AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-02, 22:53   Link #101
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
My little review of the series OST, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Best Sound"

I haven't been this excited about an album in a long time.
I haven't been this impressed with the mastering of a CD in a long time.
I haven't been this pleased with an album in a long time.

(Incidentally, the last time for all three of those was the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children OST, but that's not that relevant.)

I won't really spend any time going into detail about the music, because hey, we all know what great tracks we're looking for.

Yes, as I said, the mastering is wonderful. In a world where most albums are mastered with ridiculously high volume levels that sacrifice every ounce of dynamic range in the music, this is done RIGHT. You may notice that the base volume is a bit lower than most other CDs these days, but that's a good thing, because that means the highs are crisp and clear and the lows are full and clean in ways rarely heard any more.

I wasn't aware until today that the composer was Iwasaki Taku, who composed (as Westlo mentioned above) the Read or Die OST. His signature style is there, without a doubt. Actually, nothing seems to really resemble the Read or Die soundtrack much at all, but it's like his spirit is in the compositions. It must be so, because this past week I've been chiding myself for misremembering RoD music in place of GL music (making my discovery of his identity today quite amusing to me). Those who have both this soundtrack and the Read or Die soundtrack (entitled "Listen or Die"), try comparing the main Gurren Lagann thematic pieces (covered in track 21 of this album) with the main Read or Die thematic pieces (covered in track 9 on the RoD album--this is actually what I kept mentally inserting into GL in my head).

Unlike many anime OSTs full of minute and a half mood pieces, each track here has the length it needs to stand on its own and really shine. This isn't a CD full of tracks so we can merely hear the music we've heard on the show. No, this is an album made by an artist, who poured passion into a work made for listening. Although the various tracks and their layout make it clear that this is a soundtrack to another work, the album works very well as a cohesive whole. The tracks aren't quite arranged in the order they were first presented, but mostly so, leading us through memories of the series but striking a balance that makes listening to it straight through a very smooth experience.

Hearing the pieces on their own gives a wonderful reflection on the show, itself. Nia's theme, for instance, seems to be a loving description of her character. The theme played during the battles with the Mugan over Kamina city almost points out all the works those scenes were an homage to.

Giving each track room to spread its wings is mostly a good thing, but it does have its downfalls: This CD does have some lulls in it during extended mood pieces, and the incredibly powerful crescendos that made such an impact in the show in the songs' shorter forms are occasionally lost or diluted by the trip it takes to reach them in the full version of the tracks. The pieces are no less invigorating, overall, though, and are able to do some pleasing new things with the extra space they're given.

The only other criticism I have is related: The mix we see on the tracks in the album is occasionally slightly different than what we were treated to in the series. For example, the first piece of music we hear in Gurren Lagann opens the album, but while this piece ended as an instrumental in the show, on the album the vocal track begins before reaching that point. While this works very well on its own, it ultimately leaves a slightly different impression. I believe the original could have been preserved without sacrificing the newer content.

That's not too bad, though. The only reason I harp on it so much is because a small blemish stands out so much when its attached to such a great beauty. Even with its very minor faults, this is a truly incredible album.

As a bonus, of course, is the opening and ending themes and character songs. The OP and EDs need no description, of course, but the character songs are a great surprise: Unlike most character songs, these are very listenable. Kudos to whoever decided that the themes should be available with the OST.

Last edited by Kyuusai; 2007-10-03 at 09:33. Reason: Corrected factual error.
Old 2007-10-02, 23:05   Link #102
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy78 View Post
Man.

Track #21 brings a tear to my eye.

If this doesn't get your BLOOD PUMPING then somethings wrong with you.
i got tears in the eyes when i listen to track 21 too.
and Libera Me from Hell is OVERKILL !!!!
Old 2007-10-03, 00:53   Link #103
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I'm disappointed.

Too many tracks from the show were omitted, and rather bad themes were added in (#10 and #16 in particular, TOO MUCH ROH ROH). Leeron's theme isn't there, the preview theme is omitted as well, Garlock's instrumental of the Gurren Gang fanfare is missing as well (how interesting!). It's a jumbled mess, a mix of themes from the first two arcs and from the last two, no real pattern.

My main complaint is, too much RAP and not enough variety in the instrumentals. I've already heard many of these tracks to death in episode sixteen, which was almost unadulterated as far as the sound-track goes - the biggest feature of this are the techno songs from Arc's III and IV, which are great I must say.

Rather poor job on Gainax's part, considering how LONG it took to pump out this OST compared with, say, Sunrise, and how unsatisfying it is. I mean, GaoGaiGar's OST I and II had everything but ONE theme, which was ported onto FINAL because there wasn't enough room on one disk for it.
Old 2007-10-03, 00:58   Link #104
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

^
That's when you begin praying for a second OST release.
don't forget that Gundam Seed OST 4 came out one year after the show ended....so there is hope.
Old 2007-10-03, 01:58   Link #105
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Finally!

"Roh Roh Fight the Powa!" is in the hands of the people. That track will never get old.
the only bad thing i thought that some tracks wouldve been more awsome without the "Roh Roh Fight the Powa!" >.>; its the first song that jerks a tear for me and im back into my "Noo Kamina!" depression once again
Old 2007-10-03, 02:21   Link #106
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
I'm disappointed.

Too many tracks from the show were omitted, and rather bad themes were added in (#10 and #16 in particular, TOO MUCH ROH ROH). Leeron's theme isn't there, the preview theme is omitted as well, Garlock's instrumental of the Gurren Gang fanfare is missing as well (how interesting!). It's a jumbled mess, a mix of themes from the first two arcs and from the last two, no real pattern.

My main complaint is, too much RAP and not enough variety in the instrumentals. I've already heard many of these tracks to death in episode sixteen, which was almost unadulterated as far as the sound-track goes - the biggest feature of this are the techno songs from Arc's III and IV, which are great I must say.

Rather poor job on Gainax's part, considering how LONG it took to pump out this OST compared with, say, Sunrise, and how unsatisfying it is. I mean, GaoGaiGar's OST I and II had everything but ONE theme, which was ported onto FINAL because there wasn't enough room on one disk for it.
You can't tell you dislike hiphop and like techno As for the preview theme try track 21 buddy, if you couldn't tell they used a part of that track for the preview theme than I have to question how well you listened to the OST.
Old 2007-10-03, 02:21   Link #107
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanosuke View Post
^
That's when you begin praying for a second OST release.
don't forget that Gundam Seed OST 4 came out one year after the show ended....so there is hope.
That's the problem.

There were a number of tracks omitted, but not enough to make a whole 'nother CD with. "Liberate Me" instrumental, "Roh Roh" Garlock remix instrumental, prievew, Garlock Gurren Gang, Leeron's harmonica theme, the OPs and EDs intrumental. That's only eight tracks, not including what I'm not thinking of in the series that was omitted.

This OST's organization was just poor, I like the techno stuff but I wouldn't have minded waiting for them on an OST II. This is Gainax's failure for being so slow with the release, now no one will care about OST II in the far future with the anime being over. >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
You can't tell you dislike hiphop and like techno.
With a line like "the techno songs...are great I must say" I must really hate that kind of stuff, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
As for the next preview theme try track 21 buddy
Hmm! I guess that track was more complete than I thought.
Old 2007-10-03, 02:27   Link #108
Westlo
Lets be reality

Nice ninja edit, grats on listening to the first 2 seconds before replying.
Old 2007-10-03, 02:30   Link #109
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I was listening to the track while it played, the preview theme was toward the end, which is why I missed it. I was having trouble getting everything to load (and edit) because my computer is being bombarded by spyware.

Hosts failure.
Old 2007-10-03, 03:20   Link #110
KKensei
Lost Member

Awesome OST indeed~ most of the lyrics for the RAW! RAW! FIGHT THE POWER! actually had correlation with the series~
Now...going to listen it while I sleep..XD
Old 2007-10-03, 05:19   Link #111
grunty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
I'm disappointed.

I totally, 100%ly, agree. I was really hoping for at least one limited edition DVD with a bonus CD, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen from the official site... I want that piece from when Adiene revealed Nia was abandoned... It was a real tear jerker for me during the episode...
Old 2007-10-03, 06:20   Link #112
Kirarakim

I love the soundtrack, my only complaint is 4 Row Row Fight Da Powah's was a little overkill. I really like the song but I don't need to hear 4 variations of it. Although I am glad they have the Opera version on there.
Old 2007-10-03, 08:11   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've known all along that this soundtrack wasn't going to include all of the material i've heard from this series --- its a given when it comes to soundtracks. Though i am very surprised that a few well known tracks haven't appeared, so that does make me believe that we'll see another soundtrack in the future.

I agree with Malintex_Terek that the direction of this soundtrack is a bit sloppy, though it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 2007-10-03, 08:11   Link #114
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
This OST is epic. ;_;

It's missing a few tracks but at least it has the ones i wanted the most. (Row
Row Fight dah Powah~Opera + Viral's theme) n.n
Old 2007-10-03, 10:39   Link #115
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

1. Rap is a Devil of a Man! Go Beyond the Impossible and Kick Reason to the Curb! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Our Dai-Gurren Brigade!!
2. Is a Mole Just a Mole?
3. Boing vs. Boing
4. An Elegy for Kamina's Father, Who Became a Skeleton
5. The Wolf is Here!!
6. BafBaf! Do You Like Being That...Fired Up?
7. Nikopol
8. The Moon and Stars and M-E
9. The Dai-Gurren Brigade will Go Forth Past a Wasteland of Hot Sand
10. Rap is a Devil of a Man! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Lord Kamina, the Man of Raging Billows Who Believes in Himself and Points to Heaven!!
11. What Exactly is 'Moe'?
12. All You Bastards, Get Fired Up!!!
13. Uniting Can Go Fuck Off!!
14. Spinning, Spinning, Spinning, Spinninginginging...
15. Love Conservative
16. Rap is a Devil of a Man...... I think... it was...
17. The Blue Monday e"R"ectrical Parade
18. How's That!? My Trumpet's Amazing, Ain't It!?!
19. "Libera me" from hell
20. With Your XXX...
21. Thrust through Heaven with Your XXX!
Old 2007-10-03, 12:02   Link #116
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
"do the impossible, see the invisible, ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA!!!"

at last!! *drools like mad!!*

i just love both version ^_^ both original and opera OWNS!

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-03, 12:33   Link #117
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

These names are just so incredibly GAR.

I'm sure one of them must hold the record for longest song title evar.
Old 2007-10-03, 12:35   Link #118
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
1. Rap is a Devil of a Man! Go Beyond the Impossible and Kick Reason to the Curb! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Our Dai-Gurren Brigade!!
2. Is a Mole Just a Mole?
3. Boing vs. Boing
4. An Elegy for Kamina's Father, Who Became a Skeleton
5. The Wolf is Here!!
6. BafBaf! Do You Like Being That...Fired Up?
7. Nikopol
8. The Moon and Stars and M-E
9. The Dai-Gurren Brigade will Go Forth Past a Wasteland of Hot Sand
10. Rap is a Devil of a Man! Perk Up Your Earholes and Listen REAL Close to the Theme of Lord Kamina, the Man of Raging Billows Who Believes in Himself and Points to Heaven!!
11. What Exactly is 'Moe'?
12. All You Bastards, Get Fired Up!!!
13. Uniting Can Go Fuck Off!!
14. Spinning, Spinning, Spinning, Spinninginginging...
15. Love Conservative
16. Rap is a Devil of a Man...... I think... it was...
17. The Blue Monday e"R"ectrical Parade
18. How's That!? My Trumpet's Amazing, Ain't It!?!
19. "Libera me" from hell
20. With Your XXX...
21. Thrust through Heaven with Your XXX!

Those seem like the most accurate. Though I think it should be "Rap is a Man's Soul".
Old 2007-10-03, 21:54   Link #119
U<3Anime
Boo!

Listening to track 21 always reminds me of first half of the show, but never the second half. I guess it's just because it's like only used once in the second half. Track 21=first half and opera row row fight the powa=second half.
Old 2007-10-03, 22:41   Link #120
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Listening to track 21 always reminds me of first half of the show, but never the second half. I guess it's just because it's like only used once in the second half. Track 21=first half and opera row row fight the powa=second half.
Actually , the more memorable use of Track 21 in my case was in episode 23 . and this for me is probably the Best way to have used this track ....somehow . thought the first Giga Drill used it too ...and that was bad ass...but my point is if not for episode 23 , i would probably never have noticed this track

anyway , of all the missing tracks on the OST , the one i think i am missing the most is the one that played in the last scene before the ending song in episode 27 .
Spoiler for episode 27:
I don't think i spotted it in this OST and it was one of the songs i was looking forward the most X-X
Closed Thread