AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-02, 19:45   Link #27961
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with starting kids off young shooting, but good lord. You don't leave the firearms out like that unsupervised. Much LESS while loaded. That's the kind of thing you double check before storing the rifle away, not just tossing it into a corner.
But is 5 year old a bit too young ? 8 or 10 seem to me a bit more appropriate for starting but maybe it's my inexperience of such matter ...
Old 2013-05-02, 20:22   Link #27962
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
If you make over 150k and don't smoke....

http://www.match.com/profile/showpro...heGoodLongLife

Possibly paid to do this by match?
Old 2013-05-02, 20:23   Link #27963
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

I grew up in a very hippie/yuppie household (yes, irony), but my best friend as a young child was from a family out of an anti-government militia fiction best-seller (heck, they made their own weapons out of home-made molds and iron/steel casting).

Surprisingly, my parents allowed his father to take me shooting at the age of 10. Their free spirit overrode their intense liberalism I suppose. Or perhaps it was supposed to be reverse psychology parenting. By 14, I had gone hunting and killed my first wild goat, with my uncle who's the family's black sheep because he's a Republican.

I've been around weapons and "hicks" most of my life, despite being raised in a super-political Green Party/activist family. The news about the 5 year old is tragic, but shit happens. For the record, I think 5 is a bit young, but I've known plenty of children in rural America that have handled .22 calibre rifles at that age. Out of those, I never knew any who killed anyone, so even though that's still a super small sample size, I'm inclined to think this is hardly a common occurance.

If I ever had kids of my own (not likely, I love my freedom far too much), I'd probably wait 'till they were 12ish before letting them handle a rifle/pistol with real ammunition.

In the end, I still think most gun death/violence is not done by the "gun-loving, NRA-card-carrying, god-lovin' crowd" that seems to be the media's favorite scapegoat whenever some bit of gun violence occurs. I can see why such people are super defensive over the issue, as I would agree with them that they are disproportionately cast as the "bad guys" on this issue, because hey, you don't have to worry about being politically correct making fun of hicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Possibly paid to do this by match?
I'm assuming the $150k is just a gate to help weed out the "rif raff". A friend of mine sent me that link. I'm kind of afraid to ask what she was doing to have found it in the first place. As for whether Match.com is paying her...I don't know. I can't imagine she actually needs the money, and doing something like this for money sounds more like a Lindsay Lohan move of financial desperation. I'll give her the benefit of doubt and allow that maybe she really is sincere.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-05-02, 23:36   Link #27964
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
But is 5 year old a bit too young ? 8 or 10 seem to me a bit more appropriate for starting but maybe it's my inexperience of such matter ...
Id say it's not so much the age as parents being stupid enough to leave a gun lying around. And loaded. Even if the kids were 12 or 13 or something, that's just not something any responsible person would do.
Old 2013-05-03, 02:17   Link #27965
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Id say it's not so much the age as parents being stupid enough to leave a gun lying around. And loaded. Even if the kids were 12 or 13 or something, that's just not something any responsible person would do.
The responsible thing would be to each gun safety to the children. If you are going to have guns, teach the kids to be around them. You teach them to be careful and safe around blades, same thing with guns.

Although, 5 years old is way too young for this. Why would you even give a loaded gun to a kid so young?
Old 2013-05-03, 03:53   Link #27966
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Exclusive: At Texas fertilizer plant, a history of theft, tampering
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94206020130503

Pakistan's lead prosecutor in Bhutto case killed
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-03-03-55-44
Old 2013-05-03, 04:06   Link #27967
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
In the end, I still think most gun death/violence is not done by the "gun-loving, NRA-card-carrying, god-lovin' crowd" that seems to be the media's favorite scapegoat whenever some bit of gun violence occurs. I can see why such people are super defensive over the issue, as I would agree with them that they are disproportionately cast as the "bad guys" on this issue, because hey, you don't have to worry about being politically correct making fun of hicks.
Gun violence, no. Gun accidents, OTOH...
Old 2013-05-03, 04:19   Link #27968
Tom Bombadil

I wonder if this has been posted.

Putin plays with the pen on the press conference.
Old 2013-05-03, 04:22   Link #27969
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Putin is probably thinking about Heath Ledger's "magic trick" scene in the Batman movie, and wondering if he can make the pen disappear using that boring Japanese leader's skull.
Old 2013-05-04, 00:39   Link #27970
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's Official: The Government Really Did Kill Tupac.

Or, uh, at least they're still trying to get his stepaunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamist
Today, the FBI announced that it was adding Joanne Chesimard—also known as Assata Shakur—to its Most Wanted Terrorist list. It is the 40th anniversary of her crime, killing NJ State Trooper Werner Foerster.

Special Agent Aaron Ford, in charge of the Newark division, said, "Joanne Chesimard is a domestic terrorist who murdered a law enforcement officer execution-style... We want the public to know that we will not rest until this fugitive is brought to justice." And" NJ State Police Lieutenant Mike Rinaldi added, This case is just as important today as it was when it happened 40 years ago. Bringing Joanne Chesimard back here to face justice is still a top priority."
So, certain points of the case:
  • Tupac's stepaunt.
  • She's Assata Shakur, not Joanne Chesimard, the same way we call Muhammad Ali Muhammad Ali and not Cassius Clay, and Malcolm X is X rather than Little. I find myself somehow greatly annoyed at this racist little tick. It isn't an alias; she called herself Assata before the arrest and she calls herself Assata publicly (well, fugitive-public).
  • The woman killed a lawman during a stop-turned-fatal-shootout (KOP KILLA'), though her supporters think she was innocent. One of those cases where quite a few people think it's all a frameup.
  • She was involved in the Black Panthers and later BLA. Accused of numerous other crimes though acquitted or mistrialed them all. Certainly not a friend of the establishment or a completely uninvolved civilian.
  • Escaped from jail since 1979 (her treatment was basically so criminal some people called her a political prisoner), and escaped to Cuba in 1984. Been living in exile since.
  • All sorts of old wounds are being reopened for the lulz of it. The good old days of all white juries convicting black power people, FBI having illegal operations against the Left (always the Left), and the revolutionary Marxist blacks and all other things they usually try not to teach in school. The hip-hop sites are blatantly sympathetic; the "mainstream" news site borrow FBI's viewpoint almost word for word, paying little attention to her somewhat romanticized role in hip-hop culture.
  • But really, the woman's like, over sixty if not seventy and she hasn't done shit since that infamous night. What the fuck is the FBI's problem? Extradition, crime, trial, yeah whatever, but terrorist, and Most Wanted? Is she planning to bomb the Pentagon? Did she have any hand in the Boston tragedy? Is she joining Al-Qaeda? Can we even call her a terrorist? Am I a terrorist for posting this?
  • Are you a terrorist, you commie cop killer?
Old 2013-05-04, 00:46   Link #27971
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

When you can't find the real terrorists or run out of them ... you make them up or there's going to be budget cuts. We're always at war with Oceania, err, Pacifica, uh... oops.
<EOL>
Old 2013-05-04, 00:51   Link #27972
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
I wonder if this has been posted.

Putin plays with the pen on the press conference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Putin is probably thinking about Heath Ledger's "magic trick" scene in the Batman movie, and wondering if he can make the pen disappear using that boring Japanese leader's skull.
The only thing that should be discussed about the Russo-Japanese relations are about setting up a joint resort at the Kuril Islands crewed by Russian and Japanese loli maids, not a wonder both sides are pretty uninterested in whatever questions that are thrown in by the reporters during the press conference.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-04, 06:11   Link #27973
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Funeral home: No one wants to bury bomb suspect
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-04-02-43-10
But didn't the parents requested their son's body ?
Old 2013-05-04, 06:23   Link #27974
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Funeral home: No one wants to bury bomb suspect
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-04-02-43-10
But didn't the parents requested their son's body ?
I always assume people who die the way they do end up either cremated or buried anonymously, just because if they have a tombstone it would be a target for vandalism.

As the funeral director said, there had been many dead criminals who did much worse things, and they all get buried. But people are focusing on this one guy until a future crisis replace him from their minds.
Old 2013-05-04, 07:52   Link #27975
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I always assume people who die the way they do end up either cremated or buried anonymously, just because if they have a tombstone it would be a target for vandalism.

As the funeral director said, there had been many dead criminals who did much worse things, and they all get buried. But people are focusing on this one guy until a future crisis replace him from their minds.
Muslims never cremate their dead since it's against their teachings.

No matter how good or bad that person, everyone gets a proper burial. Even Osama bin Ladin's body was treated accordingly to Islamic teachings before his body was delivered to the sea.
Old 2013-05-04, 11:11   Link #27976
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
When you can't find the real terrorists or run out of them ... you make them up or there's going to be budget cuts. We're always at war with Oceania, err, Pacifica, uh... oops.
<EOL>
indeed... and 2030 could be our last hurrah

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...rica-2030/all/
Old 2013-05-04, 13:56   Link #27977
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Chinese boat 'damaged' Philippine coral reef

Quote:
A Chinese fishing vessel has crashed into one of the Philippines' most famous reefs and damaged thousands of square metres of centuries-old coral, the marine park has said.

Some 3,902 square metres of coral was destroyed after the boat became stranded in the Tubbataha marine park, a UNESCO World Heritage-listed coral reef, the park management said on Saturday.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-p...157992462.html

Old 2013-05-04, 15:39   Link #27978
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

The company that sponsors the fishing boat or hires the skipper of that boat will have to be ready to open up their wallet because that will be worthy of quite a very heavy fine at least. And that's not counting the poaching charges that could cost the fishermen some jail time.
Old 2013-05-04, 16:16   Link #27979
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
indeed... and 2030 could be our last hurrah

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013...rica-2030/all/
Read the comments section. It is HILARIOUS, especially when they talk about Singapore being run by "ethnic Chinese" and is China's "little brother".

Note that we are generally balance inclined, and the mainlanders freak us out. I don't know about Hong Kong though.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-04, 17:40   Link #27980
Seitsuki
Onee!

Why can't we all just get along?

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international