AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-06-24, 09:08   Link #381
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
One Year On...

2009 really was a horrible year for the deaths of many great artists all over the world, which of includes MJ himself.
In tribute to his 1st anniversary (how time flies, eh), I'm uploading a bunch of pictures from the MJ events that I attended in Tokyo over the last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma
This is moving. The whole world is dancing to MJ as a tribute.

there are more...

How can you not move by this. I know. I can't find one from Japan..
I got a quite a few videos of fans dancing at the events I was at, but I may need to figure how to stick it on youtube or something first.
But many thanks Karasuma for the global dance videos, I'm sure many events will pop up for the anniversary this week, feel free to upload and share in there

As for me:

Meguro Shoukan in Meguro
(this was officially my first time clubbing in Japan and it was in a very small joint, with lovely people and warm atmosphere. Good times had, though not many pics on the MJ stuff, (it was 80's night) so just a few pics here)

Club Axxcis in Shibuya
This was an amazing event that'll forever remain a happy memory. It was my first "day club", non-smoking event, open to kids and grannies, and ran from 2pm-7.30pm
(it was extended for us).
Lots of performances, dances and good times <3
This event was to celebrate what would have been his 51st Birthday. I hope they have another for what would be his 52nd.

Club Casablanca in Shinjuku

First club in the red light district that I went to, but it was surprisingly small and again a quiet family affair.
Non smoking (I love the Japanese fans for deciding this), had a cuuuuute 9 year old impersonator performing all night as well as other MJ impersonators, dancers (and random salarymen, getting together and performing Smooth Criminal) xD and a pole dancer
(My first time seeing one and she was jaw, droppingly amazing)
The evening was to air 'This is it' Movie around 0.30am but I caught the last train home. This event was for Valentines day.

Your physical presence may be gone, but your legacy will forever live on...
Eternal thanks for the music and the magic

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-24, 19:56   Link #382
cayo

Michael was an inspirational to me and I hope he is in heaven.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 06:34   Link #383
Ahiru77
あひる

The only time in history when man, music, magic and movement made the perfect union.

Rest in peace applehead. <3
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 06:49   Link #384
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Fans Celebrate all over the world
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertain...s/10412117.stm
Quote:
Meanwhile, prisoners in the Philippines are marking the anniversary by staging a version of Thriller for invited members of the public on Saturday.

The inmates of Cebu jail became an internet phenomenon when they were filmed performing the dance in 2007.
Okay.... if anyone catches this on youtube this weekend, please, please pleeease post it here and bug me!
And the sand art is pretty damn awesome, my heart feels little heavy though...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2010-06-25, 12:07   Link #385
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Wow, it feels like it has been longer than a year.

R.I.P.

GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-25, 13:49   Link #386
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Michael Jackson was awesome. I really liked most of his work, even though I'm not into pop. The Earth Song is just plain epic. Too bad his success went downhill in the previous two decades. Now that he's dead however, his music is booming...maybe that's why he is dead.

I think I read somewhere that he was the overall most successfull artist of the 20th century. I could be mistaken though, can someone confirm or deny that?
Old 2010-06-25, 18:41   Link #387
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Michael Jackson was awesome. I really liked most of his work, even though I'm not into pop. The Earth Song is just plain epic. Too bad his success went downhill in the previous two decades. Now that he's dead however, his music is booming...maybe that's why he is dead.

I think I read somewhere that he was the overall most successfull artist of the 20th century. I could be mistaken though, can someone confirm or deny that?
More or less true
Quote:
Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009) was an American recording artist, entertainer, and philanthropist. Referred to as the King of Pop, Jackson is recognized as the most successful entertainer of all time by Guinness World Records. His contribution to music, dance and fashion, along with a much-publicized personal life, made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades
You can read the rest here
Or read a nicer compilation of his life and works on BBC, from this link:
One year later, where things stand:
Quote:
In death, Jackson achieved the musical comeback that he had yearned for in the latter years of his life.

He was the biggest selling album artist of 2009, with 8.3 million sales, the vast majority of which were posthumous.
In the past year, nearly 9 million of his albums have sold in the US alone, according to chart analyists Nielsen SoundScan.

This is It, the film that documented the singer's rehearsals for his London concerts, is the highest-grossing concert film and documentary in cinematic history.

Sony Music Entertainment will release 10 albums of Jackson's music over the next seven years, including one of previously unreleased material.
And yes, its stupid human mentality for us to only appreciate and forgive (most times) in death, when the human being is no longer with us on Earth.
It's the same with Elvis and definitely the same with Tupac (the dude's made millions by being dead)
No doubt SME, will be reeling in the cash with whatever they can release form MJ over the next decade (and being happy for it).
But he didn't need to die to help get his career back. The sold out tickets for his concert proved that, millions would support him regardless and we'd have loved to have been able to see him on stage where he belongs the one last time.
Perhaps, it was all our comeuppence that he passed away when he did....

Old 2010-06-25, 20:38   Link #388
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Hey, thanks for all the info! :O
Old 2010-06-26, 02:48   Link #389
animAe

It doesn't even feel like it's been a year since his passing.. He was such an amazing person and a great inspiration to soo many of us. I loved watching him sing and dance, but what I really loved about him is how he was helping the world, through his music You'll be missed forever MJ!
animAe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 18:33   Link #390
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Time truly flies, huh...

Miss ya Michael.
It's a blessing to see the spirit of your music videos still live on even if you are no longer on this earth (the Hollywood tonight video), it made me feel like a kid back in the 90’s again.
You've inspired millions, created countless stars like no other human being has, have revolutionised love for dance and music as we know it beyond genres.

Hope you're resting in peace away from our own pathetic human race who love to scorn, judge and admonish those they can't understand or have no care for.
The rest of us will still continue trying our best with our own dreams and let our own light shine to others as best as we can <3

Seeing this new vid just brought a tear to my eye. (esp from 2.58 in the vid)
The story, the dance scenes, the essence of 'fun' that is rarely or no longer seen in today's pop/urban vids took me back to the 90s when he was releasing often. Rather, this confirmed what I felt back as a kid to be true as I feel it now some odd 20 years later
Uploaded March 9th, so fairly recent, check it out ^^

I'm sure as America enters the 25th, the news feeds will increase, but if any of you lot snag some 'interesting' ways fans are remembering around the world, please, add into here, let us know

Quote:
It’s been two years since the death of Michael Jackson, and his influence on today’s music is still more present then ever. On the eve of the second anniversary of his death, fans continue to pay tribute to the King of Pop—in ways that range from creepy to fun.

While there to be no shortage of Jackson music on your local radio stations and TV channels over the weekend, there are several bigger options for those who want to get out there and be a part of a communal experience to commemorate the late King of Pop, ranging in price and accessibility.

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-06-24 at 18:47.
Old 2011-06-25, 03:16   Link #391
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Hopes a group of cosplayers really do this :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 04:16   Link #392
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Better still, an OFFICIAL video by Arc System Works.

Song: Smooth Criminal
Starring: Hazama

Don't deny it. You know you want it.
Old 2011-06-25, 05:57   Link #393
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Miku Miku Dance project, eh.
Sometimes the Japanese, truly to outdo us all around the world xD
Makes me wonder how bloody long it must have taken to program/design the entire 'bad' video tho :\
Nice vid Saintess, though big skirts are wasted with that dance, so much leg work, the mini skirt girl looked better with the performance

It seems from the MMD series there's also Miss Miku herself (and some other characters) dancing to 'Bad', that vid is in spoilers as I'm bringing back an old fave of mine, below it

Spoiler:

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-06-25 at 06:14.
Old 2011-06-25, 08:25   Link #394
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

now I want to see a Miss Miku version w/ Weird Al's "Bad" parody
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 09:04   Link #395
JRendell
Manga Addict

Why's Miku wearing Moka's Rosario?
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 12:28   Link #396
JC...
I am a Pie

Michael Jackson died?

AGAIN?
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 12:48   Link #397
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Hopes a group of cosplayers really do this :

Not bad, but there's an awful lot of clipping going on with those long skirts.
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 13:22   Link #398
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Michael Jackson died?

AGAIN?
He's a zombie remember?
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 13:30   Link #399
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Miku Miku Dance project, eh.
Sometimes the Japanese, truly to outdo us all around the world xD
Makes me wonder how bloody long it must have taken to program/design the entire 'bad' video tho :\
Nice vid Saintess, though big skirts are wasted with that dance, so much leg work, the mini skirt girl looked better with the performance
All the characters are from Touhou, and the miniskirt girl is Sakuya.

It was actually done with a tongue-in-cheek, the witch in the middle (Marisa) is known to be a kleptomaniac in the Touhou-verse, always stealing things from other people without the victims knowing that it is her, hence she is sort of a "smooth criminal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Not bad, but there's an awful lot of clipping going on with those long skirts.
Well, MMD is dated technology as compared to full 3D renders today as it is homebrew, but nonetheless, I felt that it was done in excellent aesthetic sense.

Quote:
It seems from the MMD series there's also Miss Miku herself (and some other characters) dancing to 'Bad', that vid is in spoilers as I'm bringing back an old fave of mine, below it

Spoiler:

The MMDs are great, but one of MJ's songs that will be difficult for them to make will probably be this :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 19:54   Link #400
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Can't view it, youtube's being lame and region blocking it for Japan (or outside US?)
So can't see.

I was asking for fan based stuff around the world but looks like the MJ related producers were already ahead of me.
The 'Behind the Mask' fan project, actually called fans to submit video's for different parts of the overall video which they've compiled together. Registrations are long closed of course, but here's how they were auditioning.

The video was released worldwide exclusively on June 14th 2011, I guess just in time for his 2nd anniversary.

The video can be watched on the website here, while the behind the scenes is linked below.
Again, region blocked on my end so I can't see it (short of messing with youtube's settings or something, but if it's IP based then I'm screwed) -.-;;

Anyways, enjoy the vid, my thoughts on it where summed up here.
Quote:
Just watched the 'behind the mask' fan video on the website. That more or less sums MJ nicely.
A man who truly brought world peace by smashing barries of race, gender, age, nationality, ability (and even the animals get in there, lol) to all unite, all dance, all sing, all celebrate like no other human has done before.

That's a legacy that'll never, ever die ♥
PS: If the video I embedded is the actual fan based video, then ignore my 'behind the scene's comment', just means if youtube fails (like it does for me), then there's always the MJ website itself

Last edited by Mystique; 2011-06-25 at 20:22.

Tags
music