AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-16, 09:36   Link #581
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Guh. I don't like that DVD cover. -_- I could have done a better job.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-07-16, 11:22   Link #582
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

Yeah I was a little disappointed when I saw the cover, too. It wasn't so bad for the poster but it's not very exciting to look at. On the FB page I believe it said that they aren't finalized so it could change, but I doubt it.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2011-07-16, 12:39   Link #583
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

The only thing I don't like about the cover is that it tells you absolutely nothing about the movie except (for the observant) that it takes place in winter. If I didn't know a thing about the series and saw this in a video store, I would pass it without a second thought.
Old 2011-07-16, 17:50   Link #584
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
The only thing I don't like about the cover is that it tells you absolutely nothing about the movie except (for the observant) that it takes place in winter. If I didn't know a thing about the series and saw this in a video store, I would pass it without a second thought.
What is there in this movie for someone that knows nothing about the franchise anyway? Without having seen the rest of the series, someone would have no way of knowing that Haruhi has any redeeming characteristics that would make Kyon want to seek her out (as the pre alt!Yuki-verse scenes just have her being bossy and cos-raping Mikuru.) Nor would they understand why Yuki executes an illegal operation in module emotion.exe and remakes the universe.

I'm just fine with the cover as it is. Though if you want to draw in the uninitiated person (who will just spend the whole movie confused anyway,) you could put a picture of Asakura (with her knife) on the cover and fool them into thinking it's a murder mystery.
Old 2011-07-17, 00:03   Link #585
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Look at the way they are leaning against the wall.

Mikuru is on her toes, Haruhi is actually leaning against the wall, taking away height because her legs are bent.

Same goes for Kyon and Koizumi where I think Koizumi's leg is just slightly more bent, as well as Kyons posture (from body to head) being completely straight whereas Koizumi is slightly bent. Hell, even Kyons head is looking up while Koizumis is looking down.

The only thing I could agree with is Yuki being a little too short.
I'll grant you your point about Mikuru, but I still think Kyon's a little too tall. *shrugs*
Old 2011-07-17, 00:29   Link #586
ijuinkun

Yuki does look tiny. Kyon should normally be about 20 cm taller than Yuki and Mikuru, and 15 cm taller than Haruhi.
Old 2011-07-17, 10:21   Link #587
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Spoiler for comparison images:

Happily, with the exception of Yuki, the characters are all in the same order. And, accounting for perspective, this looks about right. Yuki comes up to Itsuki's shoulder and is just past Kyon's shoulder. Haruhi goes up to Kyon's ear. Mikuru is about an inch and a half shorter than Haruhi, and if you figure she's just a touch closer to the viewer, it's pretty much dead on.

The picture may not look quite right, but it IS accurate.
Old 2011-07-17, 12:23   Link #588
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Spoiler for comparison images:

Happily, with the exception of Yuki, the characters are all in the same order. And, accounting for perspective, this looks about right. Yuki comes up to Itsuki's shoulder and is just past Kyon's shoulder. Haruhi goes up to Kyon's ear. Mikuru is about an inch and a half shorter than Haruhi, and if you figure she's just a touch closer to the viewer, it's pretty much dead on.

The picture may not look quite right, but it IS accurate.
I really like the picture with them leaning on the wall, but now I cant unsee the Yuki-is-wrong-height problem. Also, Haruhi is tall. I mean, taller than the other 2 girls. Also Tsuruya's height is perfect.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
Old 2011-07-17, 23:40   Link #589
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
I really like the picture with them leaning on the wall, but now I cant unsee the Yuki-is-wrong-height problem. Also, Haruhi is tall. I mean, taller than the other 2 girls. Also Tsuruya's height is perfect.
Maybe Yuki's height is meant to be metaphoric or something...although I'm probably talking out of my ass on that one.
Old 2011-07-19, 12:43   Link #590
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I always thought she was shorter than everyone..I don't have a problem with the DVD cover
Old 2011-07-20, 23:24   Link #591
Mion S.

I like that picture, but it does not seem well fit on a DVD, a poster is perfect for it.
Old 2011-07-26, 19:15   Link #592
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
That picture is nice, but for a DVD cover it looks...really bland. On a poster it works fine, but for a DVD cover...meh.

Hope they come up with something better.
Old 2011-08-26, 03:02   Link #593
DL546

Speaking of the DVD/Blu-Ray coming out on the 20th of September, will it have the Japanese dub with English subs on it? Because, I went to a site where you can pre-order it, and it said that it would. Thanks in advance.
Old 2011-08-26, 05:40   Link #594
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In today's market, why would it not have the Japanese dub? The english subs might not be the extact subs (they might be the closed captioning subs instead), but I've not seen many recent English dubbed anime that don't leave the Japanese dub intact anymore. Unless it is a show that is localized (and editted) for American television, and those aren't all that common anymore.
Old 2011-08-27, 04:00   Link #595
DL546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
In today's market, why would it not have the Japanese dub? The english subs might not be the extact subs (they might be the closed captioning subs instead), but I've not seen many recent English dubbed anime that don't leave the Japanese dub intact anymore. Unless it is a show that is localized (and editted) for American television, and those aren't all that common anymore.
Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 2011-09-02, 18:52   Link #596
TakariCritic

Okay, I finished my preordered Disappearance.

Gotta say, the english cast did a superb job. Crispin Freeman was astounding, and even though Sugita did a marvelous job in the movie, Freeman certainly delivered as well.

That being said, I think Michelle Ruff's alt-Yuki was a little lacking, but overall everyone performed in a way that kept me immersed, even after countless views of the original cast.

One thing that I feel conflicted about is the re-write of Koizumi's comment as the train passes. I won't spoil it, but its clearly heard and.... controversial. Personally, its exactly the type of thing I think the alt-version would say, and matches exactly how I perceive his true feelings, but others may be less inclined to agree. I'm sure it will come up later in discussion/debate.
Old 2011-09-03, 02:23   Link #597
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I also watched my pre-ordered copy of Disappearance and went back to check that scene that Takari mentioned. I felt Johnny Yong Bosch's reading of that line as the train is going by after they've left the restaurant was spot-on. That line is also apparently present in the original Japanese too since Daisuke Ono(Itsuki's seiyuu) mentions that particular line at a screening. The movie changing it from the book was a good change, it made it more clear that alt. Itsuki clearly has feelings for alt. Haruhi.

I was slightly disappointed that Michelle Ruff didn't try to play up the moe of alt. Yuki. Then again, I am sure there would be been blooper takes where Bridget Hoffman would say that she wants to take Yuki home with her(and really Ryoko sounding like Rena would probably induce nightmares.) if Michelle went in that direction.

Crispin deserves a lot of praise for his portrayal of Kyon in this movie. He really nails those emotional moments. The rooftop scene has a couple of great examples of Crispin giving a great performance as Kyon. There were many great examples in the movie though.
Old 2011-09-03, 20:04   Link #598
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Good to know Crispin Freeman could deliver. I was blown away by Sugitas performance in the movie and since I'm a fan of Freeman's Kyon, I wondered if he could keep up with that amazing voice acting.
Old 2011-09-04, 03:31   Link #599
ijuinkun

I agree. Watching Kyon's big internal soliloquy trying to decide what he really wanted was one of the character's best moments.
Old 2011-09-04, 20:37   Link #600
cbfox99
Scrumy!

Crispin Freeman=Tomokazu Sugita

Johnny Yong Bosch=Daisuke Ono

Michelle Ruff DOES NOT=Minori Chihara

Well not the alt. Yuki anyway. I have to agree with AbZeroNow. She just couldn't do it. She sounded like a cross between
too timid, too scared and very annoying. Michelle played the original Yuki spot on, of course, but with alt. Yuki it was like nails on a chalkboard, you just did not want to listen to her. I almost covered my ears when she's talking to Kyon about the library incident at her apt. I have to say that at times she was more annoying to listen to than Mikuru!
The problem was she just didn't sound like Yuki at all.
When Minori Chihara played both versions of Yuki she still sounded like Yuki! However, Michelle played alt. Yuki so bad that I honestly thought she was another voice actor. This shows her versatility as a voice actor yes, but it's not so good when she's trying to portray the same character.
I saw the dub at Otakon so when Kyon and adult Mikuru went to the Yuki from 3 years ago I nearly jumped out of the chair and said "Yes, now THAT sounds like Yuki!" I was so happy to hear the voice I've loved all these years.
So IMO the cast did an awesome job except for Michelle's alt. Yuki but since her part was so small anyway I bit my lip and sucked it up. By the end of the movie I was so happy to have seen the dub and was so thankful that it didn't change all that much from the original that I didn't care anymore about moe Yuki or lack there of.

Last edited by cbfox99; 2011-09-05 at 09:16.
Closed Thread