AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-06-19, 11:53   Link #3861
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ledgem, you're extrapolating everything. There's no such thing as hard or mandatory tutoring. There's good teachers, bad teachers, good subjects, bad subjects. And the push you speak of is everywhere these days. You don't really believe students of medicine follow this loafing strategy you describe as well, do you? There are quite a few other topics I could say the same. And whoever told you what you know most likely hasn't experienced anything more then one, so lets not generalize so much.
Old 2010-06-19, 22:10   Link #3862
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Is there anything wrong with a high red blood cell, white blood cell count with low CO2 levels during a blood test result?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 22:45   Link #3863
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Is there anything wrong with a high red blood cell, white blood cell count with low CO2 levels during a blood test result?
1. Polycythemia
2. Leukocytosis
3. Hypocarbia

The polycythemia and the hypocarbia are usually a chronic reaction to low oxygen intake, otherwise it could signify a problem with hemoglobin oxygen transport systems. Leukocytosis is expected in infections.

If the pathologist notes abnormal morphology of the rbcs and wbcs, it could suggest leukemia but will require further tests. Hypocarbia alone can suggest metabolic alkalosis.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-19, 23:44   Link #3864
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Ledgem, you're extrapolating everything. There's no such thing as hard or mandatory tutoring. There's good teachers, bad teachers, good subjects, bad subjects. And the push you speak of is everywhere these days. You don't really believe students of medicine follow this loafing strategy you describe as well, do you? There are quite a few other topics I could say the same. And whoever told you what you know most likely hasn't experienced anything more then one, so lets not generalize so much.
No, I'm not extrapolating anything. And of course it's a generalization - we're discussing two cultures at large, aren't we? Is it possible to avoid making generalizations under such a broad scope? Am I a bad person for assuming that people wouldn't realize that it's a generalization and that it isn't an absolute truth about everyone and everything? Do people believe every damn thing they read on the internet without thinking?

I never said that the tutoring was mandatory. The point is that there, the schools you go to in Japan are much more critical than here in America, and as such there's a lot of pressure on people to do well on the various exams (particularly entrance exams) to get them into those schools. Hence, going to tutoring after school is an effort to give an advantage and remain competitive against those who are going to tutoring. Oh, I guess it's an extrapolation to claim that a part-time job would be frowned upon because it takes time away from possible studies, but that's my trying to reason out how the original question came to be. After all, I'd never heard that it was frowned upon, myself, but I take it that the question was raised because this was something that was observed.

I took a few years of Japanese, and heard what I shared from multiple Japanese teachers. Those were people who were born and raised in Japan. But you know what? Since people are neg-rep happy and enjoy being argumentive even though I'm just trying to share what little shred of knowledge I have to someone who was seemingly interested in the topic, maybe I should include a disclaimer here that it isn't an absolute truth about every single person in Japan and that the differences are things I've noted on my own, so think about my words but don't just accept them as the explanation for everything.

Thanks.
Old 2010-06-20, 00:29   Link #3865
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
1. Polycythemia
2. Leukocytosis
3. Hypocarbia

The polycythemia and the hypocarbia are usually a chronic reaction to low oxygen intake, otherwise it could signify a problem with hemoglobin oxygen transport systems. Leukocytosis is expected in infections.

If the pathologist notes abnormal morphology of the rbcs and wbcs, it could suggest leukemia but will require further tests. Hypocarbia alone can suggest metabolic alkalosis.
My hemotocrit levels are normal : it is just that I was hospitalised for hyperventilation last night. The blood test results state that I have higher RBC (2.93) and WBC (2.8x) levels accompanied by below average CO2 (1.8) levels in my bloodstream, but the rest are normal (myoglobin, etc).

I am still reeling from the effects of breathlessness and I am thinking of taking another trip down to the hospital.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-20, 01:35   Link #3866
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
My hemotocrit levels are normal : it is just that I was hospitalised for hyperventilation last night. The blood test results state that I have higher RBC (2.93) and WBC (2.8x) levels accompanied by below average CO2 (1.8) levels in my bloodstream, but the rest are normal (myoglobin, etc).

I am still reeling from the effects of breathlessness and I am thinking of taking another trip down to the hospital.
Well there's your problem! Hyperventilation reduces blood CO2 leading to hypocarbia, metabolic alkalosis and respiratory acidosis. Signs and symptoms are usually neurological and can vary depending on the degree of hypocarbia.
Old 2010-06-20, 10:16   Link #3867
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
How does one introduce anime and manga studies to a group of people (who have never heard of anime and manga as a serious study subject)?
Old 2010-06-20, 10:35   Link #3868
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Depending of the group of peoples.
But I would suggest the ''comparaison with something serious than they well know'' approach.
Old 2010-06-20, 12:41   Link #3869
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well there's your problem! Hyperventilation reduces blood CO2 leading to hypocarbia, metabolic alkalosis and respiratory acidosis. Signs and symptoms are usually neurological and can vary depending on the degree of hypocarbia.
I thought hyperventilation resets the CO2 levels in the blood to equilibrium level as it perceives that there isn't enough oxygen in the bloodstream.

Old 2010-06-20, 22:16   Link #3870
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
How does one introduce anime and manga studies to a group of people (who have never heard of anime and manga as a serious study subject)?
First you need to make sure that this group of people sees any kind of pop culture as a subject worthy of serious study. >_> A lot of people can't appreciate consumer media.

Then, I'd suggest introducing them to serious, probably old classic anime . Nothing uber popular and tagged as a kiddie/pubescent fanboy series (Dragonball for instance), nothing overloading on moe. And Miyazaki will be your best friend; for some reason or another, people see his works on a much higher level than other anime, even though what he makes is anime too; most won't mind appreciating his stuff.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 00:33   Link #3871
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
I thought hyperventilation resets the CO2 levels in the blood to equilibrium level as it perceives that there isn't enough oxygen in the bloodstream.
Not necessarily because of the Bohr Effect, which states that as CO2 and/or proton concentration in the blood increases, hemoglobin affinity for Oxygen decreases. Increased breathing is the only effective expulsion compensatory response for an increase in blood CO2 levels because CO2 is more easily released from the blood than O2. By hyperventilating you release more CO2 than the usual rate, which if there was no imbalance in the first place causes an imbalance between acids and bicarbonates. pH increases and you have a net increase in bicarbonates which makes blood more alkaline. Your body's compensatory response would be to piss out more bicarbonates in your urine to bring back pH to the 7.35-7.45 range.

In the ideal sense you should only hyperventilate if you actually have dropped blood pH levels as a compensation. Dropped CO2 levels CAN be normal if your acid-base balance is normal and/or blood pH is in the normal range.

In either case it depends on the entirety of your Arterial Blood Gases (ABG) panel to see if the CO2 drop is normal or not.
Old 2010-06-21, 16:32   Link #3872
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Silly question time....

Recently it's cold, and whenever i turn on the heater and do not leave so much rooms for inflowing air. I got a headache. Then slightly open the door will immediately end this

My guess is because of the heat air lead to slightly higher pressure and a thinner oxygen concentration -> headache. Anyone can confirm this?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-06-21 at 16:46.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 16:42   Link #3873
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I doubt that, otherwise heaters would come with warnings about suffocation for people who are sensitive to oxygen concentrations.

I have a few guesses:
1) Your heater might be putting out some sort of chemical in the air (perhaps carbon dioxide generation) that you're sensitive to;

2) Heaters tend to "dry the air" - some people are very sensitive to humidity levels (or lack thereof)

3) Sudden heat could cause a dilation of blood vessels, inducing a headache.

In all three cases, keeping the door open allows for an equilibrium to be maintained more easily. Granted, none of the three seem terribly likely to me, but who knows...
Old 2010-06-21, 16:54   Link #3874
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

It's an electric one so CO2 is not an issue. And even at low watt but with a shut door, it still cause headache while at a higher one it does not. So the 3rd option is unlikely as well.

Yeah it could be due to the lack of moisture in the air. Let turn on the moisture machine and see if it will go away

Thank there
Old 2010-06-21, 17:13   Link #3875
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Silly question time....

Recently it's cold, and whenever i turn on the heater and do not leave so much rooms for inflowing air. I got a headache. Then slightly open the door will immediately end this

My guess is because of the heat air lead to slight higher pressure and a thinner oxygen concentration -> headache. Anyone can confirm this?
The equilibrium in an open system for air is always constant. In your case it would be a semi-open system, so the partial pressure of oxygen should remain at 21% of the overall atmospheric gas. However this is diatomic oxygen, not single oxygen atoms, so the heat from your heater may have dissociated them when intaking air to heat up, and when they leave they heater in monoatomic versions, they immediately bond with other molecules to achieve chemical stability, attributing to the loss of oxygen in the air rather than the idea of hot air.

I discounted the idea of having free oxygen radicals in the air due to its high electronegativity : it is more likely to form molecular bonds than remain in its singular atom state.

It could also be the increased body temperature that tells the body to take in more oxygen and result in the headache. Ask our resident doc-to-be.....I am not good in biology.

EDIT : Recently I have taken up the hobby of verbal prankstering and I am starting to enjoy the "let's kill this guy" look from people's face. Usually it goes something like :

Friend : Don't ask so many questions. Curiosity kills the cat.
Me : I thought cats have more than one life.
Friend : *cringes and shows that look*

or

Friend : The government's new CPF policy rules are just using our money to pay for their investment failures!
Me : I thought the money was given to us by the government in the first place.

or

Bad-tempered female friend of mine : It is nice of you to send me and my sis off.
Me : Yah. Sorry I couldn't get you both white lilies.
*gets punched*

I am starting to ENJOY seeing the annoyed looks on their faces. Am I crazy or what?

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-06-21 at 19:55.
Old 2010-06-22, 00:57   Link #3876
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
EDIT : Recently I have taken up the hobby of verbal prankstering and I am starting to enjoy the "let's kill this guy" look from people's face. Usually it goes something like :

Friend : Don't ask so many questions. Curiosity kills the cat.
Me : I thought cats have more than one life.

or

Friend : The government's new CPF policy rules are just using our money to pay for their investment failures!
Me : I thought the money was given to us by the government in the first place.

or

Bad-tempered female friend of mine : It is nice of you to send me and my sis off.
Me : Yah. Sorry I couldn't get you both white lilies.
*gets punched*

I am starting to ENJOY seeing the annoyed looks on their faces. Am I crazy or what?
Well... enjoy seeing the annoyed looks on people's faces are not fine. You simply turned into a sadist if you enjoy doing so (good thing about that is: if you turn psycho, you will be promoted from 'mad man' to "super evil villain" )

But that kind of teasing are quite normal through. I love the last one. The problem in my case is: most of my friends or relatives probably won't realise the anime subtext of it. So it will never work
Old 2010-06-22, 11:38   Link #3877
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
A set of pages back you were wondering and talking about the troubles of friendship and friends being mean to you.. and you didn't understand why they were acting like the way they do usually...
To me this isn't really a silly question anymore either.. you're not a sadist to me it seems more like attention begging
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-22, 11:49   Link #3878
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
A set of pages back you were wondering and talking about the troubles of friendship and friends being mean to you.. and you didn't understand why they were acting like the way they do usually...
Nonono not to that bunch of people......those are the people who cannot take jokes so I don't play these on them. Neither do I mix with them anymore.

I guess I started subconsciously doing this because I wanted to know who are my real friends or not. I have always stuck with self-righteous inclined types due to my liking of their character and willingness to take a stand : apparently not all of them are for beliefs due to understanding, some of them are acting big so as to cow people into submitting to them for their personal benefit.

It is kind of unfortunate that I only recently realised that a small margin, smaller than the size of a handful of these kind of stubborn people, are those who truly understand that there is no standardised right and wrong for all situations, and you don't benefit yourself when you don't benefit others as well because you make more enemies (some of them are worth making anyway).

Besides I don't think there is anything wrong with my statements. It is either simple logic presented in the most straightforward and critical way, or harmless. It feels better for me not to pander up to other people's egos to save my own skin : don't like the feeling of being a douchebag.

Old 2010-06-22, 12:22   Link #3879
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Recently I have taken up the hobby of verbal prankstering and I am starting to enjoy the "let's kill this guy" look from people's face.
Careful how you go about it. Those you hurt won't just stay silent and should you go too far you may find you've been labeled as some cretin or some other trouble you did not with for among others. Also, you say you did it to find who your real friends are, but how is going around stabbing people to see who won't bite back actually working to that end. I think you've been watching too much anime and have this warped vision of "real friends" in your head. What if you don't find anyone and just push back everyone else with your stunts?

Well, to each his own poison. Good luck with your social experiments.
Old 2010-06-22, 14:25   Link #3880
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Careful how you go about it. Those you hurt won't just stay silent and should you go too far you may find you've been labeled as some cretin or some other trouble you did not with for among others. Also, you say you did it to find who your real friends are, but how is going around stabbing people to see who won't bite back actually working to that end. I think you've been watching too much anime and have this warped vision of "real friends" in your head. What if you don't find anyone and just push back everyone else with your stunts?

Well, to each his own poison. Good luck with your social experiments.
I guess it would all depend. I wasn't a people-person to begin with, however I do enjoy meeting new people. However what irks me is that the more people I met, it is like only 2/10 or 3/10 have that kind of real original character and are able to see things from outside out and outside-in perspectives rather than the one that attends to local realism.

If you ask me, real friends don't leave their friends in a lurch or use them like cloths till ragged. I have seen a number of bad mouthed and even antisocial people in the army who are willing to lend a hand in sending their bunkmates to the nearest medical centre, while some who are just jolly and friendly shirk at even helping to get their buddy a toilet roll. It is the number that simply disturbed me - apparently Kaspersky didn't come up with his lauded "negative" view of humanity for nothing.

Secondly, it is starting to work in a way I didn't hope would happen......someone was spreading rumours about me on facebook that I am a porn addict who watches anime for hentai. That guy was one whom I teased a few days ago and blew up, and his posts about an "old perverted someone" dated back to last month. Another otaku friend of mine (who hardly even facebooks) pointed that out to me and told me to stop mixing with him. This guy is none other than the one which I don't regard as a friend anymore and I had suspected of backstabbing me all the time. Can't believe I was wrong about him for close to 6-7 years.

Regarding the "watching too much anime" part.....you have to keep in mind that anime are usually based on slices of life exaggerated outwards. Tune them down and you get some hard truth you probably have trouble stomaching. Like any form of media aired and created by human, the essence of humanity will still be resident - it simply shows people at their worst in the worst situations.

Probably I will keep it this way. Time to take my "circle of friends" under a restructure : it is a pity that the best ones I had in the past are no longer around. Wish those wild days of hanging around at the void deck and game arcades with "antisocial"/"problematic"/"bad attitude" (or what their schools calls them) eccentrics smart enough to get into top foreign universities are still around - I really missed being with real people.

Then again, I am very glad that I had once mixed with them despite being told to keep away from these "useless scum of the society". I am beginning to believe that one shouldn't lower his standard or even guard when it comes to making friends.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-06-22 at 14:35.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious