AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-12, 10:20   Link #1
Dains11

Some kind of action/shounen?

I'm looking for a good anime to watch with my friend over spring break, neither of us are much into the romantic or pure comedy theme's. I enjoy some shounen types such as:
Kenshin (sam x as well)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach
Prince of Tennis
Getbackers
Naruto

But I also LOVE:
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Hikaru No Go
Gundam Seed
Outlaw Star
Berserk
Fullmetal Alchemist
Samurai 7

Now, I enjoy the long series, however I feel that the anime's that are shorter often times tell a better overall story and have a more distinct theme.
That being said I would enjoy a 26episode series because I could knock that out in a week, and if its licensed thats fine because I'll just go to bestbuy or online.

I am not adverse to something a little older, it doesn't have to be bran new.

Please all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dain
Old 2007-03-12, 11:00   Link #2
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Black Lagoon - action
Black Cat - action/adventure
Utawarerumono - adventure/drama/action/hint of romance
Scrapped Princess - action/adventure/fantasy
Erementar Gerad - fantasy/adventure/romance
Shakugan no Shana - fantasy/romance
Mai-HiME - action/fantasy/bit of romance
Elfen Lied - very graphic violence, has nudity and blood(lots). - Action/horror/drama/SciFi
Fate/Stay night - action/drama/fantasy/bit of romance
Crest of the Stars (and all its sequels) - action/SciFi/adventure/romance. My personal no1 anime.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - horror/mystery. My 2nd favorite anime
Code Geass (ongoing) - mecha/action
Death Note (ongoing) - detective/mystery
Soukou no Strain - action/mecha/drama
Gantz - action/horror. Has some pretty gory scenes.
Old 2007-03-12, 11:00   Link #3
H-man
3rd year Otaku

Location: Hmm...: Bollnäs, Sweden; Sundsvall, Sweden; Edsbro, Sweden and a couple of places in Texas, USA
Send a message via MSN to H-man
Lis of what you should see:
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gundam SEED Destiny
Appelseed (Movie)
Gundam Wing + The movie: Endless Walz
FLCL
(Quack Experimental Series) Excel Saga
Melody of Oblivion
Read or Die
Tenjou Tenge
AND MORE!

Why? They fit Shonen and Action well. Now, have a nice Spring Break Make sure you watch all (^_^)
Old 2007-03-12, 11:39   Link #4
Question
Crossdresser

I wouldnt recommend watching gundam seed or gundam seed destiny unless you want to see the definition of "plot device" or "Jesus Yamato" in action. Also, whiney, angsty, emo heroes with way too much piloting skill(despite being goddamn TEENAGERS) and in possession of giant mecha that probably costs the price of a small country, and a small army of enemy mecha with storm trooper syndrome. Also massive re-using of past footage all the way back from the first gundam series.

Seriously.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-12, 15:10   Link #5
Dains11

Thank you guys for your advice,
Crest of the Stars seems to be really popular around here, I'll check that out. Also Death Note is awesome from the episode I just watched, and Gantz has interested me in the past so I may revisit it. Code Geass looks cool.

A question I have is: is One Piece good? It seems amazingly popular with so many episodes that it seems daunting for me to try to begin it. I saw the first episode and it seemed very childish, is this something for younger people (im 18) or does it get better?

Also for Read or Die, I noticed there are OVA's as well as episodes, which should I watch/start with?
Gundam Seed Destiny seems obvious, I forgot there was a sequel to Gundam Seed. *Question* I see where you're coming from on GS, but I watched it and enjoyed it
I've heard Gundam Seed is the best Gundam series, if this is true I almost don't want to watch wing?

Finally, I've also heard Flame of Recca is pretty good...any opinions on that?

Thanks everyone for the help, now I feel like I have a good bunch of titles to enjoy!

Last edited by Dains11; 2007-03-12 at 15:29.
Old 2007-03-12, 15:43   Link #6
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dains11 View Post
A question I have is: is One Piece good? It seems amazingly popular with so many episodes that it seems daunting for me to try to begin it. I saw the first episode and it seemed very childish, is this something for younger people (im 18) or does it get better?

Also for Read or Die, I noticed there are OVA's as well as episodes, which should I watch/start with?

Finally, I've also heard Flame of Recca is pretty good...any opinions on that?

Thanks everyone for the help, now I feel like I have a good bunch of titles to enjoy!
One Piece isnt just good it's great...Unfortunatley the english dub has ruined the series for all-time so you have to watch the Japanese version to understand how good it is...What's so great is that it's an adventure morso than anything and it has what I find to be the most creative fighting scenerios in this curent genre...It starts off slow, but kicks into gear and is far from childish in it's violence and themes at times....

Flame of Recca was my pillow when I finished watching Yu Yu Hakusho...I was a little depressed that great anime was over and someone suggested Recca as a get-over anime....Well it was because it was alomst just like Yu Yu all the way down to the character designs...It has great action all in a tournament-style affair....

As for Read or Die, I watched the OVA, then I watched the series and it all made sense to me....The Ova happens first anyways as the series isn't about the main character from the OVA (But she does join the cast in the final arc)...

Quote:
Gundam Seed Destiny seems obvious, I forgot there was a sequel to Gundam Seed. *Question* I see where you're coming from on GS, but I watched it and enjoyed it
I've heard Gundam Seed is the best Gundam series, if this is true I almost don't want to watch wing?
I hate to shatter your glass-world but whoever told you that needs to be spanked...Obviously GundamSEED is enjoyable IMO, but take it from someone whose seen every Gundam series and let me tell you you need to watch a few more of them before making any claim...Now you may be the type of person whose gonna chose 2005 animation over the older stuff but in-terms of story and realism there are several G-series that fit the bill (I'll explain more if you want more explained)...as for Gundam Seed Destiny, it's the single most dissapointing work I've ever experienced in the history of literature, not anime, but literature...AGAIN i HAVE NO IDEA IF YOU ARE THE TYPE OF PERSON THAT CARES ABOUT SERIOUS FLAWS IN A WORK AS LONG AS YOU GET FANBOY THINGS AND DECENT ANIMATION...

Now Gundam Wing has it's own wing of detractors aswell, but as a starter G-series I think it's pretty good, with lots of action, and great bravado and rhetoric (something very important to me).. I'd never advocate not watching one G-series because you "heard" another one was better...
Old 2007-03-12, 16:03   Link #7
Dains11

Ok I respect that WingDarkness, and btw YUYU is freaking amazing and one of my favorite anime's as well!
Old 2007-03-13, 02:01   Link #8
hermadelion

One piece is one of my favourite series as well. I started out watching only 1 episode at first and got a "kiddy" impression as well so i didnt watch any more. Later on i was told that the story gets a lot more interesting so i decided to give it another shot and watch some more episodes. Finally, i got hooked around episode 14 or 15 and the story/action only gets better from there. 299 episodes.

and if you liked Naruto and Bleach you would most likely like Hunter x Hunter as well. around 100 episodes i think with ovas and everthing combined.

Full Metal Panic is also very good. funny and the action is good as well. this is mecha

You could try Black Lagoon and Gungrave if you want a short series (around 25 episodes)

Hajime no Ippo is also pretty good. i just watched this recently and it is really funny. its about a wimp who decides to become a boxer. action is good imo and not really that far fetched from reality.
Old 2007-03-13, 06:13   Link #9
chaz017
Senior Member...ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Black Lagoon - action
Black Cat - action/adventure
Utawarerumono - adventure/drama/action/hint of romance
Scrapped Princess - action/adventure/fantasy
Erementar Gerad - fantasy/adventure/romance
Shakugan no Shana - fantasy/romance
Mai-HiME - action/fantasy/bit of romance
Elfen Lied - very graphic violence, has nudity and blood(lots). - Action/horror/drama/SciFi
Fate/Stay night - action/drama/fantasy/bit of romance
Crest of the Stars (and all its sequels) - action/SciFi/adventure/romance. My personal no1 anime.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - horror/mystery. My 2nd favorite anime
Code Geass (ongoing) - mecha/action
Death Note (ongoing) - detective/mystery
Soukou no Strain - action/mecha/drama
Gantz - action/horror. Has some pretty gory scenes.
I'll agree with some of these...well almost all of them really. Except Gantz...I refuse to agree with you on Gantz. lol. I'll also concur with H-man on Read or Die, Tenjou Tenge, and FLCL. All very good.

As for One Piece goes, it continues to feel somewhat childish throughout but is still a quality anime overall. Personally, I don't particularly find it good enough to watch the rather daunting entirety of the series. I'd recommend watching at least a few episodes to see if you like it though. I never base my opinion off of one episode. I haven't seen Flames of Recca so I can't give you any honest opinion on it.

Last edited by chaz017; 2007-03-13 at 06:23.
Old 2007-03-13, 13:37   Link #10
Dains11

Thanks guys, I've actually heard alot of good things about Hunter X Hunter. Full Metal Panic seems to be a big one as well...these are all great titles. I think what I'll do is knock out some of these shorter anime's and then work on the bigger ones.
Closed Thread