Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-29, 21:22   Link #1
Katsuo
eh?

Looking for some good comedy/romance manga

So, usually I just stick with anime, but lately I've been attached to manga over anime simply because the story gets so much deeper and tends to continue past the final episode of the anime.

I have a few manga I'm reading, but are currently put on hold every week due to it being an on-going manga. In other words, it's not needed, but it would be nice if the series is complete. I'm looking for something along the lines of Kimi No Iru Machi. It doesn't matter if it's a love triangle or not, but I'm looking for something with good romance and comedy as well.

Something where the main characters become a couple is a must. I can't stand it when they end the series, make it seem like they are going to become a couple, but you never actually find out.

As for character types, the guy I couldn't really care about as long as he isn't the biggest loser, but not Mr. Hot-shot either. As for the girl, I'm looking for something similar to Kimi No Iru Machi's Eba, where she's fun, cute and kind but not over the top energetic. Just an overall nice person.

Of course you don't need to meet every expectation, I just really want a nice long and good comedy with a solid romance.
Old 2009-09-29, 23:01   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Have you ever seen or read Maison Ikkoku?
Old 2009-09-29, 23:22   Link #3
Katsuo
eh?

Nope, but I did see it get mentioned in the thread just below this one and I am about to check it out as we speak.
Old 2009-09-30, 00:50   Link #4
Theowne
耳をすませば

Maison Ikkoku is, as far as I'm concerned, the standard for romance comedies.

Nodame Cantabile made a good shot at the title.

Kare Kano is great as well.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-09-30, 03:50   Link #5
Evelyn Arisato
Devil Summoner

Send a message via MSN to Evelyn Arisato Send a message via Yahoo to Evelyn Arisato
Hmm..
I think the good one romance and comedy manga is Kodomo no Omocha
have you ever read that ?
but, that manga was created long time ago (at my place, it's released at 2005).
Old 2009-09-30, 03:54   Link #6
Katsuo
eh?

Yeah I would have to agree, I like it quite a bit. The only thing that bugs me is that I'm all for more modern drawing. This is a nice change though and the art style reminds me of Ranma 1/2

As far as Nodame Cantabile goes, I've seen quite a few people recommend it over the years, but it never really came to mind. I will be looking this one up now for sure.

And as for Kare Kano, I've read that one. I liked it and would definitely recommend it for others.

Well for now I'll be reading Maison Ikkoku and will probably be checking out Nodame Cantabile as well, but if there's anything else you can throw my way that would be great.
Old 2009-09-30, 08:28   Link #7
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game hasn't ended yet,and I've held off reading the manga until I finish the anime first, but it seems like a good romance. Of course since it hasn't ended yet I don't know whether the ending will fit your criteria.

PS: Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2 have the same mangaka.
Old 2009-10-02, 01:40   Link #8
Katsuo
eh?

Just started reading Cross Game as well and I like it, thanks for the recommendation. And same Mangaka eh? Well I guess that would be why it seemed so familiar.

Maison Ikkoku is, at the moment, one of my favorites. Except it's starting to make me angry!

Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-02, 09:08   Link #9
Esyrja

Well....i dont remember exactly when it is that things pick up on maison ikkoku but you'll have to be patient, the ending is one of the best ones i've ever read on any manga... Lets put it this way, most mangas just kind of fade into the background and you dont remember that much about them until you reread them, but with the ending of maison ikkoku...well it gave me chills (in a good way) when i first read it and i remember it clearly.

But at the same time the reason for that could be because of the pretty long time that it took for the story to get there, but in any case, dont give up it pays off in the end
Old 2009-10-02, 09:35   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Oh yeah Maison Ikkoku has the most satisfying ending ever to a romance story.

Spoiler for Response to spoiler:
Old 2009-10-02, 15:15   Link #11
Katsuo
eh?

Aha I'm not planning on giving this one up, it's one of my favorites by far, it's just so frustrating!
I wont read that spoiler because that would just ruin it, but at least it's nice to know that it has a good ending!
Old 2009-10-02, 19:59   Link #12
velvet nightmare

try itazura na kiss

it'd rank as high as maison ikkoku b/c this series resulted in many spinoffs with tv dramas and such

i know for sure there's a manga but im pretty sure it was never completed because the author passed away so they incorporated the intended ending into the anime, so im not sure which you'd like to go with this one. i know you're asking for manga, but the anime is a pretty damn good watch
Old 2009-10-02, 22:19   Link #13
Katsuo
eh?

Just Finished Maison Ikkoku and it definitely topped my charts for romance/comedy manga so far. As of now I'm reading Cross game.

Aye, I've watched Itazura Na Kiss already and I quite liked that one as well.
Old 2009-10-03, 01:08   Link #14
velvet nightmare

http://www.onemanga.com/Pastel/

try that

i get a similar feeling to kimi no... when reading it
Old 2009-10-06, 02:28   Link #15
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

Since you liked the kimi no iru no machi, why not try Suzuka, from the same mangaka.

...it's hard to do something when you don't have time because of work - missing my NEET days
Old 2009-10-06, 16:37   Link #16
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

Why not try Saiunkoku Monogatari?

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Closed Thread