AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-23, 11:04   Link #1
Strages
Animefan :)

Send a message via MSN to Strages
Looking for Special animes.. ones that stay in your mind

Hello everyone,

Every now and then in between your normal weekly anime series you want an old one or a new ongoing on that you know will stay in your mind forever.

With this I think of series as:

claymore - beautifully drawn .. just liked it also the manga btw
ergo proxie - absolutely love this kind of animes! plus the characters are sooo nice
dragonball - nostalgia (still have so finish first part.. my bad)
mmh kinda liked
azumanga daioh - absolute nmr 1 slice of life
golden boy - this one is one of a kind.. no comments on its awesomeness
air gear - really like its setting, music plus artstyle (artstyle in the manga is most awesome) love the manga!
deathnote - yeah famous one.. but i liked it so much ( better than code geass in my opinion.. no offence... i am just not a mecha fan)
ah my goddess (not the best but nice too + still going on with the manga)
paradise kiss ( super, bit weird but most of the time i like that.. beautifull artstyle)

mmh there will be more of course.. but those are kinda quality animes/series that i like the most or remember the most.

things that i dont really like:
mecha... just dont like it to much
romance animes where he/she constantly dissappoints everyone :P

hope you can help me!

tx
Old 2009-01-23, 14:04   Link #2
signorRossi

Mononoke - Umi Bozou arc especially
Last Exile - most of all because of the world design done for it
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro - pure nostalgia
Cowboy Bebop - classic - interestingly I liked it more the second time i watched it (a few years in between )

SignorRossi.
Old 2009-01-23, 18:11   Link #3
zareba

Kino No Tabi

In another world, there exist many countries, each with different cultures, customs, and traditions. From technological marvels to folk legends, each location yields a vast wealth of insight of its people: their hopes and their dreams, their failures and fears. Kino is a traveler whose goal is to visit as many new places as possible, learning about others' ways of life, but also making sure to stay clear of their affairs. Together with the talking motorrad Hermes, Kino sets out to explore the beautiful world and meet its inhabitants, wherever they may be.

Mushishi

It isn't unusual for a person to feel that the world around them is strange and has unexpected secrets lying just beyond their sight. However, for most people this is just an occasional sensation that greets them upon awakening or chases them into sleep. For the mushi researcher Ginko, it isn't a feeling at all; it is a knowledge which guides his travels and motivates his life. Found in the cracks between what is conceivable and what is not, are the varied life forms collectively known as mushi. They surround us and affect us, but their intensely different nature makes them unrecognizable to most. Ginko brings these life forms into perspective for the lives of those most affected and most in need of an explanation.

Serial Experiments Lain

"I have only abandoned my body, I still live here" - are the words emailed to friends of Chisa, several days after her death by suicide. As Lain delves deeper into the world of the "Wired" (also known as the internet), the line between it and reality becomes more and more unclear. Close the world, open the nExt.
Old 2009-01-25, 06:34   Link #4
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Last Exile - Studio Gonzo's epic. Range Murata character designs, a spellbinding soundtrack, awesome animation, a solid character cast. Just magic.

Code Geass - Series of the decade, enough said.

Elfen Lied - Few series get the quality this was given.

Nodame Cantabile - Brilliant character cast, very good music.

Mushishi - Very unqiue, calming and natural series.

Kurenai - Very unique focus on characters rather than story and exceptional animation.

FLCL - A miasma of random chaos, modern culture and anime parodies, with a brilliant 'coming of age' tale.

Trigun - Classic Western-style series. Great mix of laughs, action and tragedy.

Welcome to the NHK - Very honest, frank yet funny series about anime fans/hikikomori in modern life.
Old 2009-01-26, 08:20   Link #5
Strages

post thanks all for the awesome replies.. gonna try some out for sure!
Old 2009-01-26, 09:12   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Haibane Renmei
Quote:
"I just saw an amazingly sad and thought-provoking anime yesterday called Haibane Renmei. The story is heavy with Christian themes of sin and salvation (which is very unusual for Japanese animation), although there is no reference to any particular Christian mythology. But these themes of sin and salvation are in some measure also Jewish, and indeed are now largely universal.

"We all wonder what will become of us ultimately, whether and how anything we do here and now can influence our final disposition, and we all hope that, somehow, even if we've gotten everything completely wrong, that there might be a compassionate Father-in-Heaven who knows how we struggled, and will accept us even if we have nothing to offer other than our failures.

"But our deepest wish of all is not to be left alone."

— taken from the blog of Big-S Skeptic
It's hard to overstate the emotional impact that Haibane Renmei had on me. It was the right show that came at the right time for me. It's not an exaggeration when I say that this show helped to change my outlook on life, and pointed me towards more fruitful pursuits rather than to continue dwelling on a looming sense of loneliness and isolation. It has been, and still is, my favourite anime series today.
Old 2009-01-27, 19:44   Link #7
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I second Mononoke and Lain..
also Texhnolize, Monster, Berserk, Hitsuji no uta, GTO and ill think more right now i cant think...
Princess Monoke also.
Old 2009-01-27, 20:05   Link #8
itisjustme

Seirei no Moribito

Easily the series that made the deepest impression on me these past few years, great protagonist, incredible characterization by anime standards, excellent story, nice action scenes, perfect pacing, great atmosphere, nice realization, good art, etc etc.

Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal

Old favorite, fantastic animation for its time, maybe the most intense passage of the whole story, worth a look even if you're not familiar with Rurouni Kenshin.

Full Metal Panic and FMP! the Second Raid

Strong and loveable female lead, mostly character-driven, great mix of comedy, serious plot, and action, worth a shot even if you're not into giant fighting robots.

Scapped Princess

Maybe not entirely as strong as the 3 others, typical fantasy setting (with a twist), conventional plot, but the realization is excellent, great drawing, cute title character, overall a great ride.

I'll also second Mushishi even if it's pretty episodic.

If I can throw in a couple movies:

The girl who lept through time - Subtle in all it does, be it comedy, drama, or light romance, one of the best anime movies I've seen.

Sword of the stranger - If you like samurai action you'll dig this one.

The Garden of Sinners - More style than substance IMO, but terrific animation and art coupled with great atmosphere makes it worth checking out.
Old 2009-01-28, 01:16   Link #9
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I second Haibane Renmei--it is the most thought-provoking series I know, and my all-time favorite.
Old 2009-01-28, 04:18   Link #10
metamorphic
ことわり
*Fansubber

Have a look at Bounen no Xamdou aka Xam'd: Lost Memories. Each episode is like a travel into another world and era, and the characters are all beautifully developed. The story is also absolutely amazing.
Old 2009-01-28, 13:27   Link #11
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Saikano one of my favorite, well draw very emotional story.
Voice of a distant star very short sober, but make me discover Makoto Shinkai.
Old 2009-01-28, 19:29   Link #12
TianLiang

Aria: all 3 seasons
I personally preferred this one as a slice of life to azumanga daioh.
The animation is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and the background music is as serene and calming as you could get.

Blue Drop
This one is severely underrated, this would make most people cry with its, imo, terrific ending. Endings are always important for any storyline, and this one is definitely a favorite. It's supposedly a yuri anime though you never witness any major moments that would mark it as one.

Itazura na Kiss
Best combination of all romances out there though there are a couple of cliches (but not as much as other romances....). It overall has quite a happy feel and once you watch this, other romance animes will seem pretty pointless.

Now and Then, Here and There
YOU WILL CRY... This one is just plain sad. I'm really surprised it isn't recommended more often. It's an older one but it's about as well written as Code Geass or Death Note. You'll start questioning everything around you once you finish it as it deals with quite a few ethical issues. Its end may or may not leave you wishing for more though it will keep you glued to your seat for a few hours.......

Today in Class 5-2
You'll laugh......a lot..... 4 simple OVA's with like 10 small stories in each of them, comical and fun to watch more than once

Yami to boushi to hon no tabibito
I just finished this....It's confusing but just think of it as some person picking out random books to read, each covering a different world. But despite this, it's a nice anime that you won't get bored of at all. It is based off a hentai game...but there isn't much evidence of that except for the exaggerated body features, which i personally didn't find difficult to ignore. It's another yuri, but it's really quite touching imo, though different people may like the ending depending upon their interpretations of the events to come.

Touka Gettan
Since i mentioned Yami to...tabibito, this one was also made by Root, and is based off another hentai game....though this one seems to focus a bit more on that aspect. The plot line is also kinda confusing, some ppl recommend that you watch it backwards (aired in reverse chronology), but in hindsight, i would recommend that you watch it in the order that they aired it. I believe it would have a greater impact that way.

Ranma 1/2
Haven't seen this recommended recently....it's like dragon ball in its length, time of creation, and theme of martial arts, but it's superior in many ways because...well...i didn't get bored of it (no offense). You won't regret watching it if you do.
Old 2009-01-28, 21:02   Link #13
devildog23
Summerlurking

EF A Tale of Memories - I thought this was one of the better portrayed romance anime. Its not my favorite romance, but it is definitely the most memorable. (no dissapointments here)
Darker than Black - Dark and mysterious atmosphere paired with a great cast and plot make this a memorable anime.
Fate/stay Night - This series I'm probably a little biased to because the games' story was so great that I remember things from the game as the anime. Nevertheless, an amazing anime with topnotch characters and good action.
Great Teacher Onizuka - I don't know if its because its so funny, or if its because Onizuka is such an awesome character, but this series remains one of my favorites and most memorable.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Well I can't really describe this one, but its definitely memorable. It has elements of romance, originality, and even psychological elements.

Currently Airing
Shikabane Hime - has a LOT of potential. The characters are great and the plot so far is good. The action could be better, but just the characters make me want to watch the next episode.

"Try them out" suggestions.
Macross Frontier - Well I was reluctant to suggest this because its mecha, but the characters are great (especially Sheryl)
Evangelion - this is also mecha, but its currently my favorite anime. Plus this is the anime that had the biggest effect on me.
Mushi-Uta - it finished airing, but a lot of questions were left unanswered.

I'll second some series that I would also suggest.

Saikano - even though I disliked it, it will stay in your mind. You might like it so give it a try.
Monster - a great psychological/mystery/drama series that I thought was the greatest "real-life" anime.
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
FLCL
- just the way it was told made it great to me.
Old 2009-01-28, 22:23   Link #14
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
School Days - it's memorable, but it's not quite the type of "memorable" you're looking for =P

I'd suggest Simoun, but then it's somewhat mecha, involving pilots and aircraft. But it's beautifully drawn and the plot is very deep.
Old 2009-01-29, 04:42   Link #15
Strages

wow awesome anime recommendations

have to note that i have already seen:
EF A Tale of Memories
Darker than Black
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
School Days

and believe berserk also :P

i didnt like all of them but those who did were indeed very nice to watch

sure gonna try out
Haibane Renmei and a couple of others

tx again
Old 2009-02-05, 00:53   Link #16
Tier3

Serial Experiments Lain
Amatsuki
FLCL

And of course THE FORBIDDEN WORD OF SUGGESTION THREADS!!

Evangelion
Old 2009-02-05, 01:01   Link #17
adonisvillamor
Hajime No Ippo fan

Thumbs up Hajime No Ippo

This is one of those great sports anime spinoffs. Very funny and inspiring. It made me even reaize that boxing is not just about punching but there are various techniques and situations applied. although some parts are very exagerated (of course it's an anime) unlike other anime's however, the series is not about bad people pcking on the weak then evenualy getting owned by the protagonist in the end. No one is evil here though some are rude or have strange attitudes. Every punch thrown has a story of the person, their goals, ideals, happiness and sorrow.

This is an anime worth watching.
Closed Thread