AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

View Poll Results: New Naming Scheme
Yes, change to Title - ## [Group][CRC] 19 39.58%
No, keep as [Group] Title - ## [CRC] 29 60.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-12-12, 03:56   Link #1
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to blakbunnie27 Send a message via MSN to blakbunnie27
New Naming Scheme for Releases

The current naming scheme for releases is:
[Fansub name]Series Title - ep number [CRC value].video format
or something like that, right?

With the current naming scheme, when an anime series is taken from two or more fansub groups, the order of the episode can go out of whack. Of course, everyone tries to complete a series from one fansub group, but when the group you have been pursuing drops the series for some sort of reason, like legal issues or just solely out of interest, that becomes impossible. And we could of course rename each episode to the format we prefer individually, if you are going to seed a torrent or do something of the sort, the file name differences can become fairly annoying.

My proposal: Change the naming scheme for new series (not the already airing and subbed ones) to:
Series Title - ep number [Fansub Name][CRC Value].video format.
or something like that for improved organization.

Some may say that changing a tradition type thing is bad, but if following the tradition is a poor way of doing something, why not improve it? What are other people's opinion on this?
Old 2008-12-12, 04:29   Link #2
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

There is no official naming scheme for fansubs.. Hell, there have been many releases that had the format you described, and many different ones. We don't have "scene rules" or something, we just do what we want :> Personally, I always sort by "date modified", so no problems here (and I delete episodes when disk gets full).
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 04:44   Link #3
Eej
wat
*Fansubber

I say we go full scene and just go with:

Gundam_00_S02E10_HDTV_H264-gSS
Eej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 04:45   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'd suggest that you just get a program that can mass rename files, like I did. That way you can have your filenames be in any format you like.

Just for the record, Flash Renamer is worth every penny. I've got a preset sequence of rename functions that will convert darn near any anime filename into a sequential naming schema. I just run all my anime files through the program this way.

Quote:
1. Replace _ with
(replace all underlines with spaces)
2. Regular expression Replace (^[\(\{\[].+?[\)\}\]])(.+) with $2 $1
(This will find a group's name as long as they are bracketed with [], () or {} and move them to the end)
3. Trim Spaces
(That does exactly what you think)
Voila! The files are renamed quite conveniently.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 04:47   Link #5
ilifin
fishy

Send a message via AIM to ilifin Send a message via MSN to ilifin
Since there's no centralized place for anything related the non-existant "fansubber scene", and that we're pretty much not underground at all, even attempting to make out a consensus for how to name episodes is moot. If we could come to agreement on things like that, why can't you stop people from subbing the same shows first?

Fansubbing is like swinging your dicks at one another to see which is bigger, one doesn't come to any level of agreement with dickery.
ilifin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 04:56   Link #6
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Easily renaming is quite fine and all, but most torrents are created w/ the original fansub released name, and having to have to deal with your own files being named differently from the torrent files is what becomes an annoyance.

And this fansubbing thing's like communism. So can't we all just get along (w/ competition for quality's sake)?
Old 2008-12-12, 05:02   Link #7
cyth
Banned

I like communism. It makes my heart flutter.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 05:10   Link #8
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbunnie27 View Post
And this fansubbing thing's like communism. So can't we all just get along (w/ competition for quality's sake)?

You obviously don't watch speedsubs...

As with anything in fansubbing, this all comes down to preference. If the current "standard" has become largely followed, then it's more because people liked the aesthetics of it than anything else. As the old proverb goes: there are no standards in fansubbing.

EDIT: emboldened to help understanding.

Last edited by False Dawn; 2008-12-12 at 05:29.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 05:11   Link #9
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
You obviously don't watch speedsubs...

As with anything in fansubbing, this all comes down to preference. If the current "standard" has become largely followed, then it's more because people liked the aesthetics of it than anything else. As the old proverb goes: there are no standards in fansubbing.
I don't quite understand how my post leads to me not watching speedsubs. Care to explain?
Old 2008-12-12, 05:30   Link #10
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Competition comes in many forms within the confines of fansubbing. Unfortunately, quality is one of the lesser fought battles
Old 2008-12-12, 05:45   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

poll lacks a "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" option

edit for content: no seriously, there have been discussions about various "fansubbing standards" before and the conclusion is pretty much always that a) it's a terrible idea and b) unless fansubbing suddenly turns into a very small closed circle of elitist jerks, only a small percentage would ever care about the "standard" so it's pointless anyway
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-12, 05:46   Link #12
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Competition comes in many forms within the confines of fansubbing. Unfortunately, quality is one of the lesser fought battles
What I meant in competition was that monopolizing a product is bad. And quality also accounts the speed in which they're released (at least in my opinion, they should). So my "competition for the sake of quality" meant that more than one group working on the same series shouldn't be called "showing off one's e-penis (or w/e it is)" but rather to keep each fansub group in check to not laze off.

Even if some groups say "we do not care about which group the leechers watch from, and blah blah blah," they give you a method of downloading because they want you to watch their work and effort they have put in and to appreciate. With competition, releases come out quicker than without (I'm pretty sure) because quicker releases means more people will watch them. Just about no one will watch a release that is a month old if there was an alternate version of it earlier. However, even if another group releases first, as long as your release is closely behind them, depending on quality, people will pick your release.

Although my explanation doesn't really make sense at all, when I said "quality's sake" I was not excluding speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
poll lacks a "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" option
Hmm, I don't know how to edit the poll. Is there a way to do that?
Old 2008-12-12, 05:52   Link #13
TheFluff

why are you even discussing standardizing something that is as trivial to change as filenames anyway, I mean there is at least a clear and sensible logic (that I of course disagree with) in trying to standardize encoding parameters because it's annoying to have to reencode stuff, but this standardization attempt reeks of bureaucracy and uniformity for uniformity's sake
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-12-12, 05:58   Link #14
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
why are you even discussing standardizing something that is as trivial to change as filenames anyway, I mean there is at least a clear and sensible logic (that I of course disagree with) in trying to standardize encoding parameters because it's annoying to have to reencode stuff, but this standardization attempt reeks of bureaucracy and uniformity for uniformity's sake
Actually, it's just for my lazy self's sake that I want to do this, because I like organizing my files according to file name and I like to leave the file names as they were released so that I won't have to do any extra configuration when I'm seeding a torrent or something. So I'm talking with the core of my problem. It can't be that difficult of a change, so I don't understand why it won't happen.
Old 2008-12-12, 06:16   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
...I mean there is at least a clear and sensible logic (that I of course disagree with) in trying to standardize encoding parameters because it's annoying to have to reencode stuff, but this standardization attempt reeks of bureaucracy and uniformity for uniformity's sake
I want DXVA support in fluffy encodes! :}

as if
Old 2008-12-12, 06:25   Link #16
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
It can't be that difficult of a change, so I don't understand why it won't happen.

Technically speaking, no, it's an easy change to implement. But at the same time, it's a case of "why should we?" Even if you get over that barrier, you still have the issue that fansubbing isn't one autonomous mass - meaning, even if one or two groups do it, it doesn't guarantee that all of them will. If you want a case in point, look at the spread of .avi and .mkv releases. Some groups are solely .mkv, some groups refuse to release .mkvs - and no matter how much you bitch at either section, you probably won't get them to go one way or the other.
Old 2008-12-12, 06:36   Link #17
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
I want DXVA support in fluffy encodes! :}
I believe in making people complain about bugs or missing features, that's the only way to get things fixed >:]

Old 2008-12-12, 06:40   Link #18
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Technically speaking, no, it's an easy change to implement. But at the same time, it's a case of "why should we?" Even if you get over that barrier, you still have the issue that fansubbing isn't one autonomous mass - meaning, even if one or two groups do it, it doesn't guarantee that all of them will. If you want a case in point, look at the spread of .avi and .mkv releases. Some groups are solely .mkv, some groups refuse to release .mkvs - and no matter how much you bitch at either section, you probably won't get them to go one way or the other.
I personally like .mkv, but .avi also has their advantages (I think?). Like DVD players support .avi and not .mkv or something like that. Also because some people have computers that aren't powerful enough for .mkv (I think this was another reason). So as technology improves and .mkv files become compatible with DVD players, people who prefer to watch anime on T.V using their DVD players will stop bitching about .mkv releases. Once technology improves even further, the prices for computers powerful enough for .mkv (like what, 1 GB of RAM and 1.8 GHz?) will become affordable to grade schoolers, those who are technologically and economically disabled will stop complaining. Clearly .mkv is a superior format with softsub implementation, so as time goes by and less people start to download .avi, fansub groups will go one way and the only way. This is just a timely thing.

This change, however, ignores all that factors for picking one over the other as the case with .avi vs .mkv. Any one's computer is powerful enough to adjust to the change in the placement of the fansub group (I mean does that really change the codec decoding speed?), and DVD players will still play files that are named differently. So this change can't really be compared with the .avi and .mkv change. So if it's a small and easy change, and unless people are not in favor with the way fansub group is placed behind the episode title and number, why make a big argument? Unless of course, people hate me or something.

And because even if one or two groups change the naming scheme, it doesn't mean all of them will and it's completely meaningless if that's the case, I'm proposing that we uniformly change it, if we are changing it, on this widely known forum by the fansubbers. Unless people don't like to cooperate either.
Old 2008-12-12, 06:48   Link #19
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
And because even if one or two groups change the naming scheme, it doesn't mean all of them will and it's completely meaningless if that's the case, I'm proposing that we uniformly change it, if we are changing it, on this widely known forum by the fansubbers. Unless people don't like to cooperate either.
You need to try reading what people write more carefully. Fansubbing is not uniform, and probably never will be. You'd never manage to get everyone to change the way they do things like you like it. I think having a "Fansubber" tag stuck under your nickname should point that you would be aware of that... but seems like not. It's pretty obvious once you enter the scene.
Old 2008-12-12, 06:53   Link #20
blakbunnie27
Translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Fansubbing is not uniform, and probably never will be.
Yes, I quite firmly understand that it's not uniform, but the naming scheme for all the releases is in fact uniform, or at least very close to it. I have never seen a fansub group release their release with the name scheme other than [group name]title - ## [crc].video. Or something close to that, with the group name in front. Maybe it is just that I haven't seen enough anime or something, but if you can find an odd ball release that uses a different naming scheme, please direct me there.