AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Majutsu no Index - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 10 21.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 23.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 23.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 21.74%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-03-18, 22:08   Link #81
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
He has arguably the strongest power in the universe, one that so far has consistently defeated enemies that were supposed to be way above his powerlevel.

I'd say Touma is strong all right.
Well, I see it both ways, he is both incredibly strong and incredibly weak. his power is strong, but the way he has to apply makes him extremely vulnerable at the same time. The only way I have seen him consistently win battles so far is by fighting desperatly for his life.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 22:15   Link #82
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Index is the title character and by default is the female lead
Wizard of Oz example

Quote:
with her playing (like it or not) more of a role than any character save for Touma.
This is a logical tautology, so it doesn't really prove anything.

Quote:
She doesn't play the same kind of role as a Mikoto, but she's still part of the central cast.
central cast != primary character != female lead

Unless your definition of female lead is just being the most important of the female casts, even if they are not really prominent characters overall.

Quote:
Touma is the main character. Index is the female lead, despite her being in the background more often than not.
Unless you are using the previous definition of female lead, this is a logical contradiction.

Quote:
She's the catalyst for Touma's life getting mixed up with all these magicians, after all. Everyone else is secondary and changes their level of importance from arc to arc, with Mikoto being the most prominent of these (and even she only plays a prominent role in one arc to date, plus the one shot and [sorta] this last arc).
The same case as the Wizard of Oz. You can perfectly be the only catalyst for every event in the whole series and still be a one line character.

My point overall being that this series is very plot oriented, rather than character oriented. So arguing about hierarchies or who is more important than who is quite a moot point.

Quote:
Well, I see it both ways, he is both incredibly strong and incredibly weak. his power is strong, but the way he has to apply makes him extremely vulnerable at the same time. The only way I have seen him consistently win battles so far is by fighting desperatly for his life.
More than being strong or weak, he just messes up with natural order of things. His power is most effective with people who are most reliant on their magical/esper powers (in general, the most powerful ones), but less effective against those people who just use their powers as a supplement to their fighting style (e.g. Tsuchimikado, every low leveled esper, and everyone with at least some amount of battle training given that Touma fighting prowess doesn't go beyond basic street fighting).

Last edited by Proto; 2009-03-18 at 22:42.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 22:59   Link #83
VRMN
Dangoism

Send a message via AIM to VRMN
My definition of female lead is just that. The most important female character. I find it really hard to argue that she's not a main character. But, anyway, it's not really that kind of series, you're right. But I do think you're downplaying Index a fair bit, and I don't even especially care for her. I just found it surprising that someone would argue that Index isn't a main character, since really, if she doesn't count, than neither does anyone aside from Touma.
VRMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:05   Link #84
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

More than being strong or weak, he just messes up with natural order of things. His power is most effective with people who are most reliant on their magical/esper powers (in general, the most powerful ones), but less effective against those people who just use their powers as a supplement to their fighting style (e.g. Tsuchimikado, every low leveled esper, and everyone with at least some amount of battle training given that Touma fighting prowess doesn't go beyond basic street fighting).

Well that is also true. But it also leads me to this statement:

Toma's greatest weakness? Bullets.

Wonder when someone will figure this out?
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 04:11   Link #85
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Bullets, knives, swords, arrows.... basically any regular human weapon. *shrug*

And Izzard already figured that out, and used it. Too bad he started playing around instead of simply shredding him to pieces with his 10-barreled gun to begin with.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 09:06   Link #86
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Well that is also true. But it also leads me to this statement:

Toma's greatest weakness? Bullets.

Wonder when someone will figure this out?

Well, I would imagine not many Magicians are keen on firearms, the only Science guy he really fought against so far is Accelerator and I don't think he's the type to be packing heat.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 09:24   Link #87
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Ugh, mediocre episode is mediocre. Other than Index manipulating the golem and that music that was playing during that part, I'm not impressed. I've really gotten tired of Touma always talking about what he could have done; it's annoying, and makes him look like some kind of weakling.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-23, 17:42   Link #88
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

pretty good. lotta saving
Old 2009-05-27, 03:09   Link #89
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Catching up as fast as I can...

I laughed when Hyouka made the realization that she was scarred for life twice within her first day of living in the world.

"The first time I spoke... The first time a man saw my body... The first time I went to a game center... The second time a man saw my body..."

Rather than being an entity of concentrated esper power products, she's more of an entity of concentrated desirable anime girl traits. Long twenty pound hair, large round glasses, large twenty pound chest, kind caring nature, and introverted personality? Yet strangely, Misaka is still the dominant female among the fans.