AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-07, 10:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 656 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Wooo! An early spoiler this week! So as I'm sure you all know by now, Luffy and co. just started a new adventure in an island known as Punk Hazard, where they encounter a creature that was only known to exist in fairy tales..... a dragon. What will become of this fateful encounter? Well, let's find out! Credit goes to ohana for the spoiler and CCC from APforums for translation:

-Chapter title is "Adventure on the Burning Island". Ministory has Iceburg with Pauly and the other shipwrights, as well as the sea train.

-Luffy and co. fight against the dragon. During the fight, the monster asks them if they're friends with a certain Shichibukai. Luffy agrees to help Zoro finish off the dragon, and discovers that there's a person stuck to its head, who was actually the one talking. Both Luffy and Usopp then distract it, and Zoro finally slays it with a powerful single-blade technique.....

-Back at the Sunny, Sanji is bringing some food for the rest of the crew, but discovers that they all passed out from sleeping gas. The chef himself soon succumbs to the gas as well, and some strangers in gas masks appear. They count 4 pirates, and decide to capture them to give to their master (known as "M" at this point) as tribute. However, it seems that they failed to notice Brooke....

-Back to Luffy's group, they pull out the person who was stuck to the dragon's head, but..... it turns out to be the lower half of a person's body! The group thinks the half-person is a ghost or zombie, and the lower half then runs off, cursing the shichibukai he mentioned earlier. Luffy then shouts for the lower half to join his crew!

Wow.... this is quite a bizarre chapter. A fun one too, at that! This is reminding me a lot of how Thriller Bark began, actually. So apparently a warlord is the leader of those samurai? And somehow a person who's only a lower half of a body emerged from the dragon (who Luffy wants to make his next nakama?). It's amazing how crazy things are getting already. I most certainly can't wait for the full chapter's release.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-02-07 at 10:53.
Old 2012-02-07, 12:27   Link #2
james0246

Looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the visual of the person attached to the dragon

(Best part of the chapter so far (after the dragon and the man are seperated):
Usopp: So you were just a lower half from the start? Awfully big...
Luffy: That's a pretty personal question!").
Old 2012-02-07, 12:55   Link #3
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The mention of a separated lower-half of a body and Shichibukai kind of brings to mind a certain greedy pirate clown we're all familiar with.

Of course there's no guarantee it is Buggy, but if it does turn out his crew is on the island, you heard it here first.~
Old 2012-02-07, 13:33   Link #4
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
The mention of a separated lower-half of a body and Shichibukai kind of brings to mind a certain greedy pirate clown we're all familiar with.

Of course there's no guarantee it is Buggy, but if it does turn out his crew is on the island, you heard it here first.~
I doubt Buggy can talk with his lower part
Old 2012-02-07, 13:42   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

I think it's time for Donquixote Doflamingo
Old 2012-02-07, 13:55   Link #6
marvelB

I sort of considered Buggy myself at first, but as was already pointed out, he didn't have the ability to communicate with his lower half (unless he's now able to separate his mouth from his face now). Plus, this split guy has a tendency to add "-Bu" to his speech. CCC actually elaborates a bit on that over at AP:

Quote:
Something kind of noteworthy: "Bu" (武) is a kanji/term associated with Samurai (as in "bushido"). That's why this lower half character is peppering his speech with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see the visual of the person attached to the dragon

(Best part of the chapter so far (after the dragon and the man are seperated):
Usopp: So you were just a lower half from the start? Awfully big...
Luffy: That's a pretty personal question!").

Heh, I actually considered adding that to my earlier post. That Oda and his dirty jokes!

Anyways, another popular theory floating around is that Trafalgar Law is the Shichibukai (since he also has a splitting power), but as with Buggy I doubt that he can make split limbs talk. In all honesty I'm leaning towards the warlord being a completely new character at this point, who's probably the leader of those samurai. Besides, I think it would be really interesting if someone from Wano (which had no previous affiliation with the WG) approached the government for their own personal reasons (like maybe he was exiled from his country and joined the WG in order to get his revenge, etc.).....
Old 2012-02-07, 14:12   Link #7
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

For a moment the thought of Buggy being able to split others like he splits himself came to mind...but then banished under the laugher.
Old 2012-02-07, 16:38   Link #8
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
I COULD be Buggy, seeing as he's the only one that half a body seems to relate to, but again he can't really talk through the bottom half...

Hopefully we learn about the NEW Shichibukai soon~
Old 2012-02-07, 16:57   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
I COULD be Buggy, seeing as he's the only one that half a body seems to relate to, but again he can't really talk through the bottom half...

Hopefully we learn about the NEW Shichibukai soon~
You and me both.
Old 2012-02-07, 17:19   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

This warlord is most likely a new one and the leader of those samurai. Oda sure is connecting the dots that way. Once Smoker arrives at Punk Hazard, he may shed some insight as to who this guy is.
Old 2012-02-07, 18:09   Link #11
SMASHERJACKSON

it finally feels like the new world adventure has started, cant wait 4 full ch.
Old 2012-02-07, 19:23   Link #12
Mateus

I'm disappointed that the dragon isn't a sentient, but at the same time I know this will be a kick ass chapter. I wonder who "M" is?
Old 2012-02-07, 19:40   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
I'm disappointed that the dragon isn't a sentient, but at the same time I know this will be a kick ass chapter. I wonder who "M" is?
From my experience it could be a stern old lady with command over spuer spies

Very interesting chapter by the sounds of it, cool thing is the deal with the gang on the Sunny.
With only Brooke let loose to "save the day" it should be an absolute riot!

Betting on some nice Nami service with her being knocked out
Old 2012-02-07, 22:39   Link #14
game2007

Are people forgetting that Law has an ability that is, to some extent, similar to Buggy's?
Old 2012-02-07, 23:52   Link #15
golgo13

Shambles.

Wow they are off to a fantastic start defeating a dragon pretty easily. Haven't seen sleeping gas since lvl 6 in impel down. Wonder who "M" is? Marshall D. Teach? naw.. maybe Magellan or some other "M"arine..
Old 2012-02-08, 03:31   Link #16
game2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
It's been a while, so I don't really remember his power well. Was it really permanent? I thought it only works on objects inside of his room.
After he fought the Marines outside the slave auction house at Sabaody Archipelago with Kidd and Luffy, some of the Marines still have with their body parts in abnormal places.

Also, sorry for not noticing that you mentioned Law already, MarvelB...
Old 2012-02-08, 04:42   Link #17
ronin myael
lost ronin

i can totally imagine luffy and zoro roasting that huge dragon and eating it!

nice fun chapter. can't wait for the next one.
Old 2012-02-08, 05:41   Link #18
aiu

I can't believe they finally meet a real, mythical beast and the first thing they do is kill it and eat it! /sigh

The whole schtick with everyone thinking the dragon was talking was setting up such a great scene, but then again, it's kinda like Oda to do something that leaves you thinking, "Oh no they did not!"
Old 2012-02-08, 06:09   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Betting on some nice Nami service with her being knocked out
There was a nice piece of Nami service in this chapter.
Old 2012-02-08, 06:10   Link #20
onepiece4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
Are people forgetting that Law has an ability that is, to some extent, similar to Buggy's?
law can separate another peoples bodies while buggy can separate himself...
Closed Thread