Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-02-18, 13:13   Link #4241
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Definitely one of the odder ways to get the series' tank specs published together with UC Mobile Weaponry. Also to get the girls dressed in oversized (and REVEALING) Feddie and Zeke uniforms like so:
Gundam + WWII tanks + highschool girls in a recursive display of geekery unmatched in the annals of Otakudom... I wonder if I can find a copy?

Meanwhile, here's the beginning of my new project...
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-02-18, 13:35   Link #4242
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Definitely one of the odder ways to get the series' tank specs published together with UC Mobile Weaponry. Also to get the girls dressed in oversized (and REVEALING) Feddie and Zeke uniforms like so:
So where is the infamous bust chart?

Still waiting...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 13:38   Link #4243
Sumeragi
Banned

You mean this?

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 13:40   Link #4244
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You mean this?

Ah hahahah, that.

Where is Kei?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2013-02-18, 13:45   Link #4245
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

She's being hidden by Nonna.

Endless "Shadow" Soul
Old 2013-02-18, 14:42   Link #4246
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Gundam + WWII tanks + highschool girls in a recursive display of geekery unmatched in the annals of Otakudom... I wonder if I can find a copy?
Great, now I really want something along the lines of: Girls and Warbirds, so I can see Valkyries + WWII fighters + highschool girls in a recursive display of geekery

- Tak

Old 2013-02-18, 21:00   Link #4247
rocket
Senior and Demented

I'm not sure about that chart... Erwin and Ryo Us (sp?) seem too far left. And where's Ceasar or Katyusha?! We demand better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Great, now I really want something along the lines of: Girls and Warbirds, so I can see Valkyries + WWII fighters + highschool girls in a recursive display of geekery

- Tak
Hm... Would that be Valkyries of the Strike Witch variety, or Valkyries of the variable fighter variety? I'm just wonderin' 'cause I'd be up for either really...
Old 2013-02-19, 03:00   Link #4248
SatelliteCannon

I'm so glad someone made that Gundam/Panzers artbook. Zeon parallels the German tank development line so well; it is the same with Shermans -> GMs. Or maybe T-34s make a better analogue?

I guess one of the reasons this anime series will go far is that its effectively half a mecha series...
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 03:02   Link #4249
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Hm... Would that be Valkyries of the Strike Witch variety, or Valkyries of the variable fighter variety? I'm just wonderin' 'cause I'd be up for either really...
Given the context of the discussion, it's the latter. Also, I've never heard "valkyries" be applied in the context of Strike Witches before.

Images
Ankou Team Card Sleeve Covers

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 10:43   Link #4250
Gravitas Free Zone

I thought that I'd posted this yesterday, but maybe I put it in the wrong forum and it got nuked, or I pressed cancel instead of post, or... well, anyway, here's another go.

Images
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 10:44   Link #4251
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Given the context of the discussion, it's the latter. Also, I've never heard "valkyries" be applied in the context of Strike Witches before.
Well I was wondering because I couldn't think of which girls or which WWII fighters to pair with which Variable fighter... though I guess one doesn't need to be so literal. UC Gundam Zeon has a serious German army fetish so the parallels are pretty easy to draw.

Not sure that the Gundams however really properly match any WWII tech tree, allied or otherwise. Even the screen writer realized how implausible the teenage robot story mold was and ends up relying on the newtype stuff as a way of reinstating martial qualities of spirit, mental toughness, and so-on into post-feudal mechanized world.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:10   Link #4252
4Tran

Quote:
Not sure that the Gundams however really properly match any WWII tech tree, allied or otherwise.
They don't. World War II designs were dictated by doctrine, and it's pretty clear how each machine ended up the way it did. Everything is meant to fulfill a desired role, and all production trade-offs are made with those in mind.

Mobile Suit Gundam's progression shares much more in common with relatively doctrine-free technology as found in World War I aircraft design. There, the idea is mostly just to make something better than what they currently have.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:32   Link #4253
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

More complete translation of that history of senshado:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Translation
Later, female gladiators existed in Rome who would hold exhibition races while wearing dazzling costumes. The suggestiveness of things like the costumes flipping up in the wind or being torn during crashes made these races extremely popular. Even after the collapse of the western Roman empire, sensha races remained even more popular than gladiatorial battles in the eastern Roman empire, but gradually, due steep jumps in the operation expenses of sensha teams and the increasing difficulty of maintaining the nation during its decline, with the eastern Roman empire's downfall sensha races also disappeared. Because of the fact that sensha races didn't spread into other countries afterward, the mainstream opinion is that they weren't the direct origin of Senshadou.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 11:49   Link #4254
4Tran

Hah, it's pretty neat that Japanese can use the same phrase (戦車) for chariot and tank. A bit amusing too since the Japanese never used chariots in combat and it can be said that they never used tanks well in combat!
Old 2013-02-19, 13:03   Link #4255
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Hah, it's pretty neat that Japanese can use the same phrase (戦車) for chariot and tank. A bit amusing too since the Japanese never used chariots in combat and it can be said that they never used tanks well in combat!
The word sensha is, like a majority of Japanese written nouns, originated from China, which has a long history of chariot-warfare until the late Han Dynasty.

Chinese, Korean and Japanese use the phrase 戦車/戰車 to designated armored fighting vehicles.

OTOH, yeah... the Japanese has a poor track record when it comes to armored warfare. None of Japan's AFVs were deployed the way their European counterparts did. Though this is somewhat understandable as a majority of Japan's ground warfare experience consisted of bogged down jungle combat where tank deployment was limited at best. Though in August of 1945, they certainly witnessed what the Soviets could do. Its not a pleasant experience, to say the least...

- Tak

Old 2013-02-19, 14:39   Link #4256
Gravitas Free Zone

Momo... cleans up well?

Images

On the other topic... it's interesting to consider the Japanese otaku interest in armored warfare as perhaps a reaction to the fact that they weren't very good at it, and, well, occupy a geographical position that makes it somewhat uncommon. Well, except for the whole Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere thing.
Old 2013-02-19, 14:58   Link #4257
4Tran

I think that a lot of that interest comes from the popularity of the Japanese modelling scene.
Old 2013-02-19, 15:18   Link #4258
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
On the other topic... it's interesting to consider the Japanese otaku interest in armored warfare as perhaps a reaction to the fact that they weren't very good at it
Its interesting to note that while the Japanese air force and the navy were considered world class, its army was pretty much stuck in the 1920s...

- Tak

Old 2013-02-19, 15:43   Link #4259
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Its interesting to note that while the Japanese air force and the navy were considered world class, its army was pretty much stuck in the 1920s...
It was adequate versus the Chinese opposition at the start, but the rest of the war showed just how slowly the army adapted to the situation.
Old 2013-02-19, 15:52   Link #4260
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Given the overall quality and reliability of their Chinese opposition, it was adequate... :\
Its further interesting to note that an average German infantry in 1918 is better equipped than their Japanese counterpart in 1941.

That being said, I cannot help but wonder what the Japanese Army was thinking when they made little to no improvement to the equipment of the Japanese Army after the United States joined the war. Japanese squad-based weaponry did not appear until 1945 and little improvement was made to existing equipment.

Forget tanks, the IJN didn't even have an effective anti-tank gun. The T-34 & Shermans were being shot left & right in Europe whereas the IJN had no effective weaponry to deal with the M4.

- Tak

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks