AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-03, 13:22   Link #1
Froggy

Send a message via AIM to Froggy
Girlfriend doesnt like anime - can she be trusted?

So you find this beautiful lass. She seems great. Then you realize that she dislikes anime. She thinks the animation is too jerky. She thinks they have horribly large eyes. She wont watch it. So you ask yourself, "Can she be trusted?"

I am curious on the best way to sway your skeptical girlfriend to the darkside? Maybe some good anime to start her on. Everyone i have shown Naruto to has gotten hooked, but they were also all guys.
Old 2004-05-03, 13:41   Link #2
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

she doesn't have to like it. why can't you just let her be?
Old 2004-05-03, 13:53   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Why worry about something like that? Just find things that you both like to do and do them. Nagging her about anime is not gonna win you any points either.

As far as trying to get her to watch stuff, a Miyazaki movie is the best bet. Just watch one with her and let her figure out for herself if it's any good. Even if she likes it, leave it up to her to ask you about seeing any more.
Old 2004-05-03, 14:16   Link #4
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

don't worry bout it
but show her Rose of Versailles and/or Aishiteru ze Baby if you wanna "bring her to the darkside"
if Yuzu-chan can't win someone over, there is no hope for humanity...
Old 2004-05-03, 14:36   Link #5
Thany
Unfair

There are a lot of people that just don't like anime...
That's sad, but true ; there's no way to help it.
But anyway, I don't think you should think that someone that doesn't like anime shouldn't be trusted, that just comes from personal tastes.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:14   Link #6
7thMethuselah

one solution, dump her and get another one ...

or

try KGNE or Full Metal Panic
Old 2004-05-03, 15:14   Link #7
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
"Can she be trusted?" I think the answer to this is clear. No. She will now forever burn in the flames of darkness. Anyhow, some people just don't like it no matter what. My dad for example. He just doesn't like that type of stuff for some reason. If you like her enough then just let it be. Anime isnt everything. If you really want to try to get her to like it I would definately choose the series carefully. Something exciting, funny, and not so kiddy or corny.
Old 2004-05-03, 15:20   Link #8
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

She are teh evil.

Seriously, its not the end of the world if she never likes it but anime is such a time consuming hobby that having a significant other who at least likes some of it cant hurt. I will recommend the ones my gf likes.

Escaflowne
Chobits
Ranma
Inuyasha
Dragon Ball Z
Love Hina

Try a little of everything. Dont stereotype her and try to show her a bunch of mushy romance shows or comedies. Throw a little action in there. There are so many different kinds of anime that something is bound to stick. If she out and out refuses to try then maybe you should find someone new. As I said before, it's not the end of the world if she doesnt like it but when someone just refuses to even give your interests a try then I dont think it will bode well for the rest of the relationship.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:03   Link #9
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I think this is somewhat humorous and disgusting at the same time.

Your girlfriend doesn't like anime... So natural you question her loyalty and devotion to you, then try to figure out ways to force something she doesn't like onto her. Seriously, if that's the only way you can see and deal with the situation you don't desire her affections, loyalty or devotion. She doesn't like anime, leave it at that and find something else to do with her that the two of you enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
As I said before, it's not the end of the world if she doesnt like it but when someone just refuses to even give your interests a try then I dont think it will bode well for the rest of the relationship.
Nor would it bode well for the relationship if you try to force your interests onto the other party, regardless of whatever subvert methods you might come up with to accomplish the task. If you can't respect her dislike of something you like without trying to change the other person's view to coincide with your's, then you need to sit down and re-evaluate your prioritoies.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:07   Link #10
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
I think this is somewhat humorous and disgusting at the same time.

Your girlfriend doesn't like anime... So natural you question her loyalty and devotion to you, then try to figure out ways to force something she doesn't like onto her. Seriously, if that's the only way you can see and deal with the situation you don't desire her affections, loyalty or devotion. She doesn't like anime, leave it at that and find something else to do with her that the two of you enjoy.

Nor would it bode well for the relationship if you try to force your interests onto the other party, regardless of whatever subvert methods you might come up with to accomplish the task. If you can't respect her dislike of something you like without trying to change the other person's view to coincide with your's, then you need to sit down and re-evaluate your prioritoies.
I in no way insinuated that he should force her in any way. I'm just saying that if she out and out refuses without giving it a try then it could be a sign of things to come with other interests.
I also dont think he is seriously questioning her loyalty and devotion. More than likely he is just wondering if there are any titles he should try and is approaching the whole subject from a humorous standpoint. I could be wrong though.
Old 2004-05-03, 16:08   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Something else about all this - anime is only a hobby. It doesn't have to take up a lot of your time. And you may lose interest eventually. But you can always come back to anime later; the girl might not stick around.

If you really want a serious relationship, make that the priority.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-05-03 at 17:13.
Old 2004-05-03, 17:00   Link #12
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

another thing, if she doesn't like anime, it does not mean she's not trustworthy (not trusting someone based on hobbies...bleh)
however, if she starts to try to change YOU, who are interested in anime, to something SHE'S interested in, you have a powerful compromising chip
Old 2004-05-03, 18:41   Link #13
bluemist
i am the mist

Having differences doesn't mean you are not compatible with each other. One part of a loving relationship is to accept the person that your partner is even though you don't care, don't like, or really hate some trivial things about him/her. Love is what's important.

One important thing to note is that life is not like a Love Hina anime or even a bishoujo game. Special people don't come into our lives frequently. And so the moment I see this beautiful lass and confirm that 'she's the one', I would go through great lengths (even ditching my hobbies a bit), to provide time for her.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:43   Link #14
sothis

not dating someone because they have a different interest than you is retarded.

do you require that people like to eat the exact same type of food as you? or that they must like the exact same kind of music? forcing someone to like anime just because you do is just dumb. be happy you find someone caring and mentally/personality compatible with you, and worry about extremely petty things like a mutual like of animation elsewhere.
Old 2004-05-03, 19:55   Link #15
Ero-Senpai
Hm Otaku Sapiens i think?

I too had the same problem... well sorta my g/f didn't like anime at all. to her they were just cartoons.. yes I too was shocked to hear that.
but i stuck to my guns and kept watching anime staying up all night to watch my recently acquired goodies. She began to nag as most non anime ppl do. But i told her flat out this is something I like to do it makes me happy to escape reality for 30 minutes at a time, if you don't like it fine i'm still gonna watch it tho.

point is my young friend is that if she can't accept the fact that this is what you like to do to kick back, and try to be understanding, then maybe she ain't the one buddy.

as for trying to make her like it i have to agree with everyone else, thats a bad choice on your part and you may push her away. after a while who knows she may be willing to sit thru a few episodes just to spend time with ya.

words of wisdom from your local ero senpai
Old 2004-05-03, 19:57   Link #16
tektonik
I can see that speed

Don't try to force her to like it or you will be one girl less
Old 2004-05-03, 20:42   Link #17
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Choosing reality with or escaping reality without ..... if you feel the way that your post revealed to me, you are very much consumed by your own ignorence, for one to feel threatened by such a thing is showing your own simple minded ideals. or.. perhaps it's as simple as you wanting your ol' lady to dress the part of said character but her not liking anime is killing that plan, damn.
Old 2004-05-03, 20:54   Link #18
Ero-Senpai
Hm Otaku Sapiens i think?

i have to agree with distorted, there is a fine line of escaping reality with/without. i was fortunate that my gf saw how much i like anime and made the choice to watch it with me and understand what i saw in them . The real question is " are those 30 minutes of enjoyment worth losing this special someone?" before dropping this lass i suggest trying to compromise. maybe you can set two nights aside to do something that each of you will enjoy? the fact that your interested in something that she is will show her that your willing to come halfway if she will, and the brownie points can't hurt.
we are not trying to preach here or tell ya what to do we just trying to help i hope that you will listen to our words and think.
Old 2004-05-03, 21:26   Link #19
|)arK_Nin
Oi Oi Luffy!

cant you find better things to do then try watch anime with her
Old 2004-05-03, 21:52   Link #20
LynnieS

Froggy - Like others have already said, leave her be, and try to compromise; otherwise, yes, you'll lose the girl for what, a form of entertainment? Liking/loving someone for liking what you like is, IMHO, narcissistic.
Closed Thread