AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-11-05, 13:21   Link #1
NaweG
Just some guy

MKV to Subbed iPhone MP4 - Possible?

OK, I've been working this problem for a week, and I'm running out of ideas. Am hopeful someone here might know the secret.

My main machine has a Core i7 processor running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 12 Gigs of ram and an ATi Radeon 4870 card with it's own 1 Gig of ram.

I have tried XVID4PSP (wouldn't recognize the Subtitle in the MKV container, and wouldn't load it if I extracted it first to an SRT), Minicoder (dies during run, I suspect an X64 issue), Handbrake (dies during run, I suspect an X64 issue) and finally the SVN beta of Handbrake which does the encoding, but doesn't recognize or include the subtitle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2009-11-05, 16:20   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Handbrake only hardsubs subtitles from a DVD source, not from MKV... There should be a tutorial using AVISynth and some other tools to hardcode the sub to the video. Once you hardsubbed it, use Handbrake to convert to the appropriate format for the iPhone.

This tutorial posted on this forum should help you get started: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=47693
Old 2009-11-05, 23:43   Link #3
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
OK, I've been working this problem for a week, and I'm running out of ideas. Am hopeful someone here might know the secret.

My main machine has a Core i7 processor running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with 12 Gigs of ram and an ATi Radeon 4870 card with it's own 1 Gig of ram.

I have tried XVID4PSP (wouldn't recognize the Subtitle in the MKV container, and wouldn't load it if I extracted it first to an SRT), Minicoder (dies during run, I suspect an X64 issue), Handbrake (dies during run, I suspect an X64 issue) and finally the SVN beta of Handbrake which does the encoding, but doesn't recognize or include the subtitle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The subtitle and the mkv must have the same name for it to work.(ie. video-1.mkv | video-1.srt). If it still doesn't work, try using another program called mediacoder.
Old 2009-11-06, 09:54   Link #4
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakuDan View Post
The subtitle and the mkv must have the same name for it to work.(ie. video-1.mkv | video-1.srt). If it still doesn't work, try using another program called mediacoder.
Tried MediaCoder, both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Both blow up as soon as they start to try and convert.

Seriously, while I appreciate folks mentioning tools, is there ANYONE with a similar setup who actually DOES this successfully? Preferably with a step by step. I suspect the 12 gigs of RAM which is a big plus for my 3D work is what's killing most of these programs - they just aren't used to dealing with anything beyond 4 gigs.
Old 2009-11-06, 21:36   Link #5
raisinberry777

I've used RipBot264 to do this on my iPod 5.5G, should work the same for iPhones. When encoding, select the iPhone profile and the MP4 container. In the Avisynth settings page (don't worry, it's all in a nice GUI) make sure the resolution somewhere around 480*272 for widescreen or 384*288 for fullscreen, and find the subtitles bit and select the subtitle you want to be hardsubbed into the picture (it should've automatically extracted it when you imported the mkv). Then select the right audio encoding (96kbps AAC-LC should do) then hit encode. Don't have it installed here on my new Windows 7 install but worked fine for me on XP and I haven't heard any reports of it not working on W7.
Old 2009-11-07, 00:21   Link #6
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisinberry777 View Post
I've used RipBot264 to do this on my iPod 5.5G, should work the same for iPhones. When encoding, select the iPhone profile and the MP4 container. In the Avisynth settings page (don't worry, it's all in a nice GUI) make sure the resolution somewhere around 480*272 for widescreen or 384*288 for fullscreen, and find the subtitles bit and select the subtitle you want to be hardsubbed into the picture (it should've automatically extracted it when you imported the mkv). Then select the right audio encoding (96kbps AAC-LC should do) then hit encode. Don't have it installed here on my new Windows 7 install but worked fine for me on XP and I haven't heard any reports of it not working on W7.
I appreciate the suggestion, but this is why I keep asking for someone WITH A SIMILAR SETUP who can do this already to tell me how they're doing it.

I installed the latest RipBot, it ran through it's check and said everything was fine. I then pointed it to an MKV, it then pulled off the audio files, and now has been sitting for over 10 minutes at the "Please Wait...Gathering Information" message and will not let me select anything other than Abort. Since I assume it's not "premuxing" the video file, I can't think of anything it could/should be doing that takes that long. So I have to assume it either doesn't like Win 7, doesn't like x64, or doesn't like more than 4 gigs of RAM (or some combination of all three).

Note: Have now tried killing and rerunning with a different file... same result.

I've tried some of the PAID tools out there, and they work no better. Which makes me think I either need to get real familiar with compiling and running mencoder and ffmpeg, or resign myself to not watching MKV files (anime or otherwise) on my iPhone.
Old 2009-11-07, 15:29   Link #7
BakuDan
Let's count up your sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Tried MediaCoder, both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Both blow up as soon as they start to try and convert.

Seriously, while I appreciate folks mentioning tools, is there ANYONE with a similar setup who actually DOES this successfully? Preferably with a step by step. I suspect the 12 gigs of RAM which is a big plus for my 3D work is what's killing most of these programs - they just aren't used to dealing with anything beyond 4 gigs.
My system setup is i7 920@ 4.2ghz, 6gb ram and Win7 x64 OS.

These are my setting from mediacoder x64 0.7.2.4530:

You can click the Mode button to show more options like Target File Size (in KB)

The Display Encoding frame show you the videoframe that is currently being encoded. It will also show you if your subtitles loaded or not.

It should automatically load your subtitle(not inside MKV). If it didn't the subtitle didnt have the exact name as the mkv so you can just load it manually.

Alternatively, you can download this preset for iPhone/PSP. This preset's Target File Size is about 75mb (76800KB) although it is set to 81250KB, probably a bug so you want to test it out abit

Last edited by BakuDan; 2009-11-07 at 16:09.
Old 2009-11-07, 16:11   Link #8
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakuDan View Post
My system setup is i7 920@ 4.2ghz, 6gb ram and Win7 x64 OS.

These are my setting from mediacoder x64 0.7.2.4530:

<Edited for brevity>

It should automatically load your subtitle(not inside MKV). If it didn't the subtitle didnt have the exact name as the mkv so you can just load it manually.
I can see several things here that aren't what I had, and I'm getting some suspicion from messages on another board that MediaCoder (as well as a couple other tools) are trying to use stuff I have installed for my 3D work that may be goofing them up (Nero AAC in particular). I'll give this a try and see if I can't get a little farther along. Thanks!
Old 2009-11-07, 16:19   Link #9
NaweG
Just some guy

I'll still try the MediaCoder stuff out later, but I have to point out that there is a tool that I've finally found that works with my setup AND that works with the embedded subtitle so you don't have to extract them first - Format Factory (http://www.formatoz.com/). It converted two MKV files properly for my iPhone and did them both in less than 10 minutes. Color me tickled pink (which is slightly rosier than regular pink)

FWIW!