AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 3 8.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 20.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 11.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 20.59%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 14.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.94%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.94%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 5.88%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 03:39   Link #81
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
I beg to differ. I say Marina soaking Alicia was the best part of the episode. That sniper is so full of win.
You did notice that he said funniest scene, right?
Old 2009-07-23, 04:52   Link #82
kyosak
poo

What the hell man... How can Alicia be trying harder than Welkin to make a relationship happen. Girls do not wait around like Alicia... Welkin has it so easy and he is being so indecisive and dumb. >.>;

I thought it was a good episode, though somewhat frustrating.
Old 2009-07-23, 06:00   Link #83
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Well, after hearing Largo's story, I suppose Welkin isnt being dense about the situation but rather trying to keep his friendship with Faldio and not mess up in the way Largo did.
Old 2009-07-23, 06:58   Link #84
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otani-kun View Post
Well, after hearing Largo's story, I suppose Welkin isnt being dense about the situation but rather trying to keep his friendship with Faldio and not mess up in the way Largo did.
This. From teh anime it's obvious that "keeping friendships" is more important to him.
Old 2009-07-23, 07:17   Link #85
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't anymore know if I'm watching a war drama with some underlying romance (good) or a hokey and awkward romance with war as the backdrop (bad).
Old 2009-07-23, 10:41   Link #86
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't anymore know if I'm watching a war drama with some underlying romance (good) or a hokey and awkward romance with war as the backdrop (bad).
There's a war going on?
WTF, when did this happen?

You would think it wouldn't kill them to at least animate one full battle scene....
Old 2009-07-23, 10:50   Link #87
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
There's a war going on?
WTF, when did this happen?
Hopefully this is the kind of response the director has each and everytime he reads the script for this weeks episode.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:21   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

You know, I just want to say... as much as I understand why so many of you hate this adaptation, I really don't mind at all the "high school-esque" feel of the romance in this anime. After all, that's my favourite genre of anime. Even the frustration everyone has over Welkin's lack of decisiveness... that's a very important trope for the sort of story they're telling and the way they've developed his character so far in the anime. If anything, it would be inconsistent for him to suddenly "man-up" without a major catalyst based on the way they explained his character early on. Plus, I think they're deliberately playing up the "childishness" of the characters in order to further emphasize the difference between the "militia" and the "military", and to make this a sort of coming-of-age story.

So yeah... although I can see on the surface why everyone's getting so angry, I have to say that I personally am loving this show the way it's being presented. I've been accused of liking crap anime before, though, so this probably doesn't come as a huge surprise to anyone. I guess the problem this anime has, at least around here, is that it wasn't able to find its niche. I for one will certainly be buying the DVDs, though (and wishing they were Blu-Rays...).

I guess all that to say that although I don't think by any means that the reasons people dislike this anime are wrong or unfair (especially given the difference in tone compared to the game), I also don't think it's necessarily wrong to like the anime for different reasons.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:34   Link #89
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Well maybe then they should have made all characters school kids age as well, because it is rather disturbing seeing poeple around 25 acting like they are 13. You really start asking yourself if their teen emo drama may really be connected with some brain damage they received somewhere during their teen years, which stopped their mental growth.
Old 2009-07-23, 13:37   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You know, I just want to say... as much as I understand why so many of you hate this adaptation, I really don't mind at all the "high school-esque" feel of the romance in this anime. After all, that's my favourite genre of anime.
It's also one of my favorite genre's, though i don't see a place for it at all within this series, for reasons like Darknemo2000 has been pointing out.

Also, there is a war going on, though these characters don't seem to know that, and just carry out this high school love situation instead. It just doesn't work.

& before you or anyone says it, i'm not saying such things just because i'm a game player.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:00   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Also, there is a war going on, though these characters don't seem to know that, and just carry out this high school love situation instead. It just doesn't work.
I don't know... it works for me? We look at war as being this great abstract seriousness where heavy foreboding feelings of impending tragedy permeate the air at every turn. And yes, there's certainly some of that. But these people are just civilians who were thrown into this situation and haven't really had a chance to grow up normally. To them, this is just part of life -- it's what they do. And, at their age, they may not have really come to terms with what this all means. I don't see this great dichotomy of a high school romance taking place in a war-like setting when they've made it clear that these are not, by any means, fully-trained soldiers. That's why the real military shows such contempt for them. They're portraying the characters as every-day people whose real lives are a long ways away from this war -- Alicia as a baker, Welkin as a biologist, and so on. So why wouldn't they have sophomoresque love problems? There may be "more important things to worry about", but being close to the one they love is also important to people at their age (especially if they don't know what the future will bring).

As for Welkin's arrested development... well, that's the way they've presented his character from day one, so I don't find this so surprising. He's intellectually smart, but socially inept, and completely inept when it comes to women (as we learned from the stories of his college days). Plus, Alicia is a woman under his command who, in his mind, probably deserves better than him. He's thinking like an introvert. Here too, although I totally agree that it's frustrating in some ways, I don't think it's some great inconsistency beyond simply being a well-advertised character flaw that has been played up in the show.

I guess it just comes down to being able to suspend your disbelief and accept the premise the show is giving you. I personally don't see it as being much more or less believable than any other shounen romance plot, but it's probably just me... Like I said, I'm not at all trying to say that people are wrong to feel the way they do, just wanting to point out that there's another way of looking at it as well.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:15   Link #92
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Thats why the war should be shocking experience.

Those who live with the war can act the way you say - rather carelessly in the face of death, but those who are not used to it - usually it has a very strong effect (you just have to read few rememberings of first or second world war to know what I mean).

Those who are used to the war can have such carefree attitude but those who are not, well lets say its very unrealistic. A war has much greater effect to a baker than to a soldier (who was a soldier before a war), thats why I find it unrealistic the way they cope with the stuff and just go on about their silly school drama.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:39   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Thats why the war should be shocking experience.

Those who live with the war can act the way you say - rather carelessly in the face of death, but those who are not used to it - usually it has a very strong effect (you just have to read few rememberings of first or second world war to know what I mean).

Those who are used to the war can have such carefree attitude but those who are not, well lets say its very unrealistic. A war has much greater effect to a baker than to a soldier (who was a soldier before a war), thats why I find it unrealistic the way they cope with the stuff and just go on about their silly school drama.
Well, I think that, as the show goes on, the more profound effects of the war will begin to show in these peoples lives. I don't think it's going to end on as happy a note as we've had in the early episodes, and I'm sure that's on purpose. Most of the poems that were written about the wars were written upon reflection, and we're not yet in a position to really reflect (though we're getting there).

But the other thing I want to say is... as much as I've been saying the shounen romance aspect of the show doesn't bother me, I think people focus on it a lot more than the show does. It's an on-going plot point that ties the episodes together, but there's plenty of other stuff going on as well with all of the characters. People just get so fixated on this aspect for some reason that it becomes the central focus of our conversation.
Old 2009-07-23, 14:41   Link #94
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

As I've made pretty clear in other threads, I don't particularly care for a lot of the decisions made for this adaptation either. However, I think people are expecting a bit too much in regards to the realism of war here. I never got the impression that either the anime or the game was meant to be a completely serious and realistic portrayal of war. Yeah, there are scenes like the cabin incident that do try to show the horror of war, and it is a big part of the main plot, but there are also things like 12 year olds running around yelling that they're super girl while gunning down battle-hardened grunts and then giggling and cheering everytime they kill one.

The game had a serious storyline overall, sure, but it wasn't a super gritty trauma-filled nightmare like people seem to be expecting the anime to be. Just from seeing the character designs as well as the chibi first ED I figured it was pretty obvious that wouldn't be the case.
Old 2009-07-23, 15:18   Link #95
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But the other thing I want to say is... as much as I've been saying the shounen romance aspect of the show doesn't bother me, I think people focus on it a lot more than the show does. It's an on-going plot point that ties the episodes together, but there's plenty of other stuff going on as well with all of the characters. People just get so fixated on this aspect for some reason that it becomes the central focus of our conversation.
No, that's the problem. It IS the main plot now. They've spent far, far more time on this than any other aspect of the show the entire time it's run.

Even before the show aired the news coming out was that the anime would focus more on the romantic story than the war story, so to be honest, it was at that point that many of us should have (or did) realized, "Oh crap."

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-23, 15:35   Link #96
Snowman24

I'm starting to forget that this is an anime about war, the new opening has more action scenes then they've pretty much done so far.
Old 2009-07-23, 16:00   Link #97
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Even before the show aired the news coming out was that the anime would focus more on the romantic story than the war story, so to be honest, it was at that point that many of us should have (or did) realized, "Oh crap."
I did back then, and i'm doing it again because i didn't think they'd completely take out the war story like they have done.
Old 2009-07-24, 02:24   Link #98
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

I dont post much and mostly read comments

but i couldnt contain myself from saying that alicia seems to be one of those girls desperate to get laid and welkin needs to come out of closet and declare himself gay

annoying anime
Old 2009-07-24, 02:35   Link #99
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post
I dont post much and mostly read comments

but i couldnt contain myself from saying that alicia seems to be one of those girls desperate to get laid and welkin needs to come out of closet and declare himself gay

annoying anime
I don't mind how they portray Alicia. BTW, your comment seems a little harsh about her character.

However, I already stated anime!Welkin is the worst protagonist in all anime history from the way he was portrayed so far and nothing can improve that status. If something is really annoying, it's clearly Welkin who looks like a real jack@$$ of a young adult.
Old 2009-07-24, 02:40   Link #100
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterSeeker View Post
This. From teh anime it's obvious that "keeping friendships" is more important to him.
That's a very cheap excuse to do so when anybody can see from miles out that Alicia doesn't give a damn about Faldio. Until further notice, it's never a well-kept friendship that carries the seeds for a future (just basic common sense ).
Closed Thread