible with RL, that's mean we must think a lot of factor for the survival within the game,I'll only go for two factor which is war(between player and boss) and social (inter-relationship between player). I try to keep it short

War
This maybe the main factor for the whole issue, as their goal is to defeat the last boss, to be able to logout, to address this problem first they will need a good hierarchal of army force, so their fighting with boss can be more ordered. What I mean of army force is not just a bunch of guild that take part of the war, but also a clear voice in command. Well you could say an 'Alliance'.

Social
This is maybe most commonly missed, but this also a important factor, one of it's issue is about criminal. There for we need a security force for this factor, it's more like police in RL, So that the community is still in order.

The whole point of my strategy is create a full colony (country) of all player trapped, the colony will create a hierarchal order so that, it can guide all player to keep it in order whether it's military / civil . In short it's like beat the system with a system.
n120cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 20:50   Link #137
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

If the situation was exactly like SAO, I'd sit on the first floor and enjoy life until a hyper type-A personality had cleared the 100th floor, freeing everyone.

It's not every day you're given the chance to vacation in a fantasy setting devoid of any responsibilities beyond killing a few wolves so you can afford rent and beer at your local tavern after all!
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 23:41   Link #138
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
I would never spec as a tank, since when it comes to fighting a raid boss, I'd be the first to die. I would sacrifice myself to protect my friends, but not strangers. Which is a shame, in most MMO's I usually play the tanker and I'm very comfortable and familiar with the role. It's a different story when my life is at risk.

Now I'm a person who is watching SAO without any LN knowledge or anything, so I'm not sure exactly what "spec" he is, but he seems, at least from the first few episodes, to be an almost semi-tank duelist build, since he seems to have a lot of deflect abilities. That would be quite a good solo spec - you could protect yourself and still deal damage comfortably.

I, however, would make myself a utility. I imagine this would be quite popular, a lot of people would become smiths and crafters so I would probably go for something still useful, but less thought of. I'd need to know what kind of skills were in the game, but I imagine "cook" would be a good one - everyone needs a cook. Perhaps a Priest for all the in-game marriages that would be bound to happen.

So yeah, in short, I don't think I'd fight on the front lines, but if I did it would be with subtle weapons like Daggers, so I could fight off people attempting to PK me in closed-in places. I would find a utility role in a guild, and make myself as indispensable as possible. To get to that point, I would do odd jobs for the front liners and make friends in as many high places as possible. If all goes well, I'd like to aim for a comfortable position as a merchant with enough connections to make a profit.
Old 2012-08-06, 01:58   Link #139
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Odds are that in this case you're buying a specialized computer system.

The problem with a ranged class (and I lean toward those myself in MMOs) is that a well trained archer (and all archers in MMOs should be considered well trained) is going to have an effective kill range at least the length of a football field. I've played MMOs where bow range was rather lacking, in fact, I could probably throw rocks further....

Last edited by lightsenshi; 2012-08-06 at 02:59.
lightsenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 01:51   Link #140
Calca
Expressionless

Ya I've decided. I would love to in a situation like this become a very high level and powerful character and hunt PKers.

I have no tolerance for those who murder for fun. Of course at the same time I'm not naive enough to think I can just bolt ahead of everyone and get to a tier above those PKers but I would definitely do my utmost to do so.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote