AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-03, 17:03   Link #801
tsunade666

If you know the age of the author that might give you a hint. Knowing when it starts its around 14/15 or so they say. And personally I like the way that their is always something new rather than the same old face again and again. And about touma well all I can say is his the type that's good with the reality and really bad with studying and you can't deny that their are people like him. Their are somewhat smart but perform poorly academically. And besides his a delinquent it just fits him.
Old 2009-11-03, 17:35   Link #802
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post

2) This is a bit personal, but if Touma is able to hide his memory wipe from basically everyone, he's actually pretty intelligent. So why is he so dumb on so many other things?
The only things I've really seen Touma be stupid on is Schoolwork, possibly because of his memory loss, and others' feelings. Though it could be he just doesn't care; in that skit with Index lying on his bed half-dressed and his nose-bleeding, he was obviously aware Index wanted him to say he felt something after he retorted that he didn't feel anything from it, as he quickly changed it to the opposite. Didn't help him much in the end.

Though, I do agree with the part that the author should of built a little more on the memory wipe. Like I mentioned earlier, how is he even able to cope with schoolwork? I can understand being still able to read and talk, as those are done on a daily basis get more-or-less programmed. To even be able to keep up in school would mean he has good understanding, to be able to catch up quickly. Then again, maybe he's just flunking.
Old 2009-11-03, 17:43   Link #803
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
2) This is a bit personal, but if Touma is able to hide his memory wipe from basically everyone, he's actually pretty intelligent. So why is he so dumb on so many other things?
Supposedly he's "dumb" because he can't develop any esper powers even after going through lots and lots of tiring himself with the esper-in-the-making curriculum, I suppose he's already fed up.

There's also some other proofs he's actually pretty intelligent as how you would've said:

- Figuring out how an opponent's power and attack pattern is not easy, once he figures it out things went pretty much very easy for him.
- Even as he lost his memory he was able to recognize the people he met before his memory was lost, albeit with very little knowledge on who they might be yet managed to play along as if he had met them before, thus raising little suspicion that he actually lost his memories.
- He claims to "know of many esper abilities" and his first encounter with Misaka Mikoto seems to prove this a little as he immediately knew how strong Mikoto was.
- He was able to construct a theory on how the Level 6 experiment can be cancelled, although his solution was either too straightforward or just plain reckless: have the Level 5 be beaten up by a Level 0.

On some other stuff it's either his "Such Misfortune" tagline or that he's just too dense.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2009-11-03, 19:13   Link #804
Used Can

I wonder if Tōma losing his memories actually served any purpose. I've seen some people theorise he knew the full extent of his power, but even that would feel horrible in terms of development. As in "Holy shit, I remember everything: Imagine Breaker Maximum XXX!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
in that skit with Index lying on his bed half-dressed and his nose-bleeding, he was obviously aware Index wanted him to say he felt something after he retorted that he didn't feel anything from it, as he quickly changed it to the opposite.
What? When did that happen?
Old 2009-11-03, 20:21   Link #805
Siegfridus
Tlacuilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Thats from the volume 12, between the lines 4...
What can I say? Somehow I have the feeling that Sasha is going to be impregnated Who is going to assume the responsability????Lets blame Touma, oh yaaay---!!!
I was quite amazed also when I read that part yesterday. But then i remembered what happened to Kiyama Harumi in Railgun, whereas having too much "power" of other users (Multi-Ability) she...somewhat gives birth to that abyssal spawn of a fetus. Because, you know,she had TOO much power in her body.

Perhaps (I hope) it's the same situation with Sasha
Old 2009-11-03, 20:27   Link #806
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I wonder if Tōma losing his memories actually served any purpose. I've seen some people theorise he knew the full extent of his power, but even that would feel horrible in terms of development. As in "Holy shit, I remember everything: Imagine Breaker Maximum XXX!".

Beginning of the fifth novel and fifth manga volume, can't be arsed to find out which anime episode.
Old 2009-11-03, 20:45   Link #807
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:

The Mikoto date episode, whichever one that is.
Old 2009-11-04, 04:47   Link #808
LockeManuel

Quote:
Beginning of the fifth novel and fifth manga volume, can't be arsed to find out which anime episode.
Episode 18
Old 2009-11-05, 10:19   Link #809
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
The only things I've really seen Touma be stupid on is Schoolwork, possibly because of his memory loss, and others' feelings. Though it could be he just doesn't care; in that skit with Index lying on his bed half-dressed and his nose-bleeding, he was obviously aware Index wanted him to say he felt something after he retorted that he didn't feel anything from it, as he quickly changed it to the opposite. Didn't help him much in the end.

Though, I do agree with the part that the author should of built a little more on the memory wipe. Like I mentioned earlier, how is he even able to cope with schoolwork? I can understand being still able to read and talk, as those are done on a daily basis get more-or-less programmed. To even be able to keep up in school would mean he has good understanding, to be able to catch up quickly. Then again, maybe he's just flunking.
You do realize stock memories are different from episode memories. Heck this was explained in the first volume.
Old 2009-11-05, 11:48   Link #810
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
You do realize stock memories are different from episode memories. Heck this was explained in the first volume.
Yeah, looks like some people don't want to hear the obvious things, maybe they know a lot about braincells
Old 2009-11-05, 19:37   Link #811
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
If you know the age of the author that might give you a hint. Knowing when it starts its around 14/15 or so they say.
I would like sources for this. The only thing I can find is in the Chinese (?!) Wikipedia, which states that this has been debunked in an interview (also unsourced).

Quote:
I doubt that he does. In Railgun he himself admitted (I doubt he lied) that he had no idea and he is branded a Level 0.

Even so, it didn't make sense even as a one-shot that he should have his memories erased. I mean...then what? It's not a happy ending, it's not a sad ending either, and worse, it's also not really anything in between. It just happened.

All I'm concerned about is now that there is a memory wipe, I wish the novels would elaborate on how he dealt with it instead of making passing mentions every now and then.
Old 2009-11-05, 22:10   Link #812
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:

All I'm concerned about is now that there is a memory wipe, I wish the novels would elaborate on how he dealt with it instead of making passing mentions every now and then.
With the memory wipe Touma doesn't consider himself the same person anymore. Which is bother as he has to pretend to his old acquaintances.

Even Biribiri who chased him for months didn't notice a change.

Which makes me wonder how would Touma react if he had an old ex-girlfriend that shows up.

Imagine the chaos it would bring from the girls in love with him.
Old 2009-11-05, 23:31   Link #813
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
With the memory wipe Touma doesn't consider himself the same person anymore. Which is bother as he has to pretend to his old acquaintances.
He already said that he should receive an Oscar for his actuation

Quote:
Which makes me wonder how would Touma react if he had an old ex-girlfriend that shows up.

Imagine the chaos it would bring from the girls in love with him.
Or even worse how would he act if that girl is a childhood (girl)friend O_O???
Old 2009-11-06, 00:02   Link #814
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:

Even Biribiri who chased him for months didn't notice a change.
Right, I was wondering what his thought processes are when he does this, if at least for the first few days.

Quote:
About the same way as he would with his family, I'd bet. He knows he used to care a lot about them, but he has no idea what happened.

(As if his sort of luck would allow him an ex-girlfriend. Just look at how much of a novice he is with females.)
Old 2009-11-06, 03:01   Link #815
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Someone completely unlike any of the powerful girls so far. Someone meek, shy, yet far more determined and true to herself than anyone in the cast so far. Maybe this girl is also cursed in a way, that whoever she confesses to and accepts her feelings will suffer a terrible fate.

Knowing his chivalrous self, Touma and this girl probably had been classmates or something, then he saves her and stuff builds up and then she actually confesses in his face. However, when she does, a pot lands on his head and gives him a concussion, and also giving birth to his Imagine Breaker ability.

After that, because of his luck getting worse, they've never met each other again... until she tracks him down in Academy City! By then, he'd be trying to hide her from his harem and trying desperately to remember who the hell she was. Such is the misfortune in the fortune!

That might actually work...
Old 2009-11-06, 07:02   Link #816
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Someone completely unlike any of the powerful girls so far. Someone meek, shy, yet far more determined and true to herself than anyone in the cast so far. Maybe this girl is also cursed in a way, that whoever she confesses to and accepts her feelings will suffer a terrible fate.

Knowing his chivalrous self, Touma and this girl probably had been classmates or something, then he saves her and stuff builds up and then she actually confesses in his face. However, when she does, a pot lands on his head and gives him a concussion, and also giving birth to his Imagine Breaker ability.

After that, because of his luck getting worse, they've never met each other again... until she tracks him down in Academy City! By then, he'd be trying to hide her from his harem and trying desperately to remember who the hell she was. Such is the misfortune in the fortune!

That might actually work...
Sounds like a fanfic , nice.
Old 2009-11-06, 13:10   Link #817
LastResolve

rofl they kind of overdo it touma has too much fan girls
btw guyz since i cant find anywhere to read the light novel
can anyone tell me is accelarator getter healed or is he just being able to mantain as an esper for some point without having any progress or any chance to progress
also if he can keep it up for 15 mins it means 15 mins a day or with short breaks?
Old 2009-11-06, 16:40   Link #818
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
rofl they kind of overdo it touma has too much fan girls
btw guyz since i cant find anywhere to read the light novel
can anyone tell me is accelarator getter healed or is he just being able to mantain as an esper for some point without having any progress or any chance to progress
also if he can keep it up for 15 mins it means 15 mins a day or with short breaks?
For answers read the vol12 in bakatsuki site.
Old 2009-11-06, 17:42   Link #819
LastResolve

plx can you give me a full link cuz i am whiling to read a lot about this
Old 2009-11-06, 18:04   Link #820
Miraluka
Banned

If you want to know about Accelerator life read since this chapter
Since
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen