AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 23:04   Link #861
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
Or that the dolls are actually corpses of old victims.
I think that's the wrong way around. Remember how a doll fell off the shelf when Sakakibara was talking to Misaki?

Also, I was trying to find out when the full ED will be released when I noticed the name of the song is Anamnesis. Wikipedia has four entries on the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Christianity
Anamnesis (from the Attic Greek word ἀνάμνησιν meaning reminiscence and/or memorial sacrifice)[1], in Christianity is a liturgical statement in which the Church refers to the memorial character of the Eucharist and/or to the Passion, Resurrection and Ascension of Christ. It has its origin in Jesus' words at the Last Supper, "Do this in memory of me"
This seems the most on-point -- everything going on with the class started as a reminiscence of the student who died and many aspects of it have taken on ritualistic dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Medicine
information gained by a physician by asking specific questions of a patient.
This is what Sakakibara's trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Philosophy
Socrates' response is to develop his theory of anamnesis. He suggests that the soul is immortal, and repeatedly incarnated; knowledge is actually in the soul from eternity (86b), but each time the soul is incarnated its knowledge is forgotten in the shock of birth. What one perceives to be learning, then, is actually the recovery of what one has forgotten. (Once it has been brought back it is true belief, to be turned into genuine knowledge by understanding.) And thus Socrates (and Plato) sees himself, not as a teacher, but as a midwife, aiding with the birth of knowledge that was already there in the student.
Possible hint about what's really going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the TV series Millennium
A sensitive high-school girl in Washington state claims to have religious visions in a case that raises controversial issues and builds to violence in a classroom.
Probably just a coincidence, but Ayatsuji is versed in Western horror films so you never know.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:06   Link #862
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Memo to self: do not read the spoilerish Wikipedia entry on the novel again, not until the whole show ends. My blood now has ice flowing afterwards... damn.

Unless there's a plot change; some may survive, some may not.

Read the novel instead.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:08   Link #863
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Memo to self: do not read the spoilerish Wikipedia entry on the novel again, not until the whole show ends. .
Agh, I feel for you.

I did the same thing a few years back when I was looking for a summary only to be greeted with major plot developments in the first paragraph of the article.

Uhuh. Wikipedia is definitely not a good place to use when looking up anything that you are watching or reading.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:08   Link #864
sa547
*Author

Quote:

Read the novel instead.
No fan translations, I think. Nothing at the usual LN site. If there was, I'll be grabbing it.
Old 2012-01-30, 23:15   Link #865
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
Isn't modern elevator have some kind brake mechanism?

This anime.... what year its happen? Early 70's or what?
Yes I can't take anything from fiction seriously. But this is just silly, I thought.
Elevator accidents still happen, though generally not the way depicted in this episode. There was a woman who died in New York last month when the computer started the lift moving without shutting the door. I'm glad the writers went with the less likely accident.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:21   Link #866
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm still waiting for any signs of anyone even remotely acknowledging her existence other than Kouichi, even something as small as averting their eyes or moving out of her way.

I think the closest was the glasses girl who was immediately killed off.
There's two scenes in episode 2 that can be interpreted as people seeing Mei (and thus implying she is real). Around the 6:15 mark, the two guys (jumpsuit and art guy, I can't remember anyone's names) appear to see Mei in the library. And I think twin-tails is upset at around 15:45 because she sees Kouichi following Mei. I'm sure there are other instances, but those two stuck out to me. You can view those in different ways, such as the guys knew the library was a bad place, or felt the librarian was creepy, or twin-tails was upset that Kouichi just walked off. However, since I'm leaning towards Mei not being a ghost/spirit then I see those as people avoiding or shunning Mei for whatever reason.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:46   Link #867
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
I'm still waiting for any signs of anyone even remotely acknowledging her existence other than Kouichi, even something as small as averting their eyes or moving out of her way.

I think the closest was the glasses girl who was immediately killed off.
I don't think this is coincidental at all. Maybe it's because the moment someone acknowledges that Mei might exist, they die gruesomely? Meganekko was caught off guard and accidentally acknowledged Mei's existence by running away. Boom, dead. Horror Nurse talked openly about Mei on the phone. Boom, dead. For some reason it doesn't affect Kouichi of course, because he doesn't know about it. Hmm...
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:53   Link #868
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The two rules that are clear so far are: #1 don't talk about fight club the curse ; #2 do not acknowledged Misaki's existence.
Quote:
First rule of fight club, you do not talk about fight club. Probably the same thing here.
That is what I think, too. Akazawa mentioned something along the same lines, how best to tell Sakakibara about what's going on. It seems that by even talking about the curse — however vaguely — you make it real, because you would, in effect, acknowledge that it exists.

But then, dumb things like this happen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
They also did put an exam form on her desk,this intrigues me in both cases.
If she's alive why suddenly acknowledge her?
If she's dead why put something on the desk?
Wouldn't that break the "don't acknowledge she exists" rule? Oh well, another one of those lapses to forgive. Perhaps the invigilator at the exams was also as "new" as the principal, and didn't believe in the curse.

As for the latest death, can't say I didn't see it coming. The poor woman had practically been painting a bright red bulls' eye on her head over the past three episodes, and her luck finally ran out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Loved the Omen reference. A while since I've seen the movies, but I recall one character gets decapitated by a sheet of glass that falls off a van. That's why Kouichi thought of what the nurse had said about there being nobody called Damien in town, while he was standing by the van with the big sheet of plate glass on it.
I was rolling my eyes throughout the scene. It was so obvious that the glass window was going to crash, especially once the two teens started talking right beside it. They were just begging for an accident to happen. You'd think Sakakibara would be smart enough to take his classmate away from the pickup truck before talking further (since he's familiar with "Damien"), but nooooooo... that wouldn't be horrific would it?

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-01-31 at 02:07. Reason: Gah, spelling error.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 23:55   Link #869
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yeah, anyone could have seen that death coming the moment she entered the elevator. Still, it was a decent episode. I hope they ease up on the deaths though. Anymore and it'll look obligatory.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 00:01   Link #870
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpleng View Post
Isn't modern elevator have some kind brake mechanism?

This anime.... what year its happen? Early 70's or what?
Yes I can't take anything from fiction seriously. But this is just silly, I thought.
Safety mechanisms only work when they're properly maintained. All it takes is some incompetent repairman forgetting to reconnect some wires, or leaving some sort of electrical short, and there are cases of doors failing to close properly or opening between floors. Google "elevator death" and you'll get some examples, though no quite as dramatic as this.

This anime cannot take place in the 70s. There are cell phones around, after all.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 00:08   Link #871
Unknown Soldier
:D

The anime occurs in 1998, as per the back story. The year is also shown several times on Kouichi's alarm clock in the previous episodes.

I find it hilarious that people are talking about safety mechanisms in something like this. It's just like Final Destination, when it was time for that elevator to fall, there was nothing that could stop it except the bottom of the shaft.

About the person Kouichi sees before he goes back in the doll shop: that person is going upstairs to the second floor. It might be Lilika?

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 2012-01-31 at 00:21.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 00:29   Link #872
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Damn that out of place OP, this is the second time that the atmosphere before the OP just disappeared when I heard it.

As someone who already gets nervous when riding up a number of floors on an elevator, seeing this episode was not helpful.

The ED is quite good though. It has the right amount of sadness to it.

Episode gets a 9.5/10, and yeah, I hope I don't lose sleep over this episode like I had with last week's.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 00:40   Link #873
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

This just reconfirm me that anything and everything around you can kill...

I am scared
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 01:18   Link #874
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep4:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 01:33   Link #875
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
This just reconfirm me that anything and everything around you can kill...

I am scared
When it's your time, it's time.

http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 01:41   Link #876
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Quote:
Yup, they are noise from connection failure.

If they were sound of the nurse gurgling blood then +10 points to the director.
then in BD and DVD version ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep4:
Spoiler for actually:

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!

Last edited by gecd; 2012-01-31 at 02:08.
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 02:02   Link #877
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
then in BD and DVD version ......

Spoiler for actually:
Nope you can't predict next death I tell you.
And around 2 more eps for more info about Mei.
Now time to get to watch ep 4.
Xaturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 02:48   Link #878
kimpleng
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Safety mechanisms only work when they're properly maintained. All it takes is some incompetent repairman forgetting to reconnect some wires, or leaving some sort of electrical short, and there are cases of doors failing to close properly or opening between floors. Google "elevator death" and you'll get some examples, though no quite as dramatic as this.

This anime cannot take place in the 70s. There are cell phones around, after all.
OK, this explanation is good enough .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The anime occurs in 1998, as per the back story. The year is also shown several times on Kouichi's alarm clock in the previous episodes.

I find it hilarious that people are talking about safety mechanisms in something like this. It's just like Final Destination, when it was time for that elevator to fall, there was nothing that could stop it except the bottom of the shaft.

About the person Kouichi sees before he goes back in the doll shop: that person is going upstairs to the second floor. It might be Lilika?
Uugh looks like I must have pay more attention to the detail. I didn't really remember they showed the year.

Only watching first and second Final Destination at age "I could just watch without questioning." Nowadays, I couldn't.

Found a fan art. The artist name is acryl.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 02:58   Link #879
EroKing

RIP Nurse-chan >.<

*EroKing's guide to check a high-school girl claiming to be dead/a ghost is actually dead.

- Slide your fingers under her skirt to that sweet spot and if it's warm then...
Old 2012-01-31, 03:21   Link #880
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
While not as extreme as EroKing's suggestion, I do think Kouichi should just go ahead and try touching her so that we can put this to rest... After all, it's not like he could get any less involved than he already is...

And assuming she is one of those ghosts that you can touch... Well...

*Points to Nisenmonogatari*
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, seinen